Poll

What are your three favorite Opeth records?

Orchid
7 (1.1%)
Morningrise
15 (2.3%)
My Arms, Your Hearse
26 (4%)
Still Life
81 (12.3%)
Blackwater Park
161 (24.5%)
Deliverance
43 (6.5%)
Damnation
53 (8.1%)
Ghost Reveries
152 (23.1%)
Watershed
66 (10%)
Heritage
21 (3.2%)
Pale Communion
32 (4.9%)

Total Members Voted: 224

Voting closed: June 13, 2020, 08:32:34 AM

Author Topic: The official Opeth thread v. In Cauda Venenum  (Read 180851 times)

me7 and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
Re: The official Opeth thread v. Pale Communion
« Reply #385 on: September 17, 2014, 03:02:59 AM »
Alcest is really, really good. Haven't listened to them in a long time though. I can't wait for the Opeth show in Amsterdam in November!  :metal

Offline Mladen

« Reply #386 on: September 17, 2014, 03:27:25 AM »
Alc-what?

Got my ticket for the Vienna show.  :metal

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #387 on: September 17, 2014, 03:50:27 PM »
Not a single bad track on this album, and great flow too. Album opener and closer are among their best! Album has really come to life for me the last few weeks.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #388 on: September 17, 2014, 07:16:25 PM »
I don't wanna get into a heated debate, but although I did enjoy this one more than Heritage I sure miss the old Opeth a fucking lot.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #389 on: September 17, 2014, 09:56:02 PM »
I love u darklol.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #390 on: September 17, 2014, 11:46:09 PM »
I don't wanna get into a heated debate, but although I did enjoy this one much more than Heritage I sure miss the old Opeth a fucking lot.

FTFM

The more I listen to Pale Communion the better it gets, this album is really great, although I did have very low expectations. But to think that there will never be an album in the old Opeth style makes me kinda sad.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #391 on: September 18, 2014, 02:19:50 AM »
I've only listened to the album a couple of times so far and I really can't remember much from it for now. I have to say though that the main keyboard riff in Eternal Rains (the one that starts around 2:30) has been stuck in my head for the last couple of days.

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #392 on: September 18, 2014, 03:14:22 AM »
I've only listened to the album a couple of times so far and I really can't remember much from it for now. I have to say though that the main keyboard riff in Eternal Rains (the one that starts around 2:30) has been stuck in my head for the last couple of days.

Yeah. That one's great!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #393 on: September 18, 2014, 01:48:24 PM »
A buddy and I listened to the 5.1 Blu-ray on his surround sound system last night.  Yeah, it "sounded" freaking awesome. 

I'm still gonna say it comes up a tad short of being a great album overall, but it's still very, very good.

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #394 on: September 19, 2014, 01:54:39 PM »
Ok.. To be honest, I really didn´t like this album at all when I heard it, but now it finally clicked.
The "singles" are still my favorites, but I´ve come to appreciate the overall feeling of this album.
I can´t stand Heritage at all. I am a big 70´s prog guy, but still I just cant get into it. I feel like this album is more "Opethish", like a mix of the proggy parts of Watershed with a bit of Damnation thrown in.

Opeth (up to Watershed) is in my top 5 of favorite bands of all time. I really hope they continue to evolve, and realizes that they can´t continue to completely abandone their metal-roots. I would love for them to make a proggy metal-album without growling for the next album. Parts of Harlequin Forest and The Lotus Eater are perfectly good examples of how they could make such a thing.

Please forgive me.. this post was written after three glasses of red wine  :P

Offline snowdog

« Reply #395 on: September 19, 2014, 05:44:18 PM »
A buddy and I listened to the 5.1 Blu-ray on his surround sound system last night.  Yeah, it "sounded" freaking awesome. 

I'm still gonna say it comes up a tad short of being a great album overall, but it's still very, very good.
Unless he's got a corrected version I'd say it can sound a lot better than you heard.  I was amazed at the difference of correcting the 5.1 files I ripped to my PC.

Offline adastra

« Reply #396 on: September 29, 2014, 04:07:20 AM »
Here are some of my thoughts about the Pale Communion.
I have listened it for about 20 times now. There are some nice moments but most of the album just doesn't feel good :( .

Eternal Rains Will Come and Elysian Woes are great songs!  I love them both.

Moon Above, Sun Below
and Faith In Others are both decent songs, but nothing remarkable.

Cusp Of Eternity, River and Voice of Treason are pretty bad... IMHO.  First 3 minutes of Voice Of Treason sounds so weak. I can't believe that they recorded something like this.

Goblin is a complete joke.

So, In conclusion,  I like couple of songs, but most of it just doesn't click for me.  I don't mind that there is now growls so no problem with that. I'm trying to say that IMO  the songwriting is just weak. And best example of that is the beginning of Voice Of Treason.
I remember the days when I thought that Åkerfeldt had propably the best clean vocals ever!  But somehow I don't the vocals on Pale Communion. Maybe someone else should sing in Opeth? :p

Propably won't be listening to Pale Communion very much anymore, I gave my copy of the cd to my friend.
 :P
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #397 on: September 29, 2014, 04:09:29 AM »
River bad? River is awesome!

Offline adastra

« Reply #398 on: September 29, 2014, 05:00:19 AM »
Haha,  I think that beginning is kinda ok, BUT it doesn't sound like Opeth at all.  Well, who i am to say what Opeth sounds like, but for me it sounds like another nod to some Åkerfeldts favourite band.
The guitar solo is amazing. Best solo on the album , but after that when the song starts to gets all proggy It totally loses me.
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #399 on: October 01, 2014, 10:19:33 AM »
Just got a shipping confirmation from Warner. Seems like it's the blu ray replacement disc.  :metal

Offline 425

« Reply #400 on: October 01, 2014, 02:32:33 PM »
This isn't on the topic of Pale Communion, but does anyone have The Candlelight Years box set? I'm considering buying it because it would be much cheaper than buying Orchid, Morningrise and My Arms, Your Hearse separately (each of those is like $12 and the box set is $16 total on Amazon), but I'm one of those people who likes to have artwork, booklets, etc. I'm interested if anyone can describe what any packaging/booklets for that set are like as well as recommendations as to whether I should get it or buy each of those three albums separately.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Onno

« Reply #401 on: October 01, 2014, 03:08:25 PM »
I have it. It includes one booklet with lyrics & stuff. It's pretty good. No artwork for the independent albums I think. Also, the sound is really compressed, but if you're not an audiophile you probably won't mind.

Offline 425

« Reply #402 on: October 01, 2014, 03:16:53 PM »
Thanks for the description!

It might bother me some that the sound is compressed. How bad are we talking here?
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Onno

« Reply #403 on: October 01, 2014, 03:40:05 PM »
Do you own Still Life on CD? It's compressed a bit like that one. Have a look on here: https://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list/year?artist=opeth

Offline 425

« Reply #404 on: October 01, 2014, 04:09:41 PM »
I don't own Still Life, actually (I know, I know. It's the only one aside from the aforementioned three that I have yet to get, and I'm planning to get all four at once). Thanks for the link, though!
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #405 on: October 01, 2014, 09:11:57 PM »
Do you own Still Life on CD? It's compressed a bit like that one. Have a look on here: https://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list/year?artist=opeth

in fairness to the Candlelight set, it doesn't look like the original releases of those albums were exactly blazing the trail for dynamic sound.

Keep in mind that the versions of the albums in the set have bonus tracks that are dragging the overall DR down for each one.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #406 on: October 01, 2014, 10:02:04 PM »

in fairness to the Candlelight set, it doesn't look like the original releases of those albums were exactly blazing the trail for dynamic sound.

Keep in mind that the versions of the albums in the set have bonus tracks that are dragging the overall DR down for each one.
Indeed. Into The Frost Of Winter, the bonus track on Orchid, for example sounds much, much worse than the rest of the album. Honestly, it's practically unlistenable. The rest of the album sounds fine, a bit primitive, but better than a lot of present day recordings. I wouldn't get too hung up on the sound and compression, it's really not that bad.

Offline Onno

« Reply #407 on: October 02, 2014, 03:23:19 AM »
That's true, I see your point. I have to say that Orchid and Morningrise don't really sound very compressed, the production just isn't that fantastic. MAYH does though, though the production/mix on that one is a quite rough too.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #408 on: October 02, 2014, 11:07:45 AM »
The album has finally arrived, and after first listen I'm not sure, I think Heritage is better. But Heritage had its time to grow on me, so I guess I'll keep listening.

I love the bonus live cover of Var Kommer Barnen In so much though.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #409 on: October 02, 2014, 11:26:11 AM »
I love u darklol.
Let's engage in angry foreplay to the rhythm of Deliverance.

:-*
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline krands85

« Reply #410 on: October 02, 2014, 03:47:58 PM »
PC has definitely grown on me a fair bit now. Sure, I prefer their older style with the blend of heavy and mellow parts, but I'm enjoying this for what it is. Looking forward to seeing them live again in a couple of weeks now :metal
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

• DT.net Member
« Reply #411 on: October 03, 2014, 12:54:17 AM »
I love u darklol.
Let's engage in angry foreplay to the rhythm of Deliverance.

:-*

Can your lithe frame withstand that sixteenth note nine tuplet during the outro section?

Of course it can.

:floydapproves:
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline krands85

« Reply #412 on: October 06, 2014, 05:37:27 AM »
Only four nights away from the start of the European Tour with Alcest and the band is getting all geared up to hit the road again. Wondering what they'll play? Here's from Mike:

”So. we’re gearing up to go out on our first tour in support of ”Pale Communion”. As always, there’s mixed feelings. Parts of me wants to stay home, and the other part wants to go out and rip it up on stages all over the world. That’s always been the case. We’re all very happy with the new record, and the new songs (were rehearsing 5 of them) are sounding good when we play them. If I may say so myself. Overall there seem to be a little bit more focus on older heavier material this time around. We sat down, drank wine and discussed songs we wanted to play, and ended up with a list of 30 or so songs. We’re rehearsing a song from 1996 and it’s probably the funniest one to play. I don’t know why. Maybe because it brings back memories. Some older songs are difficult to get right but nothing compared to the new stuff. We can now choose songs from the 90’s AND the 2000’s. We’re getting old! Anyways, come and see us, whydontcha?
Might be worth it. Metalheads, progheads, music lovers, old and young, male or female. You’re all very welcome!
Cheers!"

Sounds good to me  :D :metal
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Mladen

« Reply #413 on: October 06, 2014, 05:57:52 AM »
Ooh, a ''funny'' song from 1996? Sounds like Nectar to me. They've done Advent and TNATSW a few years ago if I'm not mistaken, Black rose immortal is way too long to be resurrected and To bid you farewell isn't ''older heavier material''.

It's gonna be a good show.  :metal

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #414 on: October 06, 2014, 06:07:49 AM »
This sounds spectacular.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #415 on: October 06, 2014, 07:20:09 AM »
Ooh, a ''funny'' song from 1996? Sounds like Nectar to me. They've done Advent and TNATSW a few years ago if I'm not mistaken, Black rose immortal is way too long to be resurrected and To bid you farewell isn't ''older heavier material''.

It's gonna be a good show.  :metal
Yeah, it's gotta be Nectar. As for the 5 new songs, my guesses are:

Eternal Rains (the opener)
Cusp (the single)
Voice of Treason (a video with some visuals was released on Opeth's official YT channel recently)
Moon Above... (same as VOT, plus it's the epic of the album)
Faith in Others (a lot of people have named this their favorite song from the album and it would work well as the set closer before the encore)

• DT.net Member
« Reply #416 on: October 06, 2014, 08:22:52 AM »
Man, if they do Nectar I'm gonna be forced to go to a show I'd planned on sitting out.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #417 on: October 06, 2014, 08:40:52 AM »
Older heavier material, eh? I might actually go to this one.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #418 on: October 06, 2014, 09:08:17 AM »
Only four nights away from the start of the European Tour with Alcest and the band is getting all geared up to hit the road again. Wondering what they'll play? Here's from Mike:

”So. we’re gearing up to go out on our first tour in support of ”Pale Communion”. As always, there’s mixed feelings. Parts of me wants to stay home, and the other part wants to go out and rip it up on stages all over the world. That’s always been the case. We’re all very happy with the new record, and the new songs (were rehearsing 5 of them) are sounding good when we play them. If I may say so myself. Overall there seem to be a little bit more focus on older heavier material this time around. We sat down, drank wine and discussed songs we wanted to play, and ended up with a list of 30 or so songs. We’re rehearsing a song from 1996 and it’s probably the funniest one to play. I don’t know why. Maybe because it brings back memories. Some older songs are difficult to get right but nothing compared to the new stuff. We can now choose songs from the 90’s AND the 2000’s. We’re getting old! Anyways, come and see us, whydontcha?
Might be worth it. Metalheads, progheads, music lovers, old and young, male or female. You’re all very welcome!
Cheers!"

Sounds good to me  :D :metal
Such a classy spokesman.

I really hope they get the heavy material right, and realize that fans miss their heavy shit.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #419 on: October 06, 2014, 09:27:32 AM »
I'm more curious how Mikael's growls will sound. Because on some recent shows, the growls are almost laughably bad. Way off from the superb form he had 7-8 years ago. I love it that they include heavier songs, and I know most fans (myself included) wants to hear them, but if Mikael's voice continues to fade away and the growls continue to get worse, they're not gonna do anyone any favors by butchering old classics.