Poll

What are your three favorite Opeth records?

Orchid
7 (1.1%)
Morningrise
15 (2.3%)
My Arms, Your Hearse
26 (4%)
Still Life
81 (12.3%)
Blackwater Park
161 (24.5%)
Deliverance
43 (6.5%)
Damnation
53 (8.1%)
Ghost Reveries
152 (23.1%)
Watershed
66 (10%)
Heritage
21 (3.2%)
Pale Communion
32 (4.9%)

Total Members Voted: 224

Voting closed: June 13, 2020, 08:32:34 AM

Author Topic: The official Opeth thread v. In Cauda Venenum  (Read 180556 times)

ZKX-2099 (+ 1 Hidden) and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online fadetoblackdude7

Re: The official Opeth thread v. Pale Communion
« Reply #280 on: September 01, 2014, 10:00:05 AM »
Ghost Reveries
Still Life
Blackwater Park

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #281 on: September 01, 2014, 10:29:18 AM »
One more for the Blackwater Park / Ghost Reveries / Watershed club.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #282 on: September 01, 2014, 10:44:30 AM »
For now... Heritage; Blackwater Park; My Arms, Your Hearse.

Tomorrow it could just as easily be Pale Communion; Still Life; Deliverance.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #283 on: September 01, 2014, 10:49:11 AM »
Voted for Blackwater Park, Still Life and Ghost Reveries.

Top 3 worse are:

Pale Communion
Damnation
Heritage

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #284 on: September 01, 2014, 10:53:26 AM »
I would say my three least favorites (by far) would be Damnation, Watershed and Heritage. (the latter being my least favorite) But with that said, even though I think those 3 albums are a dip below the rest in quality, they're not bad albums. Watershed is quite nice, and my main issue with Damnation and Heritage is that Opeth become very monotonous for me when they only do clean vocals (it gets very samey after a while, maybe it's Mikael's voice?), so even if the songs themselves (particularly on Damnation) are great, it's challenging for me to stay awake through those albums. I was surprised with Pale Communion and how it was the first only-clean Opeth album that felt like it had some more variety and diversity (especially in the vocals), and it felt more refreshing.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #285 on: September 01, 2014, 11:14:20 AM »
Well, my problem with Damnation is that it is very repetitive and it lacks the progressiveness of the other albums. I like the songs, but I get tired of them fast and that doesn't happen with songs from other albums. It has nothing to do with the lack of growls, just the compositions themselves. For example, I enjoy much more the ballads or clean-vocals-songs in other albums than in Damnation.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #286 on: September 01, 2014, 11:30:22 AM »
Well, my problem with Damnation is that it is very repetitive and it lacks the progressiveness of the other albums. I like the songs, but I get tired of them fast and that doesn't happen with songs from other albums. It has nothing to do with the lack of growls, just the compositions themselves. For example, I enjoy much more the ballads or clean-vocals-songs in other albums than in Damnation.

I agree with what you're saying. And to clarify, I'm not one of those "Opeth without growl sucks"-fans. I listen to loads of non-growl music, so that's really not a problem. Like I said, it might be a combination of Mikael's voice and like you suggested, the compositions themselves. The tracks themselves are fine on an individual level, but put them in context and the album gets kinda samey/slow for me. But that's also why I think Pale Communion was so great, because vocally it's probably Mikael's best performance on an Opeth album in terms of clean vocals. He really brings a lot of variety for just using clean vocals, and a lot more interesting vocally than Heritage or Damnation IMO. And he sounds better.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #287 on: September 01, 2014, 11:34:14 AM »
^ Couldn't possibly agree more. I think Akerfeldt sounds fantastic on PC, especially in relation to the somewhat stagnant singing heard on a few past softer sung songs. I was never a big fan of Damnation as a whole either and as with GR, for me anyway, it becomes monotonous a little when heard in one run. I like those albums quite well as separated songs or just hearing the tracks on shuffle, but as an album, sitting down with a listen kind of bores me after halfway. PC had the opposite affect, I wanted to hear what came next and what kind of left-field moment they'd bring. I enjoy it much more as an album than I do a few of their older works.

RIP DTP.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #288 on: September 01, 2014, 12:01:42 PM »
1. Blackwater Park
2. Ghost Reveries
3. My Arms, Your Hearse

My number 3 spot could switch out depending on the day. Sometimes I feel Still Life or Damnation take that spot. Overall though, there's not an Opeth album I don't like yet.

Blackwater Park, though. That's an album in its own reality. Seriously a masterpiece not just for metal but for music in general. One of my favorite albums ever.

Offline Riitasointi

« Reply #289 on: September 01, 2014, 12:41:54 PM »
Blackwater Park, though. That's an album in its own reality. Seriously a masterpiece not just for metal but for music in general. One of my favorite albums ever.
So much this.

As for Mikael's clean vocals, I think they were not so good initially, but getting great by Ghost Reveries. On Watershed I think he was top notch (I mean, Burden cmon!) and been on that level since. It's funny, he has a very distinct voice both harsh and clean. I've always loved his growls, I think they're some of the best in the business. But his cleans can put me off sometimes, even on this improved level. It's the tone or color of his voice I guess. But most of the time he sounds great!

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #290 on: September 01, 2014, 12:45:07 PM »
In case anyone was wondering, yes, I am the one vote thus far for Morningrise.

Moreover it's my favorite Opeth album, with Still Life and BWP in #2-3, the latter by a hair over Ghost Reveries.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #291 on: September 01, 2014, 02:02:48 PM »
After some consideration I picked MAYH, Damnation and Ghost Reveries. MAYH flows perfectly and the concept isn't too straightforward, which makes it easy to listen to the songs separately. I know a lot of people find Damnation kind of one-dimensional, but I love it for its consistency and the mood it creates. And GR... well, it's simply Opeth's magnum opus in my eyes. :hefdaddy

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #292 on: September 01, 2014, 02:26:25 PM »
Seeing the poll results, it pains me how overlooked/underrated the first two are. I'm gonna listen to both Orchid and Morningrise later in fact, both are amazing albums.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #293 on: September 01, 2014, 02:31:16 PM »
They are amazing and I'll always love them, but over time I've become spoiled with production value; and it just so happens that my absolute favorite artists are masters of production. At this point in my musical journey, I simply cannot stand the production on those albums. I really can't. I love 'em, and I'll spin 'em for a few listens to a couple songs but that's as much as I can stand. No way I can plow through the whole album anymore, sadly. But I'll always love them for their brutal beauty, I just wish there were more good concert recordings of those songs. There's a few awesome ones, but not enough.

All that said, they can't be my favorite albums because of it. Songs? There's a few on those two albums that'd take my top tier songs but as whole albums...they're dated for me.

RIP DTP.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #294 on: September 01, 2014, 02:32:04 PM »
I liked both Morningrise and Orchid well enough, but I say the lack of votes for those two is more a testament to how good Opeth became later than a sign that people don't like them.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #295 on: September 01, 2014, 02:42:34 PM »
I liked both Morningrise and Orchid well enough, but I say the lack of votes for those two is more a testament to how good Opeth became later than a sign that people don't like them.
This. I'm sure plenty of people like Orchid and Morningrise, but not enough to consider them top 3 albums. Orchid is middle-of-the-pack for me and Morningrise is above my bottom three (SL, BWP, Deliverance). Both albums include lots of great sections, but it took a few years until Mikael learned to write songs that flow well.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #296 on: September 01, 2014, 02:47:55 PM »
Still Life and Blackwater Park are in your bottom 3?

I mean, I am all for different tastes and stuff, but there's got to be some sort of law against THAT. :P
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #297 on: September 01, 2014, 02:48:58 PM »
Speaking of the production, (which is normally not something I care or think about), I actually thought the sound of Pale Communion was kinda meh. I love Steven Wilson and all, but Pale Communion sounded like something he threw together over a weekend. But the album itself more than makes up for the somewhat flat/lifeless production.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #298 on: September 01, 2014, 02:54:46 PM »
I don't think they are amazing albums. If someone uses the word "amazing" to describe them, what would they use to describe Opeth's better albums (if they consider them better than the two first)? They are good albums with a bad production. There a few songs in them that I don't care for. In my opinion, Opeth wasn't mature until the release of My Arms, Your Hearse, but don't get me wrong: there are very good songs in the first two albums. They sound better live though. :)

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #299 on: September 01, 2014, 02:55:26 PM »
Speaking of the production, (which is normally not something I care or think about), I actually thought the sound of Pale Communion was kinda meh. I love Steven Wilson and all, but Pale Communion sounded like something he threw together over a weekend. But the album itself more than makes up for the somewhat flat/lifeless production.

Man, I have the exact opposite opinion. I think it sounds like it was slaved over, it's the main shining point of the album for me. It's cool to see such contrasting views though.

RIP DTP.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #300 on: September 01, 2014, 03:01:50 PM »
This.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #301 on: September 01, 2014, 03:06:16 PM »
currently listening to the 5.1 mix of Pale Communion and it sounds absolutely gorgeous  :hefdaddy

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #302 on: September 01, 2014, 03:24:01 PM »
My Top 3:

-Still Life
-Blackwater Park
-My Arms, Your Hearse

The first two songs of SL are the best 20 consecutive minutes of music Opeth has ever recorded. The albums drags a little in the second half, but is still excellent overall. BWP has amazing opening and closing songs, and much of the content in the middle is great, though it does not come close to matching those 2 songs. MAYH is amazingly consistent from beginning to end, never drags, and flows perfectly. I love how it sounds both beautiful and crushing at the same time. Though it is consistent, there are no songs that I can listen to on their own; they feel incomplete without the rest of the album.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #303 on: September 01, 2014, 06:01:10 PM »
BWP has amazing opening and closing songs, and much of the content in the middle is great, though it does not come close to matching those 2 songs.

Rape lyrics drop the album down a bit for me on my personal list.  :-\

MAYH is amazingly consistent from beginning to end, never drags, and flows perfectly. I love how it sounds both beautiful and crushing at the same time.

This.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #304 on: September 01, 2014, 06:36:12 PM »
BWP has amazing opening and closing songs, and much of the content in the middle is great, though it does not come close to matching those 2 songs.

??? Which songs are those?
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #305 on: September 01, 2014, 06:45:37 PM »

??? Which songs are those?

Leper Affinity. Which used to be one of my all-time favorite tracks until I paid attention to what he was saying. Not something I like to listen to anymore.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #306 on: September 01, 2014, 06:48:40 PM »
Oh man, just read the lyrics and you're right. Doesn't ruin the song for me but it definitely makes me kinda uncomfortable. I still think it's well written though.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #307 on: September 01, 2014, 07:00:22 PM »
I never got not listening or liking a song specifically because of the topic, unless it's directly supporting said crime/immoral act, whatever it may be. It's kind of the point, to put you on edge and unease. That seems to be a staple of Opeth, no? At least in their overall vibe and overall thematic nature of their albums. They don't sing about the happiest of stuff and their music itself isn't very joyful. I suppose I'm just not focusing on it; but the part I don't get is it isn't advocating rape or 'singing' (as in praising) it. It's the topic of the song's story, that's all.

Eh! I love the song. I could see if it were very lyrically and vocally focused but as it is you've really gotta try to hone in on what he's saying. Even so I suppose if you know what he's saying that's all you need. Then again some of my favorite songs are about the darkest aspects of humanity and is in my opinion how some songs become so power and emotional. I think Wilson said it best when describing how he uses music as an outlet and how that outpouring of emotion is, many times, because of something dark and negative.

I'm also probably highly desensitized at this point (hell...who isn't these days..) and after hearing Wilson's version of The Piano Lesson (literally the only song that while I don't actively not listen to it, I don't play quite as much as I would if it weren't sung from the pedophile's perspective), nothing really surprises me in terms of content in songs. Once you realize that, again, unless it's obvious that the song is advocating said act, there's usually a point to be made; I'm quite certain Akerfeldt's wasn't 'yay rape'. I know no one thinks that, but when seen in that light, at least in my eyes, it's not bad, simply 'is'. Which...may very well be apart of the song's theme. It's something that happens in the world whether anyone wants to admit it or not, and who knows, may have been apart of Akerfeldt's life, indirect or direct. Still not too great a though, I know...  :lol
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 07:09:22 PM by TioJorge »

RIP DTP.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #308 on: September 01, 2014, 07:04:23 PM »
When enough loved ones in your life have to go through certain terrible things, you kind of become more sensitive to certain topics.

But regardless, this isn't therapy. Different strokes for different folks. Carry on.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #309 on: September 01, 2014, 07:05:57 PM »
I can completely understand that. There's definitely some songs that sent me on edge because of memories related to when I was listening to those songs. Not the same thing but...a similar feeling when said song comes on. Nonetheless, I realize that may have come off as being argumentative, which wasn't my intention. I suppose I'm lucky enough to not have that relatable aspect to the songs I listen to, lyrically.

RIP DTP.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #310 on: September 01, 2014, 07:19:07 PM »
I can completely understand that. There's definitely some songs that sent me on edge because of memories related to when I was listening to those songs. Not the same thing but...a similar feeling when said song comes on. Nonetheless, I realize that may have come off as being argumentative, which wasn't my intention. I suppose I'm lucky enough to not have that relatable aspect to the songs I listen to, lyrically.

Not at all. I understand what you were saying, and I agree.
It's just sometimes I hear a song and its like, "come on dudes, did you have to go there? That's so fucked up." There are other themes to write about that are dark and sinister, and more challenging on an intellectual level that likely wont offend or hurt anybody. Again, just my 2 cents.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #311 on: September 01, 2014, 07:22:51 PM »
 :tup

I do really like their direction that's more...diverse than what the past can offer, I gotta say; more ups and downs, and a bit more ups than downs (River still feels awkwardly happy on the album, in the best way possible).

RIP DTP.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #312 on: September 01, 2014, 07:46:15 PM »
River is  :heart

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #313 on: September 01, 2014, 07:54:25 PM »
River feels too happy, imo.
It's warm, reminds me of the summer time... completely opposite of pretty much every other Opeth song. :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #314 on: September 01, 2014, 08:02:23 PM »
MAYH is amazingly consistent from beginning to end, never drags, and flows perfectly. I love how it sounds both beautiful and crushing at the same time. Though it is consistent, there are no songs that I can listen to on their own; they feel incomplete without the rest of the album.

This. While it missed my top 3 by one spot, I agree with it being their most consistent album IMO. My top 3 favorite albums are Blackwater Park, Damnation and Ghost Reveries and in that order.