Author Topic: The Goldbergs!!!  (Read 2293 times)

Offline PetFish

The Goldbergs!!!
« on: June 28, 2014, 04:51:20 PM »
I LOVE THIS SHOW!!!

It's the decade that defines me, I was 6-16 years old for it, and this show is just so perfect.  They've got all the little 80s references down but it's still about the family first, whereas "That 80s Show" was just stupid cuz it tried too hard.

- The mom is so lovingly evil it's sickeningly awesome.
- The older brother is kind of like Kramer, in that he believes wholeheartedly in everything he does, and is the real star of the show (either him or the mom).  The episode where he pulls out the full-page ad for the Reebok Pump almost made me pee myself.
- The daughter is like every 80s crush I had.
- The dad is solid.
- "Pops" is just "meh" for me but still funny.
- And the kid, who the show is based on, is totally me with the video camera.

The best part is during the credits they show some of the actual home movie footage the show you just watched is based on made by the creator, Adam Goldberg, when he was a kid.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: The Goldbergs!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 05:25:45 PM »
Watched an episode. Chuckled once or twice, but not really my thing. While I certainly remember the era, it's not really something I can relate to since I was hanging with a very different crowd. I do find the absence of a laugh track damned refreshing, though.

He should make the entire show out of the home videos. That'd be clever and amusing, as the real life Goldberg father sounds hysterical.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline dparrott

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 05:52:48 PM »
Love it.  I always love 80's stuff.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 08:24:25 PM »
I also find this show pretty damn funny most of the time. As a family friendly sitcom set in that era, it's refreshing and fun.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline PetFish

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 09:42:50 PM »
BIG TASTY IN THE HEEZY!

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 09:45:38 AM »
Hilarious sitcom! Love it! Every character is great!
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Mr. Ister

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 10:30:05 AM »
My wife watched this for a few weeks, but I could not stand the extreme overacting.  Wasn't a fan.
But if the dung comes out
He shits the death upon a man
Throw them a rag
Better to save the menstruate
Then surrender tuna sea crap
Whale!

Offline PetFish

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2014, 09:13:00 PM »
My wife watched this for a few weeks, but I could not stand the extreme overacting.  Wasn't a fan.

Every single character that's ever been on Seinfeld overacted to the absolute extreme.  Meh.  I love them both.

Online faizoff

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 10:13:46 PM »
Barry is my fav character. I also love Jeff Garlins role and that he has to take off his pants right at the door lol. I'm so glad the show got renewed it's me and my wife's guilty pleasure.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2014, 06:44:04 PM »
I had never heard of this show until now and I just watched the first episode. Love it.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2014, 06:13:59 AM »
I also find this show pretty damn funny most of the time. As a family friendly sitcom set in that era, it's refreshing and fun.

Bingo... jingle.family watches it together.  Great for the mrs and me to 're-live' that era, and the kids find it hilarious as well.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2018, 11:33:20 AM »
Just discovered this/gave this a chance via re-runs. Love the show. Bev and Barry are the stars, but every character also has their moments. Pop-Pop (not Pops) is my favorite side character so far, and I say so far, because I've probably only seen 10 episodes to date.

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2018, 10:45:48 PM »
I really liked this show when it first came on. A little goofy, but a fun watch. My HS years were 80-84, so I could relate to the themes. Then came Season 3 ep.21 "Rush". That was :metal :metal! Any Rush fan in high school at that time can understand how I felt watching that because we all pretty much lived it. I haven't missed an episode since.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFlpw69prTQ

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2018, 06:11:03 AM »
We've watched this show from the very beginning and it's one of our favorites.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2018, 11:27:16 AM »
Love it. The show is meant to be quirky. Sure it is overacted, but any one that was a teenager in that era can appreciate the even small things they do.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2018, 11:05:58 PM »
Oh my God, Erica is quickly becoming one of the most vile and hated characters of all time.  She's so mean and selfish.  She'll screw over anyone and everyone multiple times.

But, she's not the worst, Penny is the worst character of all time.  Selfish.  Slutty.  Bully.  Stupid.  User.  Dick.  Etc.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2018, 06:25:21 AM »
Oh my God, Erica is quickly becoming one of the most vile and hated characters of all time.  She's so mean and selfish.  She'll screw over anyone and everyone multiple times.
Agreed. She always seems to come out of these episode learning an important lesson, but completely forgets by the beginning of the next episode. But I guess that's typical sitcom shtick.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2019, 05:42:43 PM »
So apparently the show now takes place in the same universe as The Wedding Singer.

Did not see that coming.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline PetFish

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2019, 11:19:15 PM »
Yep, still an awesome show about the 80s, the spinoff was ok but it just seems to be more of the same.