Author Topic: 2014-15 NBA thread v. 2015-16 thread now playing  (Read 56777 times)

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
2014-15 NBA thread v. 2015-16 thread now playing
« on: June 17, 2014, 07:59:18 AM »
What happens next for the...

Spurs: They seem to be dealing with their AARP status ridiculously well. With Manu turning 37 next month and Duncan 38, do y'all see them making another title run without having to strike foreign gold again?

Heat: Some seem to think Wade's gonna try for a max contract. If so, he'll be left with the blood on his hands of having run off LBJ. I really can't see him Kobeing up his team like that.

Thunder: Will Scott Brooks learn how to coach? Will Westbrook realize he needs to let the real hero on his team be the hero? Will they man up and stop shrinking in high-stakes playoff situations?

Pacers: Way too many questions here. I'll just leave it at: Who do y'all see them structuring the offense around and is Lance retained?

Rockets: How many years' salary will Howard get from them before they realize he doesn't make the team that much better than someone half his price?

Bulls: Derrick Rose's over under for games played this coming season? I'll put it at 30 and take the over...barely.

Knicks: Is Fisher REALLY gonna be the coach?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 07:09:56 PM by black_floyd »
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline T-ski

will the Bucks ever be relevant again?
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
I want CP3 to taste the finals next year.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

Just think if James went to the Clippers.  I know he and Paul are buddies, and if you added him to that team, jeez, that would sick.  Who knows if they even have the cap room for him, but if James wanted to go there, I am sure they'd find a way to make it work. 

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
I would cheer them on as a Heat fan. Doc, Blake, CP3, Deandre, and Lebron? Fuck me standing.

Offline Azyiu

LBJ should opt out and sign with the Jazz for cheap... just because he can and for the hell of it.  :lol
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
If I were LeBron I would go to the Clippers for like $5 million a year. That team would rape everyone.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline senecadawg2

I'd be pretty surprised if the Spurs show the same dominance next season, but I don't see them falling off too much. Sure Manu and Duncan are getting old, but Pop does an excellent job of strategically resting them up throughout the regular season. Plus, all the younger peripheral players are only getting better. Kawhi Leonard is going to shine and the Spurs are going to contend once again. Just my two cents.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
The Spurs will have about 10 million dollars in cap room next season.  But, they'll probably end up using a lot of it to resign Patty Mills and Boris Diaw.

In the NBA, there's something called the Mid Level Exception (MLE).  This gives you five million dollars, unrelated to you cap space, to spend on players.  Last year, the Spurs used half of it to sign Marco Bellineli.

I think this year, the Spurs off-season really depend on how well they use the MLE.  While Bellineli wasn't a huge factor in the playoffs, he was reliable.  If you put him in, he could play smart basketball and make shots.  While you can't anticipate Duncan and Manu falling off a cliff, they'll be even older next year.  The depth has to keep getting better to compensate.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 12:09:08 PM by ReaPsTA »
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
The Spurs will be contending again next year, whatever Manu and Duncan lack because of age will be picked up by Leonard and Pop's rotation.

I'm interested to see where Lebron will end up, I'm not sure he'll stay in Florida.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline j

Just think if James went to the Clippers.  I know he and Paul are buddies, and if you added him to that team, jeez, that would sick.  Who knows if they even have the cap room for him, but if James wanted to go there, I am sure they'd find a way to make it work.

Stop guys, I'm getting aroused.

-J

Offline Syzzle

Didn't LeBron also say he would love to play for Doc Rivers? LeBron on the Clippers would piss so many people off (Mostly Laker fans and LeBron haters though) I almost want to see it happen now.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
How about he stays somewhere in the East? The Western conference is hard enough already
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
Yeah, I find it pretty hard for any of the free agents (and potential free agents) to go West. It's so much easier to be in the East.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
Yeah, I find it pretty hard for any of the free agents (and potential free agents) to go West. It's so much easier to be in the East.

That goes both ways though.  This year, the Mavericks and Suns have significant cap room.  Both teams could become contenders if they make the right moves.  The Spurs have a bit of cap room.  And other teams in the west *cough*the Rockets*cough* are trying to improve.  If you want to contend, the teams in the west provide your best options.

The east is easier, but that's because none of the teams are good enough to win except the Heat.  If, like Kevin Love (apparently), you're willing to wait to contend, then joining a team like the Celtics or Raptors makes sense.  But if you want to win immediately, there's no benefit.  And a guy like Carmelo wants to win now.
Over and over again

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
Hey hey! Lakers have cap room also! :P

But yes, I oversimplified that a bit, but what I was trying to get at is that you have an easier time getting to the playoffs and the Finals through the East than the West. So it makes more sense for somone to stay/go to the East.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
So hey!  How about the C's 6th and 17th pick?

*Crickets*
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
I don't see San Antonio slowing down. I feel like we will be contenders again next season.

I'm looking forward to the return of Derrick Rose, and I want to see how he jumps back into the pool after back to back knee injuries. He's a professional, and I'm sure this off season he's going to work his butt off to be conditioned and game ready for next season. Rose playing with Joakim Noah, who just surfaced this season to be one of the best big men in the league, should be a fun combo to watch.

The Clippers should be coming back stronger than ever. I don't even want to think about how ridiculous that team would be with Lebron in the line-up lol.

The East has a lot of work to do if they want to catch up with the West.

Look for the Wizards having a big season.

Welcome back, Charlotte Hornets!

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
So hey!  How about the C's 6th and 17th pick?

*Crickets*

If the sixth pick isn't traded, I think he'll end up being a good player.  Probably not an all-star, but good.

Right now though, both picks are being offered for Kevin Love.
Over and over again

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
And throw in another player or two.  I would love to see him here.   But , as we all know in this day and age of the NBA, you need a third all star.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
I think the Celtics can do it without a third all-star if they bring in the right supporting players.  It's also, in a sense, the less risky strategy.  Once you get Love, who else do you go for that's available?  Better to get guys like Asik who compliment Rondo and Love.
Over and over again

Offline contest_sanity

re: LeBron to the Clippers -- this sounds weird, but that might be somewhat of a difficult adjustment for someone.  LeBron has to have the ball to do what LeBron does, but if he's running the offense, then you're taking the ball out of CP3's hands. 

Then again, I don't necessarily know how he and Melo would work things out either, unless they just divided up the quarters every game.  Melo gets 20 a quarter in the 1st and 3rd; Lebron 20 a quarter in the 2nd and 4th.

How much might the Hawks improve getting Horford back in the lineup?

Who can Dallas bring in to try and make another deep playoff run in Dirk's final years?

Will Jeremy Lin get traded to a place where he can start? I'm still convinced he could put up good numbers if he was starting somewhere.

Any teams gonna take a gamble on Lance Stephenson?

How will Steve Kerr fare in Golden State? Can he get them to the next level?

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
Hopefully, I can pick a team and stick with them. I tried to get behind the Wizards this year, but I ended up feeling guilty when they started winning.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
re: LeBron to the Clippers -- this sounds weird, but that might be somewhat of a difficult adjustment for someone.  LeBron has to have the ball to do what LeBron does, but if he's running the offense, then you're taking the ball out of CP3's hands.

They're both smart players.  They can make it work.  This is where Doc Rivers helps too.  He knows how to juggle this stuff.

Then again, I don't necessarily know how he and Melo would work things out either, unless they just divided up the quarters every game.  Melo gets 20 a quarter in the 1st and 3rd; Lebron 20 a quarter in the 2nd and 4th.

Neither player is totally well dimensional.  Melo can pass out of the post, and LeBron is LeBron.  What makes this tough is that I'm not sure how good a player Melo is off the ball.  In the Clippers example, both players are strongest with the ball, but both are smart enough to help the team off it.  With Melo, I just have no idea how he could perform in that role.

How much might the Hawks improve getting Horford back in the lineup?

A lot.  But he can't stay healthy.  Do the Hawks try and trade him?

Who can Dallas bring in to try and make another deep playoff run in Dirk's final years?

Hopefully someone.

Will Jeremy Lin get traded to a place where he can start? I'm still convinced he could put up good numbers if he was starting somewhere.

This can't really happen, but wouldn't the Pacers be the perfect team for him?  He could play more reliably than George Hill, but he wouldn't be asked to do too much either.

Any teams gonna take a gamble on Lance Stephenson?

Someone will.  The question is, how much is the league willing to pay him?  More than the Pacers?

I suspect that someone will want to overpay him, and the Pacers won't match because of the luxury tax.  And it will help them a lot, because it will rid them of a major cancer.

How will Steve Kerr fare in Golden State? Can he get them to the next level?

I think, at least to start, he'll be okay.  Not as bas as Jason Kidd at the beginning of last season, but not as good as he got by the end either.
Over and over again

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
Warriors have made Klay Thompson available in a Kevin Love trade.

Now I'm really worried for Boston.  From what I can tell, it seems that like what Flip wants in a trade are players that can keep the Wolves from bottoming out.  Lee and Thompson can do that for them.  The Celtics could do the same with Sullinger and Jeff Green, but the Wolves don't seem to want Green or value Sullinger that highly, so the Warriors definitely have the advantage now.
Over and over again

Offline dparrott

Not a basketball fan, but love the quite in the thread title!
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

• DT.net Member
Not a basketball fan, but love the quite in the thread title!

:)
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
Solid Ice Cube reference.
Over and over again

• DT.net Member
Sure ain't no "yeahee yeahee".

Offline Azyiu

Alvin Gentry is leaving the Clippers to join Kerr in GS. I think that's a good move for both of them. Gentry can bring the head coaching experience to the table, while his good relationship with Kerr (developed when they were both with the Suns) should translate into making Kerr's head coaching debut much easier.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 07:06:39 PM by Azyiu »
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
I agree.  Gentry is a great signing for GSW.
Over and over again

Offline Azyiu

Here's an interesting offer....

The Jazz are offering #5 and Derrick Favors for the #1 pick (They want Mormon Jabari Parker)

Cleveland could get Favors and Embiid out of this deal. And, considering Parker's background it makes sense. That is one potential superstar a team like Utah could hang on to long term.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
I'm not sure why Cleveland does that instead of just drafting Parker.  Unless you want to dump Thompson and Bennet, what's the upside of Favors for them?

It probably couldn't happen because of the sign and trade issues, but Hawyard/5th for the Cav's 1st deal would make a lot more sense for Cleveland.
Over and over again

Offline Azyiu

Lakers looking to get Klay Thompson?

https://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers...620-story.html

Love going to the Warriors looking like a sure thing... for now...

Still, I do not think this is a smart trade for the Lakers long term. We do not have a first round pick next year! Instead we could use the 7th pick this year, easily get a valuable player, develop him for long term at a much lower price thus relatively lower risk then going for Thompson. In the long haul, we simply DO NOT have any prospect to develop, and it ain't healthy!
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
I agree.  Bad trade for the Lakers.

I'm not sure why people are looking to get Klay.  He's gonna get a max contract, and he hasn't proven that he's worth it yet.
Over and over again