Poll

What are your three favorite Opeth records?

Orchid
7 (1.1%)
Morningrise
15 (2.3%)
My Arms, Your Hearse
26 (4%)
Still Life
81 (12.3%)
Blackwater Park
161 (24.5%)
Deliverance
43 (6.5%)
Damnation
53 (8.1%)
Ghost Reveries
152 (23.1%)
Watershed
66 (10%)
Heritage
21 (3.2%)
Pale Communion
32 (4.9%)

Total Members Voted: 224

Voting closed: June 13, 2020, 08:32:34 AM

Author Topic: The official Opeth thread v. In Cauda Venenum  (Read 180555 times)

ZKX-2099 (+ 1 Hidden) and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
Re: The official Opeth thread v. Pale Communion
« Reply #490 on: November 14, 2014, 10:32:21 AM »
Pale Communion has established itself in my mind as the album of the year for me. As much as I would like Opeth to put out another 'death metal' album, PC just does everything right. It does everything right that Heritage failed in (except I really like Folklore). The PC material they played at the show was just jaw-dropping awesome. Adding to that, 'Faith In Others' continues to be my favorite song of the year. It has that King Crimson 'Epitaph' beauty to it, without copying it.

Together with PC's beautiful production and dynamic (non) mastered production.. I haven't heard anything else this year that can compete with this one. I really, really like the place where Opeth is in right now. Especially considering that they're really nailing the old stuff this tour as well. WOW. Album of the year, show of the year, band of the year.

Christ almighty I thought I was alone! SO much concurrence. Well, except for album and band of the year; Devy takes the cake with ease for that one in my ears. But PC is up there, no doubt. I still spin it every few nights.

Together with PC's beautiful production and dynamic (non) mastered production

The album's sound doesn't get enough praise. Pale Communion and Devin Townsend's Casualties of Cool are the best sounding albums I've heard this year. We need more albums that sound like this.

This as well. Even though they might not musically be my absolute favorite from either artist, the music is still fantastic, but it's the sound that truly puts them above and beyond. Truly masterful production and I'm really, honestly scared that these guys are gonna ruin some other bands for me because I'm so used to their sound now that a lot of other music sounds like white noise in comparison (clearly an exaggeration).  :lol

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #491 on: November 14, 2014, 06:18:33 PM »
Pale Communion has established itself in my mind as the album of the year for me. As much as I would like Opeth to put out another 'death metal' album, PC just does everything right. It does everything right that Heritage failed in (except I really like Folklore). The PC material they played at the show was just jaw-dropping awesome. Adding to that, 'Faith In Others' continues to be my favorite song of the year. It has that King Crimson 'Epitaph' beauty to it, without copying it.

Together with PC's beautiful production and dynamic (non) mastered production.. I haven't heard anything else this year that can compete with this one. I really, really like the place where Opeth is in right now. Especially considering that they're really nailing the old stuff this tour as well. WOW. Album of the year, show of the year, band of the year.

Christ almighty I thought I was alone! SO much concurrence. Well, except for album and band of the year; Devy takes the cake with ease for that one in my ears. But PC is up there, no doubt. I still spin it every few nights.

Together with PC's beautiful production and dynamic (non) mastered production

The album's sound doesn't get enough praise. Pale Communion and Devin Townsend's Casualties of Cool are the best sounding albums I've heard this year. We need more albums that sound like this.

This as well. Even though they might not musically be my absolute favorite from either artist, the music is still fantastic, but it's the sound that truly puts them above and beyond. Truly masterful production and I'm really, honestly scared that these guys are gonna ruin some other bands for me because I'm so used to their sound now that a lot of other music sounds like white noise in comparison (clearly an exaggeration).  :lol

Indeed. I'm sick and tired of bands releasing brickwalled albums. It's not fun anymore. It's not 'heavy'. More dynamics = more punch. And I don't mean that a hot master can't be cool. Tool's 10,000 Days was hot as hell, but because of the fat sounds it still sounded awesome. The hot mastering actually fit that record.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #492 on: November 16, 2014, 11:28:25 AM »
Saw them in Oslo this friday.
Holy shit what a show!

Perfect sound, perfect performances!

:metal

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #493 on: November 16, 2014, 05:04:58 PM »
Yeah. One thing they never fuck around on is their live sound.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #494 on: November 19, 2014, 12:21:45 PM »
Yeah. One thing they never fuck around on is their live sound.

I actually think it got better. Mikael's lead guitar sound in particular.

One thing that really stood out to me was when for instance Fredrik's solo in Cusp of Eternity came on. Right from the first note on, that guitar sound was right in your face, defined, and not harsh at all. Being very familiar with that moment, it was not only as loud as I had hoped, it was even better than that. That's good live sound. Enhancing the emotions that are in the music.

9 times out of 10, a lead guitarist's solo gets turned up way too late into the solo.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #495 on: November 19, 2014, 12:40:18 PM »
out of curiosity, did anyone manage to get a replacement bluray from the defective first batch? every time i tried to enter my code it said it was already used since i had already downloaded the bonus track.  anyone have luck another way?

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #496 on: November 19, 2014, 02:54:56 PM »
out of curiosity, did anyone manage to get a replacement bluray from the defective first batch? every time i tried to enter my code it said it was already used since i had already downloaded the bonus track.  anyone have luck another way?

I got mine a few weeks ago...

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #497 on: November 19, 2014, 02:58:18 PM »

I had the same issue and filled out the contact form here: https://redemptions.warnermusic.com/contacts/

I think it was the next day, they sent me a new code.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #498 on: December 14, 2014, 07:16:59 AM »
Reggae album coming soon?

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #499 on: December 14, 2014, 07:18:48 AM »
 :lol :metal Love it.

RIP DTP.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #500 on: December 14, 2014, 12:27:47 PM »
 :lol, that's kind of terrifying.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #501 on: December 14, 2014, 02:04:15 PM »
I've purchased Watershed today. I'm stoked, it's my first Opeth album :metal :metal
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #502 on: December 15, 2014, 01:54:08 AM »
 :rollin :rollin Wow, seems they're having fun on tour!  :lol

I've purchased Watershed today. I'm stoked, it's my first Opeth album :metal :metal

:metal Very good!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #503 on: December 15, 2014, 08:38:13 AM »
that's kind of terrifying.
next album - rasta lyrics sung in death growls set to reggae beats. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #504 on: December 15, 2014, 08:56:07 AM »
I...might pay to hear that.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #505 on: December 15, 2014, 09:20:31 AM »
might?

I'd totally pay to hear that, expecially if it's Mikael doing it  :D.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #506 on: December 15, 2014, 10:45:18 AM »
that's kind of terrifying.
next album - rasta lyrics sung in clean vocals set to 70s prog.

Fixed that for ya.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #507 on: December 15, 2014, 10:48:54 AM »
In there like swimwear, baby.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #508 on: December 15, 2014, 11:12:55 AM »
Swim ear.

I really hate ear infections. I just got over one.

This is relatable to Opeth because...water...shed...?  :metal

RIP DTP.

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #509 on: December 15, 2014, 02:35:17 PM »
I'm going to see them for the first time in Philly on Wednesday!  :metal

Though I just looked at setlist.fm; it seems as though the show is a LOT shorter than in Europe. That is a little disappointing, though they are still playing The Moor, and added The Drapery Falls, and looks to be a solid setlist overall. Over an hour of good stuff.

A few questions for those who have seen them (preferably in the US): how was their sound, and what merch did they sell?

Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #510 on: December 15, 2014, 03:21:50 PM »
Another question: who's playing first, Opeth or In Flames? Has it been different from night to night?
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #511 on: December 15, 2014, 05:07:10 PM »
In Flames came on first, and I'm pretty sure that has been consistent.  In terms of merch, Opeth had shirts, sweatshirt, wristband, turntable slipmat, and signed copies of heritage and pale communion.  I thought their sound was great in SF, but i was in the balcony versus the floor so i don't know how it was there.  The sound at the electric factory in philly is so-so, i guess it depends where in the audience you're standing

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #512 on: December 15, 2014, 05:07:19 PM »
Another question: who's playing first, Opeth or In Flames? Has it been different from night to night?

Opeth closes every night.

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #513 on: December 15, 2014, 07:14:50 PM »
Thanks for your answers. Now I have a day to become familiar with In Flame's setlist.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #514 on: December 15, 2014, 07:52:35 PM »
In terms of merch, Opeth had shirts, sweatshirt, wristband, turntable slipmat, and signed copies of heritage and pale communion.
I'm sure they had a tour tee, but did they have a tee of just the Opeth logo by any chance? Last year when they toured in the US, they had those and I thought of getting one at the show I went to, but I didn't in the end. The turntable slipmat's an interesting merch I think. I'm getting a new turntable soon, so if the price isn't ridiculous I might get one of those.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #515 on: December 15, 2014, 08:02:02 PM »
I saw them during the Watershed tour, and back then wasn't too keen on Watershed in it's entirety except for The Lotus Eater; but they rocked my socks off in both sound and stage presence. It should be noted that I was in a shitty little Houston venue that was like a fucking sardine can in size and look and they still sounded awesome; granted, I was front and center and their amp and speaker set up was perfect for that placement, but that's also apart of concerts is seeing and knowing how the sound set up is placed and picking a spot accordingly. The dummies get the short end of the stick, always. I suppose it doesn't matter now that it's been (over) a few years but the set list was fucking awesome as well. Overall it's one of my favorite concerts I've been to and that's saying a lot given that I went by myself and I really hate going to concerts by myself and it usually takes away from the experience a lot for me, but this time I was so enthralled and immersed that it didn't matter.

RIP DTP.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #516 on: December 16, 2014, 01:04:55 AM »
Martin Axenrot was voted Best Prog Drummer In The World Today.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/opeths_martin_axenrot_named_best_prog_drummer_in_the_world_today.html

I know he's a great drummer but best in the world?
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #517 on: December 16, 2014, 01:44:59 AM »
In my opinion, Gavin Harrison is better, and I could very well understand if someone thought Neil Peart is better. I haven't listened to Rush so much but Neil Peart is very good. I do absolutely love Martin's drumming though. He has a lot of stand-out performances for me; for example, his drumming on The Lotus Eater is stunning.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #518 on: December 16, 2014, 02:02:27 AM »
He wouldn't be in my top3, but good for him I guess.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #519 on: December 16, 2014, 03:01:24 AM »
I'm surprised he's number one, but damn, he's really good.  :metal

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #520 on: December 16, 2014, 04:21:10 AM »
Rankings are pointless anyway

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #521 on: December 16, 2014, 10:34:38 AM »
Definitely not the best but well, who cares? Good for him. Gavin Harrison is God.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #522 on: December 16, 2014, 12:53:56 PM »
My problem with Gavin Harrison is that he sounds the same in anything he does. I like his work with PT, but whenever I listen to some of the more recent album he appears on, it just feels like he's doing the same thing. Don't get me wrong, most drummers have a trademark sound, and you could identify their drum kits from miles away, but to me it feels like he reverts back to some of the same "tricks" too often.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #523 on: December 16, 2014, 01:25:55 PM »
I totally get what you're saying, he hasn't really changed it up much. Totally love the guy's drumming though.

But, MP on place 2 kinda puts the whole poll into question. MP hasn't done anything of drumming importance in 10 years.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #524 on: December 16, 2014, 01:41:58 PM »
I'm not saying its the case with this poll in particular, but with a lot of these magazine polls, I get the feeling that the staff sits down and looks at what are the most important (or biggest) bands of the scene, puts the names of the musicians in a hat and draws the order. Very rarely do you get names that are out of the blue. Most of the picks are the safe ones, even if it's musicians who are 10-15 or even 20 years past their prime.