Author Topic: R.I.P. James Gandolfini  (Read 2111 times)

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
R.I.P. James Gandolfini
« on: June 19, 2013, 06:29:49 PM »
https://www.tmz.com/2013/06/19/james-gandolfini-dead-dies-italy/

James Gandolfini -- who famously played Tony Soprano on "The Sopranos" -- died earlier today in Italy ... TMZ has learned.

Gandolfini is believed to have suffered a heart attack. He was 51.

Gandolfini was in Italy to attend the 59th Taormina Film Festival in Sicily -- and he was scheduled to participate in a festival event this weekend with Italian director Gabriele Muccino.

Wow! Truly surprising! RIP Tony Soprano!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Re: R.I.P. James Gandolfini
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 06:34:06 PM »
What? That came out of nowhere, so sad to hear. He was a great actor and will be missed! RIP
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 06:34:47 PM »
That's too bad. Seemed like a pretty cool guy, despite being famous for portraying a monster.

Really liked him as juror number 6.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 06:36:57 PM »
What? That came out of nowhere

Well, the more you weigh, the less out of nowhere it is, frankly.

Of course still incredibly sad, and although I never really saw any of his big roles, this is just another example of why I need to stop eating so damn much.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 07:31:45 PM »
Bummer news....It's just sad period when someone so relatively young dies 'unexpectedly' like this, especially a father with young children. Sure you can make some assertions about being overweight or taking care of yourself and that it shouldn't be 'unexpected'.....but even 'healthy' people suddenly die. I hope his family gets a lot of love and support.....by all accounts from the interviews I've read today about it he was a nice fella.

I guess this puts and end to the 'Soprano' movie speculation?? :\  Too Soon???
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 07:34:41 PM »
Very sad.  I really liked him as an actor.
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 07:44:31 PM »
RIP Mr. Gandolfini  :sad: I knew Mr. Gandolfini. We meet in 2000 thru a mutual friend. They filmed alot of the Sopranos in my hometown and when I moved to a neighboring town, I moved down the block from Frank Vincent who also appeared on the Sopranos. I became friends with Frank. My 2 favorite stories about Mr. Gandofini : The first time I met him was while they were filming the Sopranos. Frank introduced me to him. About a week later Mr. Gandofini was at Frank's house for a BBQ. We talked and hit it off. I kept calling him Mr. Gandofini and I remember him  keep telling me, Marc it is Jimmy. It's Jimmy. Stop calling me Mr. Gandolfini LOL. So we had a running joke that whenever I would see him, I would always say hey Mr. Gandolfini, he would give me a look,  a wise smile and say Marc..............its Jimmy.

2nd, one day Jimmy was a Franks and Best Buy, the electronics store was having an open box sale. I happened to stop buy as they were heading out there. They asked if I wanted to come along. I figured hey, why not. So we walk into the store and everyone is looking at us (well them LOL). Funny thing was Jimmy tried to bargain the price down on an open box TV (he was joking). The look on the salesmans face was priceless. Needless to say  Jimmy purchased 2 large Tv's at regular price LOL.

Again, a guy that would do anything for people.

Again, RIP Jimmy!

Truly one of the nicest, kindest individuals you could ever meet.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 07:46:04 PM »
Also, he had become more fit in the past year or so. TGrust me when I say, he was in the best health since i knew him.

My thoughts are with his wife Deborah and his 2 children.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 08:04:02 PM »
One of my favourite shows, favourite characters, and I thought he was great in whatever else I saw him in. Was surprised to see HBO post this, just saw a bar called Gandolfini's and was in a place that reminded people of Sopranos tonight.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 09:39:05 PM »
Bummer news....It's just sad period when someone so relatively young dies 'unexpectedly' like this

Oh, absolutely, it's terrible. I always go back to Steve Irwin though, and all the people who couldn't believe he died when he got stung by a stingray. That's really sad if he was getting himself healthier lately. Unfortunately with smoking especially, it's often too little too late.

For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2013, 09:54:03 PM »
Bummer news....It's just sad period when someone so relatively young dies 'unexpectedly' like this

Oh, absolutely, it's terrible. I always go back to Steve Irwin though, and all the people who couldn't believe he died when he got stung by a stingray. That's really sad if he was getting himself healthier lately. Unfortunately with smoking especially, it's often too little too late.

Yeah, but if you look at how much 'we' abuse out bodies with all the 'bad' stuff we put in it from smoking to the crap that's in most processed foods....our bodies put up a good fight to survive.
  It's just unfortunate in cases like this (if it is indeed a heart attack) that when something goes awry in your heart....there's no real bail out or room for error. Most of the time it's the worst case scenario.
  As 'The Trooper' attested, it sounds like he was a heck of a guy...I truly hope comfort finds his family.

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2013, 11:50:41 PM »
I will admit that when I heard this, being that The Sopranos is my all-time favorite television show, I was gutted.  Not many celebrity deaths would really affect me outside of an, "Oh, really? That's sad.", but Tony Soprano was THE character on the best show ever, and the sudden death of Gandolfini was like a punch to the gut. :( :( :(

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2013, 12:42:42 AM »
I didn't watch The Sopranos, but from bits I've seen he played a great part, and this is way too young for anyone to die. RIP.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2013, 04:27:16 AM »
I will admit that when I heard this, being that The Sopranos is my all-time favorite television show, I was gutted.  Not many celebrity deaths would really affect me outside of an, "Oh, really? That's sad.", but Tony Soprano was THE character on the best show ever, and the sudden death of Gandolfini was like a punch to the gut. :( :( :(

Tony was unforgettable but he was pretty good in most of his works. The Mexican and True Romance come to mind. He also sounded like a genuinely chill guy in all the interviews I had read and watched (the Actor's Studio one was nice).

Rest In Peace.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2013, 05:13:48 AM »
I must admit, I've only seen a few episodes here and there through the years. I've been meaning to watch The Sopranos all the way through some time.

Anyway, RIP James. You were a great actor.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2013, 08:38:14 AM »
Geez, the guy was only 51  :(   Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

RIP, dude. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2013, 08:57:07 AM »

Tony was unforgettable but he was pretty good in most of his works. The Mexican and True Romance come to mind. He also sounded like a genuinely chill guy in all the interviews I had read and watched (the Actor's Studio one was nice).

Rest In Peace.

I first saw him in Get Shorty way back in 1995 (I didn't see True Romance till like three years ago).

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2013, 08:59:32 AM »
probably doesn't warrant its own thread here, but author Vince Flynn (47) also died yesterday after battling prostate cancer.  He's the guy that wrote the Mitch Rapp/counter-terrorist books.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2013, 12:13:50 PM »

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2013, 10:06:19 AM »
His acting for Tony Soprano is the best television performance I've ever seen. Really sad to hear this.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2015, 09:13:38 PM »
Two years ago today. :(

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2015, 09:20:19 PM »
Two years ago today. :(
I was about to text my friend, a huge Sopranos fan, with the news. Then I thought "wait a sec..." and checked the thread date.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2015, 11:51:47 AM »
I was like..."Oh no, he died again?" :omg:
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi