Poll

What are your three favorite Opeth records?

Orchid
7 (1.1%)
Morningrise
15 (2.3%)
My Arms, Your Hearse
26 (4%)
Still Life
81 (12.3%)
Blackwater Park
161 (24.5%)
Deliverance
43 (6.5%)
Damnation
53 (8.1%)
Ghost Reveries
152 (23.1%)
Watershed
66 (10%)
Heritage
21 (3.2%)
Pale Communion
32 (4.9%)

Total Members Voted: 224

Voting closed: June 13, 2020, 08:32:34 AM

Author Topic: The official Opeth thread v. In Cauda Venenum  (Read 180511 times)

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Re: The official Opeth thread v. Pale Communion
« Reply #665 on: October 18, 2015, 03:42:08 AM »
My report of the 15th 25th anniversary concert in Helsinki: https://www.musicalypse.net/reports/opeth-25th-anniversary-helsinki-2015-eng.php

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #666 on: October 18, 2015, 10:02:16 AM »
Sounds like you didn't enjoy the show very much.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #667 on: October 18, 2015, 11:22:05 AM »
Let me put it this way: it was a good and enjoyable show, but not a great anniversary show. :P The Ghost Reveries set was awesome, but the complete lack of 90s made the second set underwhelming, especially in comparison with the 20th anniversary setlist, which represented each era of the band's history. Maybe they wanted to mix things up this time, but a non-chronological order would've been enough to make it different IMO. If the theme of the tour had been solely the 10th anniversary of GR, I wouldn't have had any special expectations for the second set.

BTW, Mikael mentioned that after this tour they'll start working on their next album, so it's possible that we may have new Opeth material to listen to by the end of 2016.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #668 on: October 18, 2015, 02:07:49 PM »
Maybe MA voice isn't up to extra long sets?
Specially when he is doing a lot of growling, perhaps it takes it's toll?

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #669 on: October 18, 2015, 03:11:56 PM »
Them not playing any 90s stuff is definitely a bit weird in an anniversary set. Still, ALL of Ghost Reveries. I'd love that.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #670 on: October 18, 2015, 05:57:23 PM »
Sucks that they're not doing this tour in the US, except for 2 shows. I'd KILL to see this show, it's my fav album from them. I got no problem with the 2nd set.

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #671 on: October 18, 2015, 10:41:23 PM »
seeing the New York show this week and I'm psyched  :metal
only my second time seeing Opeth, and GR is one of my favorite Opeth albums so color me excited  :hefdaddy

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #672 on: October 19, 2015, 06:35:50 PM »
It'll be my third time seeing Opeth on Thursday, incidentally the third year in a row where I've seen Opeth live in some capacity. As much as the 2nd set leaves me wanting a bit more older songs in the set, I don't mind really since Ghost Reveries is being played in full and its in my top 3 favorite Opeth albums!  :metal

Offline Mladen

« Reply #673 on: October 20, 2015, 04:48:21 AM »
I'm so jealous you guys got Master's apprentices, I would have loved to have heard that one. I feel the dark is also one hell of a surprise indeed.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #674 on: October 20, 2015, 05:25:54 PM »
Saw Opeth last week in Holland. Again, really freakin' great, although I wouldn't say it was better than the previous gig in Holland.

Second set > Ghost Reveries set. Knowing what's coming is less exciting I think, although the extended jam in Atonement was amazing!
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #675 on: October 21, 2015, 10:07:14 AM »
Will be there too! Excited.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #676 on: October 23, 2015, 09:13:14 AM »

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #677 on: October 23, 2015, 06:42:33 PM »
I was there too, it was an awesome show  :metal The only bad part of the night was that we arrived late and I missed part of Ghost of Perdition…  :facepalm: Also, I wanted to take a look at the merch and planned on buying a shirt after the show but apparently everything sold out insanely fast  ???

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #678 on: October 23, 2015, 08:14:39 PM »
Yeah, when I was able to make my way through the inside of the Beacon, a lot of people were lined up already and I decided to get in line before the show cause I had a hunch that if I waited after the show or during intermission, there wouldn't be shirts in my size (I wear size M tees) left. I went to go get beer during intermission and I was surprised that everything sold out. I consider myself super lucky to get the tee with the American dates on back.

That said though, last night was probably the best Opeth show I've ever seen of the three I've been to and not just because of Ghost Reveries live but the other songs as well. :metal It didn't matter to me if they didn't play any full songs pre-Blackwater Park cause most of the songs I haven't heard live yet until last night. I'm usually somewhat of a laid back guy at shows (at least most of them) apart from moderate headbanging, I really went wild with my headbanging throughout the show (except for the less brutal songs of course) that I feel bad in hindsight if it was distracting and ruined the show to those around me :lol. And of course, it's always great to hear Mikael's "stand-up comedy" (if you can call it that) again.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #679 on: October 24, 2015, 05:26:39 AM »
Seems like the band was more relaxed than at the start of the tour - I wish they'd done those song teasers in Helsinki as well...

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #680 on: October 26, 2015, 02:35:33 PM »
The teasers and the jazzified versions of songs were fun.

The hecklers were REALLY annoying though.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #681 on: October 26, 2015, 03:18:41 PM »
I was definitely not one of the hecklers, but I did scream Black Rose Immortal during the teaser bit in an attempt for Mikael to actually play something from it to no avail! :lol Apparently they actually played a section from it at the London show.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #682 on: October 26, 2015, 03:36:51 PM »
I feel like hecklers has become such a big part of Opeth's live shows because Mikael often answers back when people shout stuff. I've only seen them live 3 times, but at every gig, somebody has shouted for Black Rose Immortal. Heck, even at the unplugged gig when they played acoustic songs. On one hand it can be annoying, but it has also resulted in some really hilarious moments. Mikael is very fast to respond and it provides a lot of laughter.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #683 on: October 26, 2015, 03:58:58 PM »

I completely agree. The idiots screaming during Hours of Wealth were getting on my nerves. It's just blatantly disrespectful to the band and incredibly obnoxious. It is unfortunate but it seems to come with the genre.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #684 on: October 26, 2015, 04:13:28 PM »

I completely agree. The idiots screaming during Hours of Wealth were getting on my nerves. It's just blatantly disrespectful to the band and incredibly obnoxious. It is unfortunate but it seems to come with the genre.
Only screams I could do during Hours of Wealth are crying screams :'( such a sad and beautiful song.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #685 on: October 26, 2015, 04:49:44 PM »
The one thing that irked me more than it should were the people who walked out on Isolation Years...like you may not like that song, but the rarity factor of hearing that song live is more than enough for one to stay an extra 3 minutes before taking a piss or grabbing beer cause there's an 15 minute intermission afterwards anyway.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #686 on: October 26, 2015, 04:56:15 PM »
The one thing that irked me more than it should were the people who walked out on Isolation Years...like you may not like that song, but the rarity factor of hearing that song live is more than enough for one to stay an extra 3 minutes before taking a piss or grabbing beer cause there's an 15 minute intermission afterwards anyway.
They played Isolation Years? :O
Now I see it's whole Ghost Reveries. I envy you :/
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #687 on: October 26, 2015, 04:59:19 PM »
yeah, you guys are lucky to hear Isolation Years live.

also, someone should yell "shut the hell up" at the hecklers. I bet that'd be funny.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #688 on: October 26, 2015, 05:37:48 PM »
Isolation Years has always been one of my favorite Opeth songs (top10 probably) and I'm kinda bummed I'll never hear it live. Or well who knows, maybe them playing it now opens the door for them to play it on a future tour.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #689 on: October 26, 2015, 08:01:44 PM »
Isolation Years has always been one of my favorite Opeth songs (top10 probably) and I'm kinda bummed I'll never hear it live. Or well who knows, maybe them playing it now opens the door for them to play it on a future tour.
I believe they played Beneath The Mire for the first time on this tour (I may be wrong) as well and Atonement was played live for the first time in 2013 so I hope the band'll be more open to playing it live on future tours. It's one of my favorites as well and I wanted to shed tears (came really close to tearing up) when I heard it live.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #690 on: October 27, 2015, 08:41:09 AM »
Same thing in Helsinki, though we had a frigging 30-minute intermission. :\ Luckily Finns are quiet, so there were no hecklers during the mellow songs.

I'd like to think at least Beneath the Mire will find its way to future setlists, because that song kicked ass live. :metal
yeah, you guys are lucky to hear Isolation Years live.

also, someone should yell "shut the hell up" at the hecklers. I bet that'd be funny.
Like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MD7t9a5pKg

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #691 on: October 30, 2015, 11:10:20 AM »
I had a sudden urge to listen to Master's Apprentices, so I started Spotify, and suddenly there's 'Deliverance & Damnation' remixed.

Listening to Wreath now. Now it slays even harder! Great organic mixing by Bruce Soord. Drums sound fantastic!
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #692 on: October 30, 2015, 12:17:37 PM »
I had a sudden urge to listen to Master's Apprentices, so I started Spotify, and suddenly there's 'Deliverance & Damnation' remixed.

Listening to Wreath now. Now it slays even harder! Great organic mixing by Bruce Soord. Drums sound fantastic!

Must just be Europe. It's not up on Spotify Canada (or Apple Music).

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #693 on: October 30, 2015, 12:20:21 PM »
yeah, I'm pretty sure it is a European release at this point.  I ordered it last night from Burning Shed.  Although, I do see a listing on Amazon with a Dec release that looks like it might be in the US.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #694 on: October 30, 2015, 12:30:37 PM »
That sounds amazing indeed. And the Steven Wilson remix of Damnation, holy shit  :hefdaddy I need to get this!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #695 on: October 30, 2015, 12:59:06 PM »
Didn't Steven Wilson already mix Damnation originally? Seems weird to get the same guy to remix the album he mixed already.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #696 on: October 30, 2015, 01:53:58 PM »
Didn't Steven Wilson already mix Damnation originally? Seems weird to get the same guy to remix the album he mixed already.

Yeah, and the 5.1 mix is from that original mix too. So presumably it won't be vastly different. In fact, I'd suspect he just wanted a chance to 'undo' the incredibly loud mastering that was applied to the original.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #697 on: October 30, 2015, 03:35:54 PM »
Well, I always thought Damnation sounded pretty decent and a lot better than Deliverance at least. But the new mix on Spotify sounds better than my CD... and that's saying something since I have a very good CD Player which my laptop's sound card doesn't have anything on.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #698 on: November 04, 2015, 11:52:10 PM »
My D&D box set arrived today from BS.
My excitement and happiness soon turned sour.
The book is SO stiff, it's hard to open the book properly, without potentially damaging it.
Even worse is the discs are squeezed so tight in between the cardboard, that getting them out isn't easy
and putting them back is even tougher.

Haven't played them yet, that is for tomorrow at work.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.