Poll

What are your three favorite Opeth records?

Orchid
7 (1.1%)
Morningrise
15 (2.3%)
My Arms, Your Hearse
26 (4%)
Still Life
81 (12.3%)
Blackwater Park
161 (24.5%)
Deliverance
43 (6.5%)
Damnation
53 (8.1%)
Ghost Reveries
152 (23.1%)
Watershed
66 (10%)
Heritage
21 (3.2%)
Pale Communion
32 (4.9%)

Total Members Voted: 224

Voting closed: June 13, 2020, 08:32:34 AM

Author Topic: The official Opeth thread v. In Cauda Venenum  (Read 179032 times)

Offline Rattlehead

Re: The official Opeth thread v. Sorceress
« Reply #1190 on: June 10, 2017, 07:36:07 PM »
Okay, I gave Sorceress another whirl and remembered that the majority of the album sounds fine.  It's bizarre how they cranked the shit out of the bass for three songs (title track, The Wilde Flowers and Chrysalis), and then everything else sounds fine.  Weird.

The way I see it, I think they were just going for that dirty, sticky sound. A bit of an homage to really old records where the technology wasn't quite there yet.

Bingo - I'm in total agreement with you there. I think this album was a bit tougher to digest at first for that reason.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1191 on: October 04, 2017, 02:12:20 AM »
Bump!

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/upcoming_releases/opeth_taking_a_sabbatical__then_planning_twisted_new_album_thats_not_for_everybody.html

Opeth Taking a Sabbatical & Then Planning 'Twisted' New Album 'That's Not for Everybody'.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1192 on: October 04, 2017, 03:29:17 AM »
Weren't they planning a sabbatical already two years ago and then Sorceress came out of nowhere?  :lol

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1193 on: October 04, 2017, 06:19:01 AM »
"New album that's not for everybody" sounds like they were pure mainstream up until now.   :D
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1194 on: October 04, 2017, 06:39:41 AM »
I haven't LOVED an Opeth album in a while so I wanna be excited about "something new", but I just know in my heart it will be another 70s sounding retro-style album.

Online Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1195 on: October 04, 2017, 05:16:50 PM »
Haven't they been making albums that weren't for "everyone" over the last 6 years or so?
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline DTA

« Reply #1196 on: October 04, 2017, 05:48:46 PM »
I always get the feeling that Mikael is extremely jealous of Steven Wilson and is trying desperately to outdo him or at least be perceived as as innovative and progressive as him. It's failing miserably and ruining Opeth in the meantime unfortunately.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1197 on: October 05, 2017, 08:46:27 AM »
I always get the feeling that Mikael is extremely jealous of Steven Wilson and is trying desperately to outdo him or at least be perceived as as innovative and progressive as him. It's failing miserably and ruining Opeth in the meantime unfortunately.

Why would you think that?

Pale Communion and Sorceress still have that Opeth sound. Its not in the style of metal. Its more Rock now. I actually prefer it because it sounds more sinister than their past albums.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1198 on: October 05, 2017, 09:05:05 AM »

Interesting. I couldn't disagree more! Opeth just gets better and better. Heritage was a misstep but besides that each album for 10+ years has only gotten better and better, Pale Communion and Sorceress are two of my favorites. But, I also really don't care about several of their early albums. I don't think he's trying to outdo Steven at all and I doubt he's jealous. Mikael seems full of creativity, he's not eager to rest on his laurels and he's already trying to move on past Sorceress to the new stuff. That's an artist right there, I bet he's totally comfortable with what he's doing.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline busty sinclair

« Reply #1199 on: October 05, 2017, 09:08:05 AM »
I dont know what to think of opeth anymore. The last three records have been good there are songs I definitely like on each record but it just doesnt excite me as much. I can still go back to older records and get goosebumps listening to that stuff. I totally understand you cant do it forever and as much as i would miss the band i also think i would rather see them go out on a high note

Offline majo

« Reply #1200 on: October 05, 2017, 01:46:26 PM »

Interesting. I couldn't disagree more! Opeth just gets better and better. Heritage was a misstep but besides that each album for 10+ years has only gotten better and better, Pale Communion and Sorceress are two of my favorites. But, I also really don't care about several of their early albums. I don't think he's trying to outdo Steven at all and I doubt he's jealous. Mikael seems full of creativity, he's not eager to rest on his laurels and he's already trying to move on past Sorceress to the new stuff. That's an artist right there, I bet he's totally comfortable with what he's doing.
Liked all the changes/progress they've made since Blackwater Park (still my favorite) except Heritage. Chapeau to them for always trying something different while remaining awesome.  :metal
Life's too short to remove USB safely.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #1201 on: October 05, 2017, 03:50:28 PM »
Opeth has been pretty much dead since 2005.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #1202 on: October 05, 2017, 04:48:49 PM »

Watershed was released in 2008.

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #1203 on: October 05, 2017, 04:51:40 PM »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1204 on: October 05, 2017, 04:57:04 PM »

Pale Communion and Sorceress still have that Opeth sound. Its not in the style of metal. Its more Rock now. I actually prefer it because it sounds more sinister than their past albums.

Agreed.  A lot of those songs are very much in the vein of the non-metal and/or non-growling songs from the 00s albums.  It still sounds like Opeth to me.  :coolio

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1205 on: October 05, 2017, 05:27:48 PM »

Agreed.  A lot of those songs are very much in the vein of the non-metal and/or non-growling songs from the 00s albums.  It still sounds like Opeth to me.  :coolio

I feel the same. Pale Communion felt like the natural step from Watershed. Instead, they took the pit stop which was Heritage, an album that I still really can't listen to. Sorceress was good as well. Again, felt like the next progression from Pale. Just wish they had removed the mud from in front of the amps.

Opeth has fallen on my list. For awhile, my top 2 bands were probably the Swedish contingent of Opeth and Katatonia. Now, I put Katatonia solidly above Opeth in terms of current material. Especially after Katatonia's last album.

I will always hold out hope that MA will surprise me with another stellar album. Opeth is still an auto-buy. Don't see that changing.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #1206 on: October 05, 2017, 08:44:35 PM »

And Watershed is the worst album of their heavy ones. By far.

Online Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1207 on: October 05, 2017, 09:39:43 PM »

Maybe but at least it's better than Heritage.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1208 on: October 05, 2017, 10:07:16 PM »

I would disagree with that. A lot.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1209 on: October 05, 2017, 10:08:34 PM »
Watershed is better than the first three Opeth records and Deliverance, if you ask me (plus Heritage and Sorceress).

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #1210 on: October 05, 2017, 10:18:01 PM »
Watershed is better than the first three Opeth records and Deliverance, if you ask me (plus Heritage and Sorceress).

I think I agree with that.

It’s a fantastic album.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1211 on: October 05, 2017, 10:25:15 PM »
I might be in the minority but I hold Heritage as one of their best. Love it more than both PC and Sorceress.There is just something magical happening there to my ears.
And Deliverance..... the song espescially the ending is about the best music ever written. It just crushes me everytime.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1212 on: October 05, 2017, 11:23:05 PM »
I actually like Watershed quite a bit, but I would say that was the start of the decline. Their first two albums were really good, but for me the golden era of Opeth started with My Arms Your Hearse and ended with Ghost Reveries (even though I don't love Damnation as much as some people). My Arms Your Hearse, Deliverance, Still Life & Ghost Reveries are my favorites.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1213 on: October 06, 2017, 12:26:33 AM »
Like the new albums or not, Mikael definetely has a  big hard on for Steven Wilson.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #1214 on: October 06, 2017, 01:03:53 AM »
I like the new style of Opeth much more than the old, seriously!

I still listen Pale Communion and Sorceress quite often. Can't remember the last time i listened to the old Opeth albums, other than Still Life and Blackwater..

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #1215 on: October 06, 2017, 02:16:06 AM »
I actually like Watershed quite a bit, but I would say that was the start of the decline. Their first two albums were really good, but for me the golden era of Opeth started with My Arms Your Hearse and ended with Ghost Reveries (even though I don't love Damnation as much as some people). My Arms Your Hearse, Deliverance, Still Life & Ghost Reveries are my favorites.
I agree.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1216 on: October 06, 2017, 06:20:17 AM »

This. Though Deliverance isn't my favorite but it's still solid. I also think you missed Blackwater Park.  ;)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1217 on: October 06, 2017, 06:32:48 AM »
I mean Blackwater Park is definitely great. Personally I would put it just below those 4 I mentioned. While it does have some of their best songs (title-track, Leper Affinity, Bleak, Drapery Falls & Harvest), I feel like the rest just pales in comparison, and while I don't dislike Dirge for November or The Funeral Portrait, I would say they are 2 of the weaker songs from the golden era of Opeth. Meanwhile on Deliverance, Ghost Reveries, Still Life & My Arms Your Hearse, I think the lowest points are better and the higher points are still strong.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1218 on: October 06, 2017, 07:26:50 AM »
Deliverance is kinda meh overall, though it has the odd great moment. Same for their first three albums - of those four, MAYH is probably the strongest as it's very atmospheric.

For me, their best albums are BWP and GR, easily.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline emtee

« Reply #1219 on: October 06, 2017, 07:47:31 AM »
Every time he starts talking about making a new album, for many years, he uses the same type of words...'dark' 'twisted' 'evil'
so in that sense this will be no departure from the norm. Now if he said 'I want to make an uplifting album' THEN I would say
whoa...

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1220 on: October 06, 2017, 08:04:54 AM »
Deliverance is kinda meh overall, though it has the odd great moment. Same for their first three albums - of those four, MAYH is probably the strongest as it's very atmospheric.

For me, their best albums are BWP and GR, easily.

Add Damnation to the best albums at #3 and that's excatly how I feel.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1221 on: October 06, 2017, 08:15:44 AM »
Haven't they been making albums that weren't for "everyone" over the last 6 years or so?
More like 22 years.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1222 on: October 06, 2017, 08:30:47 AM »
Every time he starts talking about making a new album, for many years, he uses the same type of words...'dark' 'twisted' 'evil'
so in that sense this will be no departure from the norm. Now if he said 'I want to make an uplifting album' THEN I would say
whoa...

In his defense, River makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.  :biggrin:

And I like Watershed way more than Blackwater Park actually. It's my favorite Opeth album...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline busty sinclair

« Reply #1223 on: October 06, 2017, 08:39:10 AM »
I absolutely LOVE watershed. It sucked me in right off the bat with coil. i'm sucker for that girls voice and the double reed instruments. I still get goosebumps when i listen to heir apparent. Ghost reveries is still my favorite but this isnt too far behind. I think if you look at opeths entire catalog. Thats the most opeth sounding record you can see where they're going to go with the non metal stuff but you can see where they've been.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1224 on: October 06, 2017, 12:30:21 PM »
Watershed is good, but coming off of GR, it’s a bit of a slump. The only way I can enjoy it is if I not compare the 2.

As for the 3 most recent releases, PC is by far the best. The only one out of the 3 I can consider a classic Opeth album.