Author Topic: ?'s Roulette v2: Openness and Survival - We have a winner!  (Read 32831 times)

Offline senecadawg2

Re: ?'s Roulette v2: Openness and Survival - round 6 results
« Reply #140 on: July 25, 2014, 07:22:19 AM »
Cool! I thought you would really enjoy one of my two submissions, I just wasn't sure which one it was going to be. As much as I enjoy that Bjork song, any one of them from Vespertine would have fit just as well. I can't recommend that album enough  :heart

I'll sent my next two very shortly!
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #141 on: July 25, 2014, 07:35:18 AM »
I expected that. :D

Thanks for letting me in, I had fun.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #142 on: July 25, 2014, 08:02:29 AM »
Seneca... seeing the songs you submit, I'm even more amazed that I won your roulette.

Evermind... you'd have scored well with me.  Those are two top-notch bands/albums/songs.  Netherworld is my AOTY so far.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #143 on: July 25, 2014, 08:22:32 AM »
Seneca... seeing the songs you submit, I'm even more amazed that I won your roulette.

I think I listen to a somewhat wide range of music (at least, I'd like to think so), but for the most part it can be divided into two groups. While 'progressive' may be an overlapping characteristic within both groups, one is much more traditional. You submitted a handful of fantastic songs, as well as a couple others that were somewhere between quite good and great, that were just what I'm looking for in that more traditional grouping. Someone else could've just as easily succeeded in sending me a whole lot of songs like Bjork, but no one did. In other words, what I've sent in this roulette is no more a reflection of my tastes than the kind of stuff you sent me. They're the two halves that make up my listening and I just happened to decide early on that I think Ville may prefer one half a little more.

With that being said, I still have a couple songs lined up in these last two rounds that I know you would approve of!

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #144 on: July 26, 2014, 01:53:23 AM »
Yeah, figured Radiohead was a long shot. Interestingly, that's pretty much the only Radiohead song I like. :lol

Will send soon.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #145 on: July 29, 2014, 05:34:08 AM »
Interestingly, that's pretty much the only Radiohead song I like. :lol
I guess I feel the same way now :lol

LLTWM hasn't sent yet...

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #146 on: July 29, 2014, 02:00:16 PM »
Sorry bout that. Been busy with my friends lately. Later tonight I'll send. :)

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: ?'s Roulette v2: Openness and Survival - Final round!
« Reply #147 on: August 01, 2014, 10:12:27 AM »
ROUND 7 RESULTS

Shadow Ninja: Low Roar – Patience
Ambient keyboards, simplistic yet good guitar work, gentle vocals, beautiful strings and memorable melodies... What’s there not to like? This song is peaceful and minimalistic, but never gets boring.
Rating: 6

Shadow Ninja: Shamrain – To Leave
This sounds like The Cure with more acoustic guitars – not that there’s anything wrong with that, as I like The Cure, so I also enjoy this song. The ending is pretty sudden, but not Pull Me Under sudden :lol BTW, isn’t this the singer from Entwine?
Rating: 5

senecadawg2: Mazzy Star – Fade Into You
Acoustic singer/songwriter stuff... Love the slide(?) guitar solo! As you said in the PM, the song is a little bit repetitive, and the chord progression remains the same throughout it, but it’s not boring.
Rating: 4

LieLowTheWantedMan: Built to Spill – Randy Described Eternity
Weird title, eh? :P The music isn’t as weird, though, despite some fuzzy guitar effects. This is a solid piece of guitar-driven alt rock. If the ending was just a wee shorter, I would’ve rated this higher.
Rating: 3

LieLowTheWantedMan: Kvelertak – Mjød
I’ve heard of this band before, but I had no idea what they sounded like. Turns out they play a mix of punky hard rock and black metal... Neither style isn’t really the kind of music I listen to and the song is pretty short, but it’s catchy and energetic.
Rating: 2

senecadawg2: Headspace – Daddy Fucking Loves You
Ok, this takes the cake for having the most... um, interesting title in this round! :lol I certainly wasn't expecting a 15-minute epic :D The acoustic beginning has a late 70s Rush vibe (think of The Trees or A Farewell to Kings) and is my favorite part of the song. Unfortunately it turns into standard prog metal after that – not bad, but the transitions aren't very smooth, and a quirky song like this is hard to swallow with just a couple of listens.
Rating: 1

Final scores:
Shadow Ninja: 6 + 5 = 11
seneca: 4 + 1 = 5
LL: 3 + 2 = 5

As you can see, Shadow Ninja took a double victory this time! I know I've said only the latest round matters in this game, but I need to use some kind of method to decide who is the other person to continue to the finals, and since Seneca has sent my favorite songs in three rounds, I have to give him the nod.

This means that the virtual bronze medal/trophy/whateverprizeyouwantittobe goes to LieLowTheWantedMan - congrats dude! :djhef: You're also the most successful "veteran" out of those who took part in both of my roulettes! :)

Next up is The Ultimate Deathmatch*: The Dawg vs The Ninja!

*don't worry, nobody will actually be killed

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #148 on: August 01, 2014, 10:12:52 AM »
I don't like to appear impatient, because I'm really not, but I am curious  :blush

ETA: What a ninja!  :hefdaddy

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #149 on: August 01, 2014, 10:13:40 AM »
It is the same singer.

In fact, he was the singer on all the songs I sent in this roulette. (not really :P )

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #151 on: August 01, 2014, 10:23:34 AM »
Unfortunately Shadow Ninja isn't going to be able to make it to the deathmatch. He asked that I go ahead and post his submission here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFrGuyw1V8s

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #152 on: August 01, 2014, 10:32:41 AM »
You know it's going to win.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: August 01, 2014, 10:34:40 AM »
Unfortunately Shadow Ninja isn't going to be able to make it to the deathmatch. He asked that I go ahead and post his submission here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFrGuyw1V8s
In that case he wins, because https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRYMSRLOoK0#t=3m0s and because I have hilarious memories of singing that song (in the original octave) with my cousin in a karaoke video game :lol

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #154 on: August 01, 2014, 10:40:05 AM »
lol.

I'll send shortly  :azn:

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: ?'s Roulette v2: Openness and Survival - We have a winner!
« Reply #155 on: August 07, 2014, 10:26:09 AM »
Alright, let's wrap this up:

ROUND 8 RESULTS

seneca: Kevin Gilbert – Song for a Dead Friend
The title made me expect a heart-wrenchingly emotional song and I wasn’t disappointed! The vocal performance is soulful and the instrumentation is great for this type of ballad. Just all-around beautiful...
Rating: 4

Shadow Ninja: While Heaven Wept –Unplenitude
I just saw the announcement of these guys’ new album on Blabbermouth today :D Anyway, although the band plays metal, this tune is an acoustic ballad. I liked this almost as much as the Gilbert song, but the latter touched me more, so I had to rate it higher.
Rating: 3

seneca: Braveyoung – And No Two Walked Together
I’ve realized that post-rock is a pretty difficult genre for me to get into due to the lack of vocals and the long and repetitive songs. This song is no exception, as it’s alright, but that final something is missing. The last minute is great, though!
Rating: 2

Shadow Ninja: The Ocean - Abyssopelagic II: Signals of Anxiety
I think I got one tune from this band in my first roulette... Anyway, this song has got some good guitar and piano work, but it ends pretty quickly after just two choruses, and unfortunately the shouted half-growls kill it for me, because they feel totally out of place.
Rating: 1

So the scores are
seneca: 4 + 2 = 6
SN: 3 + 1 = 4

And the winner is... *drum roll* senecadawg2 - congrats! :djhef: :woot: This probably comes as no surprise to anyone who has followed this thread, but you got such a good grasp of what kind of music I like it's almost disturbing! Now I'm not sad that you beat me in Buddyhunter's roulette :D I also appreciate that you always took the time to write what you think of each song you sent and why you picked them - it was a pleasure to read them. :)

Also, congrats to our silver medalist Shadow Ninja! If it's true that you took approximately 10 seconds to pick each song, you were pretty damn lucky to get this far! Maybe you should try your luck in lottery? :lol

A huge thank you to everyone who participated in or followed this roulette! :) My last roulette was pretty quick and I hoped this one would be like that too, but my summer job, traveling, etc. ate up more time than I had expected. I know the waiting list in the tracker thread is massive, but nobody was complaining about my pace, so I'd like to think I didn't drag this out too long. :D I haven't made any CD purchases based on my new discoveries yet, but once I've finished working and start receiving student allowance again, I'll most likely pick up something by (at least) IQ and Agalloch. Luckily these threads get archived so I can always take a look and remind myself of what I listened to!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 10:55:03 AM by ? »

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #156 on: August 07, 2014, 10:28:07 AM »
Congrats seneca! I think this is the closest I've ever gotten to winning one of these ... so... congratulations to me also! :lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: August 07, 2014, 10:38:49 AM »
Well done Seneca! You were really consistent through all this roulette. I don't really dig this Kevin Gilbert song while being a ballad-lover myself, but it did its job it seems.

SN: 3 + 1 = 5

This is... interesting.  :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #158 on: August 07, 2014, 10:40:12 AM »
DON'T TELL HIM

Actually I didn't notice that either. :lol

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: August 07, 2014, 10:57:10 AM »
SN: 3 + 1 = 5
This is... interesting.  :lol
Shush, I use a special kind of math!

But yeah, 4 and 5 are next to each other on the keyboard and I didn't check it twice before posting. :lol It's fixed now (sorry Ninja!)

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #160 on: August 07, 2014, 10:57:43 AM »
 :heart :heart :heart

I feel really proud (and also a bit lucky) to have won against such worthy competition. Shadow Ninja, and everyone else too for that matter, sent a lot of great songs throughout the roulette that I could've seen myself sending too, so yea...

Thanks a lot for running the roulette, I had a lot of fun playing and I'm glad that you were able to find some stuff to tickle your fancy!

Also, special shoutout to Dr. DTVT for introducing me to that Kevin Gilbert song in my own roulette. It was perhaps my favorite song from the whole competition, and who knows what garbage I would've sent you if he hadn't introduced me to Song for a Dead Friend  :biggrin:

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #161 on: August 07, 2014, 05:25:54 PM »
Also, special shoutout to Dr. DTVT for introducing me to that Kevin Gilbert song in my own roulette. It was perhaps my favorite song from the whole competition, and who knows what garbage I would've sent you if he hadn't introduced me to Song for a Dead Friend  :biggrin:

He dropped it on me in mine as well, and slayed the entire competition that round single-handedly.  It's a guaranteed winning song for sure.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: August 08, 2014, 12:15:24 AM »

Nah, I don't think you would've been capable of sending garbage. ;D In fact, no song in this roulette was pure crap, even though I didn't like some of them that much.

BTW, Kevin Gilbert was one of the producers Dream Theater considered for FII, but he passed away before they could arrange a meeting with him. Judging by this song, it would've been an interesting combination!

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #163 on: August 08, 2014, 12:49:43 AM »
Congrats Seneca!