Poll

What are your three favorite Opeth records?

Orchid
7 (1.1%)
Morningrise
15 (2.3%)
My Arms, Your Hearse
26 (4%)
Still Life
81 (12.3%)
Blackwater Park
161 (24.5%)
Deliverance
43 (6.5%)
Damnation
53 (8.1%)
Ghost Reveries
152 (23.1%)
Watershed
66 (10%)
Heritage
21 (3.2%)
Pale Communion
32 (4.9%)

Total Members Voted: 224

Voting closed: June 13, 2020, 08:32:34 AM

Author Topic: The official Opeth thread v. In Cauda Venenum  (Read 180539 times)

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
Re: The official Opeth thread v. Pale Communion
« Reply #455 on: November 01, 2014, 07:00:53 AM »
How fitting, my copy of Ghost Reveries arrived on Halloween.  :metal Really liking this one so far.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #456 on: November 01, 2014, 06:11:18 PM »
That's awesome! Enjoy that one :D

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #457 on: November 07, 2014, 04:52:41 AM »
Does anyone know how long Alcest' set is? I'm seeing Opeth in Oslo ( :metal )
The doors open at 8pm, but I probably won't manage to get there before 8:45-ish...

Offline krands85

« Reply #458 on: November 07, 2014, 05:12:35 AM »
Does anyone know how long Alcest' set is? I'm seeing Opeth in Oslo ( :metal )
The doors open at 8pm, but I probably won't manage to get there before 8:45-ish...
About 45minutes I think. Just have to hope they don't start too soon after the doors open!
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #459 on: November 07, 2014, 08:07:27 AM »
Anyone going to the show tonight in Amsterdam?

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #460 on: November 08, 2014, 01:13:09 AM »

Ghost Reveries 10th anniversary show next year?

Offline Onno

« Reply #461 on: November 08, 2014, 03:17:12 AM »
I saw that too. I hope they're gonna film that one!

The show last night was absolutely epic. Wow, what a setlist.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #462 on: November 08, 2014, 06:16:52 AM »
Easily the best show I've seen so far by Opeth! The new songs are amazing live, and as a whole it was really a death metal show. They might have released two prog rock albums,  but live there's no compromise on the heavy tracks. I applaud their change of style, and the new tracks are a perfect antidote for the old tracks. It was highly dynamic. I banged my head, I dreamt away, I was at a satanic ritual,  I was at a Uriah Heep show.. These guys do anything and they all pull it off, almost effortless.  It was like a fairytale. Oh and the new keyboard guy is an excellent background vocalist. And Alcest were decent although somewhat cheesy and boring. Mostly due to totally uneventful vocal melodies.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #463 on: November 12, 2014, 03:13:58 AM »
What a great show last night! :hefdaddy I echo what PixelDream said about the range of emotions: it's incredible how many different moods they can include in one setlist without making it feel like a mishmash. It was hilarious to watch the moshpits stop during the mellow sections and then continue like nothing had happened when distorted guitars kicked back in. :lol Song 11 (no spoilers for those who haven't seen the setlist yet) made everybody go absolutely nuts, and I can't remember headbanging so much at a concert before. :metal A few songs were pretty slow compared to their album versions, but song 9 was as intense as it should be, and Axe's drumming was incredible on it. I would've liked to hear a few more new songs (I know I'm in the minority here! :P), but for a first-timer it was a nice best-of setlist. Alcest was also great, although I missed the first song waiting in line to get into the venue, and they only played a shortened version of the set that I heard in January at their own headlining show.

The funniest moment of the evening was when Mikael proceeded to explain what each member's last name is in English. He said both "åker" and "feldt" mean field, so his name is Mikael Fieldfield. :D He tried to get Mendez to tell him what his name means, but he got no answer, so he said "Mendez means... nothing". Later some dude in the audience shouted "boooriiing!", and Mikael's response was "Well, what's your last name, motherfucker? I bet it means shit!"

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #464 on: November 12, 2014, 04:41:35 AM »
OPETH are set to celebrate their landmark 25th Anniversary as a band next year with a very special event at the legendary London Palladium on 18th October 2015. After being the heaviest band to play the Royal Albert Hall (in 2010), they will no doubt be the heaviest band to also play the Palladium.

The unique show, dubbed 'An Evening with OPETH' will feature two sets from the progressive Swedes, including 2005's much-lauded 'Ghost Reveries' album in its entirety (which in turn is celebrating its 10th anniversary), plus a second set of classics from their 25-year career.

Frontman Mikael Akerfeldt is looking forward to the show, informing us; "The forces that be put up a very mystical and subtle little advert on the so called internet. Yes, we will celebrate 25 years of being Opeth in 2015 and this is reason enough to gather up the forces and play. For you. At the Palladium in London. Not sure if they have a dress-code there, as it is a posh little place. Do we care? No we don’t. It will be a pretty unique evening I reckon, hopefully free of technical difficulties. No thanks to Baal! With that said, we are a live band in the true sense of the word and you can never be certain. Regardless it will be a blast and I strongly advise you to think about attending. But don’t think for too long. It might cost you your seat! We’re currently on tour (Hey! Thanks European progrockdeathmetalheads! You are absolutely fantastic and we love you!) and I’m being called for, so gotta dash. Ta-ta!"

Tickets go on general sale at 9am this Friday 14th November and will be available from https://www.livenation.co.uk/artist/opeth-tickets, with a pre-sale set for 9am Thursday 13th. A very limited amount of VIP upgrades, priced at £150 will also be available on pre-sale which allow early entry into the venue, a 20 minute 'meet n' greet' with the band, a commemorative VIP laminate pass, a gift box containing 3 hand engraved, show-exclusive Opeth red wine glasses (exclusive to VIPs of this show only), a tour poster printed on canvas (also exclusive to VIPs of this show only) and your choice of t-shirt from the merch booth. These are expected to sell out extremely quickly so be prepared to move fast if you want VIP upgrades.

OPETH are also set to appear as special guests at next year's Bloodstock Festival in August. Details from www.bloodstock.uk.com.

I hope they film it.

Offline Onno

« Reply #465 on: November 12, 2014, 04:58:42 AM »
Yeah, I really hope they will!

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #466 on: November 12, 2014, 04:59:28 AM »
Ghost Reveries :metal
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #467 on: November 12, 2014, 11:21:49 AM »
Popping in because a few weeks ago a friend overheard me listening to Steven Wilson a few weeks ago, and pretty much loved him, so I burned him a copy, but I also burned him a copy of Pale Communion and told him it was pretty similar in style, and while I didn't like it, I told him he should definitely try them out. He's never heard Opeth before, and a few nights ago we were hanging out and he told me Pale Communion sucked  :lol

He had the same qualms about it that I did generally, just nothing to latch onto.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #468 on: November 12, 2014, 05:00:42 PM »
I don't think Pale Communion is anything like the same style as SW's music. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #469 on: November 12, 2014, 05:01:40 PM »
It's 70's proggish stuff, I think that's similar enough to make a recommendation to somebody off of.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #470 on: November 12, 2014, 06:48:37 PM »
I think Damnation is more near to the SW sound that PC. In fact, it was the album that got me into PT, if it helps.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #471 on: November 12, 2014, 06:57:15 PM »
I think Damnation is more near to the SW sound that PC. In fact, it was the album that got me into PT, if it helps.
I don't really mean pt, but raven and pc are in a very similar feel, one just happens to completely suck

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #472 on: November 12, 2014, 08:50:59 PM »
I don't really mean pt, but raven and pc are in a very similar feel, one just happens to completely suck

more like both

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #473 on: November 12, 2014, 08:53:55 PM »

Come on, The Raven wasn't that bad. :neverusethis:

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #474 on: November 12, 2014, 08:56:52 PM »

Come on, The Raven wasn't that bad. :neverusethis:
:neverusethis: :neverusethis: :neverusethis:

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #475 on: November 13, 2014, 12:18:56 AM »
I've just realized I haven't listened to Pale Communion again since I bought it, nor do I want to. Some people say it's better than Heritage but for me Heritage had some highlights that kept me returning to it and I even had it in my top 5 for a while (though it's fallen considerably). With PC I feel like I'm OK with never listening to it again.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #476 on: November 13, 2014, 12:37:47 AM »
I've just realized I haven't listened to Pale Communion again since I bought it, nor do I want to. Some people say it's better than Heritage but for me Heritage had some highlights that kept me returning to it and I even had it in my top 5 for a while (though it's fallen considerably). With PC I feel like I'm OK with never listening to it again.
:tup

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #477 on: November 13, 2014, 01:38:11 AM »
Heritage? Highlights? I'll admit I haven't listened to Pale Communion much since the first few weeks of it coming out, but I don't think that situation would have been much different if the album was an equally good progressive death metal album rather than 70s prog rock album. PC is way better than Heritage and I would even say better than Damnation, but despite all that it's still not the Opeth I love the most.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #478 on: November 13, 2014, 01:39:04 AM »
Heritage? Highlights? I'll admit I haven't listened to Pale Communion much since the first few weeks of it coming out, but I don't think that situation would have been much different if the album was an equally good progressive death metal album rather than 70s prog rock album. PC is way better than Heritage and I would even say better than Damnation, but despite all that it's still not the Opeth I love the most.
Devil's Orchard alone says to me that Heritage has more life than PC.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #479 on: November 13, 2014, 01:43:03 AM »
Devil's Orchard is probably the most lifeless and boring single Opeth has released in their entire career. I don't think Mikael has a more dull vocal performance in their entire catalog to be honest. The song itself is okay, but vocally it sounds so uninspired and forced.

I'll admit, I don't know exactly all the songs they have had as singles over the years, but Devil's Orchard has to be the weakest.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #480 on: November 13, 2014, 01:43:34 AM »
Devil's Orchard is probably the most lifeless and boring single Opeth has released in their entire career. I don't think Mikael has a more dull vocal performance in their entire catalog to be honest. The song itself is okay, but vocally it sounds so uninspired and forced.

I'll admit, I don't know exactly all the songs they have had as singles over the years, but Devil's Orchard has to be the weakest.

???

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #481 on: November 13, 2014, 01:52:21 AM »
Devil's Orchard, I Feel the Dark, Slither (bite me), The Lines in my Hand and Folklore are superior to any PC song for me. Maybe it's just that I haven't given enough chances to PC, but that's how I feel right now.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #482 on: November 13, 2014, 01:56:43 AM »

"The Drapery Falls"
"Deliverance"
"Still Day Beneath the Sun"
"Windowpane"
"In My Time of Need"
"Master's Apprentices"
"The Grand Conjuration"
"Ghost of Perdition"
"Soldier of Fortune"
"Porcelain Heart"
"Mellotron Heart"
"Burden"
"The Throat of Winter"
"The Devil's Orchard"
"Slither"
"Cusp of Eternity"

According to Wikipedia.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #483 on: November 13, 2014, 02:09:47 AM »
Devil's Orchard, I Feel the Dark, Slither (bite me), The Lines in my Hand and Folklore are superior to any PC song for me. Maybe it's just that I haven't given enough chances to PC, but that's how I feel right now.

It could also be the case of familiarity. It has happened to me with The Raven That Refused to Sing, but also Weather Systems. Basically an album similar to the previous one, and for whatever reason you just go "meh" with a shoulder rug. I'm not huge on the 70's trend at all, but Heritage was so lukewarm to me that PC didn't have to do much to top it for me, so that might be why I'm enjoying it more.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #484 on: November 13, 2014, 02:42:07 AM »

It could also be the case of familiarity. It has happened to me with The Raven That Refused to Sing, but also Weather Systems. Basically an album similar to the previous one, and for whatever reason you just go "meh" with a shoulder rug. I'm not huge on the 70's trend at all, but Heritage was so lukewarm to me that PC didn't have to do much to top it for me, so that might be why I'm enjoying it more.

Yeah there's definitely some of that here at work. I liked Heritage a lot at first (you can probably find some outlandish rankings by myself when it came out  :lol) but I don't consider it a great album. I guess when PC came out I just felt like "meh, more of the same" and I haven't really felt inclined to give it a fair shot.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #485 on: November 13, 2014, 03:25:36 AM »
OPETH are set to celebrate their landmark 25th Anniversary as a band next year with a very special event at the legendary London Palladium on 18th October 2015. After being the heaviest band to play the Royal Albert Hall (in 2010), they will no doubt be the heaviest band to also play the Palladium.

The unique show, dubbed 'An Evening with OPETH' will feature two sets from the progressive Swedes, including 2005's much-lauded 'Ghost Reveries' album in its entirety (which in turn is celebrating its 10th anniversary), plus a second set of classics from their 25-year career.

Frontman Mikael Akerfeldt is looking forward to the show, informing us; "The forces that be put up a very mystical and subtle little advert on the so called internet. Yes, we will celebrate 25 years of being Opeth in 2015 and this is reason enough to gather up the forces and play. For you. At the Palladium in London. Not sure if they have a dress-code there, as it is a posh little place. Do we care? No we don’t. It will be a pretty unique evening I reckon, hopefully free of technical difficulties. No thanks to Baal! With that said, we are a live band in the true sense of the word and you can never be certain. Regardless it will be a blast and I strongly advise you to think about attending. But don’t think for too long. It might cost you your seat! We’re currently on tour (Hey! Thanks European progrockdeathmetalheads! You are absolutely fantastic and we love you!) and I’m being called for, so gotta dash. Ta-ta!"

Tickets go on general sale at 9am this Friday 14th November and will be available from https://www.livenation.co.uk/artist/opeth-tickets, with a pre-sale set for 9am Thursday 13th. A very limited amount of VIP upgrades, priced at £150 will also be available on pre-sale which allow early entry into the venue, a 20 minute 'meet n' greet' with the band, a commemorative VIP laminate pass, a gift box containing 3 hand engraved, show-exclusive Opeth red wine glasses (exclusive to VIPs of this show only), a tour poster printed on canvas (also exclusive to VIPs of this show only) and your choice of t-shirt from the merch booth. These are expected to sell out extremely quickly so be prepared to move fast if you want VIP upgrades.

OPETH are also set to appear as special guests at next year's Bloodstock Festival in August. Details from www.bloodstock.uk.com.
I hope they film it.
The latest FB pic says "25th anniversary tour", so it looks like more dates will be announced later. They didn't play any Evolution XX shows in Finland, so hopefully they come here this time around. Either way, we're long overdue for a new Opeth DVD!

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #486 on: November 13, 2014, 08:10:12 PM »
Pale Communion has established itself in my mind as the album of the year for me. As much as I would like Opeth to put out another 'death metal' album, PC just does everything right. It does everything right that Heritage failed in (except I really like Folklore). The PC material they played at the show was just jaw-dropping awesome. Adding to that, 'Faith In Others' continues to be my favorite song of the year. It has that King Crimson 'Epitaph' beauty to it, without copying it.

Together with PC's beautiful production and dynamic (non) mastered production.. I haven't heard anything else this year that can compete with this one. I really, really like the place where Opeth is in right now. Especially considering that they're really nailing the old stuff this tour as well. WOW. Album of the year, show of the year, band of the year.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #487 on: November 13, 2014, 09:57:21 PM »

I hope they film it.

It'd be a big mistake if they didn't. Although that'll mean that all of their live DVDs were filmed in London.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #488 on: November 14, 2014, 01:03:59 AM »
Together with PC's beautiful production and dynamic (non) mastered production

The album's sound doesn't get enough praise. Pale Communion and Devin Townsend's Casualties of Cool are the best sounding albums I've heard this year. We need more albums that sound like this.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #489 on: November 14, 2014, 07:25:43 AM »
The sound is definitely outstanding.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.