Poll

What are your three favorite Opeth records?

Orchid
7 (1.1%)
Morningrise
15 (2.3%)
My Arms, Your Hearse
26 (4%)
Still Life
81 (12.3%)
Blackwater Park
161 (24.5%)
Deliverance
43 (6.5%)
Damnation
53 (8.1%)
Ghost Reveries
152 (23.1%)
Watershed
66 (10%)
Heritage
21 (3.2%)
Pale Communion
32 (4.9%)

Total Members Voted: 224

Voting closed: June 13, 2020, 08:32:34 AM

Author Topic: The official Opeth thread v. In Cauda Venenum  (Read 179815 times)

geeeemo and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Re: The official Opeth thread v. In Cauda Venenum forthcoming
« Reply #1505 on: February 06, 2020, 12:53:33 AM »
I saw Opeth in Helsinki last month and wrote a review

Offline utopiarun

« Reply #1506 on: February 18, 2020, 11:46:43 AM »
Opeth posted yesterday on Twitter about a few shows being cancelled due to Mikael's acute laryngitis. Sorry if you had tix to those shows. I hope he's ok for NY this weekend! Sorry I don't know how to link images.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1507 on: February 18, 2020, 11:53:31 AM »
I was supposed to see Opeth last night but they postponed last minute.  Mikael had laryngitis.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1508 on: February 18, 2020, 12:09:12 PM »
I was supposed to see Opeth last night but they postponed last minute.  Mikael had laryngitis.

Same. :-\ Opted not to get a refund yet, hopefully they re-schedule soon. Maybe even get a venue switch to somewhere better than the Palladium. :neverusethis:
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1509 on: February 18, 2020, 12:21:28 PM »
The Paladium renovated and the place is 1000 x better. I was shocked to see it done.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1510 on: February 20, 2020, 06:13:46 PM »
I remembered and finally bought Garden of The Titans. It's a good live release with a great setlist as well. I wanted to go to this so bad, but had other obligations. The weather being nippy and windy, plus the lighting, made for a great atmosphere/vibe for them.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #1511 on: February 26, 2020, 05:32:20 PM »
Eating at Jimmy Johns before the Opeth concert at the Ryman Auditorium.  Did not look at the set list, but heard it is a good set. 
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 06:05:49 PM by mike099 »
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1512 on: February 26, 2020, 10:24:58 PM »
Eating at Jimmy Johns before the Opeth concert at the Ryman Auditorium.  Did not look at the set list, but heard it is a good set.

It is. Although they have made a couple changes since the NA leg started.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #1513 on: February 26, 2020, 11:01:14 PM »
As expected in the Ryman, the sound was awesome.  I was 3 rows back from the stage.
Graveyard opened and I enjoyed the set and the crowd reacted well to them. They were stoner/jam.

Opeth was really good, although it did bog down a bit for me and a few of the songs were not my favorites, but you can’t please everyone.

As stated in the post above, the set was changed some.  I really wanted to hear a song from Still Life, but got a song from the last album, which rocked.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #1514 on: March 07, 2020, 09:51:05 AM »
I saw them in NYC on their second night at the Apollo. It was a great show and Mikael sounded surprisingly good considering how he was getting over laryngitis.

I didn't care for the opening act Graveyard, they seemed to be a talented group but it just felt like their songs mostly blended together and the set really dragged for me.

I wasn't expecting Mikael to do the new songs in Swedish, but it was definitely cool. They played some of the best songs on the new album and the setlist overall was great. I just found it puzzling that they played the same exact setlist on both nights NYC. I would have been slightly disappointed if I had attended both shows, but as always it was a treat to see them again.  :tup

Online MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1515 on: March 14, 2020, 04:26:44 PM »
Opeth - Hope Leaves

Hmm somethings diffrent  :lol Pretty cool though!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1516 on: April 03, 2020, 07:12:56 PM »
Can I just take the moment to highlight the last couple of seconds of Ghost of Perdition, such a great ending riff!  :metal
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1517 on: April 04, 2020, 09:14:18 AM »
Can I just take the moment to highlight the last couple of seconds of Ghost of Perdition, such a great ending riff!  :metal

That whole song (and album for that matter) is just absolutely perfect IMO. To me, it's the defining Opeth song.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1518 on: April 04, 2020, 09:25:07 AM »

That whole song (and album for that matter) is just absolutely perfect IMO. To me, it's the defining Opeth song.
Yea I pretty much agree on that.

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1519 on: April 04, 2020, 10:01:21 AM »
Ghost Reveries hasn't aged as well as some of their other albums for me; I think it'd just barely crack my top five of theirs. That said, it's the perfect entry point for someone who's first getting into the band. Sits right in the middle between their death metal / progressive rock elements without tipping too far in either direction.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1520 on: April 04, 2020, 11:45:11 AM »
Ghost Reveries hasn't aged as well as some of their other albums for me; I think it'd just barely crack my top five of theirs. That said, it's the perfect entry point for someone who's first getting into the band. Sits right in the middle between their death metal / progressive rock elements without tipping too far in either direction.

That’s one of the many reasons why it’s my favorite album

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1521 on: April 04, 2020, 12:43:13 PM »
It's my favourite album too.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #1522 on: April 04, 2020, 12:47:34 PM »
+2

Offline Volante99

« Reply #1523 on: April 04, 2020, 01:05:47 PM »
Hot take:

Heritage is still the best “post-growl” Opeth album and better than half of their growl albums, and might be in the top 10 prog albums of the decade.

Also, the production on that album is incredible. Listening to the album on some Tannoy Red studio monitors sounds like the band is playing in my room. The drum sounds are orgasmic.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 01:17:02 PM by Volante99 »

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1524 on: April 04, 2020, 03:12:20 PM »
Heritage is still the best “post-growl” Opeth album

Yes!

and might be in the top 10 prog albums of the decade

aaand you lost me. :lol Unless your definition of "prog" is really narrow.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #1525 on: April 04, 2020, 03:26:37 PM »
Heritage is still the best “post-growl” Opeth album

Yes!

and might be in the top 10 prog albums of the decade

aaand you lost me. :lol Unless your definition of "prog" is really narrow.

It’s not that my definition of prog is narrow, I just think it’s THAT good. Case in point, I would easily put it over any DT album of the past decade, except maybe ADToE, and that’s a big maybe.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #1526 on: April 05, 2020, 09:26:07 AM »

I admittedly have a habit of rewinding the last few moments of GoP so I can hear that ending riff a few more times. It's on par with the ending riff of Iron Maiden's Hallowed Be Thy Name in terms of wrapping up an epic with a bang! :metal

Yeah. I'm not sure if it's my absolute favorite Opeth song or not, but I think it's the perfect one to show to newcomers and try to get them hooked right away.

As for Opeth's best album, I'm not sure. I have come to better appreciate and love Ghost Reveries over time, but I've always had a soft spot for My Arms Your Hearse and especially Still Life.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline 425

« Reply #1527 on: April 05, 2020, 09:32:48 AM »
Heritage is still the best “post-growl” Opeth album and better than half of their growl albums, and might be in the top 10 prog albums of the decade.

I adore Heritage. In fact, my hotter take is that it is my favorite Opeth album, period, easily.

Top 10 prog albums of the decade is a really tough list to crack, though.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1528 on: April 06, 2020, 11:25:53 AM »

I admittedly have a habit of rewinding the last few moments of GoP so I can hear that ending riff a few more times. It's on par with the ending riff of Iron Maiden's Hallowed Be Thy Name in terms of wrapping up an epic with a bang! :metal
:highfive:

Did that too the other day, I gotta hear it a couple of times whenever I listen to it.  :lol

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #1529 on: April 06, 2020, 10:50:26 PM »
Just as an aside here, if any folks in the thread are wanting to hear a band that captures a lot of the vibes of classic metal era of Opeth, check out Wilderun. They're more folky/symphonic, but that band definitely seems to capture the vibe of the older era of Opeth without coming off as a total ripoff.

:highfive:

Did that too the other day, I gotta hear it a couple of times whenever I listen to it.  :lol

I tend to rewind it about three to five times before moving on to other stuff. It's just too good an ending! :lol :metal
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline goo-goo

Re: The official Opeth thread v. In Cauda Venenum
« Reply #1530 on: April 07, 2020, 10:12:00 AM »
Was watching Criminal Minds last night (Season 1, Episode 22) and right before it ends, Opeth music comes in the background. The song was Death Whispered a Lullaby. Pretty cool hearing it in a TV series.

Offline Kram

« Reply #1531 on: July 25, 2020, 04:39:36 PM »
I gave this a spin today for the first time in several months and I've got to say it's held up quite well. Definitely the best post Watershed work in my opinion.  Every song is strong IMO.  I got goosebumps at the end of All Things Will Pass.  It's like that part doesn't just resolve the song but resolves the whole album - good stuff!

Offline DTA

« Reply #1532 on: July 25, 2020, 04:57:26 PM »
I wish I liked it. I listened a bunch  the first week it came out and have had zero desire to listen to it since then. None of these songs stick in my head or connect in any way...it's all so lifeless to me and nothing keeps my interest.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1533 on: July 25, 2020, 09:13:18 PM »
I’m a bit confused why people don’t talk about how epic Next of Kin is. The guitar work, and that outro!

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1534 on: July 25, 2020, 09:21:16 PM »
Next Of Kin might be my favorite on the album, yeah. Took a bit for me to warm up to it, though.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1535 on: July 25, 2020, 09:28:22 PM »
My favorite too

Online Mladen

« Reply #1536 on: July 26, 2020, 09:07:00 AM »
That's one of their darkest, most sinister songs in the last ten years. Mikael's vocals are especially chilling.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #1537 on: July 26, 2020, 10:59:37 AM »
I wish I liked it. I listened a bunch  the first week it came out and have had zero desire to listen to it since then. None of these songs stick in my head or connect in any way...it's all so lifeless to me and nothing keeps my interest.

That’s kinda how I feel about the last three albums. Sure there’s an okay riff here, a cool solo there, but there isn’t one single song in the last three albums where I’ve ever said to myself - “Oh, man, I really want to listen to X song again”.

Offline Kram

« Reply #1538 on: July 26, 2020, 12:41:27 PM »
Yes, Next of Kin is one of my favorites too. There's a few good guitar solos on this album.  I really like the solo in Lovelorn Crime as well!

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1539 on: July 27, 2020, 01:06:38 PM »
Intriguing that, in my experience of Opeth so far, the sound I define them by is the acoustic guitar, not the electric. That, or the guitar/organ/bass unison/octaves passages.