Poll

What are your three favorite Opeth records?

Orchid
7 (1.1%)
Morningrise
15 (2.3%)
My Arms, Your Hearse
26 (4%)
Still Life
81 (12.3%)
Blackwater Park
161 (24.5%)
Deliverance
43 (6.5%)
Damnation
53 (8.1%)
Ghost Reveries
152 (23.1%)
Watershed
66 (10%)
Heritage
21 (3.2%)
Pale Communion
32 (4.9%)

Total Members Voted: 224

Voting closed: June 13, 2020, 08:32:34 AM

Author Topic: The official Opeth thread v. In Cauda Venenum  (Read 179065 times)

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
Re: The official Opeth thread v. In Cauda Venenum
« Reply #1645 on: August 28, 2021, 11:31:22 AM »
Wow, Opeth is one of my absolute favorite bands, but I guess I've been out of the loop on Mendez' side projects.  First time checking them out myself, and that was pretty impressive, kind of in-between Opeth's older and newer sounds.  I enjoy newer Opeth material quite a bit, though not quite as much as the older stuff (especially BWP-GR).

Was it you that had the Opeth logo as your avatar at one point?
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1646 on: August 28, 2021, 12:16:08 PM »
Hah, yeah, that was me.  Same colors as this one, ironically (I guess those are sort of my theme colors it seems, maybe from being a big fan of The Matrix as well).  I don't know if this was the exact one, and I can't hunt down the original, but this is close enough. 

« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 12:22:58 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1647 on: September 14, 2021, 10:11:49 AM »
Opeth tour with Mastodon

North American Co-Headline Tour w/ Mastodon
+ Guests Zeal & Ardor
+ "In Cauda Venenum (Connoisseur Edition)" out on Nov 19th

Nov 16 - Asheville, NC - ExploreAsheville.com Arena
Nov 18 - Boston, MA - The Wang Theatre
Nov 19 - Albany, NY - Palace Theatre
Nov 20 - New York City - Hammerstein Ballroom
Nov 21 - Washington, DC - The Anthem
Nov 23 - Nashville, TN - Ryman Auditorium
Nov 24 - Atlanta, GA - The Eastern
Nov 26 - Austin, TX - ACL Live at the Moody Theater
Nov 27 - Dallas, TX - South Side Ballroom
Nov 28 - Sugar Land, TX - Smart Financial Centre at Sugarland
Nov 30 - Mesa, AZ - Mesa Amphitheatre
Dec 01 - Los Angeles, CA - Hollywood Palladium
Dec 02 - Oakland, CA - Fox Theater
Dec 04 - Salt Lake City, UT - The Union
Dec 05 - Denver, CO - The Mission Ballroom

Tickets go onsale Friday September 17 at 10am local time.

Edit: Shit. It's Thanksgiving weekend for the Texas dates. Not sure if I'll make it.  :censored

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1648 on: September 15, 2021, 03:45:44 AM »
I hate it when bands release stuff like this. Every fan has already purchased In Cauda Venenum and two years later they announce a new deluxe juggernaut extra edition with three unheard songs, meaning that you either don't hear the songs or buy the whole album again for a horrendous price.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1649 on: September 15, 2021, 06:00:34 AM »
In Cauda Venenum (Connoisseur Edition) is available as a separate 2LP (180g) version in Swedish and English that includes a 16-page booklet illustrated by internationally renowned Travis Smith. In addition, you can get a limited premium boxset featuring both versions, a 60x60cm poster, as well as an exclusive EP with three previously unreleased Opeth songs in two languages: “Pöbeln” / “The Mob”, “Cirkelns Riktning” / “Width Of A Circle” as well as “Frihet & Tyranni” / “Freedom & Tyranny.”

In Cauda Venenum (Connoisseur Edition) will be available on November 19 in these formats:

- 2LP (black, 180g) - Swedish version in gatefold with 16p booklet
- 2LP (black, 180g) - English version in gatefold with 16p booklet
- Boxset (black or clear vinyl) incl. both versions, poster and exclusive 6-track EP in sleeve

Åkerfeldt adds: "During the pandemic we’ve put together a vinyl remaster ”connoisseur” edition of our latest album, In Cauda Venenum that features 3 (6 really, if you count both versions of each song) previously unreleased tracks from the sessions. These tracks have a high obscurity factor, but I’d like to think they are high quality. Quite different from the rest of the songs on the album, but quality nonetheless. Everything put together in a nice package, for your pleasure."
----

A remastered version of an album released two minutes ago. Fucking hell, eh? :lol
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #1650 on: September 15, 2021, 06:10:46 AM »
Opeth tour with Mastodon

North American Co-Headline Tour w/ Mastodon
+ Guests Zeal & Ardor
+ "In Cauda Venenum (Connoisseur Edition)" out on Nov 19th

Nov 16 - Asheville, NC - ExploreAsheville.com Arena
Nov 18 - Boston, MA - The Wang Theatre
Nov 19 - Albany, NY - Palace Theatre
Nov 20 - New York City - Hammerstein Ballroom
Nov 21 - Washington, DC - The Anthem
Nov 23 - Nashville, TN - Ryman Auditorium
Nov 24 - Atlanta, GA - The Eastern
Nov 26 - Austin, TX - ACL Live at the Moody Theater
Nov 27 - Dallas, TX - South Side Ballroom
Nov 28 - Sugar Land, TX - Smart Financial Centre at Sugarland
Nov 30 - Mesa, AZ - Mesa Amphitheatre
Dec 01 - Los Angeles, CA - Hollywood Palladium
Dec 02 - Oakland, CA - Fox Theater
Dec 04 - Salt Lake City, UT - The Union
Dec 05 - Denver, CO - The Mission Ballroom

Tickets go onsale Friday September 17 at 10am local time.

Edit: Shit. It's Thanksgiving weekend for the Texas dates. Not sure if I'll make it.  :censored

Both of these bands played at the Ryman on separate dates a couple of years ago.  I saw Opeth at the Ryman and the sound was fantastic.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1651 on: September 15, 2021, 06:38:19 AM »
In Cauda Venenum (Connoisseur Edition) is available as a separate 2LP (180g) version in Swedish and English that includes a 16-page booklet illustrated by internationally renowned Travis Smith. In addition, you can get a limited premium boxset featuring both versions, a 60x60cm poster, as well as an exclusive EP with three previously unreleased Opeth songs in two languages: “Pöbeln” / “The Mob”, “Cirkelns Riktning” / “Width Of A Circle” as well as “Frihet & Tyranni” / “Freedom & Tyranny.”

In Cauda Venenum (Connoisseur Edition) will be available on November 19 in these formats:

- 2LP (black, 180g) - Swedish version in gatefold with 16p booklet
- 2LP (black, 180g) - English version in gatefold with 16p booklet
- Boxset (black or clear vinyl) incl. both versions, poster and exclusive 6-track EP in sleeve

Åkerfeldt adds: "During the pandemic we’ve put together a vinyl remaster ”connoisseur” edition of our latest album, In Cauda Venenum that features 3 (6 really, if you count both versions of each song) previously unreleased tracks from the sessions. These tracks have a high obscurity factor, but I’d like to think they are high quality. Quite different from the rest of the songs on the album, but quality nonetheless. Everything put together in a nice package, for your pleasure."
----

A remastered version of an album released two minutes ago. Fucking hell, eh? :lol

I don't mind at times double dipping if I love the album or band, but doesn't look like there is a CD version of this.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #1652 on: September 15, 2021, 12:28:18 PM »
just got my ticket for the LA show, Blabbermouth has the presale code GRIM2021 if anyone else is looking to secure their tickets early  :metal

Online gazinwales

« Reply #1653 on: September 15, 2021, 02:41:48 PM »
So my $160 'Cauda Venenum' super deluxe box set that came out less than two years ago is now redundant?
The vinyl needed remastering already?
Sounds like a cash is job to me, and yes I know I don't have to buy it  :xbones

Offline darkshade

« Reply #1654 on: September 15, 2021, 03:35:02 PM »
Welcome to the modern music business model, where the labels try to squeeze every last penny out of music fans who still buy product, because casual music listeners are fine with streaming, youtube, and sticking to "mainstream" popular music "everyone else" is listening to.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1655 on: November 16, 2021, 11:21:57 AM »
Martin Axenrot out from Opeth

"Conflict of interests....".

Sami Karppinen is the replacement drummer for this tour.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1656 on: November 16, 2021, 11:45:16 AM »
Wow, too bad. I'll say that Opeth is the perfect example of a band that I once loved who I have NO interest in due to their change in direction.

Offline emtee

« Reply #1657 on: November 16, 2021, 11:50:42 AM »
I love Soen but I'd love to see Lopez return. Axe's fills were very predictable to me. Always left to right on the kit and no head scratching, wtf is going on. Lopez is always pushing boundaries and creating fresh fills.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1658 on: November 16, 2021, 11:51:38 AM »
I love Soen but I'd love to see Lopez return. Axe's fills were very predictable to me. Always left to right on the kit and no head scratching, wtf is going on. Lopez is always pushing boundaries and creating fresh fills.

Wasn't the problem with Lopez that he couldn't play sets longer than the hour or something? Maybe he's worked through that now though.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1659 on: November 16, 2021, 01:35:48 PM »
Am I the only one who thinks Lopez' drums always sounded kind of "thin"? Except for Blackwater Park maybe, his drums always could have used a little more punch and depths in the mix. Yes, I get that the lighter style was part of his jazzy approach and that's what people love about him, but imo it wasn't until Watershed that Opeth managed to get a good drum sound on a studio recording (as mentioned, except for BwP). Their earlier albums are great, but imagine Ghost Reveries with a huge, rich drum sound.

Axe leaving the band is a bummer, but I always thought he wasn't able to shine on the studio albums as he did during concerts. His live performances were always great. I wonder what happened within the band. I imagine Mikael isn't particularly easy to work with.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1660 on: November 16, 2021, 01:39:59 PM »

Wasn't the problem with Lopez that he couldn't play sets longer than the hour or something? Maybe he's worked through that now though.

Lopez suffered severe anxiety and panic attacks while in Opeth. He finally got properly diagnosed and controlled after he left. Soen tours for every album overseas. From what I have heard, he's got his issues under control now. That's actually when he started Soen, when he got himself right.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1661 on: November 16, 2021, 02:08:43 PM »
Martin Axenrot out from Opeth

"Conflict of interests....".

Sami Karppinen is the replacement drummer for this tour.

Ah man, as much as Martin is my preferred drummer, I really liked Ax.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1662 on: November 16, 2021, 02:37:56 PM »
Just glad Mikael didnt choose someone with the name Martin.

Now, I want to go see them in Az.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1663 on: November 16, 2021, 02:56:04 PM »
Their tour starts today. Seemed awfully sudden that Axe is out and they get someone to fill in immediately. I just discovered that Sami was Axe's drum tech on the Sorceress tour. He must have been planning to do that again and something happened, which explains why he was available now.

Just guessing, unless they had this under wraps and decided to just announce now. Either way, seems Sami should be fairly familiar with the material.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline DTA

« Reply #1664 on: November 17, 2021, 06:32:49 AM »
Do these guys get a kick out of creating the most boring setlists possible? They release new albums, talk about how great and excited they are about it, play like 2 songs from it, then play the same older shit they always do. What a waste of talent and disrespect for their back catalog

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1665 on: November 17, 2021, 07:30:09 AM »
Do these guys get a kick out of creating the most boring setlists possible? They release new albums, talk about how great and excited they are about it, play like 2 songs from it, then play the same older shit they always do. What a waste of talent and disrespect for their back catalog

Won't comment on the current setlist until I see them tomorrow, but after the disaster that was the first Heritage tour where they went all-in on the new songs and didn't play any songs with growls, they might have given up on attempting something risky like that again.

That happened to be the first time I saw them live, and it was even the first date on the tour. People were pissed. :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline RandalGraves

« Reply #1666 on: November 17, 2021, 07:54:52 AM »
Won't comment on the current setlist until I see them tomorrow, but after the disaster that was the first Heritage tour where they went all-in on the new songs and didn't play any songs with growls, they might have given up on attempting something risky like that again.

That happened to be the first time I saw them live, and it was even the first date on the tour. People were pissed. :lol

Ahh, that makes sense. I saw them that tour and had a blast (loved the album and the songs were even better live, as with most of their recent material) but you got a sense that there were a lot of metalheads standing around going, "What?"

That's a shame about the new setlist. Especially in comparison to Mastodon's which seems like a really cool mix of new and classic material.

Offline DTA

« Reply #1667 on: November 17, 2021, 09:09:32 AM »

The Heritage tour was one of the most boring experiences of my life, so I definitely don't need a repeat of that. But even the back catalog growling songs rarely get changed up anymore, which is frustrating when you consider the songs they do play are 10+ minutes. I don't want to spoil things for you, but if you were to guess the set, I guarantee you'd probably get very close to what they're playing. I think most fans would enjoy more songs from the new album and a few pre-Heritage rarities mixed in with a fan favorite or two.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1668 on: November 17, 2021, 09:20:56 AM »
I only saw them live once on Sorceress tour so I don't have much to go on by but I'd guess it's something like this:

Dignity
Ghost of Perdition
Sorceress
The Devil's Orchard
The Wilde Flowers
Demon of the Fall
Lovelorn Crime
Cusp of Eternity
In My Time of Need
Harvest
Deliverance

I don't know how long the show is though, might be longer or shorter.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1669 on: November 17, 2021, 09:25:37 AM »
Despite it being one of my favorite Opeth songs I am getting sick of them playing Deliverance as the encore every single time (assuming this tour is no different). I want to see them play Blackwater Park instead just once in my life :sadpanda:
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline DTA

« Reply #1670 on: November 17, 2021, 09:28:27 AM »
Despite it being one of my favorite Opeth songs I am getting sick of them playing Deliverance as the encore every single time (assuming this tour is no different). I want to see them play Blackwater Park instead just once in my life :sadpanda:

Even the greatest songs get old when they're played every single time. Especially when it's a 13 minute song and they only play 90 minutes.

Offline Kram

« Reply #1671 on: November 17, 2021, 10:19:27 AM »
Maybe it has something to do with the new drummer only comfortable with certain songs?  Just a thought, and I know you're referring to more than just this show - and overall I share your frustration.  Opeth is one of my all-time favorite bands, but they've seemed to have lost their way recently (and I really like In Cauda Venenum).  Would be great for them to change directions again with their next release.  Maybe something more along the lines of the non growl songs from Watershed like Burden, Porcelain Heart and Hex Omega

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1672 on: November 17, 2021, 11:10:33 AM »
I don't know why Opeth would "have lost their way". They released a well-composed, well-received album two years ago. The first one in their mother tongue, which I love and hope they continue. And fans responded better than to the previous three album I believe. And if it weren't for Covid, they would have been playing well-attended shows since the release of that album. Now they are continuing their touring and they actually do play well-attended shows (I assume). They had some differences with their drummer because their boss is a difficult dude. They hired a replacement immediately and went on the tour anyway. I think they go their way pretty well  ;)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1673 on: November 17, 2021, 12:04:51 PM »
I think it is fair to consider a band having "lost their way" if they did a 180 and changed their core sound, even though by now the 'new' sound has been there for a couple of albums. I consider myself in that camp who will listen to a new album the standard 4-5 times but then never really revisit them again, but the Orchid to Watershed run are almost I go back to every year. I can understand why it's caused some controversy among fans because they really did change their style from one album to another and then kinda just powered through. You have other bands that seem to do it more organically where they might introduce new elements, over a couple of albums they alter their style but Opeth turned their backs on the metal side (which was a big part of their sound) and never really looked back.

I'm happy they get to make the kind of music they want, and I wouldn't be happier if they were going through the motions forcing themselves to make metal, so I think this is the best outcome for them. Still it is a shame as someone who loved their classic sound. :P

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1674 on: November 17, 2021, 12:08:08 PM »
I'm not upset at the setlist at all given the circumstances. Those older songs are songs the replacement likely knows and if is to be the new drummer for Opeth, he should know these Opeth staples.

I think they could've used more New Album songs though.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Kram

« Reply #1675 on: November 17, 2021, 12:48:05 PM »
I don't know why Opeth would "have lost their way". They released a well-composed, well-received album two years ago. The first one in their mother tongue, which I love and hope they continue. And fans responded better than to the previous three album I believe. And if it weren't for Covid, they would have been playing well-attended shows since the release of that album. Now they are continuing their touring and they actually do play well-attended shows (I assume). They had some differences with their drummer because their boss is a difficult dude. They hired a replacement immediately and went on the tour anyway. I think they go their way pretty well  ;)
Maybe saying they've "lost their way" was a little rough, considering I do really like In Cauda Venenum lol.  But what I would say is the Opeth from Still Life to Watershed, is unquestionably one of my favorite bands of all-time.  Absolutely amazing stuff!  But the Opeth from Heritage onward, I would just consider an OK band for my tastes.  So there's my personal frustration.  I would love to see them change directions again for their next release.  Doesn't have to be back to the old Opeth sound, but something different nonetheless.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1676 on: November 19, 2021, 07:29:31 AM »
Saw them last night.
Yeah the setlist was very predictable but that wasn't even the biggest problem - they played every song sooooo slooooooow. Legit almost everything in the set was a good 10bpm slower than on the album, at least. Completely sucked the energy out of most of them. The replacement drummer could possibly be to blame, but I'm pretty sure they slowed down songs on their last couple tours too so who knows.

These guys aren't even that old yet, they're too young to sound this exhausted. :lol

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1677 on: November 19, 2021, 08:24:12 AM »
Sorry, but if your replacement drummer is the reason why you play everything so slow, then you got the wrong replacement drummer.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1678 on: November 19, 2021, 08:31:04 AM »
Saw them last night.
Yeah the setlist was very predictable but that wasn't even the biggest problem - they played every song sooooo slooooooow. Legit almost everything in the set was a good 10bpm slower than on the album, at least. Completely sucked the energy out of most of them. The replacement drummer could possibly be to blame, but I'm pretty sure they slowed down songs on their last couple tours too so who knows.

These guys aren't even that old yet, they're too young to sound this exhausted. :lol

Seeing them tonight. I am mainly going for Mastodon but was planning to stick around for Opeth. Sounds like I might not stay for the whole show  :(
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1679 on: November 20, 2021, 03:15:28 PM »
Makes you wonder if Akerfeldt's heart just isn't into the metal stuff anymore.  Shoot, their music hasn't been metal really is over a decade, so he can probably only fake playing the metal stuff and loving it for so long, but I am sure he knows the fans "need" the token x-number of metal songs in the set list.