Author Topic: bl5150's Top 50.........TOP TEN ...#1  (Read 71947 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: bl5150's Top 50.........the main event..#27 .....axe attack
« Reply #315 on: July 24, 2014, 02:29:10 PM »
Waysted!!  :metal
B, now you're talking. Save Your Prayers is a real good album but I definitely prefer the Fin albums.

Waysted... someone gave me a song of theirs in my last Roulette (Lowdz?) - How the West Was Won.  Loved it.  Can't remember if I checked out the whole album, but I guess I know what's on the listening docket this afternoon.
That would be your good buddy TAC.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #316 on: July 24, 2014, 02:48:33 PM »
Don't know Lilian Axe at all.  Must.  Check.  Out.

Waysted... someone gave me a song of theirs in my last Roulette (Lowdz?) - How the West Was Won.  Loved it.  Can't remember if I checked out the whole album, but I guess I know what's on the listening docket this afternoon.

Fuck, do some more albums I already know, will ya???  You're killing us with this "Top 125" shit.   :lol

Yes you must. They were in my top 50, with the same Poetic Justice album. The run from album 2 Love & War, Poetic Justice and Psychoschizophrenia was just awesome. They died a death after that for me. 1st album is ok too.

That Giant album is a classic. Dan Huff is a great player and his voice is great for this music. Made my top 50.

The Waysted is ok but not an album I'm that familiar with tbh.

The AF is not for me.

Crown Of Thorns- 1st album is a cracker- did I not use them in your roulette Chad? Maybe a it was just a rec in the Melodic rock thread. The others not as good but the Voodoo X album was a return to form, although the production is shit.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #317 on: July 24, 2014, 03:08:27 PM »
Crown of Thorns isn't ringing any bells, and I don't have them in my iTunes library, so you must not have.

Listened to Poetic Justice - excellent album.  I give it a B+.  But if I bought every B+ album I ever heard....  It's gotta be an A before I consider it purchase-worthy.  Will try Psychoschizophrenia tomorrow.  re-listening to Save Your Prayers atm.  Another solid B+
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #318 on: July 24, 2014, 03:58:21 PM »
Don't know Lillian Axe and I've never checked out Waysted, even though I like Danny Vaughn.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #319 on: July 24, 2014, 04:46:48 PM »
Don't know Lilian Axe at all.  Must.  Check.  Out.

Fuck, do some more albums I already know, will ya???  You're killing us with this "Top 125" shit.   :lol

Yes you must. They were in my top 50, with the same Poetic Justice album. The run from album 2 Love & War, Poetic Justice and Psychoschizophrenia was just awesome. They died a death after that for me. 1st album is ok too.

That Giant album is a classic. Dan Huff is a great player and his voice is great for this music. Made my top 50.

The Waysted is ok but not an album I'm that familiar with tbh.

The AF is not for me.

Crown Of Thorns- 1st album is a cracker- did I not use them in your roulette Chad? Maybe a it was just a rec in the Melodic rock thread. The others not as good but the Voodoo X album was a return to form, although the production is shit.

Not a bad strike rate - fair enough re After Forever...............not for everyone.

Voodoo X did have poor production and is a bit like Raw Thorns , which is also a cracker with poor sound.  Not a return to form though as it was recorded 4 years prior to the CoT debut  :P ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: bl5150's Top 50.........the main event..#26 .....Counts of Tuscany
« Reply #320 on: July 24, 2014, 09:57:14 PM »

#26: Labyrinth: Return To Heaven Denied
Released: July 1998

Tracks
1.    Moonlight   05:43   
2.    New Horizons   06:23    
3.    The Night of Dreams   04:48    
4.    Lady Lost in Time   05:33    
5.    State of Grace   03:08    
6.    Heaven Denied   04:58
7.    Thunder   04:21    
8.    Feel (Cenith X cover)   04:23     instrumental
9.    Time After Time   05:07    
10.    Falling Rain   06:24    
11.    Die for Freedom   07:00    

As I've said numerous times already...when I see something classified as Euro power metal I am always on the defensive , expecting a double kick drumathon with an extra helping of cheese = boredom.  Generally the only way I can get into this style of album is with frequent use of the Skip button , allowing me to just listen to the slower more powerful tracks.  There are really only 2 albums in this style that I would happily listen to from start to finish these days - Stratovarius' Nemesis and this one.  But very different albums they are  

The Strato is heavy , intense and music to rock out to  :metal What comes to mind with this album though is the word “majestic” – it is just beautiful and barely a crumb of cheese in site. And when the double kick is used(regularly) it’s done in a tasteful and often inventive way with frequent changes of pace to keep things from getting boring. I can't over emphasise what an achievement that is in my case....just to retain my interest , let alone the  :heart I have for this album.  It sounds like Fates Warning does Hammerfall at times.

I love Fates Warning but where I sometimes find them a bit too mechanical/ sterile/flat , that’s where this Labyrinth albums succeeds. It has many of the best elements of Fates Warning (including vocalist Tyrant who sounds like Ray Alder ) but with an extra dose of energy ,a production that gives the music room to breathe and a nice combo of prog / power metal elements.  It’s  melodic , majestic, powerful and progressive, yet catchy and there’s not a single dud track on it.  A yummy recipe and yet another album I struggle to find any reference to outside of the most obscure corners of the internet. 

Labyrinth sit atop the family tree of bands like Vision Divine and Rhapsody and I reckon this album is much better than anything from those bands.   They also have some other strong albums themselves but this sits apart from all but the most recent (not coincidentally RTHD Part II ) which is also very strong and sees the return of guitarist  Olaf Thorsen  to the band.   Tyrant and  Thorsen  seem to create magic together but neither are near as strong without the other.  And yes - they were formed in Tuscany  ;)

Favourite Tracks:,State of GraceMoonlight  Falling Rain, Die For FreedomHeaven Denied,

Honourable Mention : Pretty Maids- Jump The Gun .....also known as Lethal Heroes in some countries.  The album that got me into Pretty Maids and still the most consistent from their classic era IMO.  Dan Wexler was involved with this - like the Icon guitar sound Jay? :)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 02:53:39 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: bl5150's Top 50.........the main event..#26......Counts of Tuscany
« Reply #321 on: July 24, 2014, 10:47:58 PM »
Thats the best Pretty Maids album that I've heard from them.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #322 on: July 24, 2014, 11:11:51 PM »
Not sure if I'd take Jump the Gun or Future World, but JTG is awesome, as is most Pretty Maids.

Just listening to State of Grace now, and this is amazing.  Reminds me of a mix of Pyramaze, Black Majesty and yeah a bit of FW too.  Another one to definitely check.  You are pimping some good ass shit man!

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #323 on: July 25, 2014, 04:57:38 AM »
When I saw the title, I was thinking 'what Italian band is it going to be?'  I figured it would likely be power (not prog), but wasn't expecting Labyrinth - that's actually one of the bunch I don't know much about!  You couldn't have highlighted Odd Dimension. Absolute Priority, Pathosray, Secret Sphere, Amaze Knight, Karnya, DGM, Daedalus, Soul Secret, Mind Key, Stargate, or Genius?  That would've saved me yet another album to check out.

And as for Pretty Maids... Kade or JJ recommended Future World and that was the one early era album I got, along with a greatest hits album.  Been picking up everything since 2006 - they're freakin awesome.

2 more albums to listen to today.  :evilmonkey:
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #324 on: July 25, 2014, 07:30:26 AM »
Sorry mate but the minute you hear Moonlight I reckon you'll :drool:

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #325 on: July 25, 2014, 08:04:39 AM »
Sorry mate but the minute you hear Moonlight I reckon you'll :drool:

It's good, but I can't say it wows me any more than any other Italian (or Euro) prog/power metal band. Sure, Rhapsody is the ultimate definition of cheese metal, but others are as good as what I'm listening to.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #326 on: July 25, 2014, 08:13:18 AM »
Ah well , not to me  ;D  This album connects with me where most others don't.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #327 on: July 25, 2014, 12:36:08 PM »
When I saw the title, I was thinking 'what Italian band is it going to be?'  I figured it would likely be power (not prog), but wasn't expecting Labyrinth - that's actually one of the bunch I don't know much about!  You couldn't have highlighted Odd Dimension. Absolute Priority, Pathosray, Secret Sphere, Amaze Knight, Karnya, DGM, Daedalus, Soul Secret, Mind Key, Stargate, or Genius?  That would've saved me yet another album to check out.

And as for Pretty Maids... Kade or JJ recommended Future World and that was the one early era album I got, along with a greatest hits album.  Been picking up everything since 2006 - they're freakin awesome.

2 more albums to listen to today.  :evilmonkey:

You do like your Italian prog/power metal.  :biggrin:

Not heard this Labyrinth. I've heard them but not got anything by them. Sounds good though, will check some out. Its payday today, just don't tell my missus  :lol

Pretty Maids are awesome.. First album I heard was Wake Up To The Real World, which I loved. The last couple were even better. I have the early albums too but not devoted enough time to them yet. Future World was very good.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #328 on: July 25, 2014, 12:45:39 PM »
I never got into Pretty Maids 
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #330 on: July 25, 2014, 02:43:31 PM »

It's never too late  :biggrin:

Motherland and Pandemonium are just awesome

Seconded.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #331 on: July 25, 2014, 04:17:16 PM »

It's never too late  :biggrin:

Motherland and Pandemonium are just awesome

Seconded.

x3.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #332 on: July 26, 2014, 02:04:28 AM »
I've only got Louder Than Ever and Motherland, but like both. I've been meaning to go back through their discography.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #333 on: July 26, 2014, 05:12:04 AM »
Really liked that Labyrinth - agree with all you said in the review. Costing. Me. A. Fortune. Brent.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #334 on: July 26, 2014, 05:54:35 AM »
2nd half of that Labyrinth album was more memorable than the first.  Given my love for Italian power metal artists, I'd been meaning to check them out, and this might go in the purchase-worthy category.

You better get to that top 20, and albums/bands we already know pdq mate.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #335 on: July 26, 2014, 06:48:53 AM »
ok, a bit late but I'm now scoring this for the 1st 20

own - 12/20

heard - 16/20

love - 10/20

I think I have a higher hit rate with the special mentions! They have cost me some cash so far. Not had to buy anything from the main list yet.

The current batch of 10 i have a higher hit rate.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #336 on: July 26, 2014, 07:34:28 AM »
Good to see some love for the Labyrinth  :tup

I think I have a higher hit rate with the special mentions!

I thought that might be the case and is the reason I went to the extra work .  Because I had so much trouble getting the 50 I went for "life impact" which involves quite a number of albums that I really don't fancy as much any more but which were very important at some point in my life.

You better get to that top 20, and albums/bands we already know pdq mate.

On a review of the Top 20 I reckon 16 are gimmes for you guys - the other 4 I'm not as certain of.   :hat   There's only one where I'd say there's a chance of nobody knowing it....Paul spoils a lot of that fun ;)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 07:52:34 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #337 on: July 26, 2014, 10:15:17 AM »
Labyrinth is on The List. Love Vision Divine but have never gone back to check out Labyrinth.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
And just to prove the huge diversity in my taste..............some 70's.  ;D ::) 

#25 The Doobie Brothers: The Captain and Me
Released 1973

Tracks
1."Natural Thing" – 3:17
2."Long Train Runnin' – 3:25
3."China Grove"  – 3:14
4. "Dark Eyed Cajun Woman"  – 4:12
5."Clear as the Driven Snow" – 5:18
6. "Without You"– 4:58
7."South City Midnight Lady"– 5:27
8. "Evil Woman" – 3:17
9."Busted Down Around O'Connelly Corners" – 0:48
10. "Ukiah" – 3:04
11. "The Captain and Me" – 4:53

The first album I ever owned will be featured a little later but this one I was brought up on from toddler stage, so I suppose this comes first.  Of the dozens of records that my dad played while I was a kid , only 4 artists really gained any traction with me -  Chicago , Dire Straits, Eric Clapton and top of the list is The Doobie Brothers.  They’re also  one of many big bands that I enjoyed just as much after a major lineup change that would divide the fanbase.  Because I'm a fogey (but only just) I hit my peak listening years at a time when Pink Floyd was Waters-less , Chicago was Cetera-less, ACDC was Bon-less, Halen was DLR-less and in almost all cases I like both versions of the band , or in some cases  prefer the “non classic” lineup. I really had no attachment at all to the "classic lineup".  And the same goes for The Doobie Bros. One of the few constants across all eras is guitarist Patrick Simmons who I feel is quite under rated as a writer and player.

Obviously the different eras of the Doobies are very different given the background of Michael McDonald and the flavour he brought to the band  - I can appreciate the more rock/funk angle of the earlier stuff  and the more soulful McDonald material.  Both eras are so melodic , catchy and well written that I really enjoy both.  I was very close to making this a tie with Minute By Minute which contains the great title track and What A Fool Believes.

The gong goes to The Captain and Me though , mostly because it has the legendary China Grove and Long Train Runnin but also due to the diversity of sounds.  Everything from the melodic rock of China Grove , the funky rhythms of Long Train Running, the tasty blues soloing in dark Eyed Cajun Woman , the folksy Clear As The Driven Snow , the pedal steel of South City Midnight Lady etc………every track has its identity.   And this came out in 1973 – three years before Boston’s debut which is often heralded as the beginning of classic AOR – China grove might have something to say about that too.  And then there’s Evil Woman which borders on metal for the time.  An absolute  classic and the fact that it sits this high in my hard rock/metal focused list speaks volumes..

Favourite Tracks:  China Grove , Long Train Runnin, Dark Eyed Cajun Woman,Ukiah

Honourable Mention : Michael Thompson Band - How Long -   Silky smooth AOR with session regular Michael Thompson laying down some very tasteful guitar over the distinctive vocals of Moon Calhoun.  Chill out music.  Outro solo lingers a bit on the linked track but that's where most of the guitar work is.

Next up - my favourite metal album of the last 5 years. 
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 10:07:11 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Always quite liked the Doobs.  I have their best of, wasn't any more of a fan than that.  Quality music.

That Michael Tompson was smooth, never heard of him but with some of that guitar playing, he's definitely someone I should check out.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I can't even call myself a 'best-of' fan... I only know about a half dozen songs, the ones that get/got radio airplay - China Grove of course being one of them.  The Doobie's just never struck me as a band I needed to get in to.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
When I was in my covers band a few years back we always played China Grove, and it was actually one of my favs to play, such a killer song.

Offline Lowdz

I can't even call myself a 'best-of' fan... I only know about a half dozen songs, the ones that get/got radio airplay - China Grove of course being one of them.  The Doobie's just never struck me as a band I needed to get in to.

I've never heard a DB song as far as I know. They seem to get alot of respect but I never thoought they would be anything I would be intersted in (edit - just played the links- its fine but not my kind of thing). Played the MTB link. The song nearly sent me to sleep but the solo was good. Didn't mind that  it went on as it was nice. I need a bit more "oomph" in my AOR though.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Doobie's were just your straight 70's classic rock.  China Grove, Long Train Running, Listen to the Music, Jesus Is Just Alright were probably their biggest hits, and maybe Takin' It To the Streets.

EDIT: How could I forget What A Fool Believes.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Along with Black Water, Take Me In Your Arms, Rockin Down the Highway, and Listen to the Music, that's pretty much the extent of my knowledge.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Along with Black Water, Take Me In Your Arms, Rockin Down the Highway, and Listen to the Music, that's pretty much the extent of my knowledge.

I'll put money down you hear the other songs and you'll be like, "I know this as well!"
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

I'll put money down you hear the other songs and you'll be like, "I know this as well!"

Invariably... I was just referring to what I had in my iTunes library.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I'm surprised you just have single songs and not just a greatest hits.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
This write up is going to be a bit of a general love in for a Mr Urban Breed who sings on many of my all time favourite metal tracks   :hefdaddy  - apologies for mentioning a couple of other discs  :angel: 

#24 Trail of Murder: Shades of Art
Released 2012

Tracks
1.    Shades of Art   04:30      
2.    Carnivore   03:58      
3.    Lady Don't Answer   04:38      
4.    Mab   04:09
5.    I Know Shadows   04:30      
6.    Your Silence   05:14      
7.    Higher   03:57      
8.    The Song You Never Sang   03:15      
9.    Nightmares I Stole   04:02      
10.    Child of Darkest Night   04:42      
11.    Some Stand Alone   03:47      
12.    My Heart Still Cries   05:22      

This is one of only three albums released in the last 5 years or so that I feel strongly about in a positive way- the other two being the Shy (#50) and DT12.  First some history behind my  :heart for the eccentric man , urban Breed (yes he likes the first name without the capital letter).

One of my early proggish metal discs was Tad Morose's Sender of Thoughts and it was through my interest in this band that I discovered Mr Breed who arrived later and appeared first on A Mended Rhyme and then another three after that , each one getting a bit better. Even though the music was a bit up and down I knew that with the right material this guy could slay it.  The final Tad Morose disc with him appearing was Modus Vivendi which is the HM below - the link contains one of my all time favourite power metal tracks, but like all the Urban Breed albums pre-2012 they either contained half killer (but what killer  :hefdaddy  ), half filler and/or the production was crap.  In the case of Modus Vivendi it was a bit of both.

The Bloodbound discs he appeared on have better production but are again only maybe a third killer.  Definitely worth checking out though as the good tracks are also faves of mine.  I'm no huge Maiden fan but the Maiden inspired material on Nosferatu is fantastic and the heavier more proggy stuff on Tabula Rasa is cool too.

Some samples of each;

from Nosferatu  :  Nosferatu, Behind The Moon, Metal Monster
from Tabula Rasa  : Take One , Plague Doctor

So , if you can't already tell, I love this guy's voice ..........he has the power and range to match just about any of my favourite metal singers , throw in a bit of Mike Howe sneer and an amazing ability to craft vocal melodies that I find memorable and it was just a matter of waiting for the right material with a good production.  And that's what Trail of Murder delivers.

This disc took a very long time to surface – after leaving behind his gigs with Tad Morose, Bloodbound and later on Pyramaze (never recorded with them) Breed put the band together in 2005 , recorded between 2007 and 2011 , mixed/mastered in 2011 and released in October 2012 – that’s Def Leppard/Boston type speed.   But it was well worth the wait.  There isn’t a weak track on this but faves as linked.  Your Silence brings the best of Conception to mind – likewise Nightmares I Stole and Crimson Glory……..the opening (title) track has a commercial edge but still with plenty of balls.

That this album was released in 2012 and made my top 25 speaks volumes – it is already one of my top melodic metal albums of all time and can only rise up the rankings.  Given the criteria I laid out at the start this is as high as I felt I could place a recent release.  I’ve never really seen it discussed anywhere , so either nobody knows about it or I have crap taste . It brings together Breed with guys who have played with him in past projects (Akerlind, Olsson) and is effectively a Breed solo album.

If you asked me where my current tastes lie when it comes to metal I could almost just hand you this disc.  It’s fresh yet retro , beautiful yet brutal ,heavy yet very melodic,  well produced and another one of those albums with its own (menacing) atmosphere. I’m not one for commenting on lyrics normally but Breed has also done a great job there too– much of is abstract but there’s obviously a lot more thought in it than your average metal album.  I felt so strongly about it after purchasing that I took the time to write an in depth song by song review , something I haven’t done before or since. I won’t repeat that here but I’m sure you get the picture anyway.

Favourite Tracks (where do I start?):  Your Silence, Nightmares I Stole Shades of Art, Some Stand Alone ,Carnivore,, My Heart Still Cries

Much to my surprise the whole album has recently appeared on Grooveshark.

Honourable Mention:  Tad Morose- Modus Vivendi  - as mentioned above.  The linked track "Take On The World" is one of the best power metal songs ever IMO - great combination of heaviness and melody. Shame about the muddy production.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 09:35:16 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: bl5150's Top 50.........the main event..#24.........shades of awesome
« Reply #349 on: July 27, 2014, 09:36:54 PM »
More artists I don't know.