Author Topic: Tips for playing less sloppy on a part in TDOE?  (Read 792 times)

Offline Sourcegamer101

Tips for playing less sloppy on a part in TDOE?
« on: June 17, 2014, 10:27:53 PM »
I'm trying to do a bass cover of The Dance of Eternity on my 6 string bass, however, there's this one part that goes like:

S S S S S S S S S S S S      E  E  E  E        S S S S S S S S
-------------------------------------------|--------7-3--------|
---------4-4-4-------4-4-4------4--5-----|------6-----4------|
-------------------------------4--------3--|----5---------5----|
--2-2-2--------2-2-2----------------------|--4-------------6--|
-------------------------------------------|--------------------|

S S S S S S S S S S S S   E  E  E  E        S S S S S  S S S 
-----------------------------------------|--7-----------------|
--------4-4-4-------4-4-4-----4--5-----|----6---8----------|
-----------------------------4--------3--|------5---9--------|
--2-2-2-------2-2-2---------------------|------------10---9-|
------------------------------------------|---------------8---|

S S S S S S S S S S S S  E  E   E  E      S S S S  S S S S 
----------------------------------------|--------7----------|
--------4-4-4-------4-4-4----4--5-----|------8------6----|
----------------------------4--------3--|----9-----7---5---|
--2-2-2-------2-2-2------------------- |--6-------------4-|
----------------------------------------|-------------------|

And I for the life of me cannot play the cluster of 16ths at the end that roll up and down the strings near the end without messing up and slipping my pinky off of the fret. This is the only part I mess up in the whole song. Does anyone have tips on how to fluently play those? Exercises perhaps?

Oh, and sorry for the sloppy tablature. I needed something to copy/paste here.

Offline Rodni Demental

Re: Tips for playing less sloppy on a part in TDOE
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 10:46:04 PM »
Well.. you're probably far better at bass guitar than me if you're attempting something like TDOE, but I can answer with some experience as a piano tutor. I'm not sure if you'll consider this the most obvious advise ever, but it's what I tell my students all the time. ;)

Pretty much the key to playing anything at speed, is to slow it down. And I don't just mean to slow down the part that you can't play. You need to slow down the whole phrase, or in some cases, the whole song. Slow it down to a tempo where you can play it perfectly. Including the parts that you can already play, discipline yourself to play even the familiar sections at this same tempo leading into the part you are having trouble with. If you make a mistake at the slower speed, you'll know you need to play it a few more times, so start it again. If you play it flawlessly, try pick up the pace slightly next time. This does require some patience and levels of self discipline (I've found it's much easier to reinforce these habits in the presence of a tutor) but I guarantee it works every time.

The idea is; if you can play any passage with perfection at a lower tempo, then you generally end up surprising yourself when you naturally can just play it faster once you've mastered these slower speeds (remember, it has to be a consistently slow tempo, don't get tempted to play the easy bits as fast as you can). It's good to push yourself sometimes to see if you can play a tricky passage at speed straight away, but it can also be a bad habit to always rush yourself when you're not ready. And ultimately reinforcing the mistakes that you're making. Hope that helps, although I can't magically help you play it better, still need to practice. :P

As for specific advice on your hand positions and finger movements if that's what you wanted to hear.. I can't really help sorry. I'm sure there's someone else who's more familiar with actually playing the passage you've mentioned.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 11:24:22 PM by Rodni Demental »

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Tips for playing less sloppy on a part in TDOE?
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 06:14:03 AM »
Practice, or morph into JMX.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.