Author Topic: bl5150's Top 50.........TOP TEN ...#1  (Read 71836 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: bl5150's Top 50.........TOP TEN ...#6
« Reply #525 on: August 04, 2014, 12:14:27 PM »
Well, Hardline does have more than one album - though let's just forget about II, and yes... Gioelli is the only consistent member on the other two, so I guess it's understandable.  Perhaps not forgivable, but understandable.  :lol  But still... Schon rock's the fuckin debut album. 
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #526 on: August 04, 2014, 01:47:41 PM »
If Winger comes around the Boston area, I need to hijack Tim to go to the show with me. :lol

I would love to tie him to a chair and have Kip do a live saucy performance of Seventeen just for him, spandex, dance moves and all.
You guys are lucky I'm on vacation and can't comment. See you in a few days.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #527 on: August 04, 2014, 03:26:51 PM »
If Winger comes around the Boston area, I need to hijack Tim to go to the show with me. :lol

I would love to tie him to a chair and have Kip do a live saucy performance of Seventeen just for him, spandex, dance moves and all.
You guys are lucky I'm on vacation and can't comment. See you in a few days.

hehe
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: bl5150's Top 50.........TOP TEN ...#5
« Reply #528 on: August 04, 2014, 06:26:35 PM »

#5 Queensryche: Operation Mindcrime
Released 1988

Tracks
1.     I Remember Now     
2.     Anarchy-X     
3.     Revolution Calling     
4.     Operation: Mindcrime     
5.     Speak     
6.     Spreading the Disease     
7.     The Mission     
8.     Suite Sister Mary     
9.     The Needle Lies     
10.     Electric Requiem     
11.     Breaking the Silence     
12.     I Don't Believe in Love     
13.     Waiting for 22     
14.     My Empty Room     
15.     Eyes of a Stranger     

As mentioned already this album/band and my #4 are bascially tied - the only way I could separate them was to give the edge to my #4 band due to a longer period of consistent output....or perhaps , to be blunt , my number four band didn't release 20+ years of aural diarrhoea topped off by Dedicated to Cabaret.  :facepalm:

Either way this is one fantastic album and , for me , clearly the best concept metal album of all time.........and from about the only decent band, aside from Metal Church,  to come out of Seattle :) .  Not only does it have a story that flows well from song to song (the story is always a distant second for me to the music anyway) but the key is each song stands on its own as a great song regardless.  The concept can be read here  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation:_Mindcrime. and is one of the few examples (Crimson Idol being another) where the concept adds to the music for me.  In this case the political/criminal undercurrent really adds a menacing tone to what is already fantastic music.  Much of the political commentary is just as relevant today actually.

Although I do like the earlier material too (EP + The Warning) , this album was the midpoint of an amazing 3 album run of Rage For Order, OM and Empire.  All quite different albums and all awesome in their own way but for me Mindcrime just nails it the best in all departments - music/vocal, lyrics and cohesiveness.   I think this stands up as well now as it did then.  I'm not normally one for listening to the drums in great detail but Scott Rockenfields playing on this really adds a lot I believe.

One of the true prog metal innovators here and an album containing a number of my all time favourite songs. Brilliant - not much more to say .

Favourite Tracks:  Eyes of A Stranger , Operation Mindcrime, Speak, Breaking The Silence...........very hard to pick faves - they all are.

I'll be back tomorrow with another instalment - 'til then ..........sweet dreams you  :neverusethis:

Honourable Mention:  Jeff Paris : Lucky This Time  Good straight up singer/songwriter/guitarist with a combo of harder rock and AOR.  The linked track is a Paul Stanley co-write and sounds like it could've been off Hot In The Shade (not always a good thing).  Another softer one here : Stop Playing With My Heart       The title track ended up being re-done by Mr Big on Lean Into It.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 06:33:38 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #529 on: August 04, 2014, 06:37:25 PM »
Great inclusion on anyone's top 10.  Made #8 for me.  Flawless album - tainted only by the thought of what might have been, and what we actually got - 20 years of aural diarrhea.  I still remember the day I got this CD from a flea market, after the release of Empire and the commercial acceptance that got.  I put this in and was completely blown away.  Empire went right to the back burner.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #530 on: August 04, 2014, 08:41:16 PM »
At the time of release I didn't know what to make of Empire - it was obviously a good album but it felt like a letdown after Mindcrime.  Over time though I have come to appreciate it more on its own merit rather than "in comparison to."  I would still rate it third behind OM and Rage For Order.   I have to be in the mood for Rage For Order but it's a great album that doesn't get enough credit.  I would've loved to hear it with a more modern production though....powerful songs like Walk In The Shadows would sound even more amazing with an Empire era sound IMO.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #531 on: August 04, 2014, 08:49:52 PM »
Can never go wrong with this great album.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: bl5150's Top 50.........TOP TEN ...#4
« Reply #532 on: August 04, 2014, 09:45:49 PM »
What the hell...........I don't expect to be around much tomorrow now so here's another to keep things lively .

#4 Savatage: Gutter Ballet
Released 1989

Tracks
1.     Of Rage and War     
2.     Gutter Ballet     
3.     Temptation Revelation     
4.     When the Crowds Are Gone     
5.     Silk and Steel     
6.     She's in Love     
7.     Hounds     
8.     The Unholy     
9.     Mentally Yours     
10.     Summer Rain     
11.     Thorazine Shuffle

Here we have another innovator in what I suppose you could call progressive metal prior to the arrival of DT and others in the 90's.  I'm no expert on the early days of "symphonic metal"/metal operas etc.........but I can't think of too many who had already incorporated the piano and strings into metal like Savatage did with this album in the late 80's.   Much of this was due to the influence of producer (and defacto band member) Paul O'Neill who had started with them on HoTMK but didn't really assert his influence until Gutter Ballet.

I think most of the symphonic/"metal opera" bands of today owe Savatage some credit.  It may seem a bit passe these days but there really was like nothing else like it back then and I was hooked from the minute I heard songs like Gutter Ballet, When The Crowds Are Gone, Hounds, Summer Rain.   Jon Oliva had a great ability to switch from a smooth emotive vocal to a blood curdling scream and his brother Criss (RIP) remains one my favourite guitarists to this day.

This album in many ways bridges the gap between the pure metal of the prior album Hall of the Mountain King and the Broadway metal concept album that followed (Streets).....it's about half of each style  This was my first Savatage album and was a great introduction to both sides of the band .  I then worked my way back to HoTMK (also a likely top 50 album contender) and bought all their new stuff from then on.   I enjoyed almost everything they did from there to one degree or another but for me this was their peak. The cover alone was enough to grab the attention - awesome art.

There is a touch of filler here and there but the great stuff (most of it) is just that good it really doesn't matter.......it's worth a purchase just for cuts like Gutter Ballet and When The Crowds Are Gone .  Savatage sound like nobody else has before or since and I (obviously) think they are vastly under rated in terms of their contribution to metal in general .  A masterpiece that , just like Mindcrime,  is a real musical journey that was ahead of its time and sounds just as good today.

In terms of rewind/hair on back of neck moments that I played and played over and over the solo section of Gutter Ballet would be right up there.  The change of pace at the end of Hounds is another and really the whole Gutter Ballet, Temptation Revelation, When The Crowds Are Gone grouping.

TAC won't like this one on his return either :D - we occupy opposite ends of the discussion on whether Savatage have any musical "chops."

Favourite Tracks:  Gutter Ballet , When The Crowds Are Gone, Temptation Revelation, Hounds, Summer Rain

Honourable Mention:  Lynch Mob : Wicked Sensation
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 01:45:47 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #533 on: August 04, 2014, 09:54:49 PM »
gave Gutter Ballet a spin recently - stellar album.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #534 on: August 05, 2014, 03:12:33 AM »
Reporting in from my camping holiday in the wilds. I just couldn't stay away, much to the annoyance of my other half lol. Great updates. Cant argue with any of these making a top 50 and some made mine.
Gutter Ballet was my first sava album and still probably my fave with Streets close behind.

Yngwie was a huge influence for me and I was a fan from the Alcatrazz album. Next picked up Marching Out on release and the awesome 1st solo album at the same time. Such a shame he is such a prick. Have you read the As Above So Below biography? Everyone who ever met him thinks he's a twat. They cant all be wrong. He went downhill from the 90s for me with only the Concerto Suite (a Lowdz top 50 pick) ang Facing The Animal worth a listen after Magnum Opus. I wasnt much of a fan of fire and ice mainly due to the vocals from Goran Edman. Hes just too weak sounding. No fire (pun intended) in his voice.

Pyro is def lep,s best.

Cant argue with Talisman. All their albums are quality. RIP Marcel. Great songwriter and bass player. His bass drives alot of their songs.

Mindcrime was joint no 1 in my top 50 so I think we can say I rate it.

Right, back to camping!

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #535 on: August 05, 2014, 04:25:52 AM »
The recent two albums are the few ones from this list I actually know and love.  :D Mindcrime is a classic, and Gutter Ballet is a great (and, I think, pretty underappreciated) output by Savatage. The title track is just fantastic, definitely my favourite.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #536 on: August 05, 2014, 04:49:54 AM »
Two absolute sensational picks.  Mindcrime made number 7 I think for me and Gutter Ballet was in the high twenties. 

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #537 on: August 05, 2014, 05:01:28 AM »
I've only heard Streets from Savatage, but I'll check Gutter Ballet out some time.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #538 on: August 05, 2014, 05:21:27 AM »
I've only heard Streets from Savatage, but I'll check Gutter Ballet out some time.

You really should man.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #539 on: August 05, 2014, 10:45:31 AM »
2 perfect metal albums

Offline emtee

« Reply #540 on: August 05, 2014, 01:42:46 PM »
Looking through your list and seeing what you like(d) I'm surprised there isn't a Triumph album in there somewhere.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #541 on: August 05, 2014, 02:45:18 PM »
Looking through your list and seeing what you like(d) I'm surprised there isn't a Triumph album in there somewhere.

I think he may have had Surveillance as an HM

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: bl5150's Top 50.........TOP TEN ...#3
« Reply #542 on: August 05, 2014, 07:52:54 PM »

I think he may have had Surveillance as an HM

That I did.

Looks like I might have time for #3 today after all.   Before I do get into my Top 3 (Images and Words is #3)  I want to make a little comment on the rankings – separating these Top 3 has been like deciding who my favourite kid is.   Queensryche and Savatage were clearly above the rest , and then the Top 3 are on another level again and depending on the ranking criteria used  I could easily see either of them at number one.  And I’d be happy to see any of them at number one.

As I noted in my intro the only way I had a hope of ranking the artists and albums was based on their impact on my life rather than pure album ratings  – not only the album but the artists themselves over the course of a lifetime.  This made it tough for Dream Theater for a few reasons:

-   By the time DT arrived on the scene I’d been a fan of #1 and #2 bands for 5-8 years – growing with them through my teens

-   If we assume that to make it this high in my list an album might need a rating of 90%+ and we look at the albums under consideration, then some interesting facts emerge related to other Top 10 artists and their albums compared to Dream Theater.  Below is a list of bands # 1-8 and how many albums of theirs I rate 90%+ and which were therefore actively considered for the list:

Malmsteen (5) , Savatage (4), Queensryche (3),Talisman (4), Def Leppard (3) , My #1 artist (7), My #2 artist (7)…….and Dream Theater (1)** ……mind you I’d rate Images and Words 150% if I could.  The fact that I have elevated DT above the majority of those huge artists in my life based almost entirely on the brilliance of Images and Words speaks volumes I think.  So does this pic :D 

Only Dream Theater and one of the Top 2 has had enough of an impact to turn me into a collector and one of my prized possessions is that I&W sealed longbox with expanded art. Others……..original German pressing, white Brookvale , red/gold swirl sealed No 6 and another red/gold unsealed signed by MP.

**Note that DT12 currently has a rating of 92% but I need to give that more time.  Next is ADTOE and Awake in the 80s’ (still excellent) and the rest tail away pretty quick all the way to ToT and SC in the 50’s.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #543 on: August 05, 2014, 07:53:12 PM »

#3 Dream Theater: Images and Words
Released 1992

Tracks
1.     Pull Me Under     8:14
2.     Another Day     4:23
3.     Take the Time     8:21
4.     Surrounded     5:30
5.     Metropolis—Part I: The Miracle and the Sleeper     9:32
6.     Under a Glass Moon     7:03
7.     Wait for Sleep     2:31
8.     Learning to Live     11:30

Three words – “prog metal perfection.”

I first heard Pull Me Under on a late night metal radio show in ‘92 and I was into the city ASAP to buy the album. It was a real WOW moment similar to when I first heard Gutter Ballet a couple of years earlier.

Some consider that this album was the beginning of prog metal , but for me most of the true pioneers have already been mentioned in the list.  What this album DID though was to redefine the meaning of the term  and also the expectations for anyone who dared follow in their footsteps.  And that included Dream Theater themselves because , despite releasing some great material , I don’t think they’ve ever come close to matching it.  Here’s the perfect album and ah………    ???

Despite its ranking,  if I was asked “ what is the most perfect album in your collection purely in terms of the music?” then this would be it  - easily.   And when I say “perfect musically” , what I mean by that is that it is the only album EVER (IMO) to package the heaviness and virtuosity on display – not to mention the variety - within very well written, melodic and catchy songs without a single minute of filler.   There’s a very fine line for me between progressive elements enhancing a song and just outright “wankery” and on this album everything falls on the right side of that divide.  All of DT’s other albums (Dt 12 aside)  have songs that do not and , to be honest , the vast majority of songs in the ToT to BCSL period fall in that basket for me.  I wouldn’t underestimate the KevMo factor in my love of I&W either.

If I were to do a Top 50 DT songs then every song from I&W would feature in the top 15.  I think I’ve said all I need to say………….. a masterpiece.

Favourite Tracks:  All of them.

Honourable Mention:  Bad Habit - Revolution .........Swedish melodic rock with some really nice guitar work from Sven Cirnski.  If you prefer something a little bit heavier their Atmosphere album might be more your cuppa tea - sample here  It's all pretty fluffy though.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 08:01:51 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #544 on: August 05, 2014, 08:24:19 PM »
It topped my list.  I was first introduced to DT in late '96.  Being a glam/classic rock snob, other than Mindcrime, I'd never heard anything like this ever.  And it puts O:M to shame with it's pure technical brilliance.  One of the top 5 influential albums of my life for sure... probably #2 (Led Zeppelin IV being my most influential).  The only album I can consider truly - TRULY - flawless.  I don't spin it too much these days, but it's always unadulterated joy whenever I do.

Savatage... I became a fan by seeing TSO in concert.  Took a couple of years to investigate Savatage, and I don't listen to them nearly enough.  Everytime I spin an album of theirs (doesn't matter which one), I always thing "damn, I need to listen to Savatage more often".  The sad thing is that I discovered their discography in one swoop, so I haven't spent the time to "know" their albums.

Will spin Gutter Ballet in a moment.

New prediction for Top 2 - Halen (5150... SHOCKER) and either Rush (Power Windows) or Maiden (Powerslave or PoM).  Your list fails for omitting one of them though.  You better not fail by omitting both!

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #545 on: August 05, 2014, 08:30:22 PM »
I&W is always a worthy choice.

I was kind of underwhelmed with O:M. It was all right, but nothing like it had been built up to be.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #546 on: August 05, 2014, 08:34:24 PM »
  You better not fail by omitting both!
I thought you guys might feel refreshed with a list that's not chock full of Maiden and Rush  ;D    The only impact that Maiden or Rush have had on my life is influencing bands that I really do like.   I'm a casual Maiden fan and don't listen to Rush at all (not through lack of trying either) . Soz......:neverusethis:

I reckon if people think about the guitarists that I have raved about at times , then the top 2 might become more obvious.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 08:45:20 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #547 on: August 05, 2014, 09:07:55 PM »

I was kind of underwhelmed with O:M. It was all right, but nothing like it had been built up to be.

And this is why people don't respect Alabama

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #548 on: August 05, 2014, 09:10:27 PM »
That's sad.

I could give 'em a dozen better reasons. :P

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #549 on: August 05, 2014, 10:29:26 PM »
You described I&W perfectly.

Masterpiece is right!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #550 on: August 06, 2014, 05:21:20 AM »
It was in the twenties for me I think.  Brilliant album.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #551 on: August 06, 2014, 05:31:25 AM »
To this day, I pull out I&W and it still gets me every time I spin it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #552 on: August 06, 2014, 05:35:28 AM »
My favourite DT album, and a Top 10 album of all time for me. Just brilliant.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #553 on: August 06, 2014, 10:57:50 AM »
Images and Mindcrime.....  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline emtee

« Reply #554 on: August 06, 2014, 01:05:41 PM »
Through my many years of DT fandom I've read the same story many times and I too discovered DT in this way.

Late night radio show that played new untested tracks. They played PMU and I was BLOWN AWAY. I was in a hair metal
band and we were doing OK, getting some regional gigs as well as lots of local ones and I thought I was a pretty decent
drummer. Hah...I heard PMU and the very next day I drove straight to the record store and bought I&W whereby
MP schooled me in what my abilities on the drums really were. The arrangements of those songs and their approach
left me in awe.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #555 on: August 06, 2014, 01:16:15 PM »
I&W was joint top for me with O:M. Couldn't split them. As you say, a perfect album. Only 4 albums have made me sit up and go  :omg: :omg: :omg:

The first was Rush's AFTK

The 2nd was Yngwie's Rising Force

3rd was O:M

4th was I&W

I'm really hoping 5150 doesn't make the top 2 because this could easily be my top 20 so far and I can't stand 2/3 of 5150.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #556 on: August 06, 2014, 03:48:18 PM »
You have seen his username, right?

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #557 on: August 06, 2014, 03:56:29 PM »
You have seen his username, right?

:biggrin:
Too used to thinking of him as Brent (though I hear it in m head as Brint with the Aussie accent!) but now you mention it... shame, I thought he had pretty good taste  :biggrin:

I just thought he liked the amps... that would be much better.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 04:14:39 PM by Lowdz »

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #558 on: August 06, 2014, 08:22:07 PM »
And then there's the studio , the 5150 guitar and then there's the possibility that I just AM a 5150 

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: bl5150's Top 50.........TOP TEN ...#2
« Reply #559 on: August 06, 2014, 09:27:17 PM »

#2 Ozzy Osbourne: The Ultimate Sin /Randy Rhoads Tribute (LIVE) - TIE
Released : 1986/ 1987

I rate every single album from Blizzard of Ozz to No More Tears a classic , so I like the Ozzman a lot.  I think he's under rated as a vocalist and , if nothing else, boy could he attract some talent.  I'd make particular mention of Bob Daisley here as someone whose name was not up in lights but who had a whole lot to do with most of Ozzy's best songs.

Both of these albums are 100% ers for me , were hugely influential and so I really cannot split them - I would also feel bad if either Randy Rhoads or Jake E Lee did not get a mention in this list. 

Ozzy Osbourne has been a huge part of my musical journey.  Back in the mid 80's I used to get my dad to set the VHS to record a show called Rage in the wee hours of the morning.  These days I imagine the show plays crap around the clock but back then there was at least a couple of hours of rock and metal between 2am and 4am on a Sunday morning.   Most of it was pretty average but one day in 1986 (12 yo)  I stumbled onto this video for the song Lightning Strikes -  link goes to the solo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om24gvzWcLY#t=160

After watching that I was fucking well hooked - God knows how many times I rewound and replayed that solo.  I was already a fan of KISS and Van Halen but that video took my desire to be a good guitarist to a new level.  Jake had the looks, the moves and the chops in abundance - so much so that I barely noticed Ozzy looking like a juiced up drag queen . 

I can barely remember what I did last week but I can quite vividly remember dragging my dad into the record store to buy the album - which would be my first real "metal" album too.   So we go to the cassettes and find it - Dad looks at me sideways as if I'm some sort of devil worshipper when he sees the cover (I was 12 years old) but agrees I can buy it.  So I remove the cassette cover from the shelf and THIS

is behind it  :omg:  ;D 

Whoops - more explaining.

So there my journey began and I worked my way backwards , quickly picking up Bark At The Moon , Blizzard and Diary (on a 2 for the price of one tape).  I bought every new release shortly after it hit the shops right up until Ozzmosis , after which I sorta lost interest. 

While I haven't ranked Ozzy as my all time favourite artist I wouldn't mind betting I've listened to him more than any other artist over the years .

Getting back to my two favourites

1) The Ultimate Sin:   This record seems to get bad press from left , right and centre .  Ozzy himself has pretty much disowned it and Zakk Wylde is quoted as saying it's pissweak compared to BATM.  That's something I just don't get because to me it's heavier sounding than BATM if anything.  Sure it has some commercial sounding stuff on it but overall it's certainly not some sort of commercial sellout.   Aside from the awesome guitar work of Jake E Lee , Ozzy puts in a top performance and I actually find a lot of the lyrics quite well thought out.  Many topical subjects of the time were covered including nuclear war, the demonising of metal music/artists etc........  every track on it has a special place for me. The guitar SOUND could've been better  but on the other hand I almost find it adds character to the album.  I just love his playing on this and I recall not only being initially gutted when I got NRFTW and realised Jake had left , but also after playing the debut Badlands.  While good I really missed the "metal" Jake.

2) Randy Rhoads Tribute;  This is an amazing snapshot of the brilliant Randy Rhoads at the peak of his powers .......powers that were unfortunately not allowed to grow even further due to his untimely death.  The songs on this record (from Blizzard of Ozz especially) sound so much heavier and more lively than they did on the studio recordings - they really get taken to a whole new level.  I would listen to this rather than Blizzard every day of the week.   Ozzy sounds fantastic and Randy just slays on everything , including the Sabbath songs which take on a whole new energy too.   This album was also my first wake up that Sabbath even existed.  The only issue I have is the lack of more material (and the better songs) from Diary of a Madman......at the time Diary had been recorded but not released.  Aside from that , and the fact that Randy's probably just a bit too prominent in the mix, it's perfect.  I have the tab for this sitting around here somewhere and had it down pat at one point - wouldn't have a hope now but if I ever get my shit together and pick up the guitar again then this album will be a great starting point to get the juices flowing.

Favourite Tracks:  Again - all of them.  If you don't know the albums and want a sample then perhaps try Shot In The Dark, Never , Lightning Strikes,  Killer of Giants from The Ultimate Sin.   On the Tribute album ............I Don't Know , Mr Crowley , Relevation(Mother Earth).    Most/all of these don't seem to be on Youtube - Sharon's on the job.  I'll upload some samples if anyone really need them - just let me know.

Actually ......The Ultimate Sin can be listened to here :  https://grooveshark.com/#!/album/The+Ultimate+Sin/191511

Honourable Mention: Michael Schenker Group : Written In The Sand ..........quite a laid back rock album , initially a JAP only release (my copy) but later got a Euro release without the bonus tracks.  Leif Sundin on vocals is always good to listen to.  Bonus tracks are re-records of Cry For The Nations and Into The Arena.

#1 might take me 2 or 3 days as it's the only one I didn't put some prep work into beforehand.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 10:31:58 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au