Author Topic: Are "prog" fans generally more open minded people?  (Read 24730 times)

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Re: Are "prog" fans generally more open minded people?
« Reply #385 on: December 28, 2014, 09:37:56 AM »
This thread reminded me of this comic:

It just seemed relevant.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #386 on: December 28, 2014, 10:05:08 AM »
lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline 425

« Reply #387 on: December 28, 2014, 10:20:12 AM »
"You mean this has been around for more than nine months? Why would you listen to it then?"

I find this one particularly funny and perplexing. Personally even after I move on from something I like to be able to come back and enjoy it to an extent later on. While I understand listening to chart pop, I don't really understand throwing away entirely a song you loved last year just because it's last year's song.

It's always interesting when you spot yourself being close-minded though. I'm really in folk / singer songwriter mode at the moment, and thus the universe has been pointing me in the direction of Ed Sheeran, but I haven't even brought myself to put on a youtube video, which would take less time than typing this message, because he looks like a knob, and there's a part of me that figures any artist that's that popular just HAS to be bad (and this coming from a guy who loves Coldplay). So there's simultaneously a part of me thinking, "you're a dick, you know that?"

I have that sometimes, too. It also sometimes bothers me when a lot of people like a song that I like, and I have to talk myself out of that ("people like it because it's good, which is the same reason that you like it, so please stop being an idiot").

Also, high five for loving Coldplay.

The best use of "I listen to everything" always comes from someone listening to Prog AND Metal, or 90% prog with a few bands like Muse thrown into the mix. I do agree the statement as a whole is often far from the truth. I used to throw it around a couple of years ago and it wasn't very true at all, but these days I can say things like "I listen to a little bit but I always make sure to point out that it isn't everything. As many different music styles I listen to, there are still a few genres like Opera for example, that I just don't have much of an interest in.

I'll admit to having been guilty of that in the past as well, because it's such an easy and brief explanation to give. I'm trying to use something more like "a number of different things" and if I'm asked to specify, I clarify that much of my music library is prog.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #388 on: December 28, 2014, 07:03:09 PM »
It's always interesting when you spot yourself being close-minded though. I'm really in folk / singer songwriter mode at the moment, and thus the universe has been pointing me in the direction of Ed Sheeran, but I haven't even brought myself to put on a youtube video, which would take less time than typing this message, because he looks like a knob, and there's a part of me that figures any artist that's that popular just HAS to be bad (and this coming from a guy who loves Coldplay). So there's simultaneously a part of me thinking, "you're a dick, you know that?"

I have that sometimes, too. It also sometimes bothers me when a lot of people like a song that I like, and I have to talk myself out of that ("people like it because it's good, which is the same reason that you like it, so please stop being an idiot").
It happens me a lot when a popular/viral song is actually good (IMO). I'm like, "this is cool, but it's also quite popular - you don't like that kind of stuff or at least don't expect good things from it. But it's good dude... fuck my biases."

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #389 on: December 28, 2014, 10:45:33 PM »
I get really excited when something I like prior becomes popular.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #390 on: December 29, 2014, 02:19:13 AM »
I wouldn't say I'm ever surprised when something popular is good, but I am sometimes pleasantly surprised when something popular is very unusual or experimental. I found this particularly with Alt-J's second album.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.