Author Topic: The Bandersnatch format will be the future of living room entertainment  (Read 1182 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Saw some discussion of this in the Black Mirror thread. It's awesome to see this idea being experimented with in a video format. I think the show did a great job of pulling it off, and I think we're going to see this style of show/movie gain a lot of traction in the coming years.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 07:14:50 AM by Chino »

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
I agree. I had a blast with it. The story in itself was fine....nothing groundbreaking but it was compelling enough to keep you curious. But the huge draw for me was “have I found all the possible outcomes?”

That in itself was a blast. As this develops this concept could lend to some insane TV watching. The more time they have to film / more detailed the story gets there’s the potential for some vastly different outcomes.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline MirrorMask

It's also a remedy against piracy in a way. How can you download an interactive movie? I mean, technically you can, sure, but you'd have to watch all the possible scenarios in a row without a personal choice, like if they were outtakes on a DVD.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
The novelty was nice, since its the first time the show did it, but I don't won't this to be the paradigm, just like I didn't want 3D to try and be the standard after Avatar, but of course imitators love to copy success. Time will tell if "choose your own adventure" has staying power.

Bandersnatch was a cool little thing, but I prefer the traditional narrative which I get much more enjoyment from.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
The novelty was nice, since its the first time the show did it, but I don't won't this to be the paradigm, just like I didn't want 3D to try and be the standard after Avatar, but of course imitators love to copy success. Time will tell if "choose your own adventure" has staying power.

Bandersnatch was a cool little thing, but I prefer the traditional narrative which I get much more enjoyment from.

I don’t think it’ll become ‘standard’, but I think there will be more of these. And, more complex. This one was cool but all in all the stories were ending relatively the ‘same’. There was some variation and what not, but I can see this format offering drastically different avenues/endings etc etc.

It’s all about how much time they’d sink into it as far as filming and creating the story

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Of course it won't become standard. It'll remain a novelty act. Just like choose your own adventure books aren't the standard.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran

I don’t think it’ll become ‘standard’, but I think there will be more of these. And, more complex. This one was cool but all in all the stories were ending relatively the ‘same’. There was some variation and what not, but I can see this format offering drastically different avenues/endings etc etc.

It’s all about how much time they’d sink into it as far as filming and creating the story

Imagine a show like TWD where you decide whether or not Andrea kills the governor while he sleeps, or if Jesse shoots Gale in Breaking Bad.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Imagine a show like TWD where you decide whether or not Andrea kills the governor while he sleeps, or if Jesse shoots Gale in Breaking Bad.

No idea what this thread is about, unless it is about a "Choose Your Own Adventure" film/tv show? I don't think I'd like that. Isn't the point of watching a film/show to 1) see what happens next and 2) appreciate the plot the screenwriter(s) have crafted? Why would I think I could do a better job then they could, and why would I want to tell the story myself?

Am I misunderstanding all this?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline RuRoRul

It was good, and obviously anything pulling off something successfully will pave the way for others to follow in its footsteps. But I don't think "choose your own adventure" style film or TV (which this was, to answer the question above) will become ubiquitous, and honestly while Bandersnatch was a good proof of concept for the technology I don't think it was a good demonstration of something that could be a new standard.

That's not to say I didn't enjoy Bandersnatch, I did, but I was enjoying something that revelled in the fact it was using this new format and was extrememely self aware about it. That was great for introducing people to the mechanics and for people to enjoy something well outside the ordinary that made good use of its unique (at this point) style. But if there's going to be a lot of films where you can choose the outcome, they can't all be things dedicated to marvelling about the format. It's like if the concept of film was just being created now, Bandersnatch would be a movie that dedicated much of itself to saying "Look! You can see me even though I'm not in the room! And I'm pretending to be a character in a story and you can see the story! Isn't that cool?" It might be good to introduce audiences to the concept, but after the novelty of the format wears off there needs to be something that just takes the format and plays it straight if it's going to be more than a novelty.

I think the real test will be if something uses this format that's just a good self contained story that isn't meta about it can be successful. I suspect that unless it's integral to the concept like Bandersnatch, it won't be worrh it for creators to film lots of additional content, and audiences might feel like it's tacked on. People might like going back and finding other outcomes, but people also don't like missing stuff, and there's a balance between something that feels like it's rewarding to find more and something that feels annoying by making content difficult to find. Bandersnatch toys with the viewer and makes wondering if you made the right choice part of the experience, in a more straight-up storyline it might be more annoying to be left feeling like you might have chosen the "wrong" decision in scene two.

And for ongoing series, it's just too impractical. If you can make a major decision about what happens in The Walking Dead, then what happens for the next 8 seasons? They just couldn't film something with divergent storylines for too long.

But, on the plus side, Bandersnatch has done it and as far as I'm aware is fairly well received, and more importantly has introduced audiences to the mechanic. I've seen jokes and memes posted putting the Bandersnatch decision graphic over scenes from other shows, and I actually think stuff like that goes a long way to show that it's in the public consciousness. Netflix is still the "in" platform at the moment so big things on it become part of the zeitgeist, and streaming platforms like Netflix are the perfect fit for the mechanics of something like Bandersnatch. So there's definitely room for more things that use the format, but I think it has a long way to go before it's even a common genre.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 08:06:43 AM by RuRoRul »

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
Good post RuRoRul. Made some great points.

I do think there is room to improve this format that B.S. gave us. As much as I liked it the story was still more or less guided....which is fine. And it more or less had the 'same' outcome. There wasn't a great deviation in the overall tone of the film.

I'd like to see one where the outcomes were vastly different. Say, if you're a kid at a party in high school and you 'choose' to drop acid or do a line of coke....the movie from that point on takes a dramatic turn from what it would have been had you passed on doing the drug or 'whatever'.

B.S. was fun and I enjoyed it but at the same time, like I said....there wasn't as much 'choice' as we thought. But then again....that was the point of the movie  :lol