Poll

What are your three favorite Opeth records?

Orchid
7 (1.1%)
Morningrise
15 (2.3%)
My Arms, Your Hearse
26 (4%)
Still Life
81 (12.3%)
Blackwater Park
161 (24.5%)
Deliverance
43 (6.5%)
Damnation
53 (8.1%)
Ghost Reveries
152 (23.1%)
Watershed
66 (10%)
Heritage
21 (3.2%)
Pale Communion
32 (4.9%)

Total Members Voted: 224

Voting closed: June 13, 2020, 08:32:34 AM

Author Topic: The official Opeth thread v. In Cauda Venenum  (Read 180572 times)

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The official Opeth thread v. Sorceress
« Reply #1295 on: May 22, 2019, 10:42:59 AM »
Very intriguing, wonder how the vocal melodies will compare between the two languages.

I'm wondering the same thing.  Not sure how lyrics can fit a song in two different languages.  The syllable count, rhymes and overall flow will be quite different. 
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1296 on: May 22, 2019, 10:44:29 AM »
Can't wait for Heritage 4: Now in Swedish edition!

And I've seen other bands do the same multiple language release thing before, they know what they're doing, it'll be fine

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #1297 on: May 22, 2019, 10:51:27 AM »
Honestly, I didn't care much for Sorceress but I might check this out. The two language thing is really interesting. Not sure I've heard of anyone doing that before.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1298 on: May 22, 2019, 10:52:32 AM »
Very intriguing, wonder how the vocal melodies will compare between the two languages.

I'm wondering the same thing.  Not sure how lyrics can fit a song in two different languages.  The syllable count, rhymes and overall flow will be quite different.

Sabaton - Carolean's Prayer (English):  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVXGn3H_8lo

Sabaton - Karolinen's Bon (Swedish):  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnfPywPhCVc

Same exact song sung in English and Swedish.  The vocal melodies are pretty much identical.  If you listen to the Swedish version's video, the English lyrics are printed on the video as well and you can hear/understand how they fit in the same melody.

I'd guess that Opeth would follow the same example - the melody is virtually the same, with maybe a few tweaks here or there.

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #1299 on: May 22, 2019, 11:13:43 AM »
Honestly, I didn't care much for Sorceress but I might check this out. The two language thing is really interesting. Not sure I've heard of anyone doing that before.

David Lee Roth released "Eat 'em and Smile" in both English and Spanish.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1300 on: May 22, 2019, 11:17:18 AM »
Rhapsody released The Magic of the Wizard's Dream in 4 different languages as well as recording other songs in 2-3 different languages each, all varying between English, German, French, Spanish, and Italian
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1301 on: May 22, 2019, 11:28:39 AM »
PFM (the italian prog band with Marco Sfogli on guitars) did the same thing for their last album. It was released in English and Italian.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1302 on: May 22, 2019, 11:28:51 AM »

Premiata Forneria Marconi also did this with their latest album!

#Edit: well guess I've been ninja'd
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #1303 on: May 22, 2019, 11:59:04 AM »
Dang, how have I not heard about any of them? I actually know about some of these bands. I'll have to check out some of those

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #1304 on: May 22, 2019, 12:56:58 PM »
Rhapsody released The Magic of the Wizard's Dream in 4 different languages as well as recording other songs in 2-3 different languages each, all varying between English, German, French, Spanish, and Italian

It's been a long while since I listened to that song, I'll have to do it today!

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1305 on: May 22, 2019, 01:48:52 PM »
I'll be going into this fairly lukewarm because i haven't loved an Opeth album since Watershed and as far as I'm concerned Sorceress was the most "meh" out of the last 3 albums, but maybe low expectations could be good. Have no interest in the dual language thing. Even as a swede i have zero interest in music sung in swedish. If I end up really liking the album I could see myself checking out some of the swedish versions on youtube just out of curiosity. :P

Offline DTA

« Reply #1306 on: May 22, 2019, 04:20:37 PM »
My expectations are so low that I may be pleasantly surprised if this thing is even remotely bordering on having some interesting moments.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1307 on: May 23, 2019, 01:37:49 AM »
Instead of the swedish version he should release a growl version, I would like that probably more.  :biggrin: :metal

Semi-excited for this, while the "new" direction isn't bad (except for Heritage, which was a major letdown), Blackwater Park and Ghost Reveries are just so much better than everything else and I fear those glorious days are definitely gone.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1308 on: May 23, 2019, 07:38:06 AM »
Instead of the swedish version he should release a growl version, I would like that probably more.  :biggrin: :metal

Semi-excited for this, while the "new" direction isn't bad (except for Heritage, which was a major letdown), Blackwater Park and Ghost Reveries are just so much better than everything else and I fear those glorious days are definitely gone.

It's kind of funny, I just realized that I view post-Watershed Opeth the same way I view post-MP DT - cautious optimism. Pale Communion is a really good album which is closest to pre-Heritage in terms of style (minus growls), Heritage is crap and Sorceress is borderline unlistenable due to the horrible production. I think I would like Sorceress better if I could actually listen to it.

This one came out of left field so it will interesting to see what happens. It's an auto-buy but I will probably check out some samples beforehand, which I usually don't do.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1309 on: May 23, 2019, 07:45:13 AM »
The old albums ain't going anywhere. I for one embrace the direction they've taken even if I don't like Heritage and don't often play Sorceress (although I like that one quite a bit).
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1310 on: May 23, 2019, 07:58:11 AM »
I'm genuinely curious as to why a lot of you view Pale Communion to be the best of their post-Watershed albums. It's easily the worst out of the three for me. Heritage makes up for the lack of heaviness with some really excellent dark and atmospheric parts, and Sorceress has a good amount of well-written if a bit straightforward songs. Pale Communion on the other hand just feels like a jumbled mess of 70s nostalgia with no real cohesion or atmosphere.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1311 on: May 23, 2019, 08:14:28 AM »
I'm genuinely curious as to why a lot of you view Pale Communion to be the best of their post-Watershed albums. It's easily the worst out of the three for me. Heritage makes up for the lack of heaviness with some really excellent dark and atmospheric parts, and Sorceress has a good amount of well-written if a bit straightforward songs. Pale Communion on the other hand just feels like a jumbled mess of 70s nostalgia with no real cohesion or atmosphere.

Heritage goes nowhere, the songs just aren't there, they just plod along without anything memorable.

Pale Communion has much better songs and more cohesive songwriting, for me it's closest to the "classic" Opeth but not as heavy and obviously without the growls.

Sorceress has more straightforward songs, but I like a lot of them, but it's the production that kills it a bit.

But all of that is only my opinion so it's highly subjective.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1312 on: May 23, 2019, 08:44:44 AM »
I think Pale Communion is just a solid, well structured album. It has good production, its songs have a lovely, somber atmosphere that doesn't put interesting instrumentation on the backburner in favor of mood the way Heritage does (in my opinion), and there's so much variety. I think Faith In Others is such a beautiful piece of music, so is River, but the two songs couldn't be more different. And that's a good thing, because generally Opeth always has this very gloomy vibe to their music, and River is a nice little break of sunshine on an otherwise dreary day. Cusp of Eternity and Eternal Rains Will Come have an infectious groove. Goblin is an interesting instrumental. Moon Above Sun Below is also wonderful. I think Pale Communion's order of songs make the album flow very well. It's definitely my favorite album since Watershed, and I think it's one of the best albums Opeth has ever done.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1313 on: May 23, 2019, 09:46:23 AM »
I think Pale Communion is just a solid, well structured album. It has good production, its songs have a lovely, somber atmosphere that doesn't put interesting instrumentation on the backburner in favor of mood the way Heritage does (in my opinion), and there's so much variety. I think Faith In Others is such a beautiful piece of music, so is River, but the two songs couldn't be more different. And that's a good thing, because generally Opeth always has this very gloomy vibe to their music, and River is a nice little break of sunshine on an otherwise dreary day. Cusp of Eternity and Eternal Rains Will Come have an infectious groove. Goblin is an interesting instrumental. Moon Above Sun Below is also wonderful. I think Pale Communion's order of songs make the album flow very well. It's definitely my favorite album since Watershed, and I think it's one of the best albums Opeth has ever done.

Well said, pretty much all of this. PC is the only album so far out of the new era that I can rank up with the classic records.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1314 on: May 23, 2019, 12:21:18 PM »

Heritage goes nowhere, the songs just aren't there, they just plod along without anything memorable.

Pale Communion has much better songs and more cohesive songwriting, for me it's closest to the "classic" Opeth but not as heavy and obviously without the growls.

Sorceress has more straightforward songs, but I like a lot of them, but it's the production that kills it a bit.

Dude, we are simpatico on this. You literally typed what's in my head.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1315 on: May 23, 2019, 12:27:57 PM »

I mostly agree with this except my opinion on Heritage is a bit higher—I consider The Devil's Orchard and Folklore to be classic Opeth songs.

The production on Sorceress is exactly what's bothering me I guess. Will O' The Wisp is just great, and a lot of heavier songs also have potential, but somehow it just doesn't sound right to me.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1316 on: May 23, 2019, 12:47:36 PM »
I can definitely see why people would find the more ambient, atmospheric parts of Heritage to be boring, but I think criticizing them for having "nothing going on" is kind of missing the point. Songs like Haxprocess aren't really eventful, but that's not what they're going for. Rather, they're trying to capture a mood, and the more ambient, subdued composition is there for that reason. Personally, I think it works really well, and the lack of music like that on Pale Communion (except for Elysian Woes, I suppose) was one of my biggest disappointments with it. But like I said, I can understand how that's not everyone's thing.

The production on Sorceress isn't that good, but it could be a lot worse and I don't think it really gets in the way of the music all that much.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1317 on: May 23, 2019, 01:26:42 PM »
I like all of the last 3 albums.

Really looking forward to this one.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1318 on: May 23, 2019, 01:47:02 PM »
I like them all as well. Heritage is great, Pale communion is very good, and Sorceress is also solid, although I haven't returned to it in a while. Maybe I should revisit it, but then again, maybe I should revisit the entire discography.  ;D

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1319 on: May 24, 2019, 04:47:04 AM »
New album looks like a concept album of some sorts to me. Can't wait!
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline the_silent_man

« Reply #1320 on: May 24, 2019, 08:35:03 AM »
Relistened to both Sorceress and Pale Communion today because of this announcement.

Still really not a fan of Sorceress. It feels uncohesive, messy and not very memorable. Opeth's worst for me.
On the other hand, still really digging Pale Communion. Strong melodies and good flow, has some classic Opeth sounds too.

Huge fan of classic Opeth, but sadly some of the elements that made them great are lost in the new stuff - namely the contrast between heavy growl sections and beautiful, clean jazzy moments.
See what the new album holds. I doubt they'll reintroduce growls again, but I would welcome a metal album with a good flow.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1321 on: May 24, 2019, 11:47:48 AM »
My expectations are so low that I may be pleasantly surprised if this thing is even remotely bordering on having some interesting moments.

Sadly (or not?) this is how I feel as well. On the other hand, I did come in here to see if there was any news of the band either disbanding, continuing a break or releasing anything soon so I have some vestige of interest apparently.

It's surprising to hear that so many people find the dual language song a weird thing; it's by no means a popular thing to do but over the years tons of bands have done it. I'm sure it'll obviously have a different vibe in Swedish but it shouldn't drastically change anything unless the band does so on purpose. Mikael seems to have a firm grasp on both languages vernacular, so it's not like one will be a bastardization of the other.

"Excited" is probably a bit much to say for me, but I'm definitely glad that they're releasing something.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #1322 on: May 24, 2019, 03:05:40 PM »
The album cover got me thinking Ghost Reveries 2. Just hoping the music is heavy and production is good.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1323 on: May 26, 2019, 07:00:02 AM »
I don't quite understand this: How can you like one of the past three Opeth albums and not like another one at all? I mean sure you can like one better than the other, but in my opinion they have found a particular style on three albums. How is it possible to have such a different opinion on them?
any rock can be made to roll

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1324 on: May 26, 2019, 07:01:51 AM »
I don't quite understand this: How can you like one of the past three Opeth albums and not like another one at all? I mean sure you can like one better than the other, but in my opinion they have found a particular style on three albums. How is it possible to have such a different opinion on them?

Just because they are stylistically similar does not mean the songwriting is at the same level across all three albums.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1325 on: May 26, 2019, 08:32:01 AM »

Because taste? Heritage is boring as sin.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1326 on: May 26, 2019, 08:36:08 AM »

Because taste? Heritage is boring as sin.

100%

Plus it was the first album in this current (non metal) style. For me, hearing this after being obsessed with Ghost Reveries and Watershed, I was so unbelievably underwhelmed. It still hurts me to think back on it!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1327 on: May 26, 2019, 08:38:21 AM »
Heritage is my to-go album to play whenever we're playing Arkham's Horror at our tabletop days with friends. Weirdly, it works—in fact, I've got a few people on board for Opeth with that.

Granted, the album is only an hour long and Arkham's Horror game is usually longer, but Heritage works wonders as the first album for that game.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1328 on: May 26, 2019, 10:35:00 AM »
Heritage is my to-go album to play whenever we're playing Arkham's Horror at our tabletop days with friends. Weirdly, it works—in fact, I've got a few people on board for Opeth with that.

Granted, the album is only an hour long and Arkham's Horror game is usually longer, but Heritage works wonders as the first album for that game.

I could totally see it working in that context. I just never reach for it when I want to actively listen to music. Although this discussion is making me want to revisit it so maybe I'll do that today.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1329 on: May 26, 2019, 11:38:52 AM »
I find all three post Heritage albums to be quite different. Pale Communion is my favorite, mostly because the songwriting is better than on either of the other albums. It also has the most Opethian sound to me, despite not being a Metal album. It gets pretty heavy in places though. Sorceress does too but it meanders a lot and I can't get past the production. Heritage has a lot of really interesting atmospheric stuff but few songs actually stick with me.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods