Poll

What is your familiarity with Led Zeppelin

Beginner (Stairway to where?)
8 (8.8%)
Intermediate (I know the radio hits)
18 (19.8%)
Advanced (I know some of the deep cuts; have a box-set)
32 (35.2%)
Expert (I even own Coda, and have watched The Song Remains the Same)
33 (36.3%)

Total Members Voted: 91

Author Topic: The Led Zeppelin Discography Discussion: v. Everything still turns to gold  (Read 56044 times)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Since I've Been Loving You
Tangerine
Tiles
Gallows Pole
Immigrant Song
(and then everything else)
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Mr Crowley :2metal:   ;D

Another album I need to check out post Top 50.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
Awesome story Tempus!  :metal  I don't think I've ever really noticed the "Squeak" but I'll be listening for it now.  In the 70's, the thing that drew me to bands like Zep, Sabbath and Deep Purple, was the power.  So when I first heard LZ3 I was a lil...put off by it.  I wouldn't actually embrace this album till I was well into my 20's and was able to really appreciate it.  Sure, songs like Immigrant and SIBLY were awesome, but that was it for me initially.  I did always love Hey, Hey, what can I do.  Hands down the best single (non-album) song the band ever did IMHO.  It made for an awesome 45, Immigrant Song/HHWCID.

Immigrant Song
Since I Been Loving You
Gallows Pole
Celebration Day
Out On the Tiles
That's the Way
Tangerine
Friends
Hats Off to Roy Harper
Bron-Y-Aur Stomp

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
I don't like III quite as much as II, but That's the Way is probably my favorite LZ song, and immigrant song is up there too.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
The one thing for bands like Led Zeppelin and other in the 70's was that they were not restrained into one style of music.  Sure there were bad reviews but the bands themselves did not let those influences stop them to play multiple styles of music.  Sure it still happens today but not like a band like led Zep.  Look at III for example.  Hell, look at their whole catalog and each album is so different from the one before. 

Bands today are less experimental when it comes to changing their sound.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Bands today are less experimental when it comes to changing their sound.

No shit.  Zeppelin would change their sound during an album, not even album-to-album.  As I said, "samey" could never be used to describe them.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Look at even Sabbath.  Diversity in albums are a thing of the past.  Wait to we get to my 3 favorite album run for Zep, HOYT ----PG.  Heaven man, heaven.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Oddly, I didn't own LZIII on CD until a few years ago.  I didn't buy it back when I went through my LZ discovery phase because several friends advised me that it was Immigrant Song and a bunch of average tunes.  Boy, were they wrong! I am not gonna overrate this and say it's as good as many of their other albums, but it's a lot better than I thought it was gonna be.  Aside from the beastly Immigrant Song, Bron-Y-Aur Stomp, That's The Way and Since I've Been Loving You are all great as well.  There are definitely some average songs on here, and it's too bad that they didn't include Hey Hey What Can I Do on this record; it would have made it better.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Its funny... I've heard Hey Hey What Can I Do so many times in the past few years but I never realized it wasn't on an album until I went hunting for it specifically on my phone. I was disappoint.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Mladen

This record is tremendous, it has such an amazing vibe and the softer songs never get boring one bit. Immigrant song, Celebration day and Since I've been loving you (this is some good bluesy Zep) are my favorites, along with the extremely underrated and fun Hats off to Roy Harper. Probably top 3 Zeppelin album for me.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
It's a great album, no question, and I love the variety.  But I prefer both of the first two to this one.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Zeppelin III was actually my second album in my discovery.  After IV, there was a vinyl of III lying around the house, so I spun that pretty regularly before getting into the other albums.  Given the diversity of IV that I knew already, III's diversity didn't put me off at all.  However, I can't stand Hats of to (Roy) Harper.  If they had replaced that with Hey Hey, this would be my #1 Zeppelin album.  Alas, it's relegated to second place solely because of the closing track.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
III took a while to grow on me, and honestly I have to be in the mood for it to pull it out. I mainly bought it for Immigrant Song and Since I've Been Loving You (the latter of which flirts with the top of my Zep song list on occasion depending on mood) and while I have no problem with the diversity of the album compared to the first two, I have to be in the proper mindset to listen to it.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline jammindude

Not enough love for Friends....   When I bought the album, I started with the one that everyone has heard.   But it was the second song that made me go  :hefdaddy and really sold me that this album was something special.    But the latter half does fall off the table a bit.

My ranking:

Since I've Been Loving You (well, of course)
Friends
Gallows Pole
Out on the Tiles
Immigrant Song
Celebration Day
That's the Way
Tangerine
Bron-Y-Aur Stomp
Hats Off to (Roy) Harper
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
I just never got into this album.  "The Immigrant Song" is great, but I knew the musical South Pacific before I knew this album, and the main hook (Plant's scream) always sounds like "Bali Hai" from South Pacific.  Celebration Day is fine, but I prefer the live version from The Song Remains the Same.  The rest, wow, a bit too much twangy stuff going on, I guess.

But I do have the original vinyl, with the cutout wheel and all.  Maybe that counts for something.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
Probably my second or third favourite Zep record.  Love it. 

Immigrant Song
Celebration Day
Friends
Out on the Tiles
That's the Way
Gallows Pole
Bron-Y-Aur Stomp
Tangerine
Hats Off to (Roy) Harper

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
From the opening thunderous guitar riff, and what is arguably Plants most soaring vocal moment, Immigrant Song gives us another sub 3-minute track grabs you by the short and curlies, and never let's go.  And of course, the source of the subsequent reference to the band and their sounds as the "Hammer of the Gods", and the title of one of their better biographies.  With the heaviness of the music, and the mystical Norse mythological lyrics (inspired by their recent shows in Iceland, and Plant's love of Celtic history), this album opens just like the previous two albums, but then ...

Wait ... Where did the metal go?  Completely acoustic led, with bongos for the beat, and string accompaniment, Friends is the first of the many 'not like anything else we've ever done' songs on Zeppelin III.  On display here is the band's influence from the far east, and an attempt by Page at psychedelia.  The Moog outro provides a link to ....

Originally, one of John Bonham's drum tracks was to be used in the intro of Celebration Day, but an engineer accidentally erased the recording (and apparently fled the studio in fear of his life). Unable or unwilling to re-record it, the synthesizer drone outro from the end of "Friends" was used to fill up the gap. The song is a very harsh and abrupt transition from the mellow-ness of Friends.  It's like the band got a little schizophrenic, retreating back to a rock/metal sound, though this one still throws in a few new and creative sounds with a monotonic drone created by Jones on a Moog synthesizer, with Plant's lyrical inspiration coming from his impressions of New York City.

In my opinion, Since I've Been Loving You is the band's flagship blues song.  It's not influenced by the blues, this IS the blues. Page makes the guitar absolutely cry and wail, and I dare say there is more emotion coming out of Page on the guitar than there is from Plant on the mic.  To steal a line from my good pal RJ, the solo that Page lays down could stop a bar fight.  I personally think it's the 2nd best solo in their entire catalog.  Jones provides some wonderful mood music on the organ and the bass throughout, while Bonham shows us he's capable of absolutely anything.

Possibly the most obscure track on the album (I think I could count on one hand the number of times I've heard it on the radio), Out on the Tiles definitely the most metal.  I really adore ping pong, back-and-forth, up-and-down rhythm of the main riff, which is dominated by Jones.  In Japan this was mistakenly placed on the B-side of the Immigrant Song single, rather than Hey Hey What Can I Do. Those copies are now rare collector's items.  This intro was frequently used as an introduction to live performances of Black Dog.

With Gallows Pole, Page brings out all the axes here... 12-string, 6-string, banjo, and electric.  You can feel the protagonist's desparation during the buildup, then the outright fear and panic during climactic conclusion as the hangman shows no quarter (ooooh... nugget!).  Page would create the foundation of the song pretty much spontaneously when he started experimenting with Jones' mandolin, an instrument he had never before played.

Page had been playing a version of Tangerine all the way back in his Yardbirds days, but never got it to the point of recording.  Now, combined with the vocal melodies from Plant, it breathed new life into the track.  Page added a pedal-steel guitar accompaniment having not included anything of the sort before.  Structurally, some thought that it points the way to the future ... the acoustic guitar intro can easily be seen as an early template for 'Stairway to Heaven'".

That's the Way is one of my all time favorite Zeppelin songs.  The simple nature, charming and heart-warming lyrics pontificating childhood innocence (though some lyrics reflect the band's treatment during their early American tours), and enveloping guitar tone all come beautifully together.

Plant's dog, Strider (reportedly named after Aragorn from LOTR), who refuses to do anything, is some of the message behind Bron-Y-Aur Stomp - the song's title having been misspelled on the album cover during initial printing.  Bonham adds castanets and spoons to the recording, giving it a feel like no other song in the Zeppelin catalog.  I remember a friend once referring to it as "Country-Zeppelin".  Seems about right.

What do I love about Hats of to (Roy) Harper?  Pretty much nothing.  There are two songs in the Zeppelin catalog that I actively dislike, this being one of them.  As I mentioned, had it been replaced with the B-side from Immigrant Song (Hey Hey, What Can I Do), this would be my number 1 Zeppelin album.  But I sadly have nothing good to say about this song.  Page's slide work, and Plant's echo-y vocals just aren't a good combination in my opinion.  And this year's remaster made it even more difficult to listen to - with Page burrowing exclusively into my left ear, and Plant's hollow vocals echoing in my right.

Jingle.boy ranking:
That's The Way
Gallow's Pole
Immigrant Song
Out On The Tiles
Bron-Y-Aur Stomp
Friends
Celebration Day
Tangerine
Hats of to (Roy) Harper (A VERY distant 10th)

Offline Anguyen92

I love Gallows Pole especially the instrumental parts when Plant said "Hangman" in the middle of it.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'm at the Umphrey's McGee show right now and they just tore up a cover version of "The Song Remains The Same". Unreal!!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 02:42:25 PM by kingshmegland »

Offline Lowdz

I'd forgotten that I actually have almost a 3rd LZ album - the Unledded thing they did in the 90s, so I knew some of these songs. IS obviously is classic. I remember seeing an internet video with Viking cats in it that was funny, but its a great riff. So great they play it all the way through the song, but yeah, great song.
Friends was on the unplugged album and I like the vibe. I do like Eastern sounding music (the Blackmore influence) so that helps.
Cd was ok, nothing special.
SIBLY is a great bit of blues - great playing.
OOTT is ok too. Decent rock song. Getting a bit Planted-out now though...
GP I loved from the No Quarter album with the extra eastern-isms. Ok here but not as cool as the NQ version for me. A bit too much banjo...
Tangerine- worst song so far. Not a fan.
TTW - pretty average.
B-Y-AS - ok sat around a campfire with a few friends but not for me.
HOTR - I've had enough now. A mate of mine at school wasa big Led Zep fan and had a Roy Harper album. It was shit.

So, started off pretty good but faded off badly.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
 :corn
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Let's get to IV already. That's when I really start getting into Zep.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Touring update tomorrow morning. Untitled in a couple of days.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Their initial month-long tour in support of Led Zeppelin III saw them in the UK, performing at the smaller clubs that they had originally played earlier in their career - rewarding fans who had been loyal to them from the very start. These shows (and resulting smaller gate receipts), were proof that Led Zeppelin wasn't preoccupied with making money but rather in a connection with their audiences when performing on-stage. On the flipside, they ultimately would have to mitigate this desire with larger shows, as thousands of fans who wished to see the band were shut out because of the scarce availability of concert tickets. It would actually be on this tour - in Belfast - that they would debut what would become Stairway to Heaven, which would be played on nearly every subsequent concert for the rest of their career.  This show gave the world the debut of Page's famous double-neck guitar... custom built for him by Gibson.  It was also at this point in their career that they were a big enough act, the truly could do whatever they wanted, and began to experiment with their look on stage attire dressing in some very exotic styles.

Their second tour that year (in mainland Europe) is probably most noted for an extremely violent crowd disturbance during their planned show in Milan. This festival appearance in front of an audience of 15,000 people was abandoned when hundreds of tear-gas wielding riot police charged into the crowd. The group were forced to leave the stage escaping down an access route as the riot gear pumped canisters at the band as they ran. Plant recalls "We managed to get in a dressing room and I barricaded the door with the medicine cabinet and got everybody to put wet towels around their heads. Then they broke the windows and popped a couple of canisters in from the street."  Unsurprisingly, this was one of the low points of Led Zeppelin's career, and the band never again returned to Italy.

Their US tour was intended to be in support of their next release (IV), but various delays prevented the album from dropping before the tour.  They did play more than a few of the songs from the upcoming album, which invariably had something to do with it's success. It had been almost a year since they'd toured in the US (how rude!), so fans were rabid for their shows. 

Because of the negative reception from the press around Zeppelin III, Bonham often tossed unfavorable music reviewers out of the backstage area - aggressively and unceremoniously.  Along with continued stories (whether true, embellished or outright fabricated) of bestiality, gang bangs and (once with intentions once of stuffing a pair of ugly groupies with cream filled doughnuts; girls immersed in tubs of warm baked beans), Page's skill with whips, their reputation as one of the most hedonistic and indulgent of all rock bands would continue to follow them.  That reputation was enhanced by Bonham's boozing, and resulting violence - usually directed towards the hotel - they were banned (sometimes with a 'lifetime' ban) from more than one establishment - including the Tokyo Hilton, resulting from some "play" from Bonham and Cole with some samurai swords.  On that tour of Japan, supposedly he and Plant got into it, over 70 pounds that Plant owed Bonzo for gas money.  That tour featured the only known live performance of Friends by Led Zeppelin in September in Osaka.  If listened to closely, Page can be heard asking Plant if he wanted to perform the song when John Bonham had returned from unknown activities backstage.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
*snip*
So, started off pretty good but faded off badly.

Paul... I'm not at all surprised on your summation, given your tastes.  Good on ya for sticking through the entire album.  :tup  We'll get to the UnLedded album in due time.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: The Led Zeppelin Discography Discussion: v. They were our overlords
« Reply #306 on: August 10, 2014, 05:02:37 AM »
Bestiality?

Come on.  That sheep was asking for it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #307 on: August 10, 2014, 05:06:47 AM »
It was a Great Dane actually.  And octupi.

*shivers*

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #308 on: August 10, 2014, 08:03:07 AM »
I have that Osaka boot, and that's a pretty fun show, with a gigantic medley in Whole Lotta Love, topping out at 31 minutes. One of my favorite Zep shows.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #309 on: August 10, 2014, 03:00:33 PM »
It was a Great Dane actually.  And octupi.

*shivers*
Yeah, I read about those.

And the red snapper/mud shark story.

Holy crap.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #310 on: August 10, 2014, 05:02:28 PM »
Wait, why did the riot police came during that Milan show?  Sound being too loud for the police's standards?

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #311 on: August 10, 2014, 06:02:36 PM »
Not exactly.  There were a host of contributing factors.  First, it was a festival, and a lot of relatively unknown local acts were playing support, but the fans were really there to see Zeppelin.  Second, some fans (gangs and 'hooligans') tried to get in without paying.  Third, a festival with headliner like Zeppelin provided a great forum for political agitators.  Lastly, in preparation for all of that, the promoter had a lot of militia (2000) already in force to provide security.  All those ingredients provided a great recipe for chaos, and unsurprisingly, chaos ensued.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #312 on: August 11, 2014, 02:37:30 AM »
Italy in the 70s was something of a hotbed of socialism/communism and political unrest. There were lots of problems in the country at that time.

And it's octopodes - the word comes from the Greek, not Latin. And this gives a whole new meaning to "Jumping the Shark..."

"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #313 on: August 11, 2014, 08:11:35 AM »
hey, it is shark week, after all.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #314 on: August 11, 2014, 08:33:06 AM »
Damn right.