Author Topic: How much have you changed since you joined the forum?  (Read 9075 times)

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
How much have you changed since you joined the forum?
« on: July 16, 2014, 09:20:13 PM »
Well, how much? When I first joined, I felt like a fucking tool. I was constantly making certain song appreciation threads in the DT side, and I was just posting too much, I think. I've calmed down a lot, and while I still post a good bit, I am a little more reserved than I used to be. When I joined I was almost 16, and now I'm 19, so I guess I've matured some.

I like present me much better than past me. :angel:

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
Re: How much have you changed since you joined the forum?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 09:24:53 PM »
I've changed drastically, but then again I've been here for quite a while. Although that's mainly in the last few years, I've changed quite a bit I think. In other ways, I haven't changed at all and probably never will.  :angel:

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 09:25:34 PM »
When I joined I was a freshman in college (almost 14 years ago).  I've never been much of an active poster on the forums, so on that end I haven't changed much.  I really only post when I feel I have something to add.

In life though, a lot changes in 14 years  :lol
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 09:26:22 PM »
A lot, considering it's been well over 10 years. I was a semi-retarded postwhore when I started.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 09:28:38 PM »
Very little.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 09:29:13 PM »
When I go back and look at my first posts on here, I cringe a little.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 09:32:40 PM »
I think I got a thicker skin, but I've always kept my annoying asshole persona consistent.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 09:33:43 PM »
Other than being a junkie for this place, not much.  Been here about 9 years now.  My kids are older, I'm still bald, and I've got a handful of DTF meetups under my belt.  I can't stand the DT-side noobs sometimes.  I just wait until time weeds some of them out, and the ones that eventually migrate to GD and stick around (yourself, Mora, Scrop come to mind), I'm cool with them once they realize DTF is about more than just DT.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 09:36:28 PM »
I can barely read the DT side myself most of the time, I usually have to skip certain threads or posts altogether. :lol But that's not exactly new behaviour, I've been doing that since day one.

As for how much I have changed since joining this forum, not that much I don't think. I haven't really been here that long.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 09:54:00 PM »
Switched from two manly but diseased kidneys to one girly and healthy one. Other than that I haven't changed at all. I'm old. I'm done changing. I'll leave that to the young people who still haven't figured out who the fuck they are yet.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Sir Walrus Cauliflower

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 10:11:18 PM »
In all 2 months I've been here (had an account, that is), I don't think I've changed very much at all. I shed my musically aggressive/pretentious 13-year-old skin a good two years ago when I quit Yahoo Answers' Rock & Pop section (God, it was idiotic). That is certainly a positive thing for the users of this forum. When I joined I started trying to be more understanding and respective towards other opinions, and I also stopped getting involved in so many arguments. I occasionally find myself getting off topic in threads, but I do my best to avoid it. This is one of the most welcoming and friendly communities I've ever seen on the internet.

This forum has definitely been helpful in expanding my musical taste. I've found so many bands I enjoy, and so many DVD/Bootlegs/Demos/EPs I would have never known about from the bands I already enjoyed. I've been introduced to Haken, Frameshift, Pain Of Salvation, Sonata Arctica, Cynic, PT, Steven Wilson, Blackfield, Spock's Beard, Beardfish, and a ton of others as a result of DTF.
I feel strangely honored to be following up a post from Sir Walrus Cauliflower.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2014, 10:16:16 PM »
Now if someone asks if I'm DTF I say "yeah, I'd love to go on the Dream Theater Forums with you". I get some weird looks for that.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2014, 10:16:54 PM »
Now if someone asks if I'm DTF I say "yeah, I'd love to go on the Dream Theater Forums with you". I get some weird looks for that.

:lol

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2014, 10:19:20 PM »
Fuck. Since 2005? A lot.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2014, 10:33:10 PM »
Well when I first joined I was a complete snob who almost exclusively listened to prog and hated 95% of what I listen to now. So a little bit I guess.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2014, 10:42:41 PM »
In four years, not much really. I'm more open to some kinds of music now, but I still mostly just lurk.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2014, 11:51:19 PM »
I'd say "not much" but that's not entirely true, especially given my post in the Lonely Hearts Club thread.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2014, 11:57:30 PM »
Well when I first joined I was a complete snob who almost exclusively listened to prog and hated 95% of what I listen to now. So a little bit I guess.

This pretty much. I was also very immature.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2014, 12:46:11 AM »
I was annoying as hell most likely. I joined a few days before BC&SL was released and a few people had been getting theirs early. I joined and was asking about tracking numbers and when other people's shipped. I was annoying. I think I progressed away from that.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2014, 01:01:52 AM »
I've aged considerably. I joined eons ago during the EZ Board days. There were member #s, and I was like #17 or something. My writing career was really amping up, and after a short while I didn't log in for more than a year, and had long forgotten passwords and the like; so I registered again.  :biggrin:
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2014, 01:05:31 AM »
I used to like music a lot more but a startling majority of the bands I liked in 2006 have become stale, changed for the worse, or disbanded. I'm still in a constant struggle to be as nice as I wish I really was and put on a decent humorous front to mask my many insecurities. I used to be a bit more annoyed by negative comments from others but I worked on that however I feel I'm not quite at my best in that regard over the last year or so. I also wanted to be widely accepted early on but now I'm more concerned with enjoying my interactions with those whom I've already befriended and letting newer forum friends naturally enter my world through natural interactions with me letting my balls hang in the breeze without pretense so to speak.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2014, 06:17:47 AM »
I can't stand the DT-side noobs sometimes.  I just wait until time weeds some of them out, and the ones that eventually migrate to GD and stick around (yourself, Mora, Scrop come to mind), I'm cool with them once they realize DTF is about more than just DT.
It would be way more tolerable if most of them spent some time lurking :lol

This forum has definitely been helpful in expanding my musical taste. I've found so many bands I enjoy, and so many DVD/Bootlegs/Demos/EPs I would have never known about from the bands I already enjoyed. I've been introduced to Haken, Frameshift, Pain Of Salvation, Sonata Arctica, Cynic, PT, Steven Wilson, Blackfield, Spock's Beard, Beardfish, and a ton of others as a result of DTF.
That's what DTF is for - burning a hole in your wallet and your hard drive.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2014, 07:03:58 AM »
Considering I was 18 when I joined, I'd say I've changed a shit ton. As I've gotten older, my posting has become less frequent, but I'm still here.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2014, 07:23:24 AM »
Well, I joined DT.net about 10 years ago, so that would make me a 15 year old, piece of shit teenager. I wish I could go back and look at a lot of my original posts, I'm sure there were some gems. Even if I look at posts from five years ago, I feel like they are written in a much less mature fashion. I look at posts from 10+ years ago on RC truck forums and they are laughable. I was such a douche.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2014, 07:27:26 AM »
I think even 14 years ago I was at least *trying* to not be a douche, but I'm sure I was an immature little prickboy much of the time. I probably still am, considering I don't really have any intentions of growing up.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2014, 07:44:11 AM »
My music library expanded.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2014, 07:45:03 AM »
I was 17 when I started here, 24 now. And y'all still forget my birthday.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2014, 08:18:09 AM »
I would say quite a bit. My opinions are not as strong willed and I am more tolerant of others opinions. I try to be more respectful in general.
In real life so much has happened in the past five years since I have been here and that has changed me as well. I don't take insignificant stuff to heart much anymore.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2014, 08:27:50 AM »
Okay, this is the oldest post I can find from my past. This was from August 2001.... It makes me cringe.

"I have a nitro stamede and it is a great truck. I want to upgrade it to the point were it is completly different from my friends. I have seen pics of stampedes with juggernut tires. how is this possible, do I just by juggernut tires or do i need all new axles and that stuff. Also I have burned through a gallon of gas in 6 days. y is this. my engine is just sucking gas like crazy how can I fix this.
One last question. If i USED 25% NITRO FUEL WOULD THAT MAKE A DIFFERENCE"

Looking back at the forum the post above came from... turns out my account "roadster" was banned about two months into my stay. I made a new account under the username "Dragster". Here is how I returned;
hey its me roadster, i dont kbnow why but traxxas shut off my activation so i couldn't post anything. anyway i have a question. I was just driving my n-pede and it ran out of gas, i went over and refilled it but it wouldn't start. I figured mabye its to hot out and its overheated, but no. Its been a month and I have brought it to my lhb and they couldn't find out what the problem is. anyone have any suggestions.

:rollin :rollin

I'm embarrassed to even post such noob behavior.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 08:38:10 AM by Chino »

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2014, 08:38:32 AM »
Okay, this is the oldest post I can find from my past. This was from August 2001.... It makes me cringe.

"I have a nitro stamede and it is a great truck. I want to upgrade it to the point were it is completly different from my friends. I have seen pics of stampedes with juggernut tires. how is this possible, do I just by juggernut tires or do i need all new axles and that stuff. Also I have burned through a gallon of gas in 6 days. y is this. my engine is just sucking gas like crazy how can I fix this.
Looking back at the forum the post above came from... turns out my account "roadster" was banned about two months into my stay. I made a new account under the username "Dragster". Here is how I returned;

hey its me roadster, i dont kbnow why but traxxas shut off my activation so i couldn't post anything. anyway i have a question. I was just driving my n-pede and it ran out of gas, i went over and refilled it but it wouldn't start. I figured mabye its to hot out and its overheated, but no. Its been a month and I have brought it to my lhb and they couldn't find out what the problem is. anyone have any suggestions.

2001? Really? Where did you post that in 2001?
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2014, 08:42:55 AM »
I joined about 2000-ish - the forum had the 6DOIT theme at the time. I'd like to say I haven't changed at all, but thinking about it, I probably have. I've changed jobs twice, I got a mortgage and bought my own place, and I'm certainly older, balder and more cynical. My Dad passed away, and Mom retired and moved away from the area, so I don't really see her all that often anymore. I've got into different music as a result of this forum, and I certainly go see more bands live than I used to.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2014, 08:45:40 AM »
Other than getting unceremoniously dumped by one lady and falling head over heels in love with another, I can't say I've changed much since I joined here the day On The Backs Of Angels was released.

Mind you those are pretty big friggin' changes  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2014, 08:48:34 AM »
*snip*
2001? Really? Where did you post that in 2001?
[/quote]

An RC message board

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2014, 09:06:54 AM »

I'm not sure why, but the best part was "y is this." 

I just picture reading something like that on Yahoo Answers :lol

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2014, 09:07:53 AM »
I apparently didn't know what a question mark was when I was 12.