Poll

What are your three favorite Opeth records?

Orchid
7 (1.1%)
Morningrise
15 (2.3%)
My Arms, Your Hearse
26 (4%)
Still Life
81 (12.3%)
Blackwater Park
161 (24.5%)
Deliverance
43 (6.5%)
Damnation
53 (8.1%)
Ghost Reveries
152 (23.1%)
Watershed
66 (10%)
Heritage
21 (3.2%)
Pale Communion
32 (4.9%)

Total Members Voted: 224

Voting closed: June 13, 2020, 08:32:34 AM

Author Topic: The official Opeth thread v. In Cauda Venenum  (Read 179052 times)

Offline Fritzinger

Re: The official Opeth thread v. In Cauda Venenum
« Reply #1610 on: November 25, 2020, 08:42:03 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAlDEcQMLio

I'm always amazed when I hear this, that's why I want to leave it here. There are few live recordings I know that sound better than this one. Truly a perfect performance.

The whole concert is amazing. And like (almost?) every Opeth live release, it contains a technical problem, this time during Demon Of The Fall. But this technical error only made this specific part more suspenseful. Fantastic live album, Garden Of The Titans.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1611 on: November 25, 2020, 08:46:18 AM »

I'm always amazed when I hear this, that's why I want to leave it here. There are few live recordings I know that sound better than this one. Truly a perfect performance.

The whole concert is amazing. And like (almost?) every Opeth live release, it contains a technical problem, this time during Demon Of The Fall. But this technical error only made this specific part more suspenseful. Fantastic live album, Garden Of The Titans.

And it was freezing balls, apparently.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1612 on: November 25, 2020, 09:34:01 AM »

Not sure I wanna know what parts of the guys you've seen to know that

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1613 on: November 25, 2020, 10:09:55 AM »

The sound and the playing is good. But while the rest of the band is moving and grooving at least sometimes, Mikael's standing still. I know he plays guitar and sings, so it's hard for him, but seeing him standing there like a statue sucks a lot of energy out of the performance imo.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1614 on: November 25, 2020, 01:25:07 PM »

Not sure I wanna know what parts of the guys you've seen to know that

:lol

He mentions it after Era...

"Thing is you've never seen Jon fucking Bo...Uh...Jon Bon Jovi, freeze one stage...I guess I'm not him."
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1615 on: November 25, 2020, 04:14:27 PM »
While I think In Cauda Venenum was a clear upgrade over Sorceress, it still isn't an album that stuck with me very long as a whole.  The Garroter and Universal Truth are killer songs, but I rarely go back to anything from it now.  Feels like Still Life through Pale Communion will always be that sweet spot for me with this band.

+1

:tup :tup

And heads-up, DTF, the long-standing adage is that whenever KNH and I agree on something, it has to be true, so I rest my case.  :hat :hat

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1616 on: November 26, 2020, 02:13:10 AM »

The sound and the playing is good. But while the rest of the band is moving and grooving at least sometimes, Mikael's standing still. I know he plays guitar and sings, so it's hard for him, but seeing him standing there like a statue sucks a lot of energy out of the performance imo.

I don't mind that a bit. As you mentioned, he is singing AND playing the guitar. And I think his stage presence is fine like it is. Based on the live videos and the one live concert I saw of the band, he is never really running around or rocking out. He still got a lot or charisma. He really IS the steady constant in the middle of the band  ;)

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1617 on: November 26, 2020, 08:58:51 AM »
Yes, he's got charisma and when actually being there it's probably better, but this is metal  :metal, so move at least a little bit when not singing.  :D
It's just that I prefer more action on stage with this kind of music.

Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1618 on: November 26, 2020, 09:04:18 AM »
Nah, I love Mikael's general stage presence and demeanor. I think it fits perfectly with his dry, deadpan sense of humour. Literally wouldn't want it any other way  :lol

Offline emtee

« Reply #1619 on: November 27, 2020, 04:01:10 PM »

Didn't know anything about this show until this post. I've listened twice now. Amazing show! I love how MA  almost acts as a conductor. He lets the show breathe, ebb and flow. Great set list and fantastic sound. And the band is tight!! Such a funny guy too. He cracks me up.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1620 on: March 12, 2021, 01:10:27 PM »
I usually don't watch reaction videos but I did stumbled upon this channel. I think he has some interesting thoughts and is also genuinely curious about the music.

Classical Composer Reacts to Reverie/Harlequin Forest
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #1621 on: March 12, 2021, 01:44:51 PM »
While I think In Cauda Venenum was a clear upgrade over Sorceress, it still isn't an album that stuck with me very long as a whole.  The Garroter and Universal Truth are killer songs, but I rarely go back to anything from it now.  Feels like Still Life through Pale Communion will always be that sweet spot for me with this band.

+1

:tup :tup

And heads-up, DTF, the long-standing adage is that whenever KNH and I agree on something, it has to be true, so I rest my case.  :hat :hat

*checks notes*

Can confirm  :hat

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #1622 on: March 12, 2021, 02:13:17 PM »
I didn't think much of Sorceress at first, but it has grown on me big time. That dirty-sounding distorted production makes the album rather unique.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #1623 on: March 12, 2021, 02:34:26 PM »
It's got some great tracks on it but it really drags a lot in the middle.  I usually have to skip forward a few times when I listen to it.  I think they got better and better at this style as they progressed. 

Offline emtee

« Reply #1624 on: March 12, 2021, 02:52:35 PM »
Good timing. I recently ran through the entire discography. Deliverance is the only album I didn't love hearing again. Something about that album feels too repetitive. GR is among the best metal albums ever created. Watershed and Damnation are close behind. Nobody does contrast between heavy and mellow like Opeth.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1625 on: March 12, 2021, 02:54:14 PM »
Good timing. I recently ran through the entire discography. Deliverance is the only album I didn't love hearing again. Something about that album feels too repetitive. GR is among the best metal albums ever created. Watershed and Damnation are close behind. Nobody does contrast between heavy and mellow like Opeth.

That's interesting because Deliverance might be the best to me. Title track, A Fair Judgement, Master's Apprentices and Wreath are so good. Easily a better album than Blackwater Park for my money.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1626 on: March 12, 2021, 03:06:52 PM »
why does nobody like by the pain i see in others that's a good song too
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Kram

« Reply #1627 on: March 12, 2021, 03:59:54 PM »
I didn't think much of Sorceress at first, but it has grown on me big time. That dirty-sounding distorted production makes the album rather unique.

Sorceress is OK but In Cauda Venenum is much better IMO

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1628 on: March 13, 2021, 02:29:37 AM »
why does nobody like by the pain i see in others that's a good song too
That song is the one that puts Deliverence at the top of the list for me. Yeah, we are pretty much all aware of how amazing Master's apprentices, Wreath and the title track are, but By the pain is the underrated gem.  :metal

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1629 on: March 13, 2021, 05:29:38 AM »
I usually don't watch reaction videos but I did stumbled upon this channel. I think he has some interesting thoughts and is also genuinely curious about the music.

Thanks for sharing. He makes some good analysis of the song. Always impressed with people than can identify a chord so easily.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1630 on: March 13, 2021, 06:13:44 AM »

Thanks for sharing. He makes some good analysis of the song. Always impressed with people than can identify a chord so easily.

I saw some videos of him reacting to metal tracks, for example The Odyssey by Symphony X. It's interesting to hear his point of view because he clearly has some idea of most of what he's talking about.

My only problem with him is: He just doesn't like 16th note double bass attacks and whenever a drummer does that for a few bars, he goes "drummers! There's other things to do on your kit than this!" and then proceeds to ignore everything else the drummer does during the rest of the song  :lol

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1631 on: March 13, 2021, 06:30:57 AM »

Didn't know anything about this show until this post. I've listened twice now. Amazing show! I love how MA  almost acts as a conductor. He lets the show breathe, ebb and flow. Great set list and fantastic sound. And the band is tight!! Such a funny guy too. He cracks me up.

I love Garden of the Titans, such a great vibe for the whole show. All Opeth live shows are fantastic watches and each one is unique even if some of the songs are repeated.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Kram

« Reply #1632 on: March 13, 2021, 11:33:22 AM »

I saw some videos of him reacting to metal tracks, for example The Odyssey by Symphony X. It's interesting to hear his point of view because he clearly has some idea of most of what he's talking about.

My only problem with him is: He just doesn't like 16th note double bass attacks and whenever a drummer does that for a few bars, he goes "drummers! There's other things to do on your kit than this!" and then proceeds to ignore everything else the drummer does during the rest of the song  :lol

Yes, I watched a reaction video of his for Dance of Eternity, and he said the same thing about the double bass drumming.  He was very impressed with JP, JR and JM though

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1633 on: March 13, 2021, 11:50:28 AM »

Yes, I watched a reaction video of his for Dance of Eternity, and he said the same thing about the double bass drumming.  He was very impressed with JP, JR and JM though
It's very much a big part of metal music these days but as a drummer I can definitely see why some would find it annoying to hear alot of the same type of 16th note doublepedal pattern being used everywhere. He will get used to it though.  :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1634 on: March 14, 2021, 04:08:44 AM »

It's very much a big part of metal music these days but as a drummer I can definitely see why some would find it annoying to hear alot of the same type of 16th note doublepedal pattern being used everywhere. He will get used to it though.  :lol

I would have understood it if he had reacted to songs where there's double bass 16th notes most of the time. But in those two examples, there are a few parts where it just fits, and those parts are always just a few bars long.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1635 on: March 26, 2021, 02:37:49 AM »
I guess if it fits is subjective. Using double bass to enhance rythms in metal is standard and I guess he haven't heard it that much or he just reacted spontaneous.

Anyway, here's another fun one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ycf6OjlwZE&ab_channel=DougHelvering

What he says at 12:03 and onwars is spot on.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1636 on: April 16, 2021, 05:39:00 AM »
From Twitter:

★ The 20th-anniversary celebration of Swedish metallers
@OfficialOpeth's game-changing magnum opus is upon us. ✰

New moon symbol EXCLUSIVE Dark Smokey Vinyl
Writing hand Initial Orders w/ Signed Print
🕯 New Range Of Merchandise

https://opeth.tmstor.es

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1637 on: April 17, 2021, 10:58:56 AM »
From Twitter:

I already have the black vinyl of Blackwater Park.

But gawddamnit I couldn't resist buying that dark smokey edition  >:(

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1638 on: April 17, 2021, 12:31:52 PM »
From Twitter:

I'm so tempted! I really shouldn't but it looks beautiful

Offline TM172003

« Reply #1639 on: April 17, 2021, 12:32:05 PM »
I would have understood it if he had reacted to songs where there's double bass 16th notes most of the time. But in those two examples, there are a few parts where it just fits, and those parts are always just a few bars long.

Fair enough, but listening to metal and moaning about double bass in general is a bit silly to me. What does he expect? It’s like shooting yourself in the foot and moaning that you can’t walk.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1640 on: April 17, 2021, 04:59:48 PM »
From Twitter:

I'm so tempted! I really shouldn't but it looks beautiful

I had a look and apart from the colours nothing new, no 'mastered for vinyl' and an uninteresting bonus track (live) that could/should have been the bonus studio cuts for this album.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1641 on: April 18, 2021, 08:58:55 AM »
I already have this album twice; one is the 'Legacy Edition' that features the exact same bonus track and a 5.1 Mix of the album on an extra disc. Weird that they're releasing it yet again.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline pfillion

« Reply #1642 on: June 18, 2021, 01:15:05 PM »
White Stones new single is out today (Martin Mendez new band)

https://youtu.be/sL16VQsD0ec

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1643 on: August 28, 2021, 02:41:26 AM »
White Stones new single is out today (Martin Mendez new band)

https://youtu.be/sL16VQsD0ec

First time hearing WS, this is far better than anything Opeth have done since Watershed.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1644 on: August 28, 2021, 10:15:38 AM »
Wow, Opeth is one of my absolute favorite bands, but I guess I've been out of the loop on Mendez' side projects.  First time checking them out myself, and that was pretty impressive, kind of in-between Opeth's older and newer sounds.  I enjoy newer Opeth material quite a bit, though not quite as much as the older stuff (especially BWP-GR).