Author Topic: New Allen/Lande!!!  (Read 10870 times)

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Re: New Allen/Lande!!!
« Reply #105 on: October 20, 2014, 09:38:08 AM »
Most reviewers with bigger connections tend to overrate stuff because they want to continue to get free promos, which is why I tend to be wary of most reviews, and why I tend to be more critical because I want to be seen as a straight shooter and not a shill.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #106 on: October 20, 2014, 10:43:31 AM »
Most reviewers with bigger connections tend to overrate stuff because they want to continue to get free promos, which is why I tend to be wary of most reviews, and why I tend to be more critical because I want to be seen as a straight shooter and not a shill.

Well, I totally agree with your point, yet overrate stuff a bit is one thing, and that Metal Temple review is frankly ridiculous.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #107 on: October 20, 2014, 02:08:51 PM »
Wolfking:
I'm a big fan of Tolkki, but by his own high standards, whether it be his illness or medication side effects, his output of the
last few years has been nowhere near that of his previous best.
The Stratovarius album from 2005 was a complete disaster, style wise and all the shit that was flying around with it.
He did redeem himself with the Revolution Renaissance album, even the demo with Kotipleto singing (which are around, or were) sound amazing
and would have made a classic Strato album.

Maybe he's out of ideas, I don't know but his recent output has been poor, I've heard a couple of Avalon songs, and it wasn't good.
Maybe it's Frontiers? Could they be restricting his talents with low budgets?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: October 20, 2014, 03:21:39 PM »
Wolfking:
I'm a big fan of Tolkki, but by his own high standards, whether it be his illness or medication side effects, his output of the
last few years has been nowhere near that of his previous best.
The Stratovarius album from 2005 was a complete disaster, style wise and all the shit that was flying around with it.
He did redeem himself with the Revolution Renaissance album, even the demo with Kotipleto singing (which are around, or were) sound amazing
and would have made a classic Strato album.

Maybe he's out of ideas, I don't know but his recent output has been poor, I've heard a couple of Avalon songs, and it wasn't good.
Maybe it's Frontiers? Could they be restricting his talents with low budgets?

Hey man, I do agree with you, what he's done lately is just rubbish, but as I said, I liked the self titled quite a lot.  I can see why others hated it, but it has a certain charm IMO and most of the songs are solid.

The first RR was fabulous and an album I always enjoy listening too, but the next two RR albums are shit.  It's definitely not Frontiers fault, it's just Tolkki who can't write a decent and original song anymore.

I'll still buy it tommorow, but it sounds like it will be a listen then shelf it

I'd listen first jj. Buying it only encourages them to use him again  :)

Exactly why I am not purchasing the album.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #109 on: October 20, 2014, 10:20:27 PM »
The Allen/Lande Facebook page asked for peoples' opinions on the new album, and while there are a few naysayers, it's otherwise overwhelmingly positive. :\

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: October 20, 2014, 10:33:57 PM »
I just read the Facebook and i'd say there's at least as many against it.  Some pretty funny comments , but mostly just rehasing our DTF material  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: October 21, 2014, 05:07:54 AM »
Yeah, the opinions seem pretty split down the middle.  One guy though says it's best Allen/Lande album?  Bloody hell!?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: October 23, 2014, 06:21:34 AM »
I'm listening now and am up to Dream About Tomorrow, which the rhythm is pretty much an exact copy of RR's We Are Magic.

I know I'm biased against this, but this is a piece of shit.  Every song is unoriginal, exactly the same and so damn simplistic.  The music for Down From the Mountain and In the Hands of Time are the damn fucking same.  Solid Ground was painful and so damn boring.  The best song so far is in fact Edge of Thorns.  And funnily enough the only one that doesn't sound like the others.  Man, Savatage are a great band lol.

As I type I'm listening to Hymn to the Fallen which is actually a bit better and actually has not a bad vibe and atmosphere to it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: October 23, 2014, 06:38:54 AM »
Not much to report for the last few tracks.  So damn disappointing.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #114 on: October 23, 2014, 02:20:25 PM »
Yeah, the opinions seem pretty split down the middle.  One guy though says it's best Allen/Lande album?  Bloody hell!?
He must have bought it and he's trying to convince himself he hasn't just wasted some beer money  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: October 23, 2014, 03:22:57 PM »
He must have bought it and he's trying to convince himself he hasn't just wasted some beer money  :lol

True that. 

Seriously, compared to the first three masterpieces, this album is just a joke and does not stand up to any of then in any way.  The Showdown was by far the weakest of the three and even that is a work of art compared to this junk.  I'd still say the best song on the album by far is Edge of Thorns.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: October 30, 2014, 01:01:16 PM »
I can just review this one with one word- "meh".

Its average/ok, but not terrible.  Clearly the worst of the four.

Edge of Thorns is a great song though.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: October 30, 2014, 03:57:16 PM »

Probably the only song worth replaying.

I wouldn't say it's terrible either, but compared to the first 3, it's an abomination.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #118 on: October 31, 2014, 11:21:36 AM »

Exactly how I felt. Not thought to try it again anyway.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: October 31, 2014, 04:02:24 PM »

Exactly how I felt. Not thought to try it again anyway.

Yeah, I still have no urge to listen to it again at all.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #120 on: November 12, 2014, 01:45:03 PM »
So, I went through my "Watch Later" list on YouTube that's been accumulating for a couple of months, and one of the new Allen/Lande tracks came on before I realized what was happening.  Fuck my ears!  It was about as dry as a popcorn fart.  I had to do an immediate cleanse by listening to the entire original trilogy.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #121 on: November 12, 2014, 01:48:55 PM »
Damn, I forgot this existed. Thanks assholes.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: November 14, 2014, 04:51:44 AM »
It really is that bad.  I decided to have a second listen in the car a few weeks ago and ended up skipping through most of it.  Most unoriginal, repetivitve, boring pile of shit I've heard for a while.

I hope Frontiers learn from their mistakes here.  The weakest track on any of the first 3 (not that there really is anything weak) is better quality than this entire album.

Also, why the fuck is the title track a Jorn only song?  The duets of the Battle, then the Revenge and then the Showdown was such a cool little concept connecting the albums and then Tolkki of course shits all over it.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: November 14, 2014, 04:59:36 AM »
Also, why the fuck is the title track a Jorn only song?  The duets of the Battle, then the Revenge and then the Showdown was such a cool little concept connecting the albums and then Tolkki of course shits all over it.

Because it's a 'great divide'.  I'm starting to see another meaning in here.... the quality between MK's albums, and TT's is also a 'great divide'.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: November 14, 2014, 05:06:34 AM »

Because it's a 'great divide'.  I'm starting to see another meaning in here.... the quality between MK's albums, and TT's is also a 'great divide'.

This is correct, yet still a massive understatement.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: November 14, 2014, 05:26:44 AM »

Like the divide between Earth and the end of the universe.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: November 14, 2014, 06:08:47 AM »

Like the divide between Earth and the end of the universe.

Keep going.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: August 30, 2018, 12:10:16 PM »
Not sure if this is the 'official' Allen/Lande thread. It's not listed in the stickied Index of Artists thread. Anyway, gave them a listen based off of seeing them ranked fairly high on jingle.boy's artist listings. Been liking what I am hearing so far. Been listening to lots of great new (to me) stuff lately, based on dtf.org recommendations and my roulette, but Allen/Lande is standing out for some reason. The material seems less same-y, for lack of a better word, compared to the other bands, which, while all great, don't do anything to really set them apart for me.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: August 30, 2018, 12:12:24 PM »
Fuck, I saw this thread resurrected and thought maybe there's a new Tolkki-less Allen/Lande in the works.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #129 on: August 30, 2018, 12:15:45 PM »
Fuck, I saw this thread resurrected and thought maybe there's a new Tolkki-less Allen/Lande in the works.

this makes me and not because of your post but because of how far the mighty Tolkki has fallen

From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: August 30, 2018, 01:56:59 PM »
Ha! Sorry about that, I hate it when something like that happens to me. I am just late to this party and wanted to chime and say this is great stuff I am hearing.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: August 30, 2018, 04:39:12 PM »
@ Ruslan... my exact thoughts too.  At first I was :caffeine:, then I was like  :|

Ha! Sorry about that, I hate it when something like that happens to me. I am just late to this party and wanted to chime and say this is great stuff I am hearing.

Stick to the first three albums - all written by Magnus Karlsson. If you like Allen/Lande, you'll probably like any/everything written by Magnus, and the lot of us here can make plenty of recommendations.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: August 30, 2018, 05:35:31 PM »
I recall someone sent in a Magnus song to my roulette that scored well, so he is on my radar. Then I go to Wiki him, I see his discography lists 17 bands/projects, 3 of which have more than 2 releases, and Mike Portnoy says "Dude, I think you are involved in to many projects."

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: August 30, 2018, 06:50:25 PM »
I recall someone sent in a Magnus song to my roulette that scored well, so he is on my radar. Then I go to Wiki him, I see his discography lists 17 bands/projects, 3 of which have more than 2 releases, and Mike Portnoy says "Dude, I think you are involved in to many projects."

You're welcome.  Not My Saviour is a go-to roulette submission of mine.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #134 on: August 30, 2018, 07:36:02 PM »

:lol :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: August 31, 2018, 06:33:30 AM »

Fucking this.   :'(

First two are classic.  Third one is very good too.  Fourth one is crap and shouldn't have the Allen/Lande name on it.

First two are Magnus at his peak.