Author Topic: Star Citizen  (Read 20230 times)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Star Citizen
« on: June 19, 2014, 05:26:51 AM »
I thought I start a thread for backers and people interested in this game. It's a hugely ambitious game with a targeted full release sometime in 2016.

What is Star Citizen:

Star Citizen is an upcoming space trading and combat simulator video game for Microsoft Windows and Linux. Star Citizen will consist of two main components: first person space combat and trading in a massively multiplayer persistent universe and customizable private servers, and a branching single-player and drop-in co-operative multiplayer campaign (known as Squadron 42). The game will feature Oculus Rift support.

Both Star Citizen and Squadron 42 are set in a 30th-century Milky Way centered around the fictional UEE (United Empire of Earth), an analogue of the late Roman Empire. A central theme of the game is citizenship (or lack thereof) in the UEE, which must be earned through player actions (such as completing a period of military service). It is anticipated that Citizens will enjoy certain in-game benefits, for example paying a reduced tax rate or having easier access to interspecies trade, but the exact details are yet to be determined.

Star Citizen is currently being developed by Chris Roberts' Cloud Imperium Games, founded in 2011. Roberts' previous works include games such as Wing Commander, Wing Commander: Privateer, Starlancer and Freelancer.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/about-the-game

Beware of wall of text about the game! I have highligted and added interesting facts from this post: https://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=830383

The development plan for Star Citizen

Star Citizen is being developed in a concurrent (meaning separable aspects will reach dev milestones at different times) fashion rather than a linear (as in alpha > beta > release) fashion, and as certain aspects reach a shareable quality they will be released in modules that will each be continually iterated upon leading up to the full release. Each module will be available to backers with alpha access. New backers will be able to buy tokens to each alpha module separately when they are in a state capable of supporting more players entering testing.

Hangar Module [August 29th, 2013]
Walk around your starting hangar and view the ships you have purchased. As ships and hangars reach a presentable state they will be added to the hangar. Testing access is not required to access the hangar, but a game package is.

The Hangar Module is the basis of the Dogfighting Module, when you start Star Citizen you can still look around your ships if you choose not to put on the helmet and enter Arena Commander.

Dogfighting Module [June 3rd, 2014]
Enter the VR "Arena Commander" arena-mode simulator with any available ship you have access to. This milestone release is the core essentials of Star Citizen's ship to ship combat system, encapsulated in a traditional small scale arena game format with specific maps and accompanying gametypes. This special arena mode will eventually be a part of the SC persistent universe, as a VR sim system, that can be accessed for tournaments, training, and the like, but is not representative of experiences to be found elsewhere in the game.

Arena Commander V0.8 Launch Trailer
Currently: Version 0.8 is available for backers but will gradually be updated into version 1.0 by adding more ships and multiplayer access.
Arena Commander version 1.0 Single seater ships
Arena Commander version 2.0 will add Multi crew ships [end of 2014]

Arena Commander Game Modes:
Singleplayer Free Flight
Vanduul Swarm - Singleplayer vs AI
Battle Royale - 8 Player FFA Deathmatch
Squadron Battle - 4v4 Multiplayer Team Deathmatch
Capture the Core - 4v4 Multiplayer Team CTF

Maps:

Broken Moon of Taranis

Dying Star of Pyro

Gameplay videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMhKrA0MjH8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6Wf5rhimaA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ullfnNrWM6A

Upcoming modules:

FPS Module [Reveal at PAX Australia]
Board ships and engage in firefights with combatant ship crews. Introduction of Zero-G combat

Planetside Module
Travel to the surface of planets to socialize with other players and visit the NPCs, businesses, etc that populate the environments.

Squadron 42 [First episode around Q3-Q4 2015]
Branching single player missions (Dark Souls/Journey-like online co-op component), in which you enlist in the UEE military in hopes of making it into Squadron 42, a team of the most elite pilots of the UEE military. Squadron 42 will be released to backers episodically but will be one continuous story that will be finished and released in whole for SC's live release.

This campaign is a prequel to the time of the persistent universe. Playing through SQ42 with a character you intend to continue using will have consequences, eg if you served the military well you will be offered UEE citizenship status, and you can build relationships with NPCs to learn of or gain access to things in the PU. The campaign can be played at any time but will not affect your PU experience unless a new character is created that then goes on to enter the PU.

Squadron 42 - Full Cinematic Trailer (Old video from 2012)

Persistent Universe Module [available for backers by the end of 2015, with a full release sometime in 2016]
The primary component of Star Citizen, the PU is the open galaxy for you to explore, you create your own gameplay with the tools you find. One 'server' will host everyone playing the game. After the PU has been released and stabalized for alpha testers, SC will be made available for beta testers.

Live Release [Targeted release Q3-Q4 2016]
Initial release version available for purchase. Continued support is planned, with updates on a projected ~two week cadence delivering new content, progressing the living story of the universe, and improving the game in addition to paid expansion packs to the single player campaign at some points.

Links:
Robert Space Industries - Star Citizen's official site; new lore and updates are released daily and each dev branch at CIG has a thread on the forums for you to interact with them
About the Game - An intro to Star Citizen
RSI Youtube - CIG team interviews and game content. Wingman's Hangar is a weekly series produced by CIG with news about the game, Wednesdays at 17:00 gmt
Star Citizen FAQ
What makes up a ship? - Overview of the components of the ships in SC, how their individual components function and interact
The SC Economy - An overview of some of the in-game economic systems
SC Ship Stats - Listing of all available technical specifications for the ships in SC

Community supported links:
SC Wiki
Galaxy Map - known position and information of the systems in SC
SC Economy - Compilation of knowledge about how the economic/crafting/upgrade systems will work in SC

My personal reasons for supporting this project:

#What kid didn't dream about exploring the universe in a game. This is the kind of game I always wanted but at the same time knew it was to difficult to make.

#There is no major publisher pushing the development. This game is 100% crowdfunded by fans that wanna support the game development. They started as a kickstarter campaign and have up to this point raised $47 million wich to me is mind boggling in a time were most people are highly critical about what to spend their money on. I guess that tells something about the quality of the project and that people really wanna see this project come to life.

#They are not going for a pay-to-win model. You pledge to the project by buying ships and items from their store if you wanna support the project but once the game is released you can't do that anymore. You are able to earn all the ships in the game without buying anything. You do that by playing the game and earn UEC (In game currency).

#I have followed this project for about a year now and one thing is clear to me. Chris Roberts and the dev team is extremly passionate about this project and constantly share updates on what they are doing.

#The modular releases is a brilliant move because the backers can get a glimps of the game and at the same time the devs have the opportunity to bug test and get feedback from the community and sort out all kinds of problems before they go on to the next module. Not to say they aren't working on modules simultaneously. 268 people are working on the game devided into 3 main studios (Austin, Los Angeles and Manchester) and two external studios (Montreal and Colorado) and they all handle diffrent elements of the game.

Manchester works on the Single player campaign (Squadron 42)
Los Angeles focus on combat elements.
Austin and Montreal develops the Persistent Universe and Planetside action.
Colorado are working on the FPS sections of the game.

#The sci-fi sim genre is on an up-swing at the moment with alot of other cool games like Elite: Dangerous and No man's Sky. So it's an exciting time for sci-fi gamers.

End my rant with some cool in-fiction commercials:
MISC Freelancer
Origin 300i
RSI Aurora
Anvil Aerospace Hornet F7C
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Star Citizen
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 06:50:30 AM »
I read about this a while back, I was aware that this guy was raising money through kickstarter for a new game and I'm very excited since I played Freelancer and it is by miles the best star Shooter/Trading game
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 09:34:57 AM »
Two of my first PC games I ever played was Wolfenstein 3D and Wing Commander on my parents old 486. I played those games to death, I even think I have the old box left for WC somewhere. I never played any of his other games weirdly enough. Back then I didn't care who developed the game so I never followed the series or his other games. So it was a bit of a surprise when I found out about SC and that the guy behind it was responsible for one my earliest gaming memories.

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Cable

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 08:48:53 PM »
I was going to say MrBoom (skimmed but didn't see it), shouldn't a reason of yours to like this game was playing some of the WCs!?

You have played WC3,WC4 and/or WC:Prophecy right?

Yeah, Chris was silent for so long, so to find out about this was great. My guess is he was trying the full movie thing for awhile behind the scenes, but I haven't seem he say anything.

This thing just seems astounding the amount of attention, and detail that is being put in. And the amount of $ is becoming close to an A or AAA title now.
---

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 01:11:05 AM »
I suppose your right, should have mentioned that. Given the impact it had on me it deserves to be a reason.
I haven't played the original WC for over 20 years though and sadly I didn't followed up the series. I didn't have my own PC until much later so I got lost on track with the games. Haven't play any CR games since, not even Freelancer which I heard good things about.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 02:58:59 PM »

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 04:52:44 AM »
A sneak peek at the upcoming Asteroid Hangar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU9kVyG6QWQ

Epic when you see the ships in comparison. Just for reference the big ship is called The Constellation and it's 55.4m in length.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 06:02:45 AM »
Anyone know if this will be Mac compatible eventually?
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 04:04:43 AM »
Yes they are planning a version both for OSX and Linux.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 01:57:48 PM »
Ship scales:

FYI the Terraformer in the background is in the Arena Commander alpha. It's freakin huge but I didn't know it was that big.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 08:21:52 AM »
Some cool pics of the M50:

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2014, 05:08:24 AM »
Here's a high-res gif of the M50:

https://www.gfycat.com/GloomyIcyCapeghostfrog

It's all in game footage from the hangar module! Anything uploaded on YT will be locked at 30fps so this is a good way of showing the actual crispy look in 60fps.

• DTF.org Member

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2014, 03:27:20 AM »
Multicrew ships are something they are working on which of course are an important part of the persistent universe. To have your friends walk around on the same ship in mp is not an easy task, it's filled with technical difficulties from a dev standpoint. Here's an early tech demo showcasing their progress:

https://youtu.be/L4UR5HRM5Us

Looks awesome!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2014, 02:21:41 PM »
Arena Commander V0.9 have been released!  :metal

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14143-Arena-Commander-V09-Released

# Two new flyable ships: M50 and 350R

# New designs of the hangars + the new Industrial Hangar.

# Two new game modes (Racing + Vandul Swarm Coop)

# 1 new map (New Horizon)

# Lots of game improvments

Commercial for the M50

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2014, 02:06:51 AM »
Seize comparison for the new Aegis Reclaimer:

Aegis meaning the ship manufacturer Aegis Dynamics and Reclaimer the ship name. The Reclaimer is the large ship in the back next to the Constellation and it's the rear-end you see.

Here's the front:

Here's some shots from the Constellation itself to get some perspective:

Here's a walkthrough of the Constellation.
Trailer

Constellation is 60m in length
Reclaimer is 158m in length

One of the next ships in line is the Idris-M which have a length of 238m:

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2014, 06:16:20 AM »
CitizenCon was held last night which meant some new content and info from CIG.

Here's the commercial for The Cutlass:
Live To Your Own Beat: The Drake Cutlass commercial

Three versions have been confirmed Cutlass Red (Search & Rescue), Cutlass Blue (Police) and Cutlass Black (Militia/Patrol).

An early demo on how landing on planets will be handled in the Persistent Universe:
Persistent Universe / Planetside Demo

Everything you see is in game btw and the city and planet you see in the demo is called Stanton. Here's an unofficial galaxy map of mentioned planets so far:

https://leeft.eu/starcitizen/

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2014, 05:11:28 PM »
Some seize comparison of a few ships. The 3 largest ships in the picture are the Constellation, 890 Jump and Reclaimer which is the biggest.

Now the Constellation is huge with lots of room inside yet it's 100m shorter than the Reclaimer. It's to big to fit in any Hangar so it will dock outside instead.

Walkthrough of the Constellation Aquila

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2014, 03:08:24 AM »
A more smooth demo of the atmospheric entry and planetside module:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-xvCg8CI9U

A few things to note this is just a demo of their idea behind atmospheric entry on a planet. It's not even alpha it's only a small concept segment but it's still highly detailed which is why it's so cool.

Every planet will have a automatic landing system that will guide you down and this is mainly because it's not possible to model 100+ planets as detailed as they want. So instead you will have a landing port on every planet with shops, bars and other social things.
They are working on procedurally generated planets which means certain planets with only terrain might have manual landing, it's a future goal.

Some other things in the demo is the ability to walk in your ship during flight which is a thing they have been working on. That will also include walking with other players and NPCs in multiplayer which is a tricky thing, anyone that have experience with moving vehicles that glitch forward in games knows why. You simply can't have that if your gonna have a crew of 10 people in your ship that all glitch around like crazy so they are working on a really interesting solution to that.

Star Citizen is a huge project so it could be quite interesting to see some behind the scene footage and progress updates. So here's some videos from all their studios around the world:

Austin Studio Update
Turbulent Studio Update
BHVR Studio Update
Santa Monica Studio Update
Foundry 42 Studio Update

It's pretty cool seeing the game slowly coming together step by step.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 03:21:42 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2014, 05:15:49 AM »
I don't want you thinking no one is reading.

Your enthusiasm and posts have got me and my 10 yr old son interested  :tup

Look forward to hearing more
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2014, 05:37:27 AM »
Ah that's awesome man!  :)

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2014, 08:42:15 AM »
A fan have made an excellent manual on everything Star Citizen. It's a massive 150 page manual with just about everything we know about the game so far so if you have questions or have doubts or just interested in Star Citizen, this is something for you.

The BIG Star Citizen Admire's Manual V2:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46095085/The%20BIG%20Star%20Citizen%20Admirer%27s%20Manual.pdf

Source if you have doubts about the link:
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/192638/the-big-star-citizen-admire-s-manual-v2-150-pages-and-32k-words-of-almost-everything-star-citizen/p1

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2014, 12:28:12 PM »
Anyone interested in this game should look forward to next week. During PAX Australia they will finally reveal the long awaited FPS module of Star Citizen. The FPS module have been seperatly worked on by another team called REDACTED for a couple of month and basically nothing have been revealed about it so it's very exciting to see what they're up to.

One aspect that i'm very stoked about is Zero-G combat.

They're doing an AMA on Reddit right now for anyone interested:

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2k7kuu/we_are_the_star_citizen_fps_team_ask_us_anything/

Some answers that got me pumped:

geofurb 6 poäng an hour ago
What kind of gadgets will we have to work with?

SC-FPS-Team 17 poäng 51 minutes ago
tons, holograms, claymore like objects, personal healing, drills for doors/vents, shields, grenades, trip wires... the gadgets will really expand and offer a ton of ways to customize your strategy.

geofurb 14 poäng an hour ago
Will we see a parkour system for climbing over obstacles smoothly?

SC-FPS-Team 34 poäng 59 minutes ago
Its very limited, we don't want players to be these amazing gymanstic performers, it goes against the immersive feel of the world!

BigUptokes 3 poäng 27 minutes ago
No Zero-G fun then?

Zazzerpan 0 poäng 10 minutes ago
There is Zero G but that's different form Parkour. You can already get out of your ship and float around a bit, use 'b' to turn on your magnetic boots and snap to the surface of objects. Apparently (judging from past monthly reports) they've spruced it up a bit for the FPS module.

SC-FPS-Team 11 poäng 14 minutes ago
There is tons of Zero-G fun! From thrusters to pushing and pulling your way around the environment and even walking along walls/ceilings

SkilletTrooper 6 poäng an hour ago
If an airlock is breached, will the vacuum in the ship begin pulling unrestrained items out of the airlock, including players?

SC-FPS-Team 3 poäng 21 minutes ago
you better believe it! This introduces many mechanics. If an attacking team doesn't want to deal with them, you can also latch onto a ship and create a tunnel between your ship and the enemies, which will allow for a smooth transition.

Beer4TheBeerGod 40 poäng an hour ago
Can you provide an example of the kind of gameplay experience you're looking for? Maybe a description of what an encounter between two players might be like in terms of lethality, weapons used, moves used, length of play, etc?

SC-FPS-Team 113 poäng an hour ago
there are so many. lets just pull one randomly from the sky.
A Persistent Universe experience. I'm a stealthy, solo player. I find a wrecked ship, i know scavengers will be around soon. I find a crate and put myself in it. I let the scavengers take the crate and put me in their ship. When i'm on their ship, some time later, i get out of the crate. Very quietly, i rummage around and find some goodies i like. I steal those... now i can either - A) Jump out the airlock and call a ride or B) go to their engine room and self destruct their ship or C) quietly hunt and execute the entire staff and take their ship.... or Z) they could have scanned the crate properly before loading it, blasted it with their ship and me with it....

p4p3rth1n 367 poäng 4 hours ago
Will you be able to damage a ships systems from the inside intentionally or non-intentionally?

SC-FPS-Team 386 poäng 4 hours ago
Absolutely!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 03:17:48 PM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2014, 06:52:21 PM »
Only 9 hours to go! Very excited for this, it's an important next chapter for Star Citizen!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2014, 03:53:51 AM »
Soon it will begin!

https://www.twitch.tv/starcitizen

Edit: aaaaand the stream crashed!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 04:04:10 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2014, 01:08:54 PM »
FPS module revealed:

https://youtu.be/cir3w-wIx9U?list=LL4_z5MyLieFskFPIRs9xUPg

It's from the stream so the quality is not perfect but it still looks awesome.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2014, 07:11:25 AM »
For anyone that didn't know, because Star Citizen is such a huge project it's being developed in modules that being handled by diffrent studios around the world. The diffrent modules handles diffrent areas of the game such as Dogfighting module (Arena Commander), FPS Module, Planetside Module and Social Module and all these modules will eventually be morphed into the Persistent Universe which will expand even after the full release. The single player campaign which is called Squadron 42 is also being work seperatly.

The diffrent studios are:

Manchester (Foundry 42) works on the Single player campaign (Squadron 42)
Los Angeles (CIG = Cloud Imperium Games) focus on combat elements.
Austin and Montreal (Behaviour Interactive) develops the Persistent Universe and Planetside action.
Colorado (Former REDACTED now Illfonic) are working on the FPS sections of the game.

They're also some other studios helping with the project for example they have a dedicated team from Crytek that's constantly working on their customized CryEngine 3.

Here's some visual updates on the diffrent modules. All the pictures are from live demos and are fully working in engine.

Arena Commander:

FPS module:

Planetside module:

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2014, 04:25:12 AM »
Every ship in Star Citizen will feature damage states. Here's some examples of what that will look like:

https://youtu.be/XsgysN70OQI?t=2m20s

https://youtu.be/3xDePLnLBvc

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2014, 03:53:17 PM »
Just some cool concept artwork from a ship called Carrack. Star Citizen has some really talented concept artists.

https://gurmukhbhasin.com/star-citizen

Behind the scenes of designing the Carrack:

https://youtu.be/-cAOLoX1K6U

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2014, 12:13:51 PM »
One aspect of Star Citizen that I really look forward to is the ability to crew your ship/frigate with your friends or NPCs in a Star Trek kind of way:

Here's some updates from Chris Roberts regarding multi-crew ship, it's a good read:

MULTI-CREW SHIP SYSTEMS

Can space be more fun with friends? We think so, and we aim to prove it. In gaming, the traditional space sim storyline pits the player against the galaxy. Sure, Colonel Blair had some wingmen … but when it came time to take on the Kilrathi, he was always in the driver’s seat. But now think back to your favourite film or television series: whether it’s the straight-laced crew of the Enterprise exploring strange new worlds or scruffy Browncoats struggling to keep Serenity in the black, great stories spring from Human interaction. Mowing down an alien armada by yourself is a lot of fun … but imagine taking Luke’s seat on the Millennium Falcon, fending off TIE Fighters with the turret while your buddy plays Chewie and tries to repair the hyperdrive.

That’s exactly what the team at Foundry 42 has been charged with replicating in Star Citizen! For Squadron 42, Chris Roberts asked us to develop a system that naturally encourages cooperative play and promotes teamwork rather than forcing anything specific on the player. Like every aspect of Star Citizen, it needs to be immersive, it needs to be engaging … and it needs to function beyond our particular piece of the puzzle. The multi-crew systems we premiere in Squadron 42 will go on to appear throughout the Star Citizen world!

Coming up with this system has been a major task for our designers. We are aiming for a very particular ‘sweet spot’: multi-crew ship positions that are both fun AND that make sense in the Star Citizen world. Some positions are easy: flying a ship will always be fun, manning a turret is great … but how do we find something real and important and fun that will encourage players to want to serve as navigators or engineers?

After a lot of research and a lot of thinking (and credit where credit is due: a lot of Star Trek viewings and team games of Artemis Bridge Simulator) we’re excited to share with you our plan. As with every design post, this information represents our current thinking, not necessarily the final details. We’re beginning to implement these systems as we look forward to Squadron 42 Chapter 1 and Arena Commander 2.0 … and like everything else in the game, they will be tweaked and improved as we see them in action and get real player feedback.

We’ve put this post together largely in response to backer questions about the Carrack. The specific answer to the ongoing question is that yes, you can operate a Carrack by yourself using the control system outlined below… but that we believe that it will be significantly more fun for users of such larger ships to take on the galaxy with friends.

Overview

When we first envisioned the concept of crew stations for capital ships, we thought they could easily be adapted for multi-crew ships. However it soon became apparent that the crew station actions available to a capital ship might be too involving for one of the smaller multi-crew ships, so we split the ships into three categories.

Ships such as the Hornet or 300i, would retain the single-pilot HUD similar to what you see in Arena Commander now (note that different manufacturers will have different style HUDs). This system is geared towards helping the pilot to make quick adjustments on the fly which is perfect for when you’re dogfighting or weaving through an asteroid field! However on larger ships you may have additional crewmembers who will be able to make adjustments and tweak to your ships systems with greater fidelity.

Capital ships such as the Javelin will require multiple players (or NPCs) to run all the various ships systems, man turrets and even perform tasks such as reloading torpedo bays or repairing power relays. As there are far more weapons and ship components to manage, the station interfaces need to be more complex and therefore require each crew station to be dedicated to a single action, at least for the first iteration.

However, with multi-crew ships such as the Retaliator, Freelancer or Constellation, we needed to approach the concept of stations a little differently. You, the fans, expressed an interest in being able to fly your multi-crew ships solo as well as having the option to invite friends to man the various support stations and turrets. Therefore we decided that you should be able to fly a multi-crew ship solo, having access to the same management system seen on the HUD of any single-pilot ship. However, should you want to invite your friends along to help manage your ship, you could access additional crew support stations, giving you a little more control over the ships’ various systems. In brief, multi-crew ships needed to be entirely more flexible than either single-seat or capital ships.

Crew Stations

Crew stations are the physical object that you interact with – a console that you either sit down or stand up at to perform your duties. These stations will have a single, fixed-ratio screen where the management UI, or “action,” is displayed. Keeping the screen a fixed size is important as it allows us to use the same UI across all ships and stations without having to reinvent the layout every time.

The screen itself will be similar to the holo-table in the hangar, in that information is displayed and updated in real-time in the game world allowing others to view your performance. This is good for the captain or commander, who make sure you’re not playing Galaga, and for you as you’re logged on to the station, as they you will be able to view any action on the bridge without necessarily having to exit your station.

Read more here:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14354-Letter-From-The-Chairman-Multi-Crew-Ship-Systems

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2014, 02:05:54 PM »
Wanna get hyped, here you go:

https://youtu.be/INS_YZl85rQ

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2014, 05:42:28 AM »
I really have just been browsing this thread from time to time, but really like where this game seems to be going. Not sure if my PC will be able to handle it (likely not), but whenever I get my next computer I'll likely pick this up. Who knows, might even have a new PC by the time this is out.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2014, 06:08:16 AM »
I really have just been browsing this thread from time to time, but really like where this game seems to be going. Not sure if my PC will be able to handle it (likely not), but whenever I get my next computer I'll likely pick this up. Who knows, might even have a new PC by the time this is out.
Glad you enjoy what you see and hear. It's shaping up to be one mammoth of a game. It will be demanding that's for sure but as you say it's atleast 2 years before we see the full release so there's no need to upgrade or anything right now. To give a reference the Arena Commander in it's current state runs really good with my 780, it's of course only a small segment of the game but for an early alpha build it's really well optimized.

If you have questions or just wanna now more about SC the best way is to check out this fan manual, it's pretty amazing:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/192638/the-big-star-citizen-admire-s-manual-v2-150-pages-and-32k-words-of-almost-everything-star-citizen/p1

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2014, 12:43:34 PM »

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2014, 06:53:12 PM »
Arena Commander 1.0 is here! Today’s release marks the most significant update to Arena Commander yet, adding both the long-awaited lobby system and more than tripling the number of flyable ships. Every variant of the Aurora, Mustang, 300 and Hornet are now flyable, as are the base models of the Cutlass and the Avenger. If you’ve been waiting to fly one of Star Citizen’s single-seaters, there’s a good chance your ship has come in today!
:metal

Consolidated Outlands Mustang Commercial

Imagine: Star Citizen
This trailer is made by a fan in collaboration with CIG. CIG reached out to him because of a fan trailer he made and asked if he would be interested in making a similar trailer but with official game assets. Pretty damn cool of them to do that.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 07:00:46 PM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »