Author Topic: bl5150's Top 50.........TOP TEN ...#1  (Read 71950 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: bl5150's Top 50.........the main event....#35 an old frontier
« Reply #210 on: July 16, 2014, 05:28:16 AM »
Thought it might have been Wild Frontier from the thread title.  COP is classic, but I'll take Wild Frontier over it anyday.

Freight Train Heart is amazing too, love it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #211 on: July 16, 2014, 10:30:08 AM »
Corridors Of Power is fantastic. Made The TAC Top 50 as well. I love Gary Moore.

I'd take After a The War over Wild Frontier though and day of the week.  :)
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #212 on: July 16, 2014, 10:58:54 AM »
A whole lot of awesomeness there.  I love Gary Moore.  I can't tell you how many times I saw Out In The Fields on MTV. That was the only video they played of his with frequency.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #213 on: July 16, 2014, 11:00:12 AM »
I went with the live We Want Moore as my Gary Moore album in my top 50. GM had to be there. He was a big early influence on my guitar playing pre blues and after. Saw him live numerous times too, and on the Wid Frontier tour.
Great choices - I struggle with the production on all those 80s albums but he songs and playing are great. Gary was a legend and I hate that he's gone, especially as he was returning to a celtic -rock sound.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #214 on: July 16, 2014, 03:25:01 PM »
I went with the live We Want Moore as my Gary Moore album in my top 50. GM had to be there. He was a big early influence on my guitar playing pre blues and after. Saw him live numerous times too, and on the Wid Frontier tour.
Great choices - I struggle with the production on all those 80s albums but he songs and playing are great. Gary was a legend and I hate that he's gone, especially as he was returning to a celtic -rock sound.

We Want Moore would make my top 3 Gary albums, amazing.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #215 on: July 16, 2014, 04:06:16 PM »
After the War made my top 50, but any Gary Moore pre-blues (and a lot of that) is awesome. I had the fortune of seeing Gary Moore open for Def Leppard along with Krokus on the tour for Corridors of Power-motherfucking Ian Paice on drums, holy shit-and he blew both Krokus and Leppard away. Top five guitar player for me. Wild Frontier is actually my least favorite 80s Moore album, but since I still love it that doesn't say a lot.  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: bl5150's Top 50.........the main event....#34 twilight symphony
« Reply #216 on: July 16, 2014, 10:31:42 PM »
I must revisit After The War - wouldn't have played it in decades - but I have a feeling it'll have the same effect.   I went into that album wanting and expecting to like it (it even had Ozzy on it  :metal ) and so I even went to the trouble of buying vinyl with a special patch.   And with all that positive anticipation I was still totally underwhelmed.  To me it was missing something , but obviously I'm a bit on my own there.

On with the show............and the mighty Timo Tolkki  ;D

#34 Stratovarius: Fourth Dimension
Released 1995

Tracks

1.   "Against the Wind"     3:48
2.   "Distant Skies"  4:10
3.   "Galaxies"     5:00
4.   "Winter"  6:32
5.   "Stratovarius"  (instrumental)6:22
6.   "Lord of the Wasteland"  6:11
7.   "030366"  5:46
8.   "Nightfall"  5:09
9.   "We Hold the Key"    7:53
10.   "Twilight Symphony"  6:59
11.   "Call of the Wilderness"  (instrumental) 1:30

I don't want to make a habit of having ties , but I'll just note that this was a very close call between what I consider the three "classic" albums - the first three with Kotipelto - Fourth Dimension, Episode and Visions.   The latter two contain some of my favourite songs (Uncertainty, Kiss of Judas etc....) but Fourth DImension has a marginally higher rating , some sentimental value as my first and most played album and it contains the song "We Hold The Key" which is what got me hooked on the band in the mid 90's.  As is already apparent I was having a great time with prog/power metal in the first half of the 90's and it was great to be around to discover bands like this, along with  Symphony X, Angra, Elegy, Vanden Plas etc.... as they were making their mark.  I was late teens and really missing a lot of the hard rock bands that had vanished and this genre was one of the few with some melody and musicianship to keep me happy , and so my tastes started to get heavier.

Fourth Dimension was a transitional album for Stratovarius – Timo Tolkki relinquished vocal duties to concentrate on guitar and the great Timo Kotipelto moved in.  This album was prior to the addition of Jens Johannson on keys and Jorg Michael on drums so this is the only album recorded with this line up . It has one of those covers that I imagine grabbed my eye in the record store too – this was my first Strato album , bought around the time of release.

As is the case with prog metal I have a very small sweet spot when it comes to power metal – I don’t mind well placed use of speed but basically I want epic, melodic music that isn’t some sort of double kick drum clinic and this album delivers that in spades.  There’s  plenty of speed in the opening tracks , but before I can tire of it there’s the laid back but epic Galaxies , the instrumental self titled track and the ballad Winter.   We then get a return to speedy power metal on Lord of the Wasteland.   

If it all stopped there you would have a very good power metal album, but they're just warming up.   Aside from the rather naff attempt at Rage For Order style metal on 030366 , the final few tracks on this album are top shelf.  Epic, beautiful and powerful with my equal favourite Strato track among them (We Hold The key) .  I’ll never forget the first time I played that track to test out a new car stereo – my jaw just about hit the floor.  The keyboards sound a little dated these days but that guitar sound – wow.
As the years went on I continued to buy most of their albums but the strike rate (songs  I like per album) got less and less. Anyway- if you prefer a bit more of the epic and a bit less of the stereotypical power metal speed then I’d recommend Fourth Dimension.

Note that since Tolkki left the band their music has once again become more well rounded and catchy, so my interest has been rekindled and Nemesis in particular is a monster – according to my ratings it's their best ever.  However  I’m focused on the albums that had the most impact on me over a period of time and Fourth Dimension gets the nod.

Favourite Tracks: We Hold The Key , Twilight Symphony, Nightfall, Galaxies

Honourable Mention : Danger Danger- Revolve   Top notch hair metal - a lot of my favourite tracks of theirs reside on other albums but IMO this is their most consistent across a whole album
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 10:55:52 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #217 on: July 16, 2014, 10:50:48 PM »
Back when Tolkki could actually write a somewhat decent song. :lol Not my favourite Strat album, but it's not a bad one.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #218 on: July 16, 2014, 11:34:11 PM »
Whoa, a band I know. Dreamspace is still my favorite Stratovarius album, though.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #219 on: July 17, 2014, 12:29:21 AM »
Episode and Destiny were my favourites of the old albums, but these days nothing can touch Nemesis.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #220 on: July 17, 2014, 12:55:43 AM »
Whoa, a band I know. Dreamspace is still my favorite Stratovarius album, though.

o/

Though Fourth Dimension is pretty good as well. Shame for not mentioning my favourite track though, which would be Lord of the Wasteland.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #221 on: July 17, 2014, 12:59:03 AM »
Episode and Visions are my favourite albums by them, but Dreamspace is great as well. Favourite track here is Against The Wind :metal
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #222 on: July 17, 2014, 01:26:02 AM »
I haven't listened to Stratovarius in a while, but Fourth Dimension is a great album :metal However, I was disappointed when I realized that 030366 is a total Screaming in Digital rip-off :lol

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #223 on: July 17, 2014, 01:30:39 AM »
I was disappointed when I realized that 030366 is a total Screaming in Digital rip-off :lol
I had no idea...that is disappointing. :|

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #224 on: July 17, 2014, 04:51:43 AM »
I had the fortune of seeing Gary Moore open for Def Leppard along with Krokus on the tour for Corridors of Power-motherfucking Ian Paice on drums, holy shit-and he blew both Krokus and Leppard away. Top five guitar player for me. 
Yup, me too. My first concert. June 25, 1983, Cape Cod Coliseum.

Never got into Strats, and definitely not Danger Danger.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #225 on: July 17, 2014, 05:16:09 AM »
Yeah, this was when Tolkki knew what he was doing.  Not one of my favs but amazing Strato.  Probably deserves a revisit from me.  I think a useless bit of trivia is that 030366 is Tolkki's birthdate.

That Danger Danger album made my top 60 I think, it's incredible, one of the best melodic rock albums of this millenium.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #226 on: July 17, 2014, 10:31:11 AM »
I tried, but could never get into Stratovarius.  The one song that did always stick out to me however, was Kiss of Judas.

Never heard anything from this disc.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #227 on: July 17, 2014, 10:37:36 AM »
I tried, but could never get into Stratovarius.  The one song that did always stick out to me however, was Kiss of Judas.

Never heard anything from this disc.

I'd suggest We Hold The Key and Uncertainty among the links I included - if you can't get into those then I doubt much of the rest would be up your alley
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #228 on: July 17, 2014, 11:37:37 AM »

That Danger Danger album made my top 60 I think, it's incredible, one of the best melodic rock albums of this millenium.

Great Danger Danger album. I mentioned it in my top 50 but Screw It is their best for me, even with the cock rock lyrics. Andy Timmons is as good a guitarist as in any hair metal band.

I'm not the biggest Strato fan - I haven't heard this full album but have heard some of the songs on the best of I bought years ago (Chosen Ones? I think). Like with Hammerfall I find the music pretty bland at times and I can't take too much of those kick pedals going 1000bpm all the time. They have some good songs though, and I agree with you about the new version of Starto - much better than Tolkki's latter days.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #229 on: July 18, 2014, 05:04:20 AM »
Guess I better give this Strato a go.  Episode and Fright Night were my first Strato albums, and I wasn't ever to impressed with them.  Someone (Bolsters I think) sent me stuff from Nemesis in my roulette, and WOWZERS!  Loved it.  That's a great album.  Though I continue to give Revolve a spin, Screw It! is also my favorite DD album.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #230 on: July 18, 2014, 05:15:40 AM »
Guess I better give this Strato a go.  Episode and Fright Night were my first Strato albums, and I wasn't ever to impressed with them.  Someone (Bolsters I think) sent me stuff from Nemesis in my roulette, and WOWZERS!  Loved it.  That's a great album.  Though I continue to give Revolve a spin, Screw It! is also my favorite DD album.

Pun intended? :P

Revolve was the first Danger Danger album I heard, but I found it very weak and tame. Later on I found Screw It, which is easily my favourite.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #231 on: July 20, 2014, 08:24:29 AM »
Sorry for the couple of days delay - I was all ready to go but decided to listen to most of the discography of the next artist prior to posting and it's been a challenge. Almost there.

Great Danger Danger album. I mentioned it in my top 50 but Screw It is their best for me, even with the cock rock lyrics. Andy Timmons is as good a guitarist as in any hair metal band.

I'm not the biggest Strato fan - I haven't heard this full album but have heard some of the songs on the best of I bought years ago (Chosen Ones? I think). Like with Hammerfall I find the music pretty bland at times and I can't take too much of those kick pedals going 1000bpm all the time. They have some good songs though, and I agree with you about the new version of Starto - much better than Tolkki's latter days.

Re Stratovarius I agree totally about the drums as I noted and for that reason I would never buy a "best of" from a power metal band as I generally like the songs that their main market don't - the slower, more powerful ones......which is why I prefer Fourth Dimension and Nemesis as there's less of it.

I also understand re Screw It......if you were to ask me to list classic D2 tracks I would immediately go for stuff like Crazy Nights, Don't Blame It On Love, Beat The Bullet etc......I just find maybe 1/3rd of that album redlines on my tackymeter  ;D - being an 80's boy I have a fair tolerance too.  It doesn't even offend me - it more pisses me off that such a great band wasted the opportunity to totally nail it.   And yeah - Timmons is No 1.  I just felt that to make this list I had to be comfortable with an album being more consistent and I think Revolve is.   The only thing I don't agree with in the above discussion is Blob's comment that Revolve is weak/tame.........that would be Stan Bush singing songs about kids toys  ;D

« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 08:43:11 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #232 on: July 20, 2014, 08:26:32 AM »
I also understand re Screw It......if you were to ask me to list classic D2 tracks I would immediately go for stuff like Crazy Nights, Don't Blame It On Love, Beat The Bullet etc......I just find maybe 1/3rd of that album redlines on my tackymeter  ;D - being an 80's boy I have a fair tolerance too.  It doesn't even offend me - it more pisses me off that such a great band wasted the opportunity to totally nail it.   And yeah - Timmons is No 1.  I just felt that to make this list I had to be comfortable with an album being more consistent and I think Revolve is.   The only thing I don't agree with in the above discussion is Blob's comment that Revolve is weak/tame.........that would be Stan Bush singing songs about kids toys  ;D

Hey, that song wasn't even originally written for Transformers, so you shut your whore mouth! :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #233 on: July 20, 2014, 08:28:05 AM »
Holy shit  - how long did that take to get a bite?   :lol  The fastest mouse in the West  :hefdaddy

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #234 on: July 20, 2014, 08:30:00 AM »
:lol That's why they call me Mr Speed. :zydar: :P

And lucky timing. This is the first I've been on the internet for hours.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #235 on: July 20, 2014, 11:29:28 AM »
:lol That's why they call me Mr Speed. :zydar: :P

And lucky timing. This is the first I've been on the internet for hours.

The ladies in Oz tell me that's not why they call you Mr Speed...  :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: bl5150's Top 50.........the main event....#33 ...some psychedelica...
« Reply #236 on: July 21, 2014, 09:46:35 PM »
..............tessen :neverusethis:  Hopefully you guys weren't so easily convinced I'd gone all trippy on ya  ;D    Sorry for the delay - I'll try and have 3 or 4 up in the next 48 hrs.

#33 Threshold: Psychedelicatessen
Released 1994

Tracks
1.     Sunseeker     8:16
2.     A Tension of Souls     7:10
3.     Into the Light     10:02
4.     Will to Give     5:01
5.     Under the Sun     3:05
6.     Babylon Rising     4:32
7.     He Is I Am     5:52
8.     Innocent     4:37
9.     Devoted     7:43

Threshold .............stupid me decided to listen to their whole discography before posting this and I'd forgotten how many albums they'd done and how same-ish a lot of it is.  It was a struggle but I wanted to do it to make sure my tastes hadn't changed drastically and also because I'd noticed a decent amount of discussion on the band on DTF and wanted to be across the whole discography a bit better than I had been. 

I would hazard a guess that most DTF'ers who are fans got into Threshold during the "Mac era" and as is often the case where I've come in a bit earlier than most , my favourite album can  be an outlier.   Among the very few Threshold fans I know , the opinion on Psychedelicatessen is a 50/50 split - it's either considered clearly their best or among their worst.  I obviously come down on the side of the former.

My first Threshold CD was Wounded Land all the way back in 1993 when they were very much an underground prog metal band - it seems they are now much more widely appreciated.  The song Paradox was what got me interested and the more I think about the way I interact with Threshold the more I think that's a good description of the band......a paradox.   

- they are considered prog metal and yet they're just as much melodic rock as they are metal in many ways

- they are considered prog metal and yet have have had no real virtuoso musicians at the forefront.  I would call them a very "tight" band but the lead guitar in particular is intermediate level at best.  They seem to have a knack of creating well structured songs and melodies that can get the audience past this where other bands might not.

- they are considered prog metal and yet while listening to them I rarely feel like or act like  :metal  I'm listening to metal.  On most albums they have a nice, if rather repetitive, power chord rhythm crunch but it's so compressed that it loses much of its heaviness.

- I find almost all of their albums to be pleasant listens with little need for the Skip button but , in many cases, I have no real memory of any particular song or desire to go back any time soon.

As I went through the albums I also saw a lot of parallels to my DT experience over the years.  They started with an album (Wounded Land) that had a few great tracks but was inconsistent and featured a performance from Wilson that's not near his best.  The 2nd album (as listed here) was a huge step up and the third (Extinct Instinct) was just a little bit off that but still a great album.   Psychedelicatessen and Extinct Instinct (the I&W and Awake) , unlike most of the Mac era albums, sound like they mean it , have a edge to the guitar sound and some more unique and thoughtful melodies- they sound like nothing else in the discography.  Psychedelicatessen in particular makes me feel like  :metal  and Extinct Instinct has a couple of songs (Forever and Virtual Reality) that were on constant rotation for a while there.

After Extinct Instinct I continued to follow them intently (as I did DT after Awake) but they gradually lost a bit of what made them great for me with each album - with Threshold they lost their edge , with DT the melodies.   And like DT , Threshold have rediscovered a lot of what I liked about them earlier with their last two albums.   DT have the melodic structures I like again and Threshold (with Dead Reckoning and March of Progress) are rediscovering their edge and Damian's vocals on the most recent release have that feeling back again.

A discussion about Threshold invariably gets to the Mac vs Wilson argument and on paper Mac should get my vote but , aside from the fact that my favourite album features the forgotten Glynn Morgan (the best METAL singer of the lot) , I'd tend to favour Damian Wilson after doing my huge listenathon.     Although he has a nasally tone that I may usually find annoying , and there's the odd song he really doesn't suit , I find that his far more dynamic range and emotion gets him over the line.  Mac has a nice distinct tone but after listening to numerous Mac fronted albums back to back it becomes  a bit of a monotone.  I believe that given the relative simplicity of the music that Threshold need an emotive vocalist and Wilson and Morgan both deliver this.   Mac did push himself once or twice on Clone and Dead Reckoning but it was all too rare for my liking.

Pychedelicatessen is very unique within the Threshold catalogue.  It features the heaviest vocal, a guitar sound that actually sounds  :metal and songs that , to me at least, are far more interesting and varied than most of their other material. I played this and Extinct Instinct to death in my late teens/early twenties(early -mid 90's).  The first linked track was the "single".

Favourite Tracks: Innocent, Sunseeker , Into The Light, Will To Give, A Tension of Souls, 

TAC wasn't happy with my last HM so here's a long distance dedication for you mate   :-*

Honourable Mention : Winger - Pull
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 12:27:38 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #237 on: July 21, 2014, 09:57:34 PM »
I think this is the only Threshold album I don't have.

Pull is amazing too.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #238 on: July 21, 2014, 10:14:52 PM »
Pull is so good.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #239 on: July 22, 2014, 03:11:35 AM »
I do like Threshol;d. They're not a huge favourite or anything, but whilst listening I enjoy them. I like that they're not quite prog metal, not quite power metal. There's more emphasis on the song than most prog metal and the riffs aren't just chugging away on a low B in odd meters like most prog metal.

I've not heard this album and only recently listened to Wounded Land of the early albums, but listening to the tracks now its pretty awesome stuff. I have the last 2 and Hypothetical.

I like the singer. I don't love Wilson's voice -- i think as you say its that nasal factor to it, and I find he sounds a bit condescending. That may be my imagination but I can't escape the thought when listening to him.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #240 on: July 22, 2014, 05:27:08 AM »
I got into Threshold about 3 years ago, but started with the Wilson era stuff, being a huge fan of his.  I'll have to go back and revisit this one, as it's usually the odd man out (literally, with Morgan) in my Threshold listening rotation.  Can't remember the last time I listened to it (according to iTunes, it was February/2013).  I definitely see your point on why they are and are not prog metal - I think their strength is definitely in their writing.  I don't find Mac-era samey at all - pound for pound, those are 5 incredibly solid albums.  No absolute standout songs, but no clunkers either.

And Pull is my favorite Winger album - good choice there.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #241 on: July 22, 2014, 05:37:45 AM »
I'm listening to Extinct Instinct right now, it's incredible.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #242 on: July 22, 2014, 06:04:14 AM »
I like Threshold...a lot. But evidently not enough to have those first few early albums. They are on The List.

And B, Pull THIS, buddy! :biggrin:

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #243 on: July 22, 2014, 06:11:54 AM »
Forgot to say - Pull is a classic album. What happened when hair metal grew up. And it rocks.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: bl5150's Top 50.........the main event....#32 the Ark of Kamelot
« Reply #244 on: July 22, 2014, 06:47:05 AM »

#32 Conception:  In Your Multitude
Released 1995

Tracks
1.     Under A Mourning Star     5:10
2.     Missionary Man     3:40
3.     Retrospect     3:12
4.     Guilt     3:47
5.     Sanctuary     2:57
6.     A Million Gods     7:45
7.     Some Wounds     4:35
8.     Carnal Comprehension     4:22
9.     Solar Serpent     3:56
10.     In Your Multitude     6:39

Before Ark (Ostby)and Kamelot (Khan) they were together in Conception , one of my early favourite metal bands.

Most of the albums in this list have a very unique sound – something missing in a majority of rock and metal releases these days.  Conception were not only an amazing band with a unique sound but with Khan’s unusual (brilliant) voice and Tore’s tone they had a real ability to create an atmosphere all their own.   I’m sure that a few of you guys know what I mean when I talk of “atmospheric” albums that take you back to when you listened to them as a kid...

Anyway ………Khan and Tore Ostby are a real winning combination that I really miss.   Parallel Minds is only marginally behind in my ratings and Flow a bit further back again but both have a number of awesome tracks.  In the end though I feel that In Your Multitude is the most consistent across the whole album. A metal classic as far as I’m concerned.

When Conception gave it away I followed Khan across to Kamelot  and was hugely disappointed in Siege Perilous………….I thought it was absolute shite and that Khan had aligned himself with a bunch of hacks not worthy of his voice.  It must’ve been 7 or 8 years or more before I gave Kamelot another chance and realised what a mistake I’d made ignoring the albums that came later.  I still prefer Conception but Kamelot’s few best with Khan are now firm favourites too.

Sadly both Khan and Tore seem to have all but given it away.  If you like Tore (or DC Cooper) I would also recommend checking out DC Cooper’s solo album which is a bit of an all star affair and another good album... a bit more melodic rock/metal though.  The linked track (see HM below) is by far the most progressive and the "epic" of the album.

Favourite Tracks:  Retrospect , Some Wounds, Solar Serpent, Sanctuary (short ballad), Carnal Comprehension

Honourable Mention : D.C. Cooper - s/t (as mentioned above)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 06:52:45 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au