Author Topic: Calling all database and IT people.  (Read 1038 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Calling all database and IT people.
« on: June 18, 2014, 07:04:16 AM »
Hoy mates. My work wants me to get Oracle (11g) certified by the end of the year. Are there online practice tests anywhere that reflect the actual exams and don't cost $100?

Thanks!!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Calling all database and IT people.
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 07:16:21 AM »
They want you to add a specific skill for your job that they employ you for, and they aren't paying for it?  That's ridiculous.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 07:20:05 AM »
They want you to add a specific skill for your job that they employ you for, and they aren't paying for it?  That's ridiculous.

They reimburse the cost of the exams once I pass, but I don't believe practice exams are covered as they aren't considered essential for certification.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 02:33:47 PM »
Oracle?  I don't know about certification, but we use Oracle.  I'd start with punching yourself in the nuts five times a day for a week.  Each successive week, up the number by five, until you're at fifty.  You'll then be ready to deal with anything Oracle related, as it is a GIGANTIC pain in the nuts.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 05:11:36 PM »
Non-relational databases.

Hadoop. MapReduce.

I said Hadoop.

(Sorry, just had to :lol . A few years back my company was hiring big time, and those words were in just about every resume we got, no matter whether the person had used it or not)
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline dparrott

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 09:40:36 AM »
Oracle?  I don't know about certification, but we use Oracle.  I'd start with punching yourself in the nuts five times a day for a week.  Each successive week, up the number by five, until you're at fifty.  You'll then be ready to deal with anything Oracle related, as it is a GIGANTIC pain in the nuts.

:lol  Sure glad we use MS SQL Server then.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 09:41:42 AM »

It's all equally miserable.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 01:39:14 PM »

It's all equally miserable.

Not even close, actually.  MS SQL Server is much, much less complex.

Unless you are extremely well-versed in SQL, I'd be very surprised if you can achieve Oracle certification in less than 6 months.