Poll

What are your three favorite Opeth records?

Orchid
7 (1.1%)
Morningrise
15 (2.3%)
My Arms, Your Hearse
26 (4%)
Still Life
81 (12.3%)
Blackwater Park
161 (24.5%)
Deliverance
43 (6.5%)
Damnation
53 (8.1%)
Ghost Reveries
152 (23.1%)
Watershed
66 (10%)
Heritage
21 (3.2%)
Pale Communion
32 (4.9%)

Total Members Voted: 224

Voting closed: June 13, 2020, 08:32:34 AM

Author Topic: The official Opeth thread v. In Cauda Venenum  (Read 179621 times)

Offline JLa

Re: The official Opeth thread v. Sorceress
« Reply #1365 on: July 12, 2019, 01:36:09 PM »
Needs more growl / old style Opeth.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #1366 on: July 12, 2019, 06:38:07 PM »
I love the new song and can't wait for this album. I think it's been pretty clear for several years that Opeth is not going back to their old style and Mikael is done with growls other than when they play older songs live.

Offline Bentower

« Reply #1367 on: July 13, 2019, 12:11:37 AM »
The drum sound should've been a tad punchier. As is, the fast, thrashy part just doesn't feel quite right.

Regarding growls, they sounded surprisingly okay for this era when I saw the band a few weeks ago. Being that it was a metal festival they crammed three songs with them (Ghost of Perdition, The Drapery Falls and Deliverance) into a 70-minute set. With Sorceress and The Devil's Orchard it was pretty heavy all-around. In My Time of Need was the sole breather.
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #1368 on: July 13, 2019, 10:04:16 AM »
There is something people don't seem to understand. If they go back to growls, they will sound even worse. Mikael cannot growl well anymore and their most recent live record is a clear representation of that. And nowadays, when they are playing their old songs, they sound like a cover band. They play slower, less intense/agressive, less energy, less intensity on the growls, less distortion. Mikael doesnt hold the growls for long either, which makes it sound lazy, less evil, less enthusiasm.

So growls, no thanks.

On the other hand his singing only got better and better and he should keep going with it.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1369 on: July 13, 2019, 02:05:05 PM »
I don't think my problems with the last 3 albums have anything to do with lack of growls, it's more because of the music itself and the production. I mean most of it is still fine (just not among their better albums) I just wish it was slightly more interesting and slightly better.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1370 on: July 13, 2019, 02:31:13 PM »
Aside from Heritage, I have not had any issues with the music of the last few albums. The production on Sorceress is an abomination and makes it hard to listen to that album. I would have no problems with albums in the vein of Pale Communion, which is my favorite of the no-growl era. It is the perfect blend of old and new Opeth.

I enjoyed the new song and it does sound promising. Considering it was a YouTube rip, it already sounded better than anything on Sorceress from a production standpoint.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1371 on: July 14, 2019, 12:33:36 PM »
Heard it on Spotify as I dont like Youtube quality for hearing new songs. It's a great song, love the 2nd half. This might end up bringing me back into Opeth again. I fell out during Pale Communion, don't know why that album never grabbed me fully, but I do enjoy the songs separately.

The Swedish version is interesting, the stresses and vocables in the language add a certain quality to the vocals.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline JLa

« Reply #1372 on: July 14, 2019, 01:58:24 PM »
To re-phrase myself, the new stuff doesn't necessarily need "growls" per se. The "old" Opeth had a few tracks with less growling as well, and they were awesome. It's just... I miss the old style where the music went back and forth between broootal and mellow/proggy. To me, a huge part of Opeth's brillance was the diversity, and now it's kinda gone.

If it makes them happy, by all means go for it.

I wonder how their fan base has changed along the way? How many jumped ship, how many stayed and how many new fans have joined (= people who love the new style but can't be bothered with anything from Watershed and older!)

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1373 on: July 18, 2019, 12:15:07 PM »
Following the recent release of their new single, “Hjärtat Vet Vad Handen Gör” / “Heart In Hand,” Swedish prog-masters Opeth are giving fans an inside look into the track with a new trailer for the forthcoming album "In Cauda Venenum". The band’s chief songwriter and vocalist Mikael Akerfeldt breaks down the track in the video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBiLa5OersA

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1374 on: July 18, 2019, 01:12:00 PM »
Pre-orders are up:

http://www.opeth.com/stores

Got mine locked in.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1375 on: July 21, 2019, 08:20:34 AM »
I don't know if this was already mentioned, but I just looked at the album lengths on wikipedia, and the new album will apparently be their longest one so far. Very cool.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1376 on: July 21, 2019, 12:25:02 PM »
The new song sounds good to me, and the production is better than on Sorceress, which is a plus :tup Maybe it's because I got into Kent fairly recently, but I think I prefer the Swedish version.

NB has more info on the album: https://www.nuclearblast.de/en/label/music/band/discography/details/5970882.4103148.in-cauda-venenum.html

I find it interesting that Mikael admits he tried to cater to the other guys in the band on Sorceress, because you rarely see him being critical of their newer albums in the press. At least he's already sounded more excited while promoting this album than last time around. Also, the fact that the Swedish version is the primary one that he wants people to listen to makes me think they might actually play those versions on tour even outside Scandinavia.

Offline Bentower

« Reply #1377 on: August 16, 2019, 04:26:18 AM »
New song "Svekets Prins"/"Dignity". It's a strange one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcMdA7Xs8jE

There are audio-only versions as well, but the link is to the video by Costin Chioreanu. His usual fare.
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #1378 on: August 16, 2019, 07:23:56 AM »
A strange and awesome one. :metal I love it!
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1379 on: August 16, 2019, 08:17:57 AM »
Could be because I played it immediately after waking up (seems to be way I check out new singles these days) but boy that was a weird song. In a good way. The dramatic chord progressions sound very Opeth-y but the rest is like a totally new animal. Definitely prefer newpeth to oldpeth and this has me psyched. I want to hear the English version too.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1380 on: August 16, 2019, 08:30:56 AM »
If you just played me the first second and nothing else I would have thought this was a new Devin Townsend song, not an Opeth song. :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1381 on: August 16, 2019, 08:47:42 AM »
Awesome! Very excite for the full release.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1382 on: August 16, 2019, 04:52:10 PM »
What's the go with the King Diamond album cover?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1383 on: August 16, 2019, 05:52:10 PM »
The new song sounds good to me, and the production is better than on Sorceress, which is a plus :tup Maybe it's because I got into Kent fairly recently, but I think I prefer the Swedish version.

NB has more info on the album: https://www.nuclearblast.de/en/label/music/band/discography/details/5970882.4103148.in-cauda-venenum.html

I find it interesting that Mikael admits he tried to cater to the other guys in the band on Sorceress, because you rarely see him being critical of their newer albums in the press. At least he's already sounded more excited while promoting this album than last time around. Also, the fact that the Swedish version is the primary one that he wants people to listen to makes me think they might actually play those versions on tour even outside Scandinavia.

I can't tell anything on the production or mix based on anything on YT  ;D
But I think I prefer the Swedish version of this song already.
I listen to quite a few non English lyrics bands/artists and I don't mind at all.
Even Sabaton's 'Carolus Rex' album released on both languages, I prefer some songs in Swedish, but not them all.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1384 on: August 22, 2019, 12:17:33 PM »
Had a deep listen to Deliverance in my car today and honestly I haven't had a properly listen to every song on that album and I must say how on earth could've missed songs like Master's Apprentices, that song is a riff fest!  :metal By the Pain I see in Others is also a song I never noticed that much. I now feel much ashamed after all these years listening to Opeth.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1385 on: August 22, 2019, 12:20:41 PM »
Very cool song. Sounds like Pale Communion. I'm all on board.
Didn't listen to it but if that's even remotely true I'm excited :corn PC grew to be one of my favorite of their albums
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1386 on: August 22, 2019, 01:10:26 PM »
Deliverance is their most underrated album in my opinion. There are days when I would even call it my favorite one.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1387 on: August 22, 2019, 10:37:04 PM »
Had a deep listen to Deliverance in my car today and honestly I haven't had a properly listen to every song on that album and I must say how on earth could've missed songs like Master's Apprentices, that song is a riff fest!  :metal By the Pain I see in Others is also a song I never noticed that much. I now feel much ashamed after all these years listening to Opeth.

YES!!!   :metal  :metal  :metal
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1388 on: August 23, 2019, 03:49:50 AM »
Picked up Damnation yesterday, my first Opeth album. I've been hesitant to start with this band because the growls are currently a significant put-off. But they're beginning to pick up a collection of clean albums, starting with this one.

In My Time of Need is definitely my favourite track. It kind of reminded me of Steven Wilson's Drive Home at times.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1389 on: August 23, 2019, 07:00:11 AM »
Deliverance is their most underrated album in my opinion. There are days when I would even call it my favorite one.

Yep. I do miss Peter's guitar playing a lot. He came up with killer riffs and solos, and that heavy tone was just right on the spot.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
Re: The official Opeth thread v. In Cauda Venenum forthcoming
« Reply #1390 on: August 24, 2019, 11:51:35 PM »
So in preparation for the new album I've been listening to all of Opeth's albums again (for like the 1000th time). And seriously there isn't a single bad song on any of the albums from Orchid to Watershed. Mikael Akerfeldt is a riff and melody master on the guitar. The quality drop off after Watershed is just so noticeably huge, especially listening to all the albums back to back chronologically. I'm really hoping the new album is something special.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1391 on: August 25, 2019, 02:09:00 AM »
Picked up Damnation yesterday, my first Opeth album. I've been hesitant to start with this band because the growls are currently a significant put-off.
Give it sometime and you'll enjoy it. Honestly, that's how it was for me.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1392 on: September 13, 2019, 07:42:06 AM »
"... the secret weapon of “In Cauda Venenum” lays in how the band wields their considerable strengths and in this regard, they are supremely victorious. As one of the most consistent albums of Opeth career, “In Cauda Venenum” is relentless in its emotion, its range of dynamics and its overall quality. A highlight of 2019 and beyond...”

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/album-reviews/opeth-in-cauda-venenum/

Offline pfillion

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1394 on: September 14, 2019, 07:55:35 AM »

Here's the first of a two part video interview with Consequence of Sound where Mike speaks about the new album, 'heavy' music & more...
https://consequenceofsound.net/video/opeth-mikael-akerfeldt-video-interview-part-1/

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1395 on: September 18, 2019, 02:03:44 AM »
I've been on a bit of an Opeth kick again in preparation for the new album I'm digging some of their post-Watershed albums more than previously. Actually it's mainly Heritage. That album was one of my biggest disappointments and it has taken me a long time to get past that!

I always preferred each subsequent album but I may actually prefer Pale Communion over Sorceress now, it is really good.

Anyway, new album is looking promising and I really like the singles. I'm planning to listen both the Swedish and English versions but I know I'll end up predominately listening to the English version. Is everyone (whose native tongue is not Swedish) planning to do the same? I just have this preconception that the Swedish will sound better but I'll want to understand what Mikael is singing. I just feel that in doing that I'll be somehow missing out on something, if that makes sense.

Damn you for putting me in this position Mikael (but I love you and never change).

:getoffmylawn:

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1396 on: September 18, 2019, 02:29:30 AM »
Yeah, I'll probably listen to the Swedish version once and then stick to English.

Unless the album sucks, then I'll listen to both of them once and that's it. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1397 on: September 18, 2019, 12:09:36 PM »
I'll listen to both. The English version more than likely will be played more than swedish, but I do enjoy Mikaels melodies more in the Swedish version.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1398 on: September 18, 2019, 12:21:55 PM »
I'll probably main the English version solely for the purpose of being able to remember the damn song titles. That's the biggest issue I have with non-English bands.  :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1399 on: September 18, 2019, 03:33:55 PM »
Same here, probably check out the Swedish version once and then stick to the English one. Opeth have sung in English only in the past, so it’ll be weird for me to have him sing in a different language all of a sudden.

But like I said before, which versions are they gonna do live? Will it depend on where they’re playing?