Author Topic: Mike Mangini and Portnoy--daisy picking and skipping through meadows?  (Read 23971 times)

Offline noahl

I understand that Mike Mangini and Portnoy have a friendship history. I know Mike Portnoy has to be jealous considering he misses being in Dream Theater (assumption--at least want's to be back in...) Anyways, do you think that they dislike each other the least bit - nonetheless Portnoy disliking Mangini? Mangini seemed to be assured that he would keep his position in DT, and that MP would never find his way back. MP found that pretty disrespectful and cocky. There whole friendship has to be ruined. Say what you all want, but I know DT will be back with MP in the future. They're going to have a reunion with Portnoy, and realize what they've been missing the whole time. No offense, but the new album was complete GARBAGE. (It's a matter of opinion.) The only song I like is the looking glass, because it's catchy--not the technicality. I hate the way Mangini's snare was tuned in DT 2013. I have all the respect for MM -- he's far better than Portnoy and that's a fact, but that's not his home...it's Portnoys'. The band isn't the same without him either. Back to the point, Mike Mangini and Mike Portnoy are both trying to get in the same position, but Mangini is only a drummer, not a writer or anything, so therefore, Portnoy scores there. Some of the best parts were written by Portnoy.

Here's a little article.
Metal Injection
Robert Pasbani
SOURCE : (https://www.metalinjection.net/latest-news/drama/dream-theater-frontman-doesnt-ever-see-mike-portnoy-rejoining-the-band)
"That possibility, I don't see it ever happening; it's not gonna happen," the singer replied. "Because, first and foremost, Mike Mangini is a full-fledged member of the band now, he's a phenomenal drummer and he's doing everything that we could possibly want as a drummer in a band. He's helping us realize exactly what we wanna do right now musically. And he will be our drummer until the day that we finish doing this, when we conclude. Mike Portnoy was a big part of our past, but I think that's where it's going to remain. He was a drummer from the past. And as far as presently and into the future, it will be Mike Mangini, and we all feel very strongly about that. He's an incredible drummer, he's an incredible asset to the band, and he is fulfilling out wildest dreams as far as what we're doing musically and what we're doing with each album. So that's the way it stands."

This made me lose respect for LaBrie.
You cannot just take a previous member of the band, who created it, who hired YOU PERSONALLY, and just treat him like absolute garbage. Me and LaBrie both know that Portnoy was the soul of the band, was the frontman, was the MAN! It's like he took away custody of his child. Dream Theater was Mike Portnoy's band, and you can tell, Mike Portnoy isn't happy without it. Had you seen him drum? He smiled, smirked, pointed at the audience, was joyful. Now go watch winery dogs, saw them live, wasn't even close to as happy.
One of my favorite lines : "...he's a phenomenal drummer and he's doing everything that we could possibly want as a drummer in a band." Well, LaBrie, how about you put in a little effort? Weren't you almost kicked out of the band for not participating in writing? Don't you dare just say that. Maybe for you, because you don't put in as much effort as the other guys, he's doing what you could possibly want, but what about JP, JM, and JR, they probably feel different.

" He was a drummer from the past. " Just like you should be a singer of the past? Sorry, you're DT's singer, and I love what you do, but no, he was not a drummer from the past. He's the heart of Dream Theater, and he pretends he doesn't care but he truly does. He care's about that band more than each and every one of the band members, and these projects like TWD are just rebounds to fill the whole of his 25 year old daughter.

I know I was going on different topics, but there are multiple parts to pay attention to and respond to. Have fun.

Well what do you guys think? These are my thoughts, and I'm sorry if you disagree, but please no disrespect. Thank you.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 09:16:49 PM by bosk1 »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Mike Mangini and Portnoy --The Fight that wont stop.
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 10:05:50 PM »
This thread is going to end well.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline noahl

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 10:10:59 PM »
I know it is, I enjoy controversy, it get's the true opinions out of fans, and brings the best out of them.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 10:17:41 PM »
Did you get kicked out of mp.com?
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 10:18:12 PM »
Considering the things Portnoy has said about James, I think JLB dealt with the whole thing very gracefully.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 10:20:17 PM »
 :facepalm:

So much fail in that original post.

JLB has handled this whole thing with 1,000 times more grace than Portnoy has.

Mike Portnoy never has been and never will be the heart of Dream Theater.

Dream Theater was never just Mike Portnoy's band.

Portnoy is not in the band anymore.  Get used to it.

Offline noahl

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 10:20:31 PM »
Considering the things Portnoy has said about James, I think JLB dealt with the whole thing very gracefully.
Portnoy feels left out. He want's to be that guy that is truly in the works. JLB must have said some pretty awful things that wasn't released to the press for Portnoy to act out that way.
Just imagine what it's like for him.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2014, 10:21:52 PM »
  JLB must have said some pretty awful things that wasn't released to the press for Portnoy to act out that way.

Not really.  Portnoy has taken shots at JLB in the press off and on since the turn of the century.

Offline noahl

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2014, 10:23:06 PM »
:facepalm:

So much fail in that original post.

JLB has handled this whole thing with 1,000 times more grace than Portnoy has.

Mike Portnoy never has been and never will be the heart of Dream Theater.

Dream Theater was never just Mike Portnoy's band.

Portnoy is not in the band anymore.  Get used to it.

I cannot get used to it. They wouldn't stay with him. He needed a break, and they would not support him. How could they just abandon a band mate like that? They're not telling us something, because bands don't fall apart like that. Please tell me what MP has said that's so bad about JLB.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2014, 10:24:38 PM »
Jesus, man, get a grip.  They did not abandon him; he left the band on his own!  You seriously cannot be this obtuse, so I am thinking this has to be trolling.

Offline noahl

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2014, 10:25:22 PM »
  JLB must have said some pretty awful things that wasn't released to the press for Portnoy to act out that way.

Not really.  Portnoy has taken shots at JLB in the press off and on since the turn of the century.
I do like your point of view, don't get me wrong, I value it.

I just feel that something isn't right here. Something's got to be pissing portnoy off like that.

Offline noahl

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2014, 10:28:09 PM »
Jesus, man, get a grip.  They did not abandon him; he left the band on his own!  You seriously cannot be this obtuse, so I am thinking this has to be trolling.

Please understand, they did not value Mike Portnoy enough to realize that he was doing it for the love, he was doing it because he was forced.

If they cannot support his decision, I feel that there was something going on.

They were going for 25 years, and they couldn't take a 1-2 year hiatus. Kev, You're being pretty disrespectful to my opinion.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2014, 10:29:42 PM »
Then get over that, too.

Oh, and :rollin :rollin

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2014, 10:30:10 PM »
holy crap

... I

I gotta get outta here

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2014, 10:32:01 PM »
MP tried to blackmail them into his personal hiatus, thinking his position was so strong that they would all submit. Probably most of the DT members were already fed up with his antics at that point, and let him run against the wall. His fault really, he was delusional about his importance in DT. The show is, and always has been, run by JP.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2014, 10:32:10 PM »
I liked the bit about the daughter  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline noahl

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2014, 10:33:38 PM »
MP tried to blackmail them into his personal hiatus, thinking his position was so strong that they would all submit. Probably most of the DT members were already fed up with his antics at that point, and let him run against the wall. His fault really.
Fair enough, I do believe part of him wanted to be in A7X, but he was kicked out...oops Portnoy.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2014, 10:34:08 PM »
MP tried to blackmail them into his personal hiatus, thinking his position was so strong that they would all submit. Probably most of the DT members were already fed up with his antics at that point, and let him run against the wall. His fault really.

Blackmail? Good god this forum can be melodramatic.
I'm convinced at this point that there's MP, and then there's DTF's invented chinese whispers version of MP.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2014, 10:35:03 PM »
Nobody kicked him out. He left because he had to after they called his bluff.

Offline noahl

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2014, 10:36:19 PM »
Nobody kicked him out. He left because he had to after they called his bluff.

I'm talking about A7X, he was let go...so they could get a new drummer which does the job, just right.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2014, 10:36:24 PM »

Blackmail? Good god this forum can be melodramatic.
I'm convinced at this point that there's MP, and then there's DTF's invented chinese whispers version of MP.

Blackmail might be too strong a word. Maybe "he tried to strongarm the rest of DT" is better.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2014, 10:38:18 PM »
I think a better way of putting it is, he was used to arguing enough to always get his way, that he figured, "I'll quit, they'll beg me to come back, and I'll get what I want," but when they called his bluff, he tried to backtrack and get back in the band, but it was too late. 

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2014, 10:38:45 PM »
Kev, You're being pretty disrespectful to my opinion.

I didn't think it was a rule that we have to respect every single opinion that every single person had.  You have a really romantic, unrealistic view of MP's role in all of this.  He's not a victim.  He quit the band and now he's no longer in it.  It is not disrespectful if JLB says in an interview that MP is no longer in Dream Theater because he's not.

Offline noahl

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2014, 10:39:59 PM »
Kev, You're being pretty disrespectful to my opinion.

I didn't think it was a rule that we have to respect every single opinion that every single person had.  You have a really romantic, unrealistic view of MP's role in all of this.  He's not a victim.  He quit the band and now he's no longer in it.  It is not disrespectful if JLB says in an interview that MP is no longer in Dream Theater because he's not.
I'll stop you right there.
I never said he had to, I was informing him that he was being rude.
Second of all,
I never said he was, you took that out of context.

Offline noahl

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2014, 10:43:12 PM »
Update:
It's ending pretty well.

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2014, 11:01:27 PM »
I know it is, I enjoy controversy, it get's the true opinions out of fans, and brings the best out of them.

Holy crap!! Someone else who enjoys actual debate!! We should be friends.

I would say I like how LaBrie handled that question. All the guys in DT answer that pretty much the same way, but with varying levels of assertion, and this was definitely very polarized and hard-hitting. It's nice that they are all so honest and audacious enough to say what is actually on their minds, and it gives us a great understanding of how each member feels. It seems JLB certainly feels the most certain about the situation.

And I don't know WHOSE concert you were at, but judging by the Transatlantic show this January, every freaking video on youtube (okay, minus one, but I watch a hell of a lot), and every day on Tweet Secret, I think Mike Portnoy is one of the happiest people I have ever seen. The split was great for everyone involved.

..Oh and about the thread- PERFECT discussion, and yea, how come it's okay to completely disrespect someone else's points only if their in the minority view? I guess rules really only do apply if the mods disagree with your view.. "No bashing" -my ass; "no disagreeing with Bosk and the majority of DTF" is where it's at. Here I am supporting a person's tactics who I thoroughly disagree with substantively, again.

Offline noahl

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2014, 11:09:20 PM »

Holy crap!! Someone else who enjoys actual debate!! We should be friends.

I would say I like how LaBrie handled that question. All the guys in DT answer that pretty much the same way, but with varying levels of assertion, and this was definitely very polarized and hard-hitting. It's nice that they are all so honest and audacious enough to say what is actually on their minds, and it gives us a great understanding of how each member feels. It seems JLB certainly feels the most certain about the situation.

And I don't know WHOSE concert you were at, but judging by the Transatlantic show this January, every freaking video on youtube (okay, minus one, but I watch a hell of a lot), and every day on Tweet Secret, I think Mike Portnoy is one of the happiest people I have ever seen. The split was great for everyone involved.

..Oh and about the thread- PERFECT discussion, and yea, how come it's okay to completely disrespect someone else's points only if their in the minority view? I guess rules really only do apply if the mods disagree with your view.. "No bashing" -my ass; "no disagreeing with Bosk and the majority of DTF" is where it's at. Here I am supporting a person's tactics who I thoroughly disagree with substantively, again.

Well as one of my first posts I learned most of the other DT fans hate debate, and hate other opinions if they're different then others :rollin rookie mistake..haha.

I do like it as well. Portnoy took it extremely offensive though. I know JP want's to play with MP again sometime.
I guess he just doesn't like Connecticut. At concerts for DT he was more into it.
I think that you're completely correct, and that I love you. I don't think anyone truly follows the rules at all, not even the mods. :lol

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2014, 11:12:02 PM »
Thread of the year. :corn

Offline noahl

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2014, 11:12:33 PM »

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2014, 11:20:14 PM »
I think a better way of putting it is, he was used to arguing enough to always get his way, that he figured, "I'll quit, they'll beg me to come back, and I'll get what I want," but when they called his bluff, he tried to backtrack and get back in the band, but it was too late.

This is now one of my all time favorite Dream Theater conspiracy theories.

I think when he quit he really meant it.  I suspect that he thought he could join AX7.  I think when he realized that wouldn't happen and what he was leaving by not being in DT, he tried to get it back.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2014, 11:22:10 PM »
 :metal :biggrin:
They are quite skilled at quoting those rules, though.  ;)

Well although I don't want MP back in Dream Theater, and I'd rather him do his 10 million projects, I still would LOVE for there to be a LTE3 or for MP to play on JP's solo album (Wasn't there talk about that?), or even for him to jump on stage with them for a song or two would be nice.

Offline noahl

« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2014, 11:23:43 PM »

I think when he quit he really meant it.  I suspect that he thought he could join AX7.  I think when he realized that wouldn't happen and what he was leaving by not being in DT, he tried to get it back.

Exactly my thought.
:metal :biggrin:
They are quite skilled at quoting those rules, though.  ;)

Well although I don't want MP back in Dream Theater, and I'd rather him do his 10 million projects, I still would LOVE for there to be a LTE3 or for MP to play on JP's solo album (Wasn't there talk about that?), or even for him to jump on stage with them for a song or two would be nice.

Yeah there is talk for that, and I bet it will happen.

And they are very skilled at it, there's no rule about talking crap about the mod's right? ;) :angel:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2014, 11:25:34 PM »

I think it's both.  I think he definitely wanted to be a permanent part of Avenged Sevenfold, but didn't want to lose DT in the process, so he tried his "I'll quit, and then they'll agree to the break" act, and it backfired on him.

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2014, 11:36:11 PM »

I think it's both.  I think he definitely wanted to be a permanent part of Avenged Sevenfold, but didn't want to lose DT in the process, so he tried his "I'll quit, and then they'll agree to the break" act, and it backfired on him.

I don't think so. I think he left genuinely and changed his mind later. More like what ReaPsTA is saying. He probably did think A7X would keep him for good, but I differ in my view in that I think that was only part of it, I think he would have wanted to do other things anyway. Portnoy just misjudged that the other guys would have agreed to take a break (clearly it turned out they really didn't want to), and then was also wrong to think that they would wait just for him if he wanted to do something else for an extended period of time, whatever that may be.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2014, 11:39:01 PM »
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing