Poll

What are your three favorite Opeth records?

Orchid
7 (1.1%)
Morningrise
15 (2.3%)
My Arms, Your Hearse
26 (4%)
Still Life
81 (12.3%)
Blackwater Park
161 (24.5%)
Deliverance
43 (6.5%)
Damnation
53 (8.1%)
Ghost Reveries
152 (23.1%)
Watershed
66 (10%)
Heritage
21 (3.2%)
Pale Communion
32 (4.9%)

Total Members Voted: 224

Voting closed: June 13, 2020, 08:32:34 AM

Author Topic: The official Opeth thread v. In Cauda Venenum  (Read 178396 times)

Offline Mladen

Re: The official Opeth thread v. Sorceress
« Reply #1330 on: May 26, 2019, 12:18:30 PM »
I like Heritage more than the other to, since its successors were more hammered out and precise. Heritage was insanity, no breaks and it just sound spontaneous as hell. It features more strong songs overall - The Devil's orchard, Lines in my hand, Nepenthe and I feel the dark are truly excellent songs that I can compare to the highlights of the albums that preceded it. The closer is also one of their most gorgeous closers.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1331 on: May 27, 2019, 07:49:54 AM »
I think Heritage works well as a whole album. It has a nice flow from start to finish, although I think it was their least best album since the first two (neither of which are my thing). 

Pale Communion, to me, is definitely the strongest of the last three.  The songwriting is pretty great, and the vibe throughout is tremendous.

Sorceress has some songs I like a lot, but was pretty inconsistent overall.  Since becoming a fan around 2004/2005, it is the Opeth album I got the least mileage out of, by a big distance.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1332 on: May 27, 2019, 08:44:51 AM »
I don't feel I belong to the "they suck cause theyre not metal anymore" category of fans but I feel what made Opeth so amazing was that blend of heavy and soft. Those two elements worked so well together and in many of their best songs it's the parts when the song goes from heavy to soft or vice versa that really sticks out so well. I don't mind that they want to try something new but I feel like they removed that heavy element without replacing it with anything else interesting. I'm also one of few Opeth fans who don't rank Damnation that high. To me it's a good album, but definitely in my lower half of their discography.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1333 on: May 27, 2019, 11:56:21 AM »
The new album news made me start listening to Opeth again. The last 2 days, Sorceress has been spinning on the turntable non-stop and I love it! I think I'll work my way backwards now over the next week or so :)
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Bentower

« Reply #1334 on: May 27, 2019, 12:35:04 PM »
I'm very excited about this new album seeing as I felt Sorceress was their most consistent album since the D&D double whammy.
It's such a shame they didn't re-mix the entire record the way they did Era for the official video. It would've deserved it.
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1335 on: May 28, 2019, 06:08:36 AM »
I don't feel I belong to the "they suck cause theyre not metal anymore" category of fans but I feel what made Opeth so amazing was that blend of heavy and soft. Those two elements worked so well together and in many of their best songs it's the parts when the song goes from heavy to soft or vice versa that really sticks out so well. I don't mind that they want to try something new but I feel like they removed that heavy element without replacing it with anything else interesting. I'm also one of few Opeth fans who don't rank Damnation that high. To me it's a good album, but definitely in my lower half of their discography.

I feel like the heavy never left Opeth. Sure, the distortion is gone and the singing is all Gondor now. But for me, the best thing has always been the dark beauty of their music. The haunted melodies. They used to like to texture their music with juxtaposing harshness with softness but now the heaviness is purely mood.

I get why some don't like the change. I miss some of those older elements now and then (fortunately I still have the old albums) but I'm really happy with the last three albums. I'm enjoying the ride Michael is taking us on, so far. I'll be eager to hear the new album.

Also, (I know I'm going to get killed for this, but) the old Opeth's tendency to strum distorted guitars, in harmony, in a folk music style, for 16 bars, got boring fast. I'm really glad they don't do that anymore.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1336 on: May 28, 2019, 07:19:48 AM »
Also, (I know I'm going to get killed for this, but) the old Opeth's tendency to strum distorted guitars, in harmony, in a folk music style, for 16 bars, got boring fast. I'm really glad they don't do that anymore.

I'm glad you said that because it's very tiresome honestly and that's why a lot of their old albums get old really quickly for me
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1337 on: June 01, 2019, 10:41:35 AM »
Nice interview with Mikael regarding the new album.

http://bravewords.com/features/opeth-what-s-your-poison

Interesting that the original intent was Swedish only. Mikael chickened out, as he put it, and threw together an English version in a day. Says the Swedish version is his real version.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 03:05:56 PM by ProfessorPeart »
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1338 on: June 01, 2019, 02:58:43 PM »
I kind of wished he had the balls to only release the Swedish version. That would be such a classy move.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1339 on: June 03, 2019, 04:04:39 AM »
So again no growls this time. I'm fine with that.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1340 on: June 14, 2019, 08:46:43 AM »
I know I'l really late to the party, but I just gave a listen to Sorceress and I am loving this album. I remember kinda liking Heritage too so it's probably time to go through their discography. Never done it before because of the growls, but maybe they aren't that bad.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1341 on: June 14, 2019, 04:20:05 PM »
As someone who normally is pretty turned off by growls, it is different with Opeth.  Check out Ghost Reveries and Still Life, and report back once you've picked up your jaw off of the ground. :biggrin:

Offline Kocak

« Reply #1342 on: July 01, 2019, 08:28:41 AM »
https://youtu.be/DU9u8aK8rOk

30 seconds of the new Opeth album.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1343 on: July 01, 2019, 08:50:31 AM »
As someone who normally is pretty turned off by growls, it is different with Opeth.  Check out Ghost Reveries and Still Life, and report back once you've picked up your jaw off of the ground. :biggrin:

Bolded the key part. It's exactly the same with me. I could never tolerate growls until Mikael. And even then, it took some time to really embrace them. Still Life was the album that clicked as well. Even now, I have a fairly low tolerance for growls, aside from Mikael. He did open me up to a few bands that I might have never enjoyed though.

I really can't explain why I love Mikael's growls but can barely tolerate almost anyone else.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1344 on: July 01, 2019, 08:53:11 AM »
Opeth was the band that broke the growl entry barrier for me, but... I still don't think Still Life, Deliverance etc. are very good. Watershed, Blackwater, those albums have both satisfying growls and amazing music for my taste.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1345 on: July 01, 2019, 10:36:01 AM »

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #1346 on: July 01, 2019, 11:54:23 AM »
Sounds heavier. I like. I wonder how representative of the new album this is?

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1347 on: July 01, 2019, 11:59:31 AM »
At least it was already confirmed that there are still no growls: http://bravewords.com/features/opeth-what-s-your-poison

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #1348 on: July 01, 2019, 01:18:21 PM »
Opeth was also the first band to make me open to growls. I could only tolerate growls with Opeth. I even liked more the songs who had less growls and more clean singing. But after a couple of years it became the complete opposite. I started appreciating growls much more than the acoustic parts. I started liking more songs like Blackwater Park, The Funeral Portrait (rather than The Drapery Falls and Harvest, you know), Wreath, etc.

From Opeth I started exploring Death and Black Metal. And sure, there are some bands that I cannot tolerate the vocals. But compared to how it was back then... I would say I am much more tolerant and can appreciate many bands with growls.

To those with difficulties to like growls: don't give up. It pays off. Totally.  :metal

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #1349 on: July 01, 2019, 01:32:33 PM »
To those with difficulties to like growls: don't give up. It pays off. Totally.  :metal

This.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1350 on: July 01, 2019, 01:49:49 PM »

I listened to Watershed. It was not really my thing. I will check out those 2 you mentioned, but the growls are still a nope for me. Hope that can change

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1351 on: July 02, 2019, 07:06:24 AM »
Opeth used to be one of my favorite bands. I have not really been into anything post watershed. I liked the sample but we'll see. I'm tempted to go with the swedish version over the english.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1352 on: July 02, 2019, 09:13:55 AM »

I listened to Watershed. It was not really my thing. I will check out those 2 you mentioned, but the growls are still a nope for me. Hope that can change

Ghost Reveries is definitely something else. I approached it thinking I was going to have a similar reaction to Watershed and I am pleased that I was wrong in being prejudiced.  :smiley:

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1353 on: July 02, 2019, 11:52:15 AM »
Regarding the new material, I wonder if they’ll play the English or Swedish versions live? Or maybe it’ll vary depending on where they’re playing?

Offline RandalGraves

« Reply #1354 on: July 08, 2019, 11:26:21 PM »
30 second snippet for tour preview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=27&v=DU9u8aK8rOk

I dig the music. Sounds...aggressively spooky, if that's a thing, hahah. But the mix is still garbage and lacking a punch.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #1355 on: July 11, 2019, 10:23:22 PM »
I've been waiting to explore Opeth for the longest and have yet to dive in (so you have to take my opinion very lightly)... but this new song is pretty damn awesome IMO! :hat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAh7XQ0whvg

Offline Bentower

« Reply #1356 on: July 12, 2019, 04:44:10 AM »
I like it, lots to chew on there. One thing though, the vocals are very loud and Mikael is doing that 'end phrases with an upward motif' thing that annoyed me in Era again. Sheesh.

The swedish version "Hjärtet Vet Vad Handen Gör' is also up. That translates as The Heart Knows What The Hand Does. I think I preferred it.
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1357 on: July 12, 2019, 05:48:39 AM »
I'm debating whether to listen to the track or not. Still over 2 months to wait for. I have the 2 CD edition preordered.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1358 on: July 12, 2019, 06:15:12 AM »
It kind of went by quickly, I didn't pay too much attention to it, but I liked the intro.  :metal

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #1359 on: July 12, 2019, 06:44:00 AM »
It kind of went by quickly, I didn't pay too much attention to it, but I liked the intro.  :metal

Same here, listened to it twice and got distracted without any reason!

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #1360 on: July 12, 2019, 06:49:45 AM »
Listened to both versions of the new single. Honestly it's a huge improvement over Sorceress. Intro is killer, outro doesn't quite do it for me on this song tho. It would work well on its own tho. Song goes by pretty fast despite being like 8min. Both versions are great, but I think I slightly prefer the Swedish version.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1361 on: July 12, 2019, 10:31:40 AM »
I loved the beginning, the brooding intro is great! Musically I think it's whet my appetite, but it's Mikael's vocals that put me off (which is something I never thought I'd say!).

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1362 on: July 12, 2019, 10:57:16 AM »
Very cool song. Sounds like Pale Communion. I'm all on board.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1363 on: July 12, 2019, 10:58:18 AM »
i listened to this. it was pretty fine. i'll probably check out the album at least once regardless. i never got sorceress though and was never convinced i was missing anything by skipping it

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1364 on: July 12, 2019, 12:03:15 PM »
^ That. Except I tired to get into Sorceress a few times and haven't listened to it since the first couple weeks of release. It's really sad but I think my tastes have just moved on from Opeth. It's that weird phenomenon where I WANT to like it, but I just don't, I was just bored with this song. It wasn't a reaction where I'm like "I don't like this", but just that I was sitting there reminiscing on nostalgic times where I loved Opeth and was into them. Which, other than listening to some older songs once in a while, I'm clearly not despite having that urge every now and again. C'est la vie. Maybe there will be a gem or two on the new album. I still do love the hell out of Steven and Mikaels weird "album trilogy", Grace for Drowning, Heritage and the duo's Storm Corrosion (which is still fucking incredible for those that are into atmospheric, gothic, ethereal music).

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.