Poll

What are your three favorite Opeth records?

Orchid
7 (1.1%)
Morningrise
15 (2.3%)
My Arms, Your Hearse
26 (4%)
Still Life
81 (12.3%)
Blackwater Park
161 (24.5%)
Deliverance
43 (6.5%)
Damnation
53 (8.1%)
Ghost Reveries
152 (23.1%)
Watershed
66 (10%)
Heritage
21 (3.2%)
Pale Communion
32 (4.9%)

Total Members Voted: 224

Voting closed: June 13, 2020, 08:32:34 AM

Author Topic: The official Opeth thread v. In Cauda Venenum  (Read 179036 times)

Offline RandalGraves

Re: The official Opeth thread v. Sorceress
« Reply #1225 on: October 09, 2017, 02:18:49 PM »
I'm a little taken aback from the Watershed/Heritage hate. Well, not "hate" per se, but "lack of like!" Watershed is my favorite of their albums. Coming off GR, it feels and sounds a little more organic. It's got some of their most beautiful melodies and heaviest moments (Heir Apparent, baby!). Heritage was certainly a shock, but there was something special about that album too. They went full-tilt with the style, and Axenrot absolutely kills it. Love the atmosphere, love all the tracks. Both Pale Communion and Sorceress have really seemed like lesser versions of Heritage for me. But to each their own. Either way, I'd love to see Opeth crank out something heavier in the future, but I imagine this is the route Ackerfeldt want's to go these days.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1226 on: October 09, 2017, 02:26:32 PM »
That drum solo in Porcelain Heart is what sold me on Axe's place in the band. Haunting!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1227 on: October 09, 2017, 02:31:15 PM »
The upcoming issue of Prog has an exclusive live CD of Opeth and an interview with Mikael Åkerfeldt.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1519586944747270&id=157808174258494

My issue is shipped.... just wanted to give you a heads up.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1228 on: October 09, 2017, 03:07:14 PM »
I don't live anywhere near where I could possibly get this magazine and I'm not a subscriber. I don't know if I can just order this issue somehow...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1229 on: October 09, 2017, 03:08:27 PM »
I'm a little taken aback from the Watershed/Heritage hate. Well, not "hate" per se, but "lack of like!" Watershed is my favorite of their albums. Coming off GR, it feels and sounds a little more organic. It's got some of their most beautiful melodies and heaviest moments (Heir Apparent, baby!). Heritage was certainly a shock, but there was something special about that album too. They went full-tilt with the style, and Axenrot absolutely kills it. Love the atmosphere, love all the tracks. Both Pale Communion and Sorceress have really seemed like lesser versions of Heritage for me. But to each their own. Either way, I'd love to see Opeth crank out something heavier in the future, but I imagine this is the route Ackerfeldt want's to go these days.

I mean, Watershed is probably my #2 Opeth album, behind GR. I think it is great, I got into Opeth when GR came out so Watershed was the first album of theirs that I eagerly anticipated. It totally delivered. By the time it came out I hadn't heard all of Opeth's back catalogue (think I'd bought BP and SL but they were the only other albums I'd heard). By the time Heritage dropped I was totally in love with Opeth and think the only albums I'd not heard were Orchid and Morningrise. Heritage was such a disappointment for me, I still find it a really dull listen. I don't have a particular issue with the change in direction they took as I really like PC and Sorceress. I dunno, I think Heritage was nothing like what I was expecting and I still can't listen to it without feling that disappointment I initially felt. Shame really but there you have it.

The upcoming issue of Prog has an exclusive live CD of Opeth and an interview with Mikael Åkerfeldt.

Got mine in the post yesterday  :corn not listened to it yet though.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1230 on: October 09, 2017, 03:09:41 PM »
I don't live anywhere near where I could possibly get this magazine and I'm not a subscriber. I don't know if I can just order this issue somehow...

If you just want the CD I could just send it to you after I've put it on my laptop?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1231 on: October 09, 2017, 03:24:11 PM »

If you just want the CD I could just send it to you after I've put it on my laptop?

I wouldn't mind that, I'll pay of course :)

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1232 on: October 09, 2017, 03:31:03 PM »
Heritage was certainly a shock, but there was something special about that album too. They went full-tilt with the style, and Axenrot absolutely kills it. Love the atmosphere, love all the tracks. Both Pale Communion and Sorceress have really seemed like lesser versions of Heritage for me.
You know what? I kind of agree with you - to me it feels like Heritage is the album Mikael had always wanted to make and is the purest representation of the music he loves, and the fact that he named it the album he wants to be remembered for in this article from last spring echoes that. While PC is decent and Sorceress pretty solid, I love Heritage for its "screw everyone's opinions, let's do whatever the hell we like" spirit.

I think after Heritage Mikael (and co.) didn't want to repeat the exact same formula, yet he didn't want to go back to the roots either, so the latest 2 feel a little bit watered down in comparison and don't have as strong and clear a vision behind them. When PC came out he admitted that Heritage was pretty crazy and that PC would be more listener-friendly (not radio-friendly, mind you), and I remember one interview where he was talking about the title-track of Sorceress and how heaviness seems to be such a big deal to some fans, which almost made it sound like he wrote the song just so he could go to the metal audience and say "well, here's some heavy shit for ya - happy now?"

In other words, it looks like Mikael sees Heritage as the culmination of his career and these latest albums have just been slightly more accessible and heavier takes on that sound, but that's just my theory. I hope the next album will take them in a new direction once again - after all, a trilogy of 70s prog is probably enough, and I'd like to think that the lyrics of Era hint at the start of another chapter in the band's history. /ramble

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1233 on: October 09, 2017, 06:49:12 PM »
I might be in the minority but I hold Heritage as one of their best. Love it more than both PC and Sorceress.There is just something magical happening there to my ears.
Heritage is a fantastic album, and it's easily better than the last two, in my opinion. 

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1234 on: October 09, 2017, 09:28:48 PM »

It is pissible both to buy single issues and to subscribe worldwide... i have tried both.

Unfortunately they seem to use pigeons for delivery as it takes weeks... worth the wait though in my opinion

Anywy it can be bought from here:

https://www.myfavouritemagazines.co.uk/music/prog-magazine-subscription/?force_sid=a4o5a31kfu4b53qtren6s34gq3

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1235 on: October 10, 2017, 07:27:44 PM »
Heritage was certainly a shock, but there was something special about that album too. They went full-tilt with the style, and Axenrot absolutely kills it. Love the atmosphere, love all the tracks. Both Pale Communion and Sorceress have really seemed like lesser versions of Heritage for me.
You know what? I kind of agree with you - to me it feels like Heritage is the album Mikael had always wanted to make and is the purest representation of the music he loves, and the fact that he named it the album he wants to be remembered for in this article from last spring echoes that. While PC is decent and Sorceress pretty solid, I love Heritage for its "screw everyone's opinions, let's do whatever the hell we like" spirit.

I think after Heritage Mikael (and co.) didn't want to repeat the exact same formula, yet he didn't want to go back to the roots either, so the latest 2 feel a little bit watered down in comparison and don't have as strong and clear a vision behind them. When PC came out he admitted that Heritage was pretty crazy and that PC would be more listener-friendly (not radio-friendly, mind you), and I remember one interview where he was talking about the title-track of Sorceress and how heaviness seems to be such a big deal to some fans, which almost made it sound like he wrote the song just so he could go to the metal audience and say "well, here's some heavy shit for ya - happy now?"

In other words, it looks like Mikael sees Heritage as the culmination of his career and these latest albums have just been slightly more accessible and heavier takes on that sound, but that's just my theory. I hope the next album will take them in a new direction once again - after all, a trilogy of 70s prog is probably enough, and I'd like to think that the lyrics of Era hint at the start of another chapter in the band's history. /ramble

Interesting post.  :tup :tup

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1236 on: October 11, 2017, 12:54:17 AM »
I might be in the minority but I hold Heritage as one of their best. Love it more than both PC and Sorceress.There is just something magical happening there to my ears.
Heritage is a fantastic album, and it's easily better than the last two, in my opinion.

This. I love the shit out of it. Marrow Of The Earth alone has more mysticism and quiet beauty than the last two albums combined to my ears. It makes it ten fold better than it's in the trilogy of being thematically connected to the almighty Storm Corrosion and the equally beautiful Grace For Drowning. I thought that was so awesome when they announced the three albums are a trilogy and I always try to listen to them together whenever I can...which isn't often, sadly. But there's definitely a kind of spiritual connection, despite there being only minor connections musically.

At this point, funny enough... much like Porcupine Tree, I wouldn't mind Opeth breaking apart and seeing what Akerfeldt does with a completely fresh slate and his own imagination and want to take him wherever he pleases. Although I will say this much: I think Akerfeldt has a lot more control over Opeth than Wilson did over PT, so it might not be as drastic of a change as PT to Wilson solo was.

Even so, a very big part of me is expecting more along the lines of what we've gotten the last couple albums but with perhaps a slightly different take. A small part is really excited to hear what they come up with. Expecting the worst, hoping for the best.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1237 on: October 11, 2017, 01:51:18 AM »
I remember Mikael introducing Lines in my hand in a concert a few years ago as a song from their least popular album, but they will proceed to play it since they personally love the album. The song went over well and Mikael seemed happy.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1238 on: October 11, 2017, 02:43:07 PM »
I remember Mikael introducing Lines in my hand in a concert a few years ago as a song from their least popular album, but they will proceed to play it since they personally love the album. The song went over well and Mikael seemed happy.

I've just returned from the Opeth gig and they've played nothing from Heritage, which is unfortunate, as I like the album a lot.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1239 on: October 12, 2017, 03:08:54 AM »

Just listening to the live CD now. I don't know if Mikael was just having a bad night but his harsh vocals are way off at times. I know they have probably deteriorated but it's sad. At times he still nailed it but some of it sounded pretty bad.

Last time I saw Opeth live was '08 and his vocals were still spot on then. I'm going to see them next month and I really hope his vocals are on form that night. It's still a pretty cool live CD though.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1240 on: October 12, 2017, 03:44:06 AM »
That's the concert I was talking about, I was there. To be honest, I was way too excited to see Opeth with an orchestra and a choir, the whole experience was so overwhelming and beautiful that I really don't remember noticing something was off with Mikael's vocals. I really don't recall.

I have to listen to the live release of that concert, I'm happy they recorded it.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1241 on: October 12, 2017, 03:48:09 AM »
Are the live tracks from the Sorceress bonus cd from that gig?

If so Mikael sounds good on the clean vocals but horrible on the growls in Drapery. But then those live recordings sound a bit muddy anyway.

I always thought he gave up the growls from Heritage on because he didn't want to make this kind of music anymore, but if he sounds like this maybe it's also because he can't do this kind of music anymore.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1242 on: October 12, 2017, 06:13:46 AM »

If so Mikael sounds good on the clean vocals but horrible on the growls in Drapery. But then those live recordings sound a bit muddy anyway.

I always thought he gave up the growls from Heritage on because he didn't want to make this kind of music anymore, but if he sounds like this maybe it's also because he can't do this kind of music anymore.

That is always how it seemed to me. I recall hearing the second live release of Bloodbath and Mikeal sounds awful there (compare their two releases, the difference is massive). He blamed the earpieces then but I honestly doubt it, since he sounded the same in Opeth. That said, in recent live (festival) recordings I have heard he sounded pretty good in terms of growling.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1243 on: October 12, 2017, 04:26:03 PM »

That is always how it seemed to me. I recall hearing the second live release of Bloodbath and Mikeal sounds awful there (compare their two releases, the difference is massive). He blamed the earpieces then but I honestly doubt it, since he sounded the same in Opeth. That said, in recent live (festival) recordings I have heard he sounded pretty good in terms of growling.
Yeah, in the pro-shot summer festival videos I've seen from this year his growls sound a little better than in recent years - maybe quitting smoking helped? He throws in a few high screams here and there, and at a few points you can almost imagine it's 2008 again if you close your eyes. :D

BTW, I'm going to see Opeth live on Monday and interview Fredrik before the show :caffeine: I've got a load of questions in mind already, but if you've got any cool ones, feel free to shoot them my way. :)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1244 on: October 12, 2017, 06:19:41 PM »
I don't care how well you take care of your voice, growling like that has to take a major toll on it, and I get why he doesn't do it as much and doesn't sound as good when doing it.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #1245 on: October 13, 2017, 12:28:19 AM »
I thought/think that as well, but some time ago there was an article in our local newspaper where they said that if done right, growls have no more effect on the vocal chords than singing. They interviewed some growlers (that I didn't know apart from Angela Gossow) and some vocal/singing coaches. That article sounded legit, so maybe it's all a matter of the right technique?

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1246 on: October 13, 2017, 01:58:10 AM »
The weird part is that, if growling takes toll on your voice, how come your clean vocals aren't effected as well?

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #1247 on: October 13, 2017, 02:17:13 AM »
Just listening to the live CD now. I don't know if Mikael was just having a bad night but his harsh vocals are way off at times. I know they have probably deteriorated but it's sad. At times he still nailed it but some of it sounded pretty bad.

Last time I saw Opeth live was '08 and his vocals were still spot on then. I'm going to see them next month and I really hope his vocals are on form that night. It's still a pretty cool live CD though.
No wonder. His growls have been getting worse since 2005.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #1248 on: October 13, 2017, 03:08:52 AM »
Can't talk about live but on record I find him strongest from Blackwater Park (2001) to Watershed (2008).

Online gazinwales

« Reply #1249 on: October 13, 2017, 03:33:41 AM »
Yes at the Sydney Opera House earlier this year, his clean voice was amazing with the venue's acoustics, his growls were not good, very low in the mix and didn't sound anywhere near his best.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1250 on: October 13, 2017, 06:32:23 AM »
The weird part is that, if growling takes toll on your voice, how come your clean vocals aren't effected as well?

Good question. He can speak just fine though, right? Clean singing isn't as taxing an extension on that as growling is.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1251 on: October 20, 2017, 12:38:13 AM »
My interview with Fredrik was cancelled due to the band's tight schedule :sad: I still got to see the show though, and my report is here: https://www.musicalypse.net/opeth-w-hexvessel-finlandia-talo-helsinki-16-10-2017-english/

More photos here: https://www.musicalypse.net/opeth-w-hexvessel-finlandia-talo-helsinki-16-10-2017/

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1253 on: August 17, 2018, 05:26:17 AM »
That video included is awesome. The venue looks incredible. Can't wait to pick this up.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #1254 on: August 17, 2018, 05:47:33 AM »
Awesome, indeed! Too bad the setlist is short and there's just one song from Pale Communion.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #1255 on: August 17, 2018, 08:02:39 AM »
I think that is the first time I have ever seen a drummer playing with a leather jacket. But in my view, this release is totally unnecessary, irrelevant even. Yes, the venue looks awesome and the sound is good, but most of the songs were already played live in other live albums. Not only that, but Mikael's growls don't sound nearly as good as they used to. I don't see the point of releasing a new live album with songs they have been playing for years on every tour. There isn't anything new there, only the songs from Sorceress.

The setlist is also very short. But it is similar to the Roundhouse Tapes. At least there they included songs that had never appeared in live albums before and Mikael's growls were still acceptable.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1256 on: August 17, 2018, 08:26:01 AM »
Definitely a very short setlist, I'm just glad we're getting something rather than nothing.

From the setlist

01. Sorceress (live)
02. Ghost Of Perdition (live)
03. Demon Of The Fall (live)
04. The Wilde Flowers (live)
05. In My Time Of Need (live)
06. The Devil's Orchard (live)
07. Cusp Of Eternity (live)
08. Heir Apparent (live)
09. Era (live)

10. Deliverance (live)

we are getting 6 songs that haven't been released before so something better than nothing. I didn't get to see them on tour at all so this is my only window to their live performances.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #1257 on: August 17, 2018, 08:38:50 AM »
A live version of Cusp of Eternity has been released on the Sorceress' second disc. There are also a couple of live versions on youtube from festivals such as Wacken.

Heir Apparent has been released in the live album "The Devil's Orchard - Live At Rock Hard Festival 2009" and has also been played on every tour (like Cusp of Eternity) and also has official videos from festivals such as Wacken.

The Devil's Orchard is the same thing. Overplayed, featured on live cd, featured in official videos from festivals. It was also released in the live album from Plovdiv:

https://www.discogs.com/Opeth-Enslaved-Opeth-Enslaved/release/10967425

Deliverance and Demon of the Fall are also there... And this was last year..

The other songs that you didn't mention: Ghost of Perdition, Demon of the Fall, In My Time of Need, Deliverance all appeared on live albums and/or DVDs. Aside from that, they have been played over and over again on almost every tour.

So what you are getting are 3 new songs which didn't appear on live records nor DVDs. All the rest did.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 08:44:41 AM by ChuckSteak »

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1258 on: August 17, 2018, 08:51:23 AM »
Did not know about those releases at all. I was comparing the highlighted songs to the previous official live releases. How's the sound quality on the two live releases?

They appear to be magazine bonuses, are they just as good as official recordings?

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #1259 on: August 17, 2018, 09:46:52 AM »
Did not know about those releases at all. I was comparing the highlighted songs to the previous official live releases. How's the sound quality on the two live releases?

They appear to be magazine bonuses, are they just as good as official recordings?
The sound quality of both releases have the same quality as any official live recording. And the videos from festivals were pro-shot, even though they were not officially released.