Author Topic: Mike Portnoy  (Read 193444 times)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Re: Mike Portnoy
« Reply #1575 on: October 22, 2016, 04:52:39 PM »
*sigh* You know you spend too much time in front of a computer when you see the + and click it out of habit, expecting a list to appear below it.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1576 on: October 22, 2016, 05:05:40 PM »
Really ? i'm not familiar with that at all ??

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #1577 on: October 22, 2016, 09:10:38 PM »
Who's to say Mangini won't do something like that too?

Well if the electricity went out, then he wouldn't have a click track.  :biggrin:

Good one!
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline red barchetta

« Reply #1578 on: October 22, 2016, 09:27:05 PM »
For those who follow NHL hockey, let me make an example that to me is a bit like Portnoy's story. Montreal's P.K. Subban was outspoken, flashy, very popular, totally dedicated to his team but also his own enterprise (clothing, advertising), the spotlights were often on him. He surely made some of his teamates crazy, he never slowed down, probably close to take ritalin, making some teamates jalous. Subban probably was annoying the management with all his outside business and schedule being heavy but he was one of the few players giving always his 100%.

So, some of that is like Portnoy who had multiple things outside DT that certainly bothered the other guys and I don't think he was really getting along very well with one or two of them.

Portnoy had a lot of qualities but not necessarely fun to be around since the focus on DT was different than his bandmates.

I don't know if you get my drift, Subban's personality and MP's are wild. Sometimes you have got to go with a change and both stories have something in common.

Offline red barchetta

« Reply #1579 on: October 22, 2016, 09:30:46 PM »
During the BCASL tour in Montreal, electricity power went down. For about 15 minutes, Portnoy alone stayed on stage, playing as hard as he could his drums, driving the amazed crowd up on their feet doing a drum solo and rock classic covers. A unique, fun, entertaining person.

Is there a recording of this anywhere?

I don't know, maybe on Youtube. I was there, close to the stage. I remember reading something about that moment. Let me have a look and I will post it if I find it.

Offline red barchetta

« Reply #1580 on: October 22, 2016, 09:40:20 PM »
I agree with you Prog that the wow was gone towards the end with MP but with MM I didn't really see any wow to begin with. Before people lose their shit let me just say he is a mega talented drummer but he reminds me a bit of Rusty Cooley; a technical savage but that's about it.

I'm going to check out his extreme videos and see if that changes my mind.

I agree, he blew me the first time I saw him because he is very technical and amazingly fast but he is kind of stiff behind his skins. I have a perception of drummers à la Keith Moon. Great and spectacular.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1581 on: October 22, 2016, 09:44:57 PM »
I agree with you Prog that the wow was gone towards the end with MP but with MM I didn't really see any wow to begin with. Before people lose their shit let me just say he is a mega talented drummer but he reminds me a bit of Rusty Cooley; a technical savage but that's about it.

I agree, he blew me the first time I saw him because he is very technical and amazingly fast but he is kind of stiff behind his skins. I have a perception of drummers à la Keith Moon. Great and spectacular.

.....I would suggest re-reading the first half of your post and editing it a bit.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline red barchetta

« Reply #1582 on: October 22, 2016, 09:47:16 PM »
During the BCASL tour in Montreal, electricity power went down. For about 15 minutes, Portnoy alone stayed on stage, playing as hard as he could his drums, driving the amazed crowd up on their feet doing a drum solo and rock classic covers. A unique, fun, entertaining person.

I don't know, maybe on Youtube. I was there, close to the stage. I remember reading something about that moment. Let me have a look and I will post it if I find it.
https://youtu.be/7vV7XfjP04U

There you go

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1583 on: October 22, 2016, 10:20:05 PM »

There you go

:metal that's awesome

.....I would suggest re-reading the first half of your post and editing it a bit.

:lol

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1584 on: October 22, 2016, 10:43:44 PM »
For those who follow NHL hockey, let me make an example that to me is a bit like Portnoy's story. Montreal's P.K. Subban was outspoken, flashy, very popular, totally dedicated to his team but also his own enterprise (clothing, advertising), the spotlights were often on him. He surely made some of his teamates crazy, he never slowed down, probably close to take ritalin, making some teamates jalous. Subban probably was annoying the management with all his outside business and schedule being heavy but he was one of the few players giving always his 100%.

Subban did a good amount of charity work too if I recall correctly, no?  I don't know what Montreal was doing trading him, especially when a few years back they agreed to a huge contract (over $9 million a year?) and he wasn't slacking in the stats department, no?  Anyway, yeah, I can see the comparisons between Subban and Portnoy.  You can't say they didn't produce results that the fans are looking for, even if their personalities irks various people.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 01:33:05 AM by Anguyen92 »

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1585 on: October 22, 2016, 10:54:24 PM »

Please don't.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1586 on: October 22, 2016, 11:18:56 PM »
MP really does care about his fans
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1587 on: October 23, 2016, 06:32:59 AM »

Wow. I mean, that video really drives home the point. James heads immediately backstage after just a few seconds, and the other guys quickly follow suit. MP is the only one who sticks around to entertain the fans. I mean, not that James could have done much, but it looked almost demonstratively the way he left the stage the moment his job was over.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 06:43:10 AM by rumborak »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1588 on: October 23, 2016, 07:53:11 AM »

Please don't.

That would certainly bring the wow factor back for me. :zydarscouch:

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1589 on: October 23, 2016, 05:29:21 PM »

Wow. I mean, that video really drives home the point. James heads immediately backstage after just a few seconds, and the other guys quickly follow suit. MP is the only one who sticks around to entertain the fans. I mean, not that James could have done much, but it looked almost demonstratively the way he left the stage the moment his job was over.

Those holes aren't going to dig themselves.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1590 on: October 23, 2016, 05:43:51 PM »
That's one of those things you miss about MP. He'll always try to find some way to make the best of a bad situation. Whether he sings for James who hasn't arrived on stage or he'll take a moment like that one in the video and give the fans something to cheer or laugh about.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1591 on: October 23, 2016, 06:27:53 PM »

There you go

That was awesome.

Also, while I'm not a huge fan of most of the tracks in that set, that was one of the best setlists MP ever put together. The pacing, with each song a little fast than the previous one, was genius. It built up the energy perfectly.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1592 on: October 23, 2016, 06:47:43 PM »
I doubt they all went back there to relax on the couch. They were probably investigating the problem.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1593 on: October 23, 2016, 08:30:02 PM »
Eh, that's not what you do usually as a musician, as it is entirely outside of your control. You may inquire quickly about the status of things, but venue PA is not something you have anything to do with.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1594 on: October 23, 2016, 09:02:12 PM »
And the musicians getting involved like that end up being a nuisance. I imagine the sound guys were relieved that MP stayed on the kit during the outage.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline red barchetta

« Reply #1595 on: October 23, 2016, 09:52:35 PM »

I have no idea what you are talking about

Offline red barchetta

« Reply #1596 on: October 23, 2016, 10:02:16 PM »

Subban did a good amount of charity work too if I recall correctly, no?  I don't know what Montreal was doing trading him, especially when a few years back theFy agreed to a huge contract (over $9 million a year?) and he wasn't slacking in the stats department, no?  Anyway, yeah, I can see the comparisons between Subban and Portnoy.  You can't say they didn't produce results that the fans are looking for, even if their personalities irks various people.

All you are saying is true. And Subban is giving one million each year to the Montreal children hospital. He is giving a lot to others and it kind of put the organization in the shadow. He was taking a lot of space in and out the hockey team. Montreal made a very good trade. They will probably be better now. In 4-5 years, maybe not because Subban is younger. But I really liked him. His ego is huge but I did not care because he was showing up every single game. That is something just a few are doing.

Offline red barchetta

« Reply #1597 on: October 23, 2016, 10:09:24 PM »

By stiff I meant he does not show a lot of emotions.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1598 on: October 23, 2016, 10:12:16 PM »

I meant you should probably add the word "away" after "blew me".
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline red barchetta

« Reply #1599 on: October 23, 2016, 10:17:39 PM »

There you go

That was awesome.

Also, while I'm not a huge fan of most of the tracks in that set, that was one of the best setlists MP ever put together. The pacing, with each song a little fast than the previous one, was genius. It built up the energy perfectly.

I remember that show very well. They were opening for Iron Maiden but I was there for the 40 minutes of DT, stage right very close to JP. I enjoyed it a lot, it was worth it.

Offline red barchetta

« Reply #1600 on: October 23, 2016, 10:27:28 PM »

I meant you should probably add the word "away" after "blew me".

Well I guess it made you laugh. I'm french, my english is pretty good but I do forget to be more precise. But thank you, I have learn it.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1601 on: October 24, 2016, 01:09:44 AM »
Way to deflate a joke.  :lol

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1602 on: October 24, 2016, 07:32:03 AM »

In all fairness, MP was literally the only one that could make any noise. What did you think the other guys would do? JP could stand there strumming his guitar  :lol James could speak to the crowd through his non-functioning mic  :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1603 on: October 24, 2016, 08:29:09 AM »
Well, you're talking to someone who has always thought that James is lacking in the frontman department. You're right, he couldn't *talk* to the audience. But a simple "now the left half of the audience raise their arms ... now the right half!" would have easily bridged the time as well. In fact, it would have been more effective than MP's drumming, which nobody really could hear either.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1604 on: October 24, 2016, 08:48:33 AM »
Well, you're talking to someone who has always thought that James is lacking in the frontman department. You're right, he couldn't *talk* to the audience. But a simple "now the left half of the audience raise their arms ... now the right half!" would have easily bridged the time as well. In fact, it would have been more effective than MP's drumming, which nobody really could hear either.

Yeah, true. Just seems anti-James' personality to do something like that. But, I guess that's your point, right?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1605 on: October 24, 2016, 10:05:47 AM »
Iron Maiden lost power when I saw them.  Bruce Dickinson brought out a soccer ball and got the rest of the band involved with kicking it around to keep the crowd entertained.  The singer most certainly could do something without power.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1606 on: October 24, 2016, 10:59:13 AM »
I can see how that must have bugged MP to no end. He is such a huge music fan himself, and adores all these bands with super strong frontmen. I think his theatrics behind the drumkit may well have been because he felt he needed to compensate.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 11:05:28 AM by rumborak »

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1607 on: October 24, 2016, 11:38:52 AM »
That Iron Maiden show was my introduction to DT. Didn't know much about them at all before and it was probably the only show where I spent most of the time watching the drummer.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1608 on: October 24, 2016, 12:45:07 PM »
That Iron Maiden show was my introduction to DT. Didn't know much about them at all before and it was probably the only show where I spent most of the time watching the drummer.

My introduction to DT was also opening for Iron Maiden...........in 1992. ;D
But I also just stared in amazement at the drummer.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1609 on: October 24, 2016, 01:16:00 PM »
My introduction to Iron Maiden was through DT forums.  I thought the drummer was pretty good.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."