Author Topic: bl5150's Top 50.........TOP TEN ...#1  (Read 71854 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: bl5150's Top 50.........TOP TEN ...#7
« Reply #490 on: August 03, 2014, 08:23:44 PM »
Not much of a fan of the s/t, but the other two are excellent records. Heaven Tonight was my first exposure to Yngvie. I never stuck with him thru the 90s (Trilogy is the only other album I own), and that too is a great album.  I probably prefer it to the first two - probably because I like Boals over JSS.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #491 on: August 03, 2014, 08:26:08 PM »
Trilogy is killer.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #492 on: August 03, 2014, 08:27:32 PM »
Marching Out is one of my all time favorites

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #493 on: August 03, 2014, 08:28:21 PM »
You know, to be honest, I'd probably take Trilogy over Marching Out too.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #494 on: August 03, 2014, 08:31:07 PM »
To be honest I wanted to make it a 5 way tie with Trilogy and Eclipse  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #495 on: August 03, 2014, 08:32:10 PM »
Eclipse was one I never really fully got into.  I should go back to that one.

Now Fire and Ice, there's a stellar album, underrated too.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #496 on: August 03, 2014, 08:34:08 PM »
Love me some early Yngwie!  Rising Force rules! :metal :metal :metal

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #497 on: August 03, 2014, 08:34:27 PM »
He lost me a bit with Fire and Ice - to me it was a bit by the numbers.  I liked the title track and Final Curtain (stretching the memory) but I thought there was plenty of filler.   I initially liked Teaser but came to view it as a bit lame over time.  For mine Eclipse is a much stronger and better sounding album.

Tracks like Devil In Disguise , Judas, Demon Driver kick ass.  And the ballad Save Our Love has possibly his most beautiful solo ever.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #498 on: August 03, 2014, 08:38:51 PM »
Alright definitely will get my Eclipse cd out.

Teaser is probably the weakest on F&I and I too thought it was a bit lame, and I can take some cheese.  How Many Miles to Babylon, No Mercy, Fire and Ice, Forever is a Long Time, Final Curtain and the instrumentals are all amazing tacks.  The Japan song Broken Glass has song moments too.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #499 on: August 03, 2014, 08:41:00 PM »
I think I was kinda un-awed by him after Trilogy.  I went and saw him on that tour.  What I came away with was the realization, that most of us now know, is that its all awesome speed and shred.  When I watched him I just felt like.."Man...if he could only slow down for a sec and belt out some tasty melodies"  :lol  Still a pioneer and incredible talent, but I feel he could have been SO much more.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #500 on: August 03, 2014, 08:44:56 PM »
I think I was kinda un-awed by him after Trilogy.  I went and saw him on that tour.  What I came away with was the realization, that most of us now know, is that its all awesome speed and shred.  When I watched him I just felt like.."Man...if he could only slow down for a sec and belt out some tasty melodies"  :lol  Still a pioneer and incredible talent, but I feel he could have been SO much more.

Well you probably stopped at the wrong time - Odyssey and Eclipse (the next 2 ) contain a lot of his most melodic playing.  Check out some tracks like Crystal Ball , Now Is The Time, Save Our Love

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #501 on: August 03, 2014, 08:51:55 PM »
No, I've heard his later stuff, and yes there's some more melodic slower stuff.  By the trilogy point though, his luster had worn off a bit for me.  The later material was good, but it's kinda like that "The moment had passed" feeling for me.  Also by then he was really starting to show his dickhead side, and that really turned me off too.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #502 on: August 03, 2014, 08:52:51 PM »
 ;D    He certainly wouldn't have made the list if there was a "no dickead rule".   Neither would a few others.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #503 on: August 03, 2014, 09:16:38 PM »
True Dat!  Hey...he made my list too!  ;D

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #504 on: August 03, 2014, 10:41:56 PM »

:letam: :2metal: :metal

Finally getting into some stuff I know well. Whitesnake and Oddyssey are favourites of mine aswell.

As for Def Leppard, I never really got into Pyromania. I should give it another go.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: bl5150's Top 50.........TOP TEN ...#6
« Reply #505 on: August 03, 2014, 10:48:07 PM »

#6 Talisman : Talisman/Humanimal(TIE)
Released 1990/1994

I wasn't far off another triple tie here with the s/t, Genesis and Humanimal but I managed to cut it to two.  All three albums are very different and influenced me in their own way.

I mentioned in the prior entry that the Rising Force band brought together a couple of guys that would form one of my favourite bands and here they are.  I will run a bit of history by you as to the way the band was formed and progressed.   After the Marching Out album Marcel Jacob (master bassist) moved on to work with John Norum (Europe)on his debut solo album.   During the preparation for the second Norum solo album Jacob left when many of his song ideas were rejected and found himself without a band.  Jacob began the process of demoing up his songs with Goran Edman on vocals (spewing he didn't stick around hey Paul ?  ;D ) and other well known musicians such as Jason Bieler (Saigon Kick).   Eventually Edman left to work on Malmsteens's Eclipse and Jacob made contact with his old bandmate Jeff Scott Soto and the rest is history.  Of all the Soto projects , Talisman stands head and shoulders above the rest for me , although I really like most of them.  I have a ridiculous collection of his rarer material  ::)

I can actually remember they day I bought the Talisman debut - I still recall the great feeling I used to get going into "Metal For Melbourne" buying artists like this back in the early 90's and catching the train home checking out the booklets etc.... and the satisfaction of knowing that I'd just unearthed another gem of an album that almost nobody knew about  :hat

So onto the albums themselves which are quite diverse:

Talisman s/t:    Although the original demo version of the band included a dedicated drummer Marcel ended up playing rhythm guitar , bass and drums on the debut.   Lead guitarist Christopher Stahl did an amazing job and vanished into thin air after this album.   This is certainly very different to anything else they released - much more AOR but still pretty heavy in parts.   This is really the album that cemented my love for Soto's voice (much smoother here than on Marching Out - the chameleon strikes again) and although it may not have aged as well as some of the others , this was my number one played album for some time.

Genesis:   Genesis saw them toughen up their sound and add very slight elements of the funky edge that would become more obvious later.  Once again Marcel handled a lot of the rhythm guitar and drums , but we had the addition of long term lead guitar maestro Frederik Akeeson (currently boring himself shitless playing backup guitars in Opeth  ;D  :-X  )   Great album and probably their most straight ahead hard rock effort.

Humanimal:   I didn't know what to think the first time I heard this album  :omg:  Firstly the last piece of the band puzzle was added (Jamie Borger ex-Treat on drums) which made a big difference , but geez - this album is all over the place. Before I scare you off , check out the linked tracks  ;)  The rockers on this fuckin rawk  :metal

I have no doubt that this album could alienate some with its frequent jumps from one style to another.  There's the Chilli Pepper influenced opening track where uber talented bassist Marcel Jacob (RIP) shows off his chops without delay ,  the ballad All In All brings to mind JSS's love of Terence Trent D'Arby.....and then , as another exercise , let's examine the last four tracks .  The acoustic ballad Since You've Gone, the epic rock/metal of Humanimal , the 60's style barbershop quartet?? (I'm not old enough  ;D ) sound of Doin' Time and the brutal almost grungy assault of Hypocrite.

Somehow they manage to pull all this off without sounding contrived or messy....to me anyway .  It's hard to believe there were another 8 tracks (mostly good)that were recorded in these sessions that didn't make the album.  They were released on the very rare (at the time) Humanimal Part 2 which of course I paid a mint for only to see the whole lot released in one package years later at a bargain price.  :censored   That's happened more times than I care to remember.

If you like your rock hard ( but with many detours), great musicians and prominent bass lines from one of the best in the biz then this album is worth checking out. Even if you don't like the softer stuff the heavy tracks are  :hefdaddy -  if there's such a thing as a 5 minute epic then the title track is it.  Akeeson's guitar just builds and builds.

If you want something a bit safer try the self titled debut or Genesis first , both of which are also fantastic.

In fact I like all their albums except Cats and Dogs - speaking of which I have a leftover unreleased track from that album called All Wound Up in CD quality direct from the Jeffmeister .......fun song about getting off your face but 10 times better than anything on the album.  If any Talisman fans want it (not sure about attachment sizes etc....and how that might work) then let me know.  I also have it in 320k if worst comes to worst.

Favourite Tracks (s/t) : Break Your Chains, Queen , Standing On Fire ,I'll Be Waiting,  Day By Day, Just Between Us.   The outro instrumental Great Sandwich is also good.

Favourite Tracks (Humanimal):  Humanimal, Fabricated War , Seasons , D.O.A.P.S ,Blissful Garden   .............it took me a few years to figure out that D.O.A.P.S stands for "diary of a pop star".

Honourable Mention: Fate - Scratch'n'Sniff    This may only be of interest to guitar freaks.  Fate was an AOR band formed as a side project by Hank Sherman of Mercyful Fate.  By the time this was recorded there was only one original member (bass) but on guitar was the crazy man Matthias Eklundh.  This guy makes Steve Vai seem normal but if you don't mind the typical bad Scandi accent/lyrics and you like some wild guitar and some nice melodies at times..........this might be worth a listen.  The only album Matthias did that was really accessible .
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 11:03:38 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #506 on: August 04, 2014, 02:38:29 AM »
The debut and Genesis both have songs I like, with Genesis probbably being my preferred album. I checked out the rest on Spotify, but they moved further away from my kind of thing. Even the first two are kinda average for me.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #507 on: August 04, 2014, 04:45:28 AM »
I have good reason to be proud of the degree to which I brainwashed my little sis when it comes to music.   :angel: Tonight she took me to rehab (not that sort ) and she rocked up with Harem Scarem , Talisman and Dream Theater in the car - not for me , for herself.

When I told her about the Top 50 I was doing she rattled off 17 of the top 20 off the top of her head  :omg: :hefdaddy  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #508 on: August 04, 2014, 04:53:43 AM »
 :lol

I so did that to my brother as well and though he forged his own path musically I loved that me playing albums over and over influenced him.

Hell, my dad did that to me as well!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #509 on: August 04, 2014, 05:03:18 AM »
To be honest I wanted to make it a 5 way tie with Trilogy and Eclipse  ;D

Oh yeah, forgot I also have Eclipse.  Then I stopped following for some reason.

Coz sent me some Talisman in my first roulette (I'll Be Waiting), and I liked it plenty.  Checked out Genesis, but it didn't really stick to me.  Maybe I should see if there's some kind of compilation out there, as I think there would be plenty I'd like, but if they're inconsistent, not sure I'd come back to them with any regularity.

ANOTHER HM to add to the list.  What the fuck is so honorable about them if no one's ever heard of them??  :lol

Now, predictions as for what's still to come on the Top 6 (in no particular order)

Halen
Dream Theater
Winger - oh, Tim will love you for this  :biggrin:.  Can't remember if they were an HM already or not?
hhhmmm... some Karlsson project, perhaps Allen/Lande?
AC/DC... doubt it, but c'mon!  You're from Oz!
Savatage

If Winger was an HM already, or if I'm stretching with AC/DC, I'll put Hardline down as an alternate.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #510 on: August 04, 2014, 05:10:10 AM »
Not bad  ;)   Winger was an HM - I dedicated it to TAC  ;D  And you somehow managed to change the thread back to #7 - there's only 5 left.

If I remember I'll try and put together a Best OF list for you for Talisman and Tad Morose when I finish all this.  In the meantime I'd check out the Humanimal samples I linked and see if you like those.  I reckon Humanimal the song is epic.

As far as Malmsteen goes I reckon Eclipse isn't too  bad a place to stop.  If you like Mike Vescera then perhaps check out Seventh Sign which is pretty strong.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #511 on: August 04, 2014, 05:16:47 AM »
Not bad  ;)   Winger was an HM - I dedicated it to TAC  ;D  And you somehow managed to change the thread back to #7 - there's only 5 left.

:vfs:

I thought there were only 5 left, but then when I checked the subject of my post, it was on #7 - must've been because I quoted a post when you were still on #7.

Ok, so swap out Winger for Savatage, and scrap AC/DC.  Still, lack of Hardline (should it turn out to be so) makes jingle.boy  :sadpanda:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #512 on: August 04, 2014, 05:24:53 AM »
Love Talisman, I don't think have a a weak album really.  I'd probably just take the debut over Humanimal.  My fav though could actually be Life, love that one.  Their 5 Men Live DVD is one of the greatest live DVD's I've seen too, quality.

As for Fate, I only have the self titled. didn't give it much attention but I should get it out again.  Never really checked out anything else, although I do quite like IA as a guitar player.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #513 on: August 04, 2014, 05:33:08 AM »
If Winger comes around the Boston area, I need to hijack Tim to go to the show with me. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #514 on: August 04, 2014, 05:44:07 AM »
If Winger comes around the Boston area, I need to hijack Tim to go to the show with me. :lol

I would love to tie him to a chair and have Kip do a live saucy performance of Seventeen just for him, spandex, dance moves and all.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #515 on: August 04, 2014, 05:45:05 AM »

I would love to tie him to a chair and have Kip do a live saucy performance of Seventeen just for him, spandex, dance moves and all.

:rollin :rollin

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #516 on: August 04, 2014, 05:50:05 AM »

I don't think Kip wears spandex anymore though :lol

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #517 on: August 04, 2014, 06:03:23 AM »
If we're making guesses for what's left, I'll throw out Journey. Probably Frontiers. Definitely not Raised on Radio. :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #518 on: August 04, 2014, 06:04:38 AM »
That turd of an album ROR. :lol  3 songs are only worth spinning.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #519 on: August 04, 2014, 06:29:45 AM »

I don't think Kip wears spandex anymore though :lol

He could pull them out once more for this special occasion.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #520 on: August 04, 2014, 06:46:43 AM »
With "Can't Get Enough" playing in the background.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #521 on: August 04, 2014, 07:05:19 AM »
I think Tim might prefer Emergency  ;D
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 07:11:06 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #522 on: August 04, 2014, 07:59:00 AM »

LOL

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #523 on: August 04, 2014, 10:38:50 AM »
Excellent choices.  I think my favorite JLT offering with Malmsteen is Hold On.  Stratospheric vocals and that solo has one of the scariest guitar tones ever.  Damn.

Also a fan of the first Talisman album.  I may have checked out the second one, but it just didn't stick with me like the first one.  Standin' on Fire is great.  Just Between Us reminds me a lot of "When It's Love" from Whitesnake '87, for some reason.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #524 on: August 04, 2014, 11:02:18 AM »
Thanks for all the comments guys - before I go on I just want to put it on record that I have swapped #5 and #4 about 500 times and I'm still going , so it's a toss of the coin.   I love each band equally.  :heart

As far as Hardline goes (Chad) it was a very late omission from the HM's - it was so hard to cut it down to the 125  ;D  In the end I felt that , while a great album, it wasn't huge for me in terms of influence/life impact....and there's hundreds more of those   Also......if still in doubt after all the criteria I set out I tended to go for something I thought you guys may not know about in the HM's.  Seems I'm doing a decent job there  :P    The weird thing about Hardline is that my favourite track is the Jap bonus track When Love Leads The Way  :-\        Another reason it may have been eliminated is that Gioeli is clearly quite influenced by Rob Lamothe from Riverdogs who were already making an impact with me long before Hardline existed and are also in the Top 50.

Anyway.........another one coming tomorrow.   Heads or tails........

www.theguitardojo.com.au