Author Topic: bl5150's Top 50.........TOP TEN ...#1  (Read 69579 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: bl5150's Top 50.........TOP TEN ...#2
« Reply #560 on: August 06, 2014, 09:44:41 PM »
No More Tears is the only Ozzy I have.  One of those acts that slipped me by, and I'm quite certain 80s Ozzy would've scratched me right where I itched 25 years ago. Now, I'm sure I'd enjoy it, but not sure it would really grab me, at least without me dedicating myself to it like I did all my other 80s musical discoveries back then.  But I should give  it a go sometime nonetheless.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #561 on: August 06, 2014, 11:22:45 PM »
Nice to see an Ozzy album in a list, but The Ultimate Sin isn't what I'd consider one of Ozzy's better albums.
It has a lot of good stuff on it, but it doesn't touch the Rhoads era albums, or No More Tears imo. I've even put Ozzmosis and BATM ahead of it, maybe even Down to Earth. That said, I love all of those albums, so that's not implying that it's bad at all. :tup
My favourite tracks would be Never (which I heard on the radio and loved before I got the album), the title track, and Shot in the Dark.

Randy Rhoads Tribute is great. It's a shame he didn't get more time to give us more music, whether with Ozzy or otherwise.

Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #562 on: August 06, 2014, 11:38:33 PM »
Where on Earth did you hear Never on the radio in Australia?   Must be either internet or some obscure local radio with a dedicated metal show.

Never is a great, under rated song.  The verses are nothing wonderful but the pre-chorus and chorus are fantastic and the build up to the solo  :hefdaddy   Just that few seconds around 2.40- 2.55 where he gets that awesome vibrato and wail - only Jake and a few others can give me chills with just a  few notes like that.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #563 on: August 06, 2014, 11:46:55 PM »
Where on Earth did you hear Never on the radio in Australia?   Must be either internet or some obscure local radio with a dedicated metal show.

You probably didn't get it there, but it was Full Metal Racket on JJJ. It was later at night on one day of the week. They also used to occasionally play DT stuff, even JLB's solo stuff, and I got into Skid Row when they played The Threat. This would have been maybe 2002 - 2005 that we listened to it. Good times!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #564 on: August 07, 2014, 12:06:31 AM »
surprising pick, but an awesome pick regardless.

Ultimate Sin is so underrated.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #565 on: August 07, 2014, 02:03:22 AM »
I love early Ozzy having never been much of a Sabbath fan until the split. The reason for my interest was certainly Randy and then Jake. Jake certainly had style and after seeing the TUS tour (and meeting Jake and Ozzy) I wanted a blue Charvel so bad -= I wasn't as keen on the black and white model.

I love the guitar sound on TUS and the riff to Never is one of my favourites. BATM had not done it for me at the time so this was a return to form.

Whilst DOAM was my favourite Ozzy album I do love Tribute. Its a great live album and we know the guitar wasn't touched up in the studio. Shame it wasn't longer.

Didn't see that HM coming. NOt in my favourite MSG albums. The first half dozen are his best work.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #566 on: August 07, 2014, 03:38:56 AM »
I thought that Schenker album might get a WTF or two  ;D   From my point of view down here near Antarctica the vast majority of the bands in this list outside of the biggest of names had zero profile in this country and UFO/Schenker were the same. I did a pretty good job of tracking most things down but Schenker wasn't one .   So I had no knowledge of him until very late and I think WITS might actually have been my first Schenker related album.

I got Perfect Timing because I read it was fantastic and I thought it was average , same with Save Yourself (other than Anytime) and then much later I looked at the others , the best of which probably came out when I was around 6 or 7 years old and again had zero exposure out here.    There's plenty of songs on the other albums that I like , but I've got to them much later in life and so , aside from the fact that I find most of the albums half filler , they really weren't influential at all. WITS doesn't rock very hard but it's a good consistent listen when I'm in the mood for it .

I agree with you about Diary............I rate that higher than Blizzard and I could easily have tied that in too.  I adore stuff like You Can't Kill Rock'n'Roll , Tonight, Over The Mountain, Diary and the magnificent S.A.T.O.  Having said that Ozzy's voice had opened up and sounded a lot better (less whiny) by the time The Ultimate Sin was done.  He was off his face for most of 1986 but he still sounded as good as he ever did.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 04:13:23 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #567 on: August 07, 2014, 04:50:14 AM »
Not much interested me after TUS. I wasn't a Zack-false harmonic-allthe time- Wylde.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #568 on: August 07, 2014, 05:16:06 AM »
Wow, TUS made it pretty low in my list but it's easily my favourite Ozzy record.  Great pick.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #569 on: August 07, 2014, 05:20:03 AM »
Saw Ozzy on this tour with Metallica in 84.  Absolutely love Killer Of Giants.  After Bark At The Moon which in my eyes was a poor album, this was back to the Ozzy I know.

About the show, Jake E. Lee was pointing his head stock into the crowd when some A-hole pulled him in by it.  He got back on stage and Jake E. lost it.  His guitar didn't work and he tossed it across the stage.  And by toss I mean threw it!  He started pointing at the guy until the police came and got him.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #570 on: August 07, 2014, 05:29:41 AM »
Bark At The Moon which in my eyes was a poor album

I think this too.  I never understood the praise for BATM.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #571 on: August 07, 2014, 05:32:08 AM »
It had a few very good songs but was such a weak album after the 1st 2 masterpieces.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #572 on: August 07, 2014, 05:50:33 AM »
It had a few very good songs but was such a weak album after the 1st 2 masterpieces.

Yup.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #573 on: August 07, 2014, 06:00:46 AM »

It's at least level with TUS. I don't understand why this forum apparently sees such a difference. The title track alone is one of the best things Ozzy has ever done.

Offline emtee

« Reply #574 on: August 07, 2014, 06:02:03 AM »
All about personal taste. Ultimate Sin is far and away my favorite Ozzy album. Not even close really.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #575 on: August 07, 2014, 06:09:18 AM »
All about personal taste. Ultimate Sin is far and away my favorite Ozzy album. Not even close really.

Wow, awesome.

It's at least level with TUS. I don't understand why this forum apparently sees such a difference. The title track alone is one of the best things Ozzy has ever done.

Agree that the title track is one of Ozzy's best, but that's really the only thing on the album that gets me going.  To me, there is such a difference in quality it's astounding.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #576 on: August 07, 2014, 06:13:20 AM »
There's quite a few tracks on BATM I really like - and it wasn't until Paul told me that I realised it was issued without Slow Down which is one of the best and makes a big difference - Spiders is shite.  I also really like Bark At The Moon (played that soooo many times on guitar too) , Now You See it ,  Rock'n'Roll Rebel , Waiting For Darkness.

That concert you spoke of King would've been '86 , not '84.   That tour video (The Ultimate Ozzy) was , along with VH's Live Without A Net , my first concert video purchase. Jake rulz  :hefdaddy
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 06:39:52 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #577 on: August 07, 2014, 07:01:32 AM »
You are correct sir.  Those years just blend together and of course since both albums came out in 86 :facepalm:

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #578 on: August 07, 2014, 09:34:05 PM »
assuming bl5150 finishes his list he now sets the record for most albums in a top 50 albums list with 60.

TAC was the previous record holder with 59 top 50 albums.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #579 on: August 07, 2014, 09:36:11 PM »

Should have #1 up over the weekend. 
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 09:49:23 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #580 on: August 08, 2014, 10:40:23 AM »
assuming bl5150 finishes his list he now sets the record for most albums in a top 50 albums list with 60.

:lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #581 on: August 08, 2014, 01:27:05 PM »
There's quite a few tracks on BATM I really like - and it wasn't until Paul told me that I realised it was issued without Slow Down which is one of the best and makes a big difference - Spiders is shite.  I also really like Bark At The Moon (played that soooo many times on guitar too) , Now You See it ,  Rock'n'Roll Rebel , Waiting For Darkness.

That concert you spoke of King would've been '86 , not '84.   That tour video (The Ultimate Ozzy) was , along with VH's Live Without A Net , my first concert video purchase. Jake rulz  :hefdaddy

I quite like the album now but I didn't back in the day. Slow Down helps a lot - why the UK didn't get that track is beyond me. I always had a soft spot for So Tired but I might be in a minority there.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #582 on: August 09, 2014, 02:31:24 PM »
Back from vacation!!

Nice to see an Ozzy album in a list, but The Ultimate Sin isn't what I'd consider one of Ozzy's better albums.
It has a lot of good stuff on it, but it doesn't touch the Rhoads era albums, or No More Tears imo. I've even put Ozzmosis and BATM ahead of it,
My favourite tracks would be Never Killer Of Giants, the title track, and Shot in the Dark.

Randy Rhoads Tribute is great. It's a shame he didn't get more time to give us more music, whether with Ozzy or otherwise.

I agree. I thought The Ultimate Sin was a cliff like drop off at the time. Still do.

:lol

It was a calculated move, I'm sure!  :lol

Saw Ozzy on this tour with Metallica in 84.

Dude, it was 86!  :lol

I had one set of friends that went to Worcester, another set went to Providence. I made plans with the Providence guys. Bad move. The Worcester show went on, and Providence was cancelled! :censored Missed Metallica.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #583 on: August 09, 2014, 02:37:04 PM »
Tim, I'm old dammit! :lol

All these years blend together.  I guess I should just Google before I post but who has the time to open up all these tabs. *The new grumpy man of the 2000* :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: bl5150's Top 50.........TOP TEN ...#7
« Reply #584 on: August 09, 2014, 06:12:16 PM »

I loved those first two Yngwie albums, but Trilogy blew. I also ignored Odyssey (those pictures!), but these days I think Odyssey is quite awesome.

Also, regarding Fate, I had A Matter Of Attitude.  Liked it a lot. Didn't know they had more albums.

Tim, I'm old dammit! :lol
Hey you're the same age as me! Oh wait..nevermind. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: bl5150's Top 50.........TOP TEN ...#1
« Reply #585 on: August 10, 2014, 07:42:31 AM »
Before I get onto my #1  (world's worst kept secret - the band at least) I'll thank all you fogeys and fogeys-in-waiting for participating and making this thread - in the Olympic tradition - the best Top 50 ever  ;D    I made it a much bigger task than it needed to be but I wanted it to be not only a list of classics but a bit of a chance to discover some new bands .  If anyone needs any help/info on any of the bands mentioned then just PM me.

And so......the winner is..................

#1:  Nitro - O.F.R.
Released 1989

1.     Freight Train     
2.     Double Trouble     
3.     Machine Gunn Eddie     
4.     Long Way From Home     
5.     Bring it Down     
6.     Nasty Reputation     
7.     Fighting Mad     
8.     Shot Heard 'Round the World     
9.     O.F.R. 

Oops - wrong file........:neverusethis:

#1 Van Halen : Van Halen
Released 1978

1.     Runnin' With The Devil     
2.     Eruption     
3.     You Really Got Me             Cover: The Kinks
4.     Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love     
5.     I'm The One     
6.     Jamie's Cryin'     
7.     Atomic Punk     
8.     Feel Your love     
9.     Little Dreamer     
10.     Ice Cream Man     
11.     On Fire 

if ever there was a simple album cover that did a great job of letting you know exactly what was inside then this was it -  Eddie's guitar generating it's own heat , David Lee Roth holding his mic suggestively......you just knew this was going to rock.  I wasn't even around (music aware ) but I can only imagine the impact this album had - it sounds bloody heavy today let alone in 1978 and is widely acknowledged as one of the greatest debut rock/metal albums ever. I've certainly never heard anything from that era that even comes close. For me it is THE best ever.

As I stated at #3 , when it comes to purely music my #1 is Images and Words.  Van Halen in particular though interacted with me on another level and it wasn't just the music - it was attitude , swagger and humour. It's metal and it's tons of fun.  Many of the things I love about Van Halen are very much love/hate and so I totally understand why people don't "get" the classic Van Halen albums .

My Van Halen experience started in 1984 at the age of 10.   I was already a big KISS fan and Van Halen were my 2nd major band. It would be easy to imagine that I first heard them on the radio playing Jump or Panama but that's not the case.  Like Ozzy , my first exposure to the band was on the late night Australian music show called Rage. They had one of their metal specials on and it was a group of four videos - the three track "live" promo they recorded at The Whiskey featuring Running With The Devil , You Really Got Me and Jamie's Cryin' , along with the live clip from Fresno 1979 of Dance The Night Away.  I've included a couple of the clips below along with another very patchy audience clip from the same Fresno gig of Light Up The Sky ..............this 78-79 period was when they really owned the stage and were near untouchable.  Recently there was an amazing clear upgrade of this Fresno gig on Youtube but the  :censored took it down before I could get around to capturing it.

I saw VH recently and wasn't greatly impressed - DLR sang while chewing gum FFS - but it was in this 1979 period that I wish to God they'd recorded professional live footage (perhaps they have it stashed?) because contrary to the myth Roth was good live back then , hit all the high notes and remembered "the fucking words."  That didn't last long though  ;D

You Really Got Me (Whiskey promo)

Dance The Night Away (live)

Light Up The sky (audience)

So 1984 was my first purchase and I worked my way backwards.  If I was to rank my Top 20 most listened to albums of all time then all of the VH albums from the debut to OU812 would be represented in that list.

Back to the debut - I'm told that it was a WTF moment for the guitar playing community the likes of which had not been seen since the arrival of Hendrix and it's not hard to see why.  It wasn't just the 2 handed tapping , or Eddie's brutal "warm up exercise" Eruption that inspired a generation of shredders - there was a heaviness, a fire on this album that is still pretty much unmatched.   And that's why it gets the gong amongst their catalogue - although each album has its special place with me (Fair Warning and 1984 were under consideration) I don't think they ever matched or bettered it in terms of :

- Eddie's guitar sound and playing.  I don't believe he really progressed greatly as a player over time - in fact I think he went backward in many ways during the 79-82 period and peaked again around 84-88.
- heaviness
- production (most albums released today don't sound near as good) .........recorded pretty much live in the space of a week , like most of their albums

Like Dream Theater with Labrie ,  Van Halen started at the peak of their powers and it was damn hard trying to even maintain similar altitude.

As I worked my way through their catalogue I just fell in love with the whole vibe of the band.  Not only was the music rocking , the guitar playing brilliant etc... (if very unorthodox and not very "musical" at times) but there was an intangible element to the band that connected with me.  I pretty much loved everything about them ...............from Roth's ADHD style , charisma, humour and vocal histronics to the whole idea of the band throwing in ad libs , "Whoo"'s , "Owww"'s and laughter in the background - nobody else had the nads to pull this stuff off.  And each time I listen with ear buds in I hear something new. Then their was their bitching logo,  Eddie's cool look , his striped guitars,his pick slides and whammy bar feel,   his penchant for going mad scientist with his gear and certainly the comedy value in many of their songs.

Eddie's playing also connected with me in a way nobody else did. As a musician who reached a decent level myself - I don't consider Eddie a great master of the instrument in a truly musical sense.  He wouldn't know a Dorian mode if it hit him in the guts.  He once described his own playing as "falling down the stairs and landing on my feet" and that's how I see  it too - he's very much a feel player who manages to make weird shit sound good. And like most players of this type , when they have an off night (especially an improv) they can sound bloody awful and I've heard Ed sound terrible too.  All that said he had a fire and a cheeky humour that he was able to get across in his playing that matched the music and Roth's attitude.....and the chops to make it sound damn special.

Some quick thoughts on the other albums:

VH 2 :  A flat production ,a questionable cover of You're No Good and yet an all time favourite or two like Light up The Sky.  I feel on this album and WACF the humour element took over a bit and while the music wasn't quite as strong , tracks like DOA and Beautiful Girls were certainly entertaining

Women and Children First:   Moved even further in the humour direction - still a very good album but songs like Fools, Romeo Delight, Everybody Wants Some and Take Your Whiskey Home were again great for a laugh and cool songs but not quite in the class of the debut.  Ed's lead playing was not as strong around this time either IMHO

Fair Warning:  More complex arrangements , a darker mood and yet still plenty of laughs on tracks like Dirty Movies and One Foot Out The Door (dat solo  :hefdaddy ).   Certainly a highlight and Ed's rhythm playing seriously impressed too. Possibly their best writing along with the debut and 1984.

Diver Down:  An album that was rushed into existence and written and recorded in weeks due to the label demanding an album after the unexpected success of (Oh) Pretty Woman .........sure it's half covers but still contains some great moments - Little Guitars, The Full Bug and Secrets among them. The rhythm playing on Hang Em High is uber cool.

1984:   Ed stepped up the leads here and regained a lot of the fire of the debut and his playing was again more varied and inspired.  Whatever you think of Jump and Panama (I have no problem with them) there's some blistering stuff on this and great aggression reminiscent of the debut in songs like Girl Gone Bad and House of Pain.  Top Jimmy is a cracker too.

5150:  Sammy's debut and while it sounds like ass now , back in the day I loved it.  Still a huge fan of Dreams, Summer Nights, 5150 etc...... but avoid a number of songs.

OU812:  Under rated and suffered from a weak production but this is the last album that really inspired me with it's guitar work - Sucker In A 3 Piece is Eddie going out with a bang. Some clunkers on here but Mine All Mine, AFU and Sucker are  :metal

FUCK/Balance :  Not the VH I grew to love - Eddie lost the Kramer for a fat sounding EBMM and his fire went with it.  He started recycling stale licks over and over and for me that was a real loss.  Having said that I still love both records as they still contain some wonderful songs and it's on songs like Pleasure Dome that Alex and Mikey get time to shine.  It becomes obvious that Alex has progressed a ton over the years.  Faves from these albums:  Judgement Day, The Dream Is Over, Pleasure Dome , Seventh Seal , Feelin'

ADKOT:  A fine return to form - plenty not to like but was far better than I expected and Roth's lyrics are masterful.

There's my mini VH Discography thread - done  ;D

Oh - did I forget 3 ?  Oops  ;D

So there we have it - a pretty clear number one for me and the leftovers from the writing prior to this album fueled much of the rest of their catalogue.  There's plenty of trivia around the album and I have half a room full of memorabilia I could chat about,  but I'm already in tl:dr territory.

Favourite Tracks:  All of em but if I had to pick one - I'll go for one out of left field with On Fire.

Thanks guys  :metal :metal :metal   I can now get back to discovering new music and posting weird shit in the album listening thread - both of which i have missed.

Honourable Mention:  Brazen Abbott: Live and Learn
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 08:32:32 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #586 on: August 10, 2014, 07:45:51 AM »
I can't complain with this pick. Easily one of, if not THE best hard rock album of all time. :metal :metal

Nitro. :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #587 on: August 10, 2014, 08:13:27 AM »
I'm a 'best of' fan between the debut and 1984. Don't have any of the full albums. Have all the Hagar era albums, and regrettably III. Prim still a bigger Hagar era fan, but the debut is stunning.

Great list Brent ... I got some catching up to do on some albums.  But hey!  Here's an HM that I already know (thanks Paul). 
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #588 on: August 10, 2014, 08:27:52 AM »
I had to buy this album twice because I wore the first one down! :metal

Awesome #1!!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #589 on: August 10, 2014, 09:37:15 AM »
Amazing debut!!

Brent, excellent job with this list and with the write ups.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #590 on: August 10, 2014, 09:40:54 AM »
Amazing debut!!

Brent, excellent job with this list and with the write ups.
Amen, Brother.

Love early VH. They do NOT get nearly enough mentions around these parts.

Offline FreezingPoint

« Reply #591 on: August 10, 2014, 10:36:33 AM »
Had to bring these out again since you mentioned Nitro:

Van Halen...just amazing. I started myself on The Best Of, Vol. 1. It was one of those albums that changed my musical life, back when I was 10 or so. I had no idea that they changed singers or anything like that, but I distinctly remember parts of that album blowing me away. The opening to Ain't Talkin' Bout Love, listening to Can't Stop Lovin' You a million times, and the solo section in Humans Being.

But the first Van Halen album that I bought and listened to all the way through was the debut. It is probably my favorite of the Roth era albums. What tone. I've tried to get that sound, and have come pretty close sometimes, but something about that Van Halen I guitar sound just has something more - just magical in a sense. I also think it is probably the most consistent song wise of the Roth era.

I ended up actually transitioning in to the Sammy albums - or at least liking them better, but over the years I have a new found appreciation for the early stuff. I always loved VHI, but decided to explore the rest of the early catalog in more depth over time. I really like VHII - especially Women In Love, and Fair Warning. The ones that I am not too big on, and think are their weakest albums, are Women And Children, and Diver Down. Especially Diver Down. I just don't like too much on that record.

I really do like the Hagar era, especially 5150 and F.U.C.K. Unfortunately, while Eddie was still a great guitar player, there isn't too much as the albums progress that blows me away. A shame really. As the band (in my opinion) became more consistent and better songwriters, the guitar playing almost too a backseat to the song. (I feel this especially on F.U.C.K. However, The Dream Is Over solo:  :metal) Of course, depending on your view, this could be a good thing. Songs don't need crazy guitar fills all the time. But when I need that early VH style, I have plenty to choose from.

I agree about OU812. There are some good things happening on that album, and it is underrated, but it does have its problems. It would be tough to follow 5150, and Eddie's guitar sound on that album is probably my least favorite of the Hagar era. Too much of the Eventide IMO. Not crisp enough.

In any case, good list. There are a bunch of albums you mentioned that I have to check out and catch up on. Great job.
avenuex.bandcamp.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #592 on: August 10, 2014, 11:00:51 AM »
I like OU812 a lot, especially when it came out. Seems to have personality. I did not take to 5150 at first, though it has aged quite well

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #593 on: August 10, 2014, 12:43:42 PM »
I was expecting 5150 as number 1. In anticipation I listened to it yesterday and its still 2/3 great 1/3 crap - and I guessed wrong. As I said in my top 50 I'd take Eat Em And Smile over it by a mile.
VH I is a great album and a fitting No 1. Like all VH albums for me its got a couple of poorer tracks but there's no arguing witht he impact.

Fair Warning made my top 50 and is my favourite, followed by 1984. The rest have a few good tracks here and there.

Hated OU812, still do.

FUCK and SS were better. Still enjoy those two. III was utter crap. So glad I didn't buy that one.

Its been a great ride and lived up to big expectations.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #594 on: August 11, 2014, 05:48:36 AM »
I'm a casual VH fan, but appreciate the pick.

Great list man, well done.