Poll

What are your three favorite Opeth records?

Orchid
7 (1.1%)
Morningrise
15 (2.3%)
My Arms, Your Hearse
26 (4%)
Still Life
81 (12.3%)
Blackwater Park
161 (24.5%)
Deliverance
43 (6.5%)
Damnation
53 (8.1%)
Ghost Reveries
152 (23.1%)
Watershed
66 (10%)
Heritage
21 (3.2%)
Pale Communion
32 (4.9%)

Total Members Voted: 224

Voting closed: June 13, 2020, 08:32:34 AM

Author Topic: The official Opeth thread v. In Cauda Venenum  (Read 179044 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
The official Opeth thread v. In Cauda Venenum
« on: July 20, 2014, 09:25:26 AM »
Okay, it's time for a new Opeth thread, since the other one has runs it course, and I think it would be nice if we didn't discuss the new album until it's officially out in stores.  If the mods want to keep the other one open in the meantime until then, so the early listeners can discuss it there, fine by me, but since some of us want to wait to hear it, I think it'd be nice to have an Opeth thread that we can read without spoilers, yes? :)

In the meantime, discuss all other things Opeth.

:metal :metal
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 11:31:35 AM by hefdaddy42 »

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Re: The official Opeth thread v. Discuss Pale Communion on August 26th!!
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 10:19:16 AM »
I thought threads were supposed to reach 100 pages or so before a new version is needed. We're only a little over halfway there. :P
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Yeah, but this is for people who don't wanna have spoilers fuck it up for them.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline senecadawg2

Well since PC is off limits in here, can we just take a moment to talk about how great, and underrated, Morningrise is? It's been battling with Still Life for my 2nd place spot, behind Ghost Reveries, for a few months now.

The Night and the Silent Water  :heart
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
I think I'd like Morningrise more if the production wasn't so sterile-sounding.

And if it didn't have Black Rose Immortal on it.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
I think I'd like Morningrise more if the production wasn't so sterile-sounding.

And if it didn't have Black Rose Immortal on it.

>:( :censored

:lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
 :lol

And yay new thread!

Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

• DT.net Member
My top 5 underrated Opeth songs:

1. The Twilight is my Robe

2. Hours of Wealth

3. The Funeral Portrait

4. Karma

5. Nectar
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
3. The Funeral Portrait

4. Karma

5. Nectar

Those are all great.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
interesting ranking (before people quibble over what consitutes "underrated Opeth" – i'd say anything off the first two is a valid choice except "Forest of October" and "To Bid You Farewell")

1. The Funeral Portrait
2. The Amen Corner
3. Black Rose Immortal
4. Karma
5. Godhead's Lament

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran

2. Hours of Wealth

3. The Funeral Portrait

4. Karma

5. Nectar

you're no longer a member of the "By The Pain I See In Others" Defenders Club?
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
I honestly think The Funeral Portrait is my favorite Opeth song. I was unaware of it being underrated.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline adace

My top 5 (arguably) underrated post-Still Life songs:

1. Wreath
2. Weakness
3. Hessian Peel
4. Nepenthe
5. Face in the Snow

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I don't listen to The Funeral Portrait that often, but I always enjoy it a lot when I do.

On the flip side, it is really aggravating to me that The Leper Affinity and Dirge for November both have fantastic mellow outros in songs I otherwise don't care for that much.  I mean, I don't dislike either, but neither does much for me, aside from those outros.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA Man, Dirge is my favorite Opeth song by far and away.

I still think it has the most amazing into and outro of any song of all the times. Every one of them. Dat outro....dat outro makes me feel the feels of the November SO HARD.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 10:25:53 PM by TioJorge »

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
The intro and outro to Dirge are great. The rest of the song... not so much.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
I think it brings the song full circle. I definitely love the intro and outro more than the middle section, but I still love it; it's an absolute black hole in the middle of a field of flowers. The lyrics and tone...some of the lowest singing from Akerfeldt throughout...it's especially encompassing towards the end and then just lets you go and it's back to the beauty. I wouldn't appreciate the beginning and end nearly as much if it were mellow throughout. But to each earhole's own.

RIP DTP.

• DT.net Member

2. Hours of Wealth

3. The Funeral Portrait

4. Karma

5. Nectar

you're no longer a member of the "By The Pain I See In Others" Defenders Club?

I definitely am but I have trouble thinking of which track to omit from this list.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I definitely am a big fan of Hours of Wealth.  That and Isolation Years are two of my favorite mellow Opeth tunes, and big reasons why Ghost Reveries is one of my favorite Opeth records. 

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
If we're talking underrated, I would say:

1. The Twilight Is My Robe
2. The Amen Corner
3. Masters Apprentices
4. Weakness
5. Isolation Years

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA Man, Dirge is my favorite Opeth song by far and away.

I still think it has the most amazing into and outro of any song of all the times. Every one of them. Dat outro....dat outro makes me feel the feels of the November SO HARD.

Definitely. Every moment on Dirge and Leper are just perfect. In fact, I'd argue that every moment on Blackwater Park is near-perfect.

Offline Rattlehead

If I had to make a top 5 for underrated Opeth songs it would look something like this as of now…

1. Karma
2. By The Pain I See In Others
3. The Amen Corner
4. Nectar
5. Isolation Years

I was pleasantly surprised to see so many people giving Karma and The Amen Corner some love  :heart

Offline 425

Honestly, I think the second half of Blackwater Park significantly outshines the first. It's carried of course by the excellence of the song Blackwater Park, but Dirge for November and The Funeral Portrait are both brilliant pieces in their own right. Dirge for November was the first Opeth song with growls that I got into, and that's in no small part because the growls are so subdued compared to their other songs. Those low growls really fit the mood of the song and the lyrics, and they're what convinced me that BWP would not be totally inaccessible to me. Meanwhile, The Funeral Portrait just has some great energetic riffs and well-crafted vocals, which make it just a great listen. And the moment when Steven Wilson comes in at the end is one of the best Opeth moments, in my opinion. And even though Patterns in the Ivy is a short little transition piece, it's an incredibly evocative one that is actually one of my favorites on the album. In fact, I think I'd rank all the songs from the second half of BWP higher than all the songs from the first half of BWP. And I do like the songs from the first half of BWP.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Rattlehead

Meanwhile, The Funeral Portrait just has some great energetic riffs and well-crafted vocals, which make it just a great listen. And the moment when Steven Wilson comes in at the end is one of the best Opeth moments, in my opinion.

I wholeheartedly agree with this  :tup Definitely one of my favorite Opeth songs and that ending is also one of my favorite goose bump inducing Opeth moments  :metal

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train

2. The Amen Corner
3. Masters Apprentices
4. Weakness
5. Isolation Years

Master's Apprentices is underrated?

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member

2. The Amen Corner
3. Masters Apprentices
4. Weakness
5. Isolation Years

Master's Apprentices is underrated?

I actually see a lot of people hate on it sadly. Personally I think it's one of their best.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Master's Apprentices nicely sits in the middle for me as far as Deliverance goes.  It doesn't touch the title track or A Fair Judgment, but it's far better than Wreath or By the Pain I See in Others, neither of which I dislike.

Oh, and regarding BWP, Patterns in the Ivy is one of my favorite pieces of Opeth music ever.  The piano is so damn mesmerizing.

Offline Basekick

Meanwhile, The Funeral Portrait just has some great energetic riffs and well-crafted vocals, which make it just a great listen. And the moment when Steven Wilson comes in at the end is one of the best Opeth moments, in my opinion.

I wholeheartedly agree with this  :tup Definitely one of my favorite Opeth songs and that ending is also one of my favorite goose bump inducing Opeth moments  :metal

Seriously that outro is fantastic. 

But for the record, the best song off of BWP is The Drapery Falls and it's not even close.  Considering BWP is my Opeth favorite album and I adore every single song on this album, that says a lot.
"10,000 hours of practice - not talent - creates virtuosos."

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded."  - Jimi Hendrix

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

Honestly, it's really hard to compare and make all the songs on BWP compete with each other. They all have such different, but insane strengths that I'm hard-pressed to name my favorite song overall from the album off the top of my head, and I think that's part of why it's without a doubt my favorite Opeth album.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
One of the weirdest things for me is that I do not remember Dirge For November or The Funeral Portrait at all. I've listened to Blackwater Park probably a good 35-40 spins (if not more) over the years, and whenever I hear the songs, I go "oh yeah, this is THAT song", but as soon as the album ends, any memory about both songs just leave my brain. I know one starts off calmer and I think the other one starts off heavier, but I honestly don't remember. I think the word "forgettable" is harsh, but my main problem that has always prevented me from placing BWP as my very favorite is the fact that neither Funeral Portrait or Dirge clicked. They're both fine tracks, they just never clicked for me. I'm able to identify what makes them good and I can see why others would like them, but it's kinda like a movie people praise, and when you watch it, your reaction is "that was cool I guess".

Offline 425

I know one starts off calmer and I think the other one starts off heavier, but I honestly don't remember.

Well, you remember that, at least. Dirge and Funeral, respectively.  :tup

And that's unfortunate that they don't do anything for you, but to each his own, I suppose.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
Also like to throw massive love to Harvest. Another song I feel encompass the Opeth-vibe perfectly. Basically BWP's vibe gives me the fall feels and makes me all tingly in my jingleballs.

RIP DTP.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
For a chat about favorite Opeth songs I see a dissapointing lack of Ghost Of Perdition

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
Ghost of Perdition is ridiculously good. Seems like it's one of those songs where it's just a given that it's everyone's favorite.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline PolarizeMe

Basically BWP's vibe gives me the fall feels and makes me all tingly in my jingleballs.

All of Opeth's albums give me an autumn vibe, but Damnation also gives me a rainy day vibe and sometimes a Winter vibe strangely enough.