Poll

What are your three favorite Opeth records?

Orchid
7 (1.1%)
Morningrise
15 (2.3%)
My Arms, Your Hearse
26 (4%)
Still Life
81 (12.3%)
Blackwater Park
161 (24.5%)
Deliverance
43 (6.5%)
Damnation
53 (8.1%)
Ghost Reveries
152 (23.1%)
Watershed
66 (10%)
Heritage
21 (3.2%)
Pale Communion
32 (4.9%)

Total Members Voted: 224

Voting closed: June 13, 2020, 08:32:34 AM

Author Topic: The official Opeth thread v. In Cauda Venenum  (Read 179035 times)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: The official Opeth thread v. In Cauda Venenum
« Reply #1680 on: November 20, 2021, 03:32:45 PM »
Makes you wonder if Akerfeldt's heart just isn't into the metal stuff anymore.  Shoot, their music hasn't been metal really is over a decade, so he can probably only fake playing the metal stuff and loving it for so long, but I am sure he knows the fans "need" the token x-number of metal songs in the set list.

It's one of those situations where I can fully sympathize with Mikael and I wouldn't even hold it against him if he decided not to play the metal songs (because his heart isn't in it), but I can also get behind the fans because for many of them, these metal songs is what made the band special for them. While other bands may not have had as big of a stylistic change as Opeth, it would almost be like Iron Maiden saying they wont play any 80s tunes at all anymore or DT saying they are gonna stick to only songs from the Mangini albums. It would disappoint a lot of people.

While I understand the reason to stick to the Opeth name for marketing purposes and having that 'pull' of being an established band for 2 decades, it honestly might have been more of a win-win to just put Opeth to rest after Watershed, move on with a new band name, make it a separate project kinda like SW did after PT dissolved. That way people come to your shows not expecting any old songs, but would rather treat it more as a bonus if you decide you're in the mood to throw some of them in there. But again I get why they stuck with the Opeth name, other bands have changed styles, and the Opeth name and logo, and 'legacy' it carries does count for something.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1681 on: November 20, 2021, 03:35:50 PM »
Makes you wonder if Akerfeldt's heart just isn't into the metal stuff anymore.  Shoot, their music hasn't been metal really is over a decade, so he can probably only fake playing the metal stuff and loving it for so long, but I am sure he knows the fans "need" the token x-number of metal songs in the set list.

By that logic they should be playing the songs faster instead of slower so they can get through them more quickly! :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Kram

« Reply #1682 on: November 20, 2021, 03:56:01 PM »
While I understand the reason to stick to the Opeth name for marketing purposes and having that 'pull' of being an established band for 2 decades, it honestly might have been more of a win-win to just put Opeth to rest after Watershed, move on with a new band name, make it a separate project kinda like SW did after PT dissolved. That way people come to your shows not expecting any old songs, but would rather treat it more as a bonus if you decide you're in the mood to throw some of them in there. But again I get why they stuck with the Opeth name, other bands have changed styles, and the Opeth name and logo, and 'legacy' it carries does count for something.
Interesting idea.  And then at some-point in the future, if they were feeling it, they could release a new Opeth album (like PT is doing) that would be more metal.  I'm sure the hardcore fans would eat it up.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1683 on: November 20, 2021, 08:26:17 PM »
Interesting idea.  And then at some-point in the future, if they were feeling it, they could release a new Opeth album (like PT is doing) that would be more metal.  I'm sure the hardcore fans would eat it up.

When pigs fly. :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1684 on: November 20, 2021, 09:59:03 PM »
To echo many statements, Opeth stopped being what I consider Opeth with Heritage. They are a wholly different band now. A new album would be met with extreme excitement from me before, but now, they are an auto-buy that I don't get all that excited over.

Soen and Katatonia have replaced them in that regard in terms of excitement. I mean, Soen is looking to have my album of the year again. Kinda funny, considering the correlation between Soen/Katatonia and Opeth.

Wow, I just looked at their setlist. I hate to say it, but that would disappoint me. Too short and too samey.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1685 on: November 20, 2021, 10:20:48 PM »

I don't think you have to do any wondering about it.  He's pretty explicitly expressed his disinterest in it for years now. 

Offline Kram

« Reply #1686 on: November 21, 2021, 11:01:37 AM »
I wonder how album sales and concert attendance are for them now, vs. let's say the Ghost Reveries days?  Has this change in direction hurt business much?  Just curious.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1687 on: November 21, 2021, 11:29:54 AM »
Well they got one more fan in me. I've tried the metal stuff and while I like the intro to Blackwater Park (song) I can't get past the growls. Like, sing properly.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1688 on: November 21, 2021, 11:56:53 AM »

It's one of those situations where I can fully sympathize with Mikael and I wouldn't even hold it against him if he decided not to play the metal songs (because his heart isn't in it), but I can also get behind the fans because for many of them, these metal songs is what made the band special for them. While other bands may not have had as big of a stylistic change as Opeth, it would almost be like Iron Maiden saying they wont play any 80s tunes at all anymore or DT saying they are gonna stick to only songs from the Mangini albums. It would disappoint a lot of people.

Yep, the brand name "Opeth" will sell tickets.  Not sure how Akerfeldt would do if he toured as a solo artist.  It worked for Wilson, but I think for most that was simply Wilson continuing his musical path under his own name instead of the PT name, while solo Akerfeldt would likely be viewed as a "no more metal" thing, meaning a lot of fans who still go to Opeth show for the metal songs would far less likely to attend.

Ultimately, I am fine with him continuing under the Opeth name, as the newer stuff sounds like Opeth.  Older Opeth songs like Harvest, Benighted, Isolation Years or pretty much anything from Damnation would have fit right at home on the last few Opeth records.  The only difference now is the lack of metal and growls, so it is not like they have completely changed their sound and style.  It is just now focused more on a particular sound that was always there.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1689 on: November 30, 2021, 03:19:20 PM »
I've been following this girl for years, and thought she'd quit the internet because she hasn't uploaded in quite some time, but lo and behold, she just posted a majestic cover of "Harvest".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_08z_20GBwU

Her cover of "Hope Leaves" is also sublime. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96Y9WbkVTQU

And not Opeth, but easily my favorite that she's done is Katatonia's "In the White".  There are a dozen or two others on her channel as well, I wish she was more prolific, but these are all great. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqGEE1VH8ww

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1690 on: November 30, 2021, 03:23:33 PM »
That was really nice!  :tup
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1691 on: November 30, 2021, 04:09:14 PM »
Her voice reminds me of Amy Lee, good stuff.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1692 on: November 30, 2021, 06:37:20 PM »

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1693 on: December 01, 2021, 11:57:56 AM »
Have a friend who is a huge Opeth fan and was massivley disappointed in last night’s Arizona show. He said about 60% of the attendees left after Mastodon. And setlist was underwhelming and the drummer was meh. I was kind of shocked when he told me this.

I would guess that Mastodon is bigger than Opeth and they should be closing. Does anyone know if they are alternating?

Are fans fed up with the undwrwhelming setlists and Opeth 2.0 music? I lost all interest after Pale Communion. I understand the artisitic change but even Porcupine Tree is coming back!!! Maybe the next album is geared towards being heavier? So many questions…

Offline DTA

« Reply #1694 on: December 01, 2021, 02:07:22 PM »
I stopped seeing Megadeth because their setlists became too predictable. Coheed & Cambria are heading in that same direction for me unfortunately, just too many tours where the same old songs are brought out again and again. I'm not a fan of new Opeth, but I'd see them if they changed up their setlists to give the rest of the back catalog live play.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1695 on: December 01, 2021, 02:24:26 PM »
I've been listening through some older Opeth for Tims roulette and this band back in their prime were so amazing.  I'm one of the fans that is extremely disappointed in the direction they have gone.  Its really really disappointing.  I'm all for bands changing and evolving like Mastodon for example who have nailed it on the new album but Opeth for me just keep declining.  Its a travesty Mikael is abandoning his metal roots.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1696 on: December 01, 2021, 04:48:33 PM »
Have a friend who is a huge Opeth fan and was massivley disappointed in last night’s Arizona show. He said about 60% of the attendees left after Mastodon. And setlist was underwhelming and the drummer was meh. I was kind of shocked when he told me this.

I would guess that Mastodon is bigger than Opeth and they should be closing. Does anyone know if they are alternating?

Are fans fed up with the undwrwhelming setlists and Opeth 2.0 music? I lost all interest after Pale Communion. I understand the artisitic change but even Porcupine Tree is coming back!!! Maybe the next album is geared towards being heavier? So many questions…

I went to the NYC show, that night Mastadon headlined but it seems Opeth is more often the headliner.  Not sure how they determine this as it's not an every other night thing it seems.  Their setlists aren't changing by who headlines.

Personally, I thought Mastadon was much better.  Just more energetic and their light show was better.  Opeth played 8 songs that were longer and more dense with a slower pace.  Mastadon are doing 15 songs of diversity and even had some mosh pits open up.  I do think Mikael is an awesome singer though, he's fantastic and I don't dislike the newer songs I've heard, but I understand why some people are turned off from their change in style.

Here's my full video with tons of clips from both bands if you want to compare: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkO1z7gHIYY

Offline Volante99

« Reply #1697 on: December 03, 2021, 08:11:31 PM »
Opeth…
This is going to come off as harsh but THAT is a band that took a nosedive over the last decade.

The Red Rocks live DVD was a total snorefest, devoid of anything resembling energy or attitude. Maybe it was the click track? I respect Mikael for doing whatever the hell he wants artistically, but he needs to put some balls back into Opeth. And good God someone please tell him that not every song needs a mellotron/organ.

I don’t need him to bring death metal growls back (I think Heritage is a prog masterpiece), I just want a more moody, edge, evil Opeth.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #1698 on: December 04, 2021, 04:24:10 AM »
Opeth…
This is going to come off as harsh but THAT is a band that took a nosedive over the last decade.

The Red Rocks live DVD was a total snorefest, devoid of anything resembling energy or attitude. Maybe it was the click track? I respect Mikael for doing whatever the hell he wants artistically, but he needs to put some balls back into Opeth. And good God someone please tell him that not every song needs a mellotron/organ.

I don’t need him to bring death metal growls back (I think Heritage is a prog masterpiece), I just want a more moody, edge, evil Opeth.

I would like the band to try some older songs without the growls or harsh vocals. The music on the older albums had a beautiful, mysterious edge.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1699 on: December 04, 2021, 08:46:17 AM »
Opeth can still make evil-sounding music, they just aren't consistent enough with it. My favorite song on In Cauda Venenum is definitely Next Of Kin - that song is freaky as hell. Also Strange Brew from Sorceress.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1700 on: December 04, 2021, 09:45:43 AM »
Next of kin is the most sinister Opeth song in ages. It's so creepy.

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1701 on: December 04, 2021, 10:00:07 AM »
Opeth can still make evil-sounding music, they just aren't consistent enough with it. My favorite song on In Cauda Venenum is definitely Next Of Kin - that song is freaky as hell. Also Strange Brew from Sorceress.
Yes to both of those 👍

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1702 on: December 04, 2021, 12:45:39 PM »
Opeth…

How does that work? Mikael's guitar didn't work at some point in Demon Of The Fall. How do they continue to play to a click track after that long pause without a problem?

I actually love the Garden Of The Titans live show, it has one of the best sounds of any live recordings I have ever heard. I don't feel like it's snore fest. That retro-/keyboard-oriented sound is fantastic and it works well with those older songs. Oh and that guitar malfunction really added to Demon Of The Fall and made it better ;)
any rock can be made to roll

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1703 on: December 04, 2021, 05:50:14 PM »
Opeth…

They have a member in the band whose instrumental duties in the band are solely dedicated to doing organ, mellotron, piano, etc., so good luck with that. ;)

That is like saying, "Someone tell DT that they don't need keyboards in every song."  Jordan Rudess is there for a reason, as is Joakim Svalberg. :)

Offline RandalGraves

« Reply #1704 on: December 04, 2021, 07:44:29 PM »
I actually love the Garden Of The Titans live show, it has one of the best sounds of any live recordings I have ever heard. I don't feel like it's snore fest. That retro-/keyboard-oriented sound is fantastic and it works well with those older songs. Oh and that guitar malfunction really added to Demon Of The Fall and made it better ;)

I'm actually a big fan of that show too. Heritage aside, I'm not a huge fan of the production of Opeth's recent albums and think the newer songs fare MUCH better in a live setting. That new(er) keyboardist has a solid voice for harmonies and whatever they use for their acoustic guitar sounds are great!

Offline Volante99

« Reply #1705 on: December 05, 2021, 05:25:30 AM »
Opeth…

How does that work? Mikael's guitar didn't work at some point in Demon Of The Fall. How do they continue to play to a click track after that long pause without a problem?

Change my quote from “the” click track to “a” click track. Total assumption on my part, especially with it being a live DVD. But I have no idea.

It’s super hard to quantify the lack of energy in that show but it just seems to exemplify the problems with the band for me. The whole vibe is just “off”. From a technical/production standpoint, yes, it’s a great recording and that’s the best the band has ever sounded live, I will concede to that.

As far as adding the 50’s soap opera/ballpark organ to all the classic death metal songs; no. Just…no. I get it though, every Swedish citizen gets a copy of Deep Purple In Rock with their birth certificate so the man can’t help himself. 

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1706 on: March 28, 2022, 11:12:47 AM »
OPETH Reveals New Track “Width Of A Circle;”
Preorders For In Cauda Venenum (Extended Edition) Featuring Six Bonus Tracks Available Now

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/news/opeth-reveals-new-track-width-of-a-circle

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1707 on: March 28, 2022, 11:31:43 AM »
It's more three bonus tracks with English and Swedish versions for both.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1708 on: March 28, 2022, 11:43:10 AM »
new book from Jordan Blum
https://twitter.com/JordanBlum87/status/1479856497836408835

"On Track - Opeth: Every Album, Every Song' arrives on 24/2/22 (UK) and 4/29/22 (US). "

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1709 on: March 28, 2022, 11:58:05 AM »
Opeth re-releasing this album is starting to become that meme of GTA V lasting across multiple platforms while other games have 2-3 sequels.  :lol

Offline Kram

« Reply #1710 on: March 28, 2022, 12:23:11 PM »
I wish they would have used the down time during Covid to go into the studio and work on a whole new album, rather than re-release the last album with a few bonus tracks - but that's just me.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 01:37:06 PM by Kram »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1711 on: March 28, 2022, 07:23:39 PM »
Yeah, it feels lazy.  I get that you can't force creativity, but when you see how some artists were crazy productive in the last two years with all of the downtime, it really stands out when you see bands like Opeth, Haken, etc. who seemingly sat on their asses and did nothing new instead of taking advantage of all of the free time.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1712 on: March 28, 2022, 08:00:44 PM »
I would have rather gotten an EP instead of double-dipping on a three-year old album for just a few extra tracks. It feels both too long and not long enough since the release date for an updated reissue.  :lol
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline TM172003

« Reply #1713 on: March 30, 2022, 09:48:08 AM »
Yeah, it feels lazy.  I get that you can't force creativity, but when you see how some artists were crazy productive in the last two years with all of the downtime, it really stands out when you see bands like Opeth, Haken, etc. who seemingly sat on their asses and did nothing new instead of taking advantage of all of the free time.

Well for a start Haken has finished writing their next album, and Mikael has been busy writing the score for a Netflix show. Doesn’t scream laziness to me  ::)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1714 on: March 30, 2022, 10:35:59 AM »
To put the release into perspective. That Special Edition seems like it was made to be specifically sold at the upcoming shows with Mastodon. Then, if you can't attend the shows you can pre-order it for when it's released after the tour is over. Also, it's a way for fans to not have to buy the collectors edition to get the vinyl specific songs.

Which is what I notice people crying about when you have to buy the special version and not being released individually. Which is exactly what Opeth is doing here

So it's best to look at that before claiming that the band is being lazy with this release.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD