Author Topic: Seinfeld is 25 years old!  (Read 21572 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Seinfeld is 25 years old!
« Reply #140 on: September 04, 2014, 10:21:13 AM »
On Nov. 16, the Bakersfield Condors, an Edmonton Oilers affiliate in the ECHL, will don "puffy shirt" jerseys, in reference to one of "Seinfeld's" many famous episodes and to celebrate the show's 25th anniversary.

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #141 on: September 04, 2014, 11:15:15 AM »
I can never get enough of this show.  I don't watch alot of television, but when I turn it on I am mainly looking to see if Seinfeld is on somewhere.  If not, then I put in my Seinfeld DVD.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #142 on: September 04, 2014, 11:26:22 AM »
So true.  I hadn't watched in a while until recently again.  I have the DVDs, but it's so easy to just DVR them since they are on TBS every day, and 20 minutes of Seinfeld hilarity is always a great way to end a day. :hefdaddy

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #143 on: September 04, 2014, 01:12:06 PM »
End the day, start the day, middle of the day. I always make time lol

"I'm an Eggplant!"

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #144 on: September 05, 2014, 02:20:30 AM »
Over here they show two episodes per day, (during weekdays) and it's late and usually around the time I go for sleep. So most of my days end with 2 episodes of Seinfeld. It's a great way to end a day.  ;)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #145 on: November 01, 2014, 10:22:49 AM »
No posts in almost two months?

That is ridicurous.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #146 on: November 01, 2014, 03:10:53 PM »
I still watch this show almost on a daily basis, five times a week. Such a great show, and maybe even my all time favorite sitcom by now. I saw someone on another forum point out some of the bad acting by Jerry Seinfeld in some episodes, but in my opinion those poorly acted scenes are almost more comical as a result. When Jerry gets all over the top and his voice goes up, and you can kinda tell he is close to breaking out laughing himself, and it adds a layer of comedy to the already funny scene.  :lol

Offline PetFish

« Reply #147 on: November 01, 2014, 05:38:49 PM »
Did you say "ridicurous"?

Jerry Seinfeld didn't need to be an "actor", he was playing himself.  Whenever he "acted" it was part of the joke which is why it worked so well.  My best example is when George is in the hospital and he says to Jerry "Kill me.  Kill me now."  So Jerry grabs a pillow and says "What, you mean like this?" and PRETENDS to suffocate him with it with a demonic look on his face and then Elaine comes in and sees this and says "JERRY!" and Jerry says, very intentionally suspicious and with shifty eyes, "Elaine... what are YOU doing here?"

That's why I love Jerry's "acting" so much, cuz it was intentionally "bad" to make the joke work cuz that's how he rolls in real life.  I find myself using many of his mannerisms in my life as well, like if someone takes the candy from the break room and asks I'll be all shifty and "Oh, uh, candy?  I... don't know what you're talking about" all while rolling my eyes and acting shady even though I didn't take the candy.

Jerry Seinfeld is an awesome "actor".

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #148 on: November 01, 2014, 05:42:04 PM »
" No Soup For You ! "

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #149 on: November 03, 2014, 05:57:44 PM »
I literally never saw this show until three or four years ago. I'd say it must have been on regular NZ TV when I was growing up, but if it was, I don't remember it at all, and I've never heard another NZer mention it, so I get the feeling it just fell flat there or something. Unlike Friends and The Simpsons, it's never played in reruns either. Anyway, I was at home for a while and NZ cable suddenly included Comedy Central, so I watched the odd episode, and could tell it was incredible.

I'm watching it all the way through now. Im upto the Cafe (S3 E7)

My favourites so far are The Pony Remark, The Jacket, The Revenge, The Chinese Restaurant and The Cafe.

I didn't think The Pen was THAT good. And whereas the Chinese Restaurant works really well and breezes by, The Parking Garage felt stretched and a bit tedious.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 06:04:56 PM by Fluffy Lothario »

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #150 on: November 04, 2014, 08:46:59 AM »
The subject of a recent reddit thread was "What would be a 'Seinfeld' situation in a post apocalyptic world?"

The best response I saw:

Jerry: What do you mean you've got a bomb shelter?
Kramer: Yeah, me and Bob Sackimano, we put one down in Long Island in 1989 after the fall of the Berlin Wall.
Jerry: You're telling me you bought a bomb shelter after the Cold War was over?
Kramer: Of course! They were practically giving them away, Jerry!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #151 on: November 04, 2014, 09:03:38 AM »
The subject of a recent reddit thread was "What would be a 'Seinfeld' situation in a post apocalyptic world?"

The best response I saw:

Jerry: What do you mean you've got a bomb shelter?
Kramer: Yeah, me and Bob Sackimano, we put one down in Long Island in 1989 after the fall of the Berlin Wall.
Jerry: You're telling me you bought a bomb shelter after the Cold War was over?
Kramer: Of course! They were practically giving them away, Jerry!

I actually just played that scene in my head and it would totally work.  :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #152 on: November 04, 2014, 12:00:22 PM »
Did you say "ridicurous"?

Ridiculous.  :biggrin:

Jerry Seinfeld didn't need to be an "actor", he was playing himself.  Whenever he "acted" it was part of the joke which is why it worked so well.  My best example is when George is in the hospital and he says to Jerry "Kill me.  Kill me now."  So Jerry grabs a pillow and says "What, you mean like this?" and PRETENDS to suffocate him with it with a demonic look on his face and then Elaine comes in and sees this and says "JERRY!" and Jerry says, very intentionally suspicious and with shifty eyes, "Elaine... what are YOU doing here?"

That's why I love Jerry's "acting" so much, cuz it was intentionally "bad" to make the joke work cuz that's how he rolls in real life.  I find myself using many of his mannerisms in my life as well, like if someone takes the candy from the break room and asks I'll be all shifty and "Oh, uh, candy?  I... don't know what you're talking about" all while rolling my eyes and acting shady even though I didn't take the candy.

Jerry Seinfeld is an awesome "actor".

Agreed.  A friend who loves the show used to say that Seinfeld's "bad acting" was somewhat of a distraction, but I always told him that he is playing himself, not acting, and he is just naturally funny. 

As for using quotes of his in real life, I often use his sarcastic "no."

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #153 on: November 04, 2014, 12:25:15 PM »
"I've driven women to lesbianism before, but never a mental institution"  :lol

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #154 on: November 04, 2014, 12:37:52 PM »
25? Damn, he looks at least 60.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: November 04, 2014, 02:52:46 PM »
Ah... watched The Hot Tub last night.

"This son-of-a-bitch is Ice Cold!
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #156 on: November 04, 2014, 06:24:43 PM »
Peterman is so great. Just watched the episode where Peterman has dinner with George, and then George gets to follow Peterman home to his dying mother.  :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: November 04, 2014, 07:58:29 PM »
Peterman is so great. Just watched the episode where Peterman has dinner with George, and then George gets to follow Peterman home to his dying mother.  :lol

Bosco!!

I love the scene in this episode when Kramer tries to narrow down the possibilities of George's bank card code

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #158 on: November 04, 2014, 09:48:29 PM »
Ah... watched The Hot Tub last night.

"This son-of-a-bitch is Ice Cold!

"Aw, look at the cute little bastard.  You're mommy's little bastard, aren't you?"

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: November 06, 2014, 10:33:50 AM »
 ^ :lol

"What's wrong with you, you son-of-a-bitch, I'm just trying to be friendly?"
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline PetFish

« Reply #160 on: November 06, 2014, 04:08:01 PM »
You know what?

Yes, the were real, but they really weren't spectacular at all.  Very underwhelming, actually.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #161 on: November 07, 2014, 07:31:34 AM »
You know what?

Yes, the were real, but they really weren't spectacular at all.  Very underwhelming, actually.

No kidding... what movie was she in back in the early 90s where she was briefly topless on a balcony?  The were like a couple of fried eggs hanging from her chest.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #162 on: November 07, 2014, 12:38:37 PM »
Kramer's facial reactions when Mel Torme is singing at the end of The Jimmy is still one of the funniest things ever.  I can watch that 100 times and still laugh out loud every single time.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #163 on: November 07, 2014, 02:05:05 PM »
"That's the guy who took the bread outta Jimmy's mouth!"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #164 on: November 08, 2014, 07:34:29 AM »
George likes spicy chicken.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #165 on: November 08, 2014, 08:33:52 PM »
No show ever before and since has as many memes as Seinfeld.  You can pull one out of almost every single episode.

No soup for you!
Man-Hands
High-Talker
Low-Talker
Close-Talker
Serenity NOW!
The Move
Master of Your Domain
Hello, Newman

... and on and on.  It's so great.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: November 09, 2014, 05:31:57 PM »
For me, there will never ever be another show that I can watch over and over again like this one.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #167 on: November 22, 2014, 10:44:47 AM »
I forgot how brutal The Yada Yada is to watch in syndication.  It is longer than the normal "half hour" episode, so they have to cut out so much.  I remember when that one first aired, it was like 8:37 CT when it ended.  I think I remember them later talking about how it was caught in the middle, like there was too much great stuff to cut any out to make it the normal 22-23 minutes, but they didn't want to dilute it by adding filler to make it an hour long or 2-part episode.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #168 on: November 22, 2014, 03:40:36 PM »
Helloooooooooooo!
Vandelay Industries
*achoo*  You are sooooooo good looking!  (I use this one all the time)
This, That, and The Other
Shrinkage
The Human Fund
These pretzels are making me thirsty! - These pretzels are making ME thirsty. - These pretzels... ARE MAKING ME THIRSTY!
The Second Spitter Theory
George likes spicy chicken

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #169 on: January 06, 2015, 08:07:07 AM »
So I'm still slowly making my way through this show. Now in the latter half of Season 5.

I thought the Marine Biologist was good, but not THAT good. Maybe my expectations for it were too great because of the reputation it has. (Or there was something about it I didn't get?) I thought the one after it, The Pie, was a better episode.

Some of my favourites so far that weren't mentioned on the list at the start:
The Jacket
The Subway
The Red Dot
The Limo
The Pick
The Mango
The Cigar Store Indian

And The Letter, though not a top one, is worthy of mention just for this:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #170 on: January 06, 2015, 08:41:44 AM »
If forced to come up with a good reason why the '90s didn't completely suck, it would be Dream Theater.  If I had to come up with a second one, it would be Seinfeld.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #171 on: January 06, 2015, 09:13:41 AM »
I've seen most of the episodes 3-4 times, but would have a hard time to rank favorites. A few that comes to mind (I don't know any titles) would be:

*The one where George does the opposite of everything he normally does
*The one where George avoids his girlfriend so she can't break up with him
*The one where George pretends to be handicapped
*The one where Elaine meets a new gang who are polar-opposites to the group
*The one in the limo
*The Contest
*The Soup Nazi

There's many other great ones though, this is just at the top of my head

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #172 on: January 06, 2015, 10:45:51 AM »
I love the opposite episode.

Kenny Rodgers Chicken and Kramer worrying about his boys.  "Jerry, hold these for me will ya?!"   :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #173 on: January 06, 2015, 11:02:46 AM »
George's freak out at the movie theater when the guys are being loud and obnoxious is one of the best things ever. That's how we all feel and it's really annoying, and the way he stands up to them is something I think all of us would want to do, but few of us has the balls or guts to do it. (I know I don't)

In general, I think that's my favorite part of Seinfeld. They shine the light on really small things, sometimes even silly (like how to pronounce Demi Moore's name), but in most cases it just feels so legit. These silly discussions you have with your friends and the show just captures a very realistic essence of life. Some episodes are more out there, and sometimes it goes over the top, but for the most part the writing is just so strong.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #174 on: January 06, 2015, 11:12:08 AM »
George's freak out at the movie theater when the guys are being loud and obnoxious is one of the best things ever.

Yup.  I LOVE that scene.  :lol  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzxfivZF9Yk
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."