Author Topic: Star Citizen  (Read 20233 times)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Star Citizen
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2015, 06:40:31 AM »

What you're looking at is a FPS Battle Arena featuring Zero-G combat that will include in the FPS module later this year.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2015, 01:16:42 PM »
I wonder if this would end up running OK on my 270x card and a future i5 4460. Of course, I hope they deliver at least 30% on what they promise, that would be the best game ever.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2015, 04:14:59 PM »
It will indeed be a demanding game if you wanna run everything maxed, it all depends on what the lower graphical threshold will be. My 780 runs the Arena Commander module just fine maxed out but that's of course just a small part. When the first episode of Squadron 42 is out when can have the first indication of what will be needed, still that's only the singleplayer and not nearly as demanding as the persistent universe will be.
Yea they have ALOT to live up to but I do know that they have some amazing talent on board and a big dev team around the world so i'm hopefull that even though not every promise may be fullfilled at launch, the game will grow and be improved upon after launch.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2015, 03:24:33 PM »
Not realated to SC but it's a cool project. The fact that it's as far as I know only one guy working on it makes it pretty amazing.

Limit Theory Development Update #21

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2015, 12:46:04 AM »
During Chris Roberts talk at BAFTA LA he revealed the current schedule for CIG:

2015 will be an exciting year for anyone interested in this game, like me!  :biggrin:

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2015, 05:42:44 AM »
Concept video of how jump points through wormholes will work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfpaOIRl7hM
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 03:14:47 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2015, 05:16:59 AM »
I love stuff like this, when they go into detail about certain aspects about the game. Besides looking forward to the actually game I also enjoy reading and hearing about the developing process. I don't think any game studio ever has been so open and transparent about their game so long before release as CIG. It's really inspiring hearing the passion and creativity the people at CIG has.

Design: mobiGlas

When we started working on Star Citizen, we were trying to wrap our minds around the daunting amount of mechanics and features that would be present in such a rich game universe. Part of the team was tasked with designing character customization and the in-game shopping experience. We were trying to figure out a way to make shopping into something intuitive, immersive and viable in a multiplayer setting with the least amount of edge cases possible.

At that time, we knew very little about the mobiGlas, except that it was going to be the mobile device of the future and that it would be built from a very strong piece of polymer known as Glas. We had a hunch that the answer to our problems rested upon this device.

As we iterated on various ways to create the shopping experience of the future, the first augmented reality (AR) design of the mobiGlas was born, and from that point, it became clear that AR interfaces would be used widely across the game.

We pitched it to Rob and Chris (more than a year ago now). The goal of this concept was to present a unified user interface for Star Citizen. We proposed a personal electronic device that all players have with them all the time. It could be used as the ultimate replacement to traditional game menus and heads-up displays, while staying true to Chris Roberts’ vision of a totally immersive experience where shopping, messaging and customizing is made in a physical way with diegetic interfaces.

Since then, collaborative work between talented individuals has made the mobiGlas grow into the current design, while staying true to its original purpose. The following article is a deep dive into the mobiGlas current design state. We’ll go over the device itself, its uses, and some of the Augmented Reality Systems, as well as an overview of the apps you’ll be using every day.

More details here:
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14466-Design-MobiGlas

mobiGlas AR - In game footage

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2015, 04:57:28 AM »
You live in the UK and wanna have your face in SC? Well here's your opportunity then:

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2015, 05:59:09 AM »
Me and some friends played Arena Commander last night. Pretty cool looking at ships getting demolished:

https://youtu.be/xKQyk1TbaEk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2015, 10:08:45 AM »
ORION Mining Platform:

Such a bad-ass ship! What's cool to know is that this concept was done by George Hull (Jupiter Ascending, Chappie, Elysium, Matrix, Transformers.....)

Here you can read about how mining will work:

DESIGN: THE MINING OCCUPATION

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2015, 08:22:34 AM »

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2015, 04:41:13 PM »
Get hyped for the FPS module being showed this weekend at PAX EAST! Playable demo of two maps will be up and running at PAX tomorrow, right now the presentation is about to start, unfortunately CIG won't live stream it only record it for later upload. You can however follow this unofficial live stream in full blown potato quality:

https://www.twitch.tv/badnewsbaron

I'm very much looking forward to trying out the FPS module because it's the next step that will bring SC closer to what it actually is: First Person Universe.

Edit: It's live!!

Aegis Retaliator Pre-Flight Check
New Damage Model Seriously, amazing!!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 05:49:32 PM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2015, 03:54:22 AM »
Star Citizen PAX East Presentation

2:49 Pun no1
4:12 Old Damage Tech
6:37 New Damage Tech
9:50 Aegis Retaliator Showcase
14:09 Animation update FPS module
21:19 Pun no2/FPS module has got an in-game name: Star Marine
For those who are unaware both the Arena Commander (Dogfighting Module) and Star Marine (FPS Module) are in-game simulations and can be accessed through your hangar in so called simpods.
24:20 Traditional combat
28:37 Zero Gravity combat
40:10 What's next?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 08:03:33 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2015, 06:33:18 PM »
Star Citizen 1.1 is now live!

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14572-Star-Citizen-11-Is-Live

Arena Commander, Star Marine and the sociale module are soon to be merged together with your hangar, starting with AC in 1.1. AC and SM are from now on in-game simulations and will be accesible through a simpod in your hangar. The sociale module will be connected so you can walk to it from your hangar. This is the beginning steps to merge everything together and form the Persisten Universe, so from now on the game will be called Star Citizen 1.1 - 1.2 and so on. Big things are coming this year!!  :)

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2015, 05:43:56 AM »
Star Citizen Idris Frigate greybox preview

You get a glimps of the sheer seize of what some of the bigger ships in SC will be like. The amount of modeling and decoration a ship like this will need to look real is a giant task. That's why some ships takes several months to complete.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2015, 07:45:25 AM »
Don't miss the big presentation tonight if you're interested in SC:

https://www.twitch.tv/starcitizen

Unfortunately i'm at work so i'm missing the damn thing.  :angry: Will have to watch the recap.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2015, 07:09:18 AM »
The next module is now released, which is the so called Social Module.

The first release of Star Citizen’s Social Module is now available on the live server! We would like to thank the thousands of backers who helped stress test this release on the PTU early in the week; now we’re excited to make it available to everyone. You can access the complete patch notes for today’s release, Star Citizen Alpha 1.2, here.

The Social Module represents our first step into Star Citizen’s Persistent Universe. In the coming months, you will begin to see Star Citizen’s formerly-disparate modules come together into our long term vision for the game. Today, you can enter your Hangar, load up Arena Commander and take the elevator to explore ArcCorp with other players. From here, expect to see the universe expand!

Full design post:
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14927-Welcome-To-ArcCorp-Star-Citizen-12-Released

What we have now in terms of modules and how they all will be emerged:

What we should have before the end of this year:

What the full game eventually should have:

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2015, 11:10:27 AM »
Ok so I have seen Star Citizen pop up everywhere from reddit to here. What is released now and what can I get into playing right now?

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2015, 01:29:19 PM »
Ok so I have seen Star Citizen pop up everywhere from reddit to here. What is released now and what can I get into playing right now?
Three very important things before you go any further:

#1 The FULL GAME won't release at the earliest late 2016 but be prepared for 2017 or even 2018!
#2 You pledge for the game right now, that's why ships are expensive BUT once the game is launched you can get everything for FREE in the game. 
#3 The game is being buildt in modules meaning that they have a module for diffrent aspects/sections of the game. All these modules will eventually be emerged into eachother and form what is called The Persistent Universe. Every module that's released now is early Alpha or even pre-alpha. This game is very much in open development so bugs, glitches, server crashes, instability or whatever are to be expected and also things are not optimized at this stage, pure and simple.

If you're still interested keep on reading, if not then that's completely cool. Just let the development period run it's course and come back when the game is near completion.   :)

To get to the point: So far 3 modules have been released to the public and is available to play RIGHT NOW:

The Hangar module
View the ships you bought and your hangar is your starter point once the Persistent Universe goes live. In your hangar you have access and can play Arena Commander and soon also Star Marine through a so called SimPod, think a game within a game. You also have access to ArcCorp through your elevator in your hangar.

Arena Commander 1.0 (Dogfighting Module)
A dogfighting simulation that let's you test the dogfighting portion of the game in diffrent game modes. You can test fly your single seater ship/s in diffrent scenarios and game modes. You also have free flight which let's you fly your ship freely.

ArcCorp (The Social Module)
Lets you visit and explore a landing zone on ArcCorp (planet) and interact with other players as a first taste of The Persistent Universe. You can access this module through your hangar.

The cheapest way to get the game is to pledge for one of the following packages:

AURORA MR AC STARTER
MUSTANG ALPHA AC STARTER

Those packages include:

Arena Commander Pass (Only Beta Access not Alpha!)
SelfLand Hangar
Starting Money: 1,000 UEC
3 Month Insurance
Digital Star Citizen Manual
Squadron 42 Digital Download (The singleplayer campaign of Star Citizen)
Star Citizen Digital Download
Beta Access

****IMPORTANT to get Alpha access you have to buy Arena Commander Alpha Pass for 5 Euro and that's because alpha access is a special perk for early backers.****

Upcoming Modules this year:

Star Marine (FPS Module)
FPS combat simulation that let's you test the FPS multiplayer portion of the game in diffrent game modes including combat in Zero-G.

Arena Commander 2.0
The same as AC 1.0 but with multi-crew ships and a large map.

Nyx (a new planet/location to explore)

I hope I was clear, it's alot to digest!  :)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 04:27:24 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2015, 01:56:22 PM »
I''ll be building a PC in December, and at that point will be looking to get this and watch it develop.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: August 29, 2015, 02:10:14 PM »
Looks really interesting, I have a fairly high end gaming PC but sadly finding the time to game is the issue.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #56 on: August 29, 2015, 06:12:52 PM »
I''ll be building a PC in December, and at that point will be looking to get this and watch it develop.
Cool man! Yea next year is a great time to start follow the game. Alot of the important ground work and engine related problems like moving to 64 bit and double precision have been ironed out this year which means they have scaled up the seize of the world like crazy. The upcoming AC 2.0 will feature a ruffly 2,700 km in diameter large map which will resemble a system in the persisten universe, the current map in AC 1.0 is about 20km across. The large map will also feature large ships and multi crew allowing for friends to mount turrets and other areas on your ship.

Multicrew Demo: LIVE Version

One very important tech is the ability to walk in your ship during flight without rubberbanding which is a big problem in multiplayer games in general. They have solved it nice with the inside of the ship being a seperate instance from the outside or something like that, you can see it a bit in action here.

Looks really interesting, I have a fairly high end gaming PC but sadly finding the time to game is the issue.
Yea I can relate. Luckily there's no hurry getting into the game, I find it extremely interesting to just read about how they solve diffrent tech problems.  :)

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2015, 04:09:38 AM »
Audio update on Star Marine:

https://vimeo.com/138360203

Sounds amazing this early on.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2015, 12:30:33 PM »
Be sure to tune in on their twitch stream if you wanna see the latest from the game. It's live from CitizenCon in Manchester, UK and it's starts in 30 mins:

https://www.twitch.tv/starcitizen

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2015, 03:57:20 AM »
CitizenCon was pretty amazing with some really cool stuff:

Star Citizen: The Story so Far

A flashback on how the company has grown since 2012.

Star Citizen Alpha 2.0: LIVE Demo

A live gameplay video of the biggest upcoming update to Star Citizen yet. This will merge all the modules into the first iteration of the Persistent Universe.

Star Citizen Alpha 2.0: Press Demo

The same but a bit cleaner and without CR talking.

Star Citizen - Star Map

Demo of the web-based ARK Starmap which you can try out right now: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/starmap

Squadron 42: Bishop Senate Speech

The very first glimps at Squadron 42 which is the single player campaign of Star Citizen and seperate game from the Persistent Universe.

The cast: Gary Oldman, Mark Hammil, Gillian Anderson, Liam Cunningham, Ben Mendelsohn,
Mark Strong, Jack Huston, John Rhys-Davies, Rhona Mitra, Andy Serkis.

Squadron 42: Facial Animation Technology

^^Do not miss this video!

Squadron 42: Behind the Scenes

Squadron 42 - Gary Oldman Interview

Squadron 42: The Morrow Tour (LIVE Version)

A live gameplay video although no pew-pew of a segment of the campaign, keep in mind it's a very early demo and lots of features and details are missing. One cool detail is that the entire segment is being played onboard the Idris Frigate which is a ship that you can OWN and FLY in the Persistent Universe although you would need friends/crew or NPCs.

Here's a glimps of the Idris doing a drive by: https://youtu.be/a9rqPp_Cyk4?t=19m52s

CitizenCon 2015: Full Presentation
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 04:48:16 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #60 on: November 20, 2015, 08:17:56 AM »
Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 have finally been released although only for a selected number of the most active players, I think around 1000. In a weeks time it will be on the live build.

Constellation take off:

https://youtu.be/94l8Psq8MY0

• DTF.org Member
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 04:07:04 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2015, 06:12:04 PM »
Hellyeah!!  :metal The time has come for the first public release of Star Citizen Alpha 2.0:

Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 Gameplay Trailer

This is a big step forward for SC because alot of core tech and modules like Dogfighting, FPS, Multicrew and more are mixed into one gamemode which is the very foundation for The Persistent Universe.

Here's what you get:

Open World Missions

- 8 Comm Array missions involving dogfighting and EVA, 8 Research missions involving protecting civilians or recovering lost data and 1 Exploration mission of an abandoned station.
- 20+ Random Encounters – Most are random dogfighting encounters, often with a mix of friendlies and hostiles. 4 are random exploration missions involving finding lost wrecks.

First Person Shooter

- Recharging energy weapons.
- In-game pick-ups including ballistic weapons, ammo and MediPens.
- Player healing.
- Due to the open-world architecture of the Crusader system, FPS combat can occur on space stations, on the decks of ships, or even while engaged in EVA.
- A space station location specifically designed for and dedicated to FPS combat, including many stores and caches of personal weapons.

Spaceflight

- Constant and ongoing skirmishes and space dogfights between Pirate factions and insystem security forces in the Yela asteroid belt.
- Wreckage to scavenge in the Yela asteroid belt.
- Ship Repair, Refuel and Restocking at Cry-Astro.
- EVA – Extravehicular activity.
- Multicrew Ships.
- Multicrew ship gameplay! You’re not tied to your seat, you can walk around inside your ship with friends, and assume different responsibilities at different crew stations, such as ship’s pilot or copilot, engineer, or turret gunner.
- Ship to space transitions.
- Seamless first-person gameplay! Transit between the interior of your ship to outer space and back without any loading screen! Fly, fight, and spacewalk all in the same game.
- Quantum Travel, complete with limited fuel mechanics.
- All non-snub craft have a Quantum Drive that allows them to travel through local space at genuinely 0.2 speed of light.
- Mobiglass Mission and Journal system.
- EMP warfare in the Avenger Warlock.
- Large World tech that allows for extremely large expanses of space to explore without loading screens.
- New IFCS Flight models.
- Ship repair refuel and restock.
- Party system.
- Multi-ship crew stations.
- IFCS Flight Modes – Precision, SCM, and Cruise flight modes.
- Afterburner.
- Ship-to-ship EMP and disruption damage.

Locations

- 1 planet: Crusader.
- 3 moons: Yela with its asteroid belt, Cellin with a station and Daymar with a station.
- 3 distinct stations: Port Olisar (The new local shipping hub, a space hotel players get their start in), Security Post Kareah (our FPS PvP location), Covelex Shipping Hub (Abandoned shipping hub, acting as an EVA exploration location for players).
- 1 Cry-Astro repair and restock station.
- 9 Comms Arrays with encounters, missions and EVA exploration.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2016, 02:03:19 PM »
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 08:10:18 PM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2016, 08:11:39 PM »
The Starfarer was released yesterday and this version is newer than the tour video. Here's a demo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7cWxn2yBzk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2016, 03:01:54 AM »
The tech behind damage states of large Capital Ships and in this case the final state:

Behind The Scenes: Catastrophic Damage of Capital Ships

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #66 on: August 22, 2016, 10:04:45 AM »
Star Citizen just had a big week at Gamescom with lots of new info but mainly these two where in the centrum:

The upcoming patch

and what's coming at the end of the year

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: August 22, 2016, 11:01:52 AM »
This past gamescom footage I think has finally made me interested in this game. I was thinking of finally getting into the game once my new build is done.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #68 on: August 22, 2016, 11:09:11 AM »
The game has always interested me but I am not a fan of the pricing they've went with, I don't know if they'll keep that when it's released or is it just for the pre-ordering bonuses but it feels like p2w. I really hope they pull off the massive multiplayer idea they have, this is a truly giant scale especially with such fidelity and even though the videos they show are amazing I am still skeptical that such thing can be done well today, feels like they are ahead of the times a bit.

They really need to fix the FPS issues too :)

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #69 on: August 22, 2016, 12:26:25 PM »
Yes the ships are expensive but that's for those who wanna support the game development with various pledges. For $56 you get everything you need for the persistent universe including a starter ship. Once the game launches you have the ability to buy all ships for in-game money.

Regarding the pay 2 win argument it's debatable but for me atleast I don't play this game to win because there's no end game. All the ships have diffrent roles for diffrent professions and needs so you can't really say one ship is better than another. It's entirely dependent on your needs and what you wan't from the game.
If you're a solo player and you have a big ship like the Starfarer that needs a crew of 7 remember you have to hire a crew of NPCs or hire players for money in order to crew all the stations on the ship. If you fly the ship yourself you're a sitting duck in space.
One F7C-Super Hornet with a pilot and gunner can easily take down a Starfarer that's not properly crewed.

They really need to fix the FPS issues too :)
Yea it's an on going issue that hopefully will be better once they implement their new netcode solution. At the moment the game runs above 60fps in singleplayer so it's not entirely the lack of optimisation in MP even though that of course would help alot, it's more all the data streaming that's though for the clients and server.