Author Topic: ?'s Roulette v2: Openness and Survival - We have a winner!  (Read 32828 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: ?'s Roulette v2: Openness and Survival - round 1
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2014, 04:07:29 PM »
Sounds like we have a volunteer ready to be eliminated.   ;D
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2014, 05:08:19 PM »
Sounds like we have a volunteer ready to be eliminated.   ;D

:lol

I love the anticipation waiting for the reviews.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2014, 03:25:46 AM »
Oh sorry sorry sorry I'll get to it :o

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Re: ?'s Roulette v2: Openness and Survival - round 1 results!
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2014, 09:56:44 AM »
ROUND 1 RESULTS

I thought deciding who should be eliminated would be easier than giving scores for each song, but I quickly realized I was dead wrong :lol It was tough, but something has got to go and I had to make a decision solely based on the songs themselves. I know it's cruel that your past success won't help in the upcoming rounds (unless you're awarded immunity), but the name of the game is: you're only going to do as well as the last song you sent.

Anyway, let's get down to business:

Captain of the plane

senecadawg2: Agalloch – As Embers Dress the Sky
I got an acoustic Agalloch song in my previous roulette, but I wasn’t familiar with their metal side until now. The first clean vocal part has a shoegaze vibe to it, and the song on the whole feels like a mixture of Alcest and early 90s Gothenburg metal like In Flames and Dark Tranquillity because of the guitar harmonies and acoustic sections. Man, why haven’t I bothered listening to these guys before?! This is a seriously awesome song and I need to check out some Agalloch as soon as possible!

Landed safely

Scorpion: Anciients – Raise the Sun
This song begins with clean and acoustic guitars and neat drumming, until a cool fill leads to a heavier section and the vocals come in. The build-up is tasteful, the singer’s clean voice has a nice timbre and the screaming is well-executed too.  I really like the riff that begins after the first 5 minutes! I’ve heard this kind of metal before, but this song manages to feel fresh and doesn’t come across as a rehash or carbon copy of some other band’s music.

Lolzeez: Dredg – Bug Eyes
Dredg is one of those ten million bands I’ve heard of but never actually listened to. I’ve heard them being referred to as a prog band, but this song is pretty accessible (not that it’s a bad thing!). Solid alt rock with some cool drumming and guitar work, plus nice vocals. No complaints!

kingshmegland: Echolyn – The End Is Beautiful
The first minute of this song is probably more diverse than Nickelback’s entire discography! :lol I thought it was going to be some kind of ambient alt rock, until the heavy organ riff started, and then the verse shook things up again. As you said, the lyrics are pretty dark, and I think they are like something Steven Wilson might write, albeit not as gloomy as Porcupine Tree or his solo works. Great tune!

LieLowTheWantedMan: Psychotic Waltz – Out of Mind
Thrashy old-school prog metal! This sounds like something Fates Warning might’ve done in the No Exit era, albeit heavier (funnily enough, "Parallels [Full Album]" is in the related videos!). The singer has a unique voice and at first I wasn’t sure whether he was a man or a woman. The simple yet heavy riff at 2:19 is :metal -worthy and the chorus(?) is short yet memorable.

Shadow Ninja: Red House Painters – Katy Song
RHP is a familiar name, as I’m a huge Katatonia fan and they’ve been influenced by this band. There’s plenty of atmosphere and minimalistic melancholy here, and that’s exactly what I enjoy. The vocalist has a slightly monotonous voice, but so do a lot of singers I like, so it doesn’t matter. The song gets a little repetitive towards the end, but apart from that it’s very enjoyable.

GentlemanofDread: Coheed and Cambria – Carol Ann
The acoustic intro feels like it could be in a folk/singer-songwriter tune. The vocalist sings in a pretty original way – his voice is dramatic, but not to the point where it gets on your nerves. The song gets powerful towards the end, although the instrumentation remains the same. The absolute lack of drums is surprising, but I like it when bands do unexpected things. I did receive a C&C song in my previous roulette and it was pretty different, being heavier, but this one left a better impression.

Onno: Leprous – Forced Entry
Ok, this is the third Leprous song I’ve listened to during my career as a roulette host :P The heavy riff mixed with the bizarre keyboard sound is kind of weird, but it works. The transitions between the heavy and soft parts are really well done! :tup The part with the wordless vocals is the highlight of the song IMO, although the really high vocals at 9:30 made me think “woah”. Fun fact: I was 100% sure Jens Bogren had mixed this, because the drum sound felt so familiar, and after checking out the album credits it turned out I was right!

adace: Insomnium – Mortal Share
I’ve heard some stuff from the last two or three albums by Insomnium before, but unfortunately I’ve found their music pretty generic and typical Finnish melodeath. This song doesn’t exactly shine with originality either and doesn’t deviate from their formula, but it’s a little better than the ones I’ve heard. The chorus riff is pretty cool and I like the mellow bit in the bridge. Hopefully their music works well live, because they’re supporting Arch Enemy when I see them live in September.

Parachute opened

Gorille85: Röyksopp & Robyn – Do It Again
This kind of stuff is a bit more commercial than the electronic music and pop I’ve listened to, but as an open-minded listener I don’t mind. There are good melodies and the song is catchy, as a good pop tune should. Unfortunately I’m left longing for more, as the song feels a little too short. However, I'm curious to hear more of you, since this song truly stuck out from the rest in this round and it's good for me to get out of my comfort zone once in a while.

Evermind: Beyond the Bridge – The Apparition
I like the Arabic vibe and the sitar in the beginning, although I could do without the spoken word part (concept or not! :lol). Then the song gets closer to standard symphonic/prog metal, but the more up-tempo and rocking part after that is cool, and so is the Opeth-y section around the 5-minute mark. Although all the different sections and parts of the song are good, I wish they were given more time and room to develop, because the changes between them are pretty sudden and quick.

jingle.boy: Backhand – Introspektion
The intro kind of threw me off with those unexpected pauses… This song begins in a pretty epic and heavy way, but it’s followed by a nice melodic part, after which it goes into 70s mode. The organ and Moog playing is pretty cool! The production sounds kind of muddy, but it's the song itself that I'm supposed to judge. My attention tended to drift at times while listening, as I’m not big on instrumental music in general, especially when the songs are as long as this, which is why I considered it for elimination.

Parachute didn't open

MoraWintersoul: Shineback – Crush Culture
You did send that exact Taranis song in my previous roulette, but I didn’t accept it back then because of the time limit, so you sent another one. This time there’s no time limit, but I wanted something fresh and new, and therefore listened to this instead. This is a decent dance song, but unfortunately the final “wow” factor is missing. The singer’s voice sounds off-key in the first verse and I find the crowd noise kind of pointless, as I got the impression this isn’t a live release.

Sacul: David Maxim Micic – Mbinguni Amina
The creepy samples in the beginning remind me of Chroma Key’s Hell Mary. I thought this was gonna be some kind of avant-garde jazz because of the horns and the drumming, but after a while some downtuned djent-y guitars kick in. As if that’s not enough, there’s bluesy soloing as well… After a quick Google search it turns out this dude is Serbian, which probably answers the question of what language the lyrics are in – sounds exotic for sure! While this song is certainly interesting, unfortunately it’s too “out there” for my taste and sounds like a mishmash of too many different elements.

In summary: Milena and Sacul are out, the rest continue in the game and Seneca can't be eliminated in the next round.

As I said in the OP, I'll be gone until Sunday and won't be able to start listening until after that. This means the next results will be posted on Tuesday or Wednesday next week, but I hope you have patience :)

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2014, 10:02:05 AM »
I.. expected to go out.
Uh.
This is awkward.
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2014, 10:29:35 AM »

Nice choice. Catch Without Arms is probably my favorite album ever.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2014, 10:39:30 AM »
And I'm off to a great start ...

Will have to contemplate ... but will send before the weekend.  I can wait a week.  No rush.  Life gets in the way sometimes.  Enjoy whatever it is you're doing.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2014, 10:54:02 AM »
Sent.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2014, 11:01:34 AM »
Glad you liked it ?!!  I been playing that damn album way too much of late.  Sometimes you just get hooked in to a song and then an album and that song gets me all the time.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2014, 11:06:17 AM »

So I'm immune this next round?

I'm thrilled that you enjoyed the song. I can't recommend Agalloch highly enough. One of my favorite bands ever. I'd recommend Ashes Against the Grain and The Mantle as good starter albums, if you're interested in exploring further!  :tup
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2014, 11:07:18 AM »
Thanks to my parachute manufacturer!

That one was a no brainer from me, but I expected you to like it. Well, that shows how much I know about your tastes (read "almost nothing"). Gonna think about the next one.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2014, 11:28:01 AM »
I always forget what I sent to which person, that's why I asked :biggrin: serves me right for taking five minutes to choose a song, eh well. Do not let Nem read that you didn't like the song :angel:

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2014, 12:32:46 PM »
Sent!
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2014, 12:42:47 PM »
Cool. :)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2014, 01:03:22 PM »
Took quite a risk and sent. I have hope in my parachutes.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2014, 03:50:50 PM »
I.. expected to carry on.
Uh.
This is awkward.
Fixed for me :sadpanda:. Oh well, I thought you would be blown away and I get this :lol

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2014, 04:08:33 PM »
Sent.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2014, 04:14:29 PM »
Uh.
This is awkward.
Fixed for me :sadpanda:. Oh well, I thought you would be blown away and I get this :lol

Tastes: wouldn't it be easier if we all just had the same?

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2014, 04:26:58 PM »
Uh.
This is awkward.

Tastes: wouldn't it be easier if we all just had the same?
It would definitely help for this roulette :biggrin:. I had tried that song on Plug.dj a few times and got great results, so it seemed safe for me - but it doesn't matter now. I'm still waiting for Shadow Ninja's results, so I have some hopes :hat

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2014, 04:30:59 PM »
I'm still waiting for Shadow Ninja's results, so I have some hopes :hat

Oh yeah, I should write those, shouldn't I? Crap.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2014, 04:45:36 PM »
I'm still waiting for Shadow Ninja's results, so I have some hopes :hat

Oh yeah, I should write those, shouldn't I? Crap.
:getoffmylawn:

Offline adace

« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2014, 06:34:00 PM »
Sent.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2014, 04:47:08 PM »

Nice choice. Catch Without Arms is probably my favorite album ever.
It grew on me after almost seeing the whole album live. (NO MATROSKA THOUGH UGH)

Also Ville,I THOUGHT YOU LIKED LEPROUS ALREADY.  :eek Go and listen to Bilateral.  :metal Sending in the next 30 minutes.!  :tup

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2014, 09:40:14 PM »
Sent... aiming for at least a last place (surviving) finish again.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2014, 12:29:29 AM »
Shit, forgot to send yesterday evening when I sort of had the time. I'll try to send this afternoon or tonight.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2014, 05:54:52 AM »
I got back home today and will start listening soon. I'm still waiting for Scorp and King to send...

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #61 on: June 22, 2014, 06:00:28 AM »
I thought I had already sent?! Oh well, here it is again.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: June 22, 2014, 06:01:12 AM »
I got back home today and will start listening soon. I'm still waiting for Scorp and King to send...

Sounds like we have a couple more volunteers to be eliminated.  :biggrin:

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #63 on: June 22, 2014, 06:03:11 AM »
Way ahead of you, old man. :P
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: June 22, 2014, 06:35:43 AM »

Sounds like we have a couple more volunteers to be eliminated.  :biggrin:

Pish posh.  working on a song now sucka.

Edit:

aaaaaaaaaannndddd  sent!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 06:48:48 AM by kingshmegland »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2014, 06:09:19 AM »

before this gets relegated to page 2.  What's the deal, ? ?

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2014, 09:27:22 AM »
Sorry, I've been busy lately! I know who's going to get eliminated, but I haven't finished the write-ups yet. I'll try to get them done tomorrow because they're on my computer, which I can't use today.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: ?'s Roulette v2: Openness and Survival - round 2 results
« Reply #67 on: June 26, 2014, 10:56:12 AM »
ROUND 2 RESULTS

Both my favorite and least favorite songs in this round turned out to be the non-metal stuff. Eliminating players isn't nice, but I have to admit that this time it wasn't tough to decide whose game ends here. The songs in the third tier weren't considered for elimination, but I felt they weren't on par with the best stuff, so I kept the same structure for the ranking.

Captain of the ship

Shadow Ninja: Sarah Fimm – Walk Away
Not a Sisters of Mercy cover despite the title! :P I have a soft spot for piano-driven ballads, so this is right up my alley. The vocals are nice and the rhythm and the atmosphere are relaxing. Neat mixture of singer-songwriter stuff and trip hop! Not much else to say, congrats for the first place!

Relaxing on the deck

GentlemanofDread: White Willow – Storm Season
The dark electronic intro caught my attention right away and I knew this would be a great song. There’s a pretty mystic and even slightly creepy vibe here… The strings add to the atmosphere and the singer has a nice timbre. Definitely the most interesting song of the round, although not my favorite :tup

senecadawg2: David Gray – Gulls
Although I prefer to listen to studio recordings, I would’ve accepted the live song you sent, but unfortunately the video is blocked in my country. Well, luckily you also sent this studio track! The haunting keyboard line is effective in its minimalism. In the climax of the song the acoustic guitars blend with the buzzing synth in a successful way. Gray’s voice is a little indie-sounding, but fortunately not annoying like a lot of indie male vocalists. This tune has a pleasant mood and the video accompanies it nicely.

jingle.boy: ReVamp – The Anatomy of a Nervous Breakdown': Neurasthenia
Well, I can definitely imagine this as a soundtrack to a nervous breakdown! I had no idea Floor’s own project played such aggressive music, but my knowledge of all the bands and projects she’s been part of it is limited anyway. The vocals are clearly the thing that stands out in the song, although it’s also good musically. The flying Dutchwoman has got some pipes and Devin’s guest appearance is impressive too.

Scorpion: Novembre – Nothjingrad
Novembre is a familiar name, as they opened for Opeth and Katatonia in 2001 and I’ve heard they sound like Opeth. The acoustic intro is pretty and the build-up is good. The clean guitar bit and the riff it leads into after 3:30 are awesome! I wasn’t sold on the vocals at first, but they grew on me on the second listen already and they fit the music really well.

adace: Draconian – Seasons Apart
As a doom metal fan I recognize the band name, although I haven’t listened to them before. The verses with female vocals and piano are beautiful and the little clean guitar lead after 4 minutes is pretty nice. You can definitely hear the influence of Paradise Lost and Katatonia here, which isn’t a bad thing as both bands are up there with my all-time favorites. Like the Insomnium song you sent last round, this one isn’t exactly innovative or groundbreaking, but it’s enjoyable and has a great atmosphere.

LieLowTheWantedMan: Have a Nice Life – Bloodhail
The electronic(?) drum beat is pretty hypnotic and I love the bassline. Although this is more hard-edged and less dreamy than Slowdive or My Bloody Valentine, there are clear shoegaze influences and elements. I could do without the repetitive mantra in the second half (is he saying “steroids”? :lol), but the atmosphere is so captivating that it doesn’t make the song worse.

In a life saving boat

Onno: Strapping Young Lad – Far Beyond Metal
Alright, this is some bad-ass metal! :metal The riffing is meaty and the guitar harmonies are cool. Devin is a good screamer, although I prefer his melodic voice. I looked up the lyrics and they are funny, but I don’t like the overuse of the f-word, as swearing in music rarely sounds good to my ears. I couldn’t imagine listening to a full album of this kind of stuff, but as an individual song this is a fun listen.

Evermind: Savatage – He Carves His Stone
The intro sounds similar to The Lady Wore Black by Queensryche, so I thought this was going to be a ballad-y song, but it quickly gets a lot heavier. But hey, isn’t this was prog is about? There are some great guitar leads and riffs here. The chorus is kind of repetitive and the super-high vocals at the end are a bit too over-the-top for my taste, but overall this song is good enough to let you get into the next round.

kingshmegland: I Mother Earth – Soft Bomb Salad
I know who gets the “weirdest song title” award this round! :lol The dark verses are cool with the bassline and all, but I don’t like the major-key chorus, as it feels pretty jarring despite bringing some variety. The gloomster in me can be picky sometimes... :P To be fair, the awesome instrumental bridge saves the song – nice riffing! BTW, didn’t these guys open for both Rush and DT back in the day?

Overboard

Lolzeez: Animal Collective – My Girls
Nice synth intro! The problem is, that’s basically the whole song. There’s potential, but unfortunately the constant repetition of the synth line and the chorus kills it. Of course I listen to some bands like Anathema that write songs based on one or two melodies, but they manage to keep it interesting while this didn’t. Sorry to drop you out so early, but the competition is fierce!

Gorille85: Her Name is Calla – Pour More Oil
Starting a song with over half a minute of silence is not exactly the best way to generate interest, especially when it takes a couple more minutes before anything interesting happens. The use of violin and horns is neat and the song is pretty unique, but sadly I’m not into the “ooooh” vocals.

So... Shadow Ninja earns immunity for the next round, while Lolz and Gorille are out and the rest get to continue their journey.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: June 26, 2014, 11:30:29 AM »
I wonder what would you have said about the first song I've sent, if you have a soft-spot for a piano-driven ballads.

And this is the second time in a row I'm barely making it... I really need to think about the next one I'm sending.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2014, 12:18:44 PM »
Aww! I'm glad you enjoyed White Willow, but I was kind of banking on being top of the class! Gonna have to reconsider myself for a moment here.
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.