Author Topic: Mike Portnoy  (Read 193470 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Mike Portnoy
« Reply #1540 on: October 21, 2016, 01:35:07 PM »
I've seen them live with MP and post MP.

With Portnoy on the BC&SL tour, the only person that looked like they were having a good time was Portnoy. Seeing them on the Dramatic tour was night and day. They looked united as a band, and I enjoyed the concert significantly more.

Speaks volumes. :biggrin:

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1541 on: October 21, 2016, 01:40:42 PM »
A fun-filled Portnoy beats 5 united other guys in terms of excitement. Not even close. I saw the ADToE tour 5 times, for some reason (seriously, quite the mystery) and one show was excellent. The other four might as well have been watching the DVD version in my living room. I fully get that the other guys are happier with out him, and I don't blame them, but all of them combined lack his energy and excitement from night to night.

Suffice it to say, I miss MP tremendously as a member of DT. I'm equally glad that he's out doing his thing, which is many ways is better.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1542 on: October 21, 2016, 01:41:38 PM »
I miss Portnoy, he had a unique and spectacular style. And to be honest, I'm sure they would have done better music if he hasn't left.

I'll take cheesy over the top James Nafaryus over tough guy Mike Narfaryus anyday, and you know he'd have fought to sing that role.

The natural progression from SC to BCSL to the next album with Portnoy still in the band would have been something cringeworthy to me. Not saying those albums are all bad, but there's plenty I don't like about them, and it's because of Portnoy and his Inspiration Corner bullshit.
You're probably correct. But while the post-MP stuff is fresher, it's also lifeless to me. Portnoy's presence wouldn't have made for better music, but his absence didn't, either.

And I'm not sure the "inspiration corner" part is fair. The best song on DT was a fucking Rush song.  :lol

While I like The Looking Glass, it certainly isn't the best song on that album. Similar riffs, and lyrical subject matter don't make it a Rush song either. Obviously Rush is influential to them, but it's hardly a rip off.

We may not have gotten Images and Words Part 2, but we would have gotten more roars, and "death metal" crap. Hey, I can tolerate some death growls here and there, but for starters, Mike's attempt in the ANTR demo clip did not sound good, and his tough guy shouting is even worse. I liked his backing vocals on previous albums, but when he takes lead it is NOT WELL. They lost something both good and bad when Portnoy left, but at least the bad is gone, right?

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1543 on: October 21, 2016, 01:49:12 PM »
I miss Portnoy, he had a unique and spectacular style. And to be honest, I'm sure they would have done better music if he hasn't left.

I'll take cheesy over the top James Nafaryus over tough guy Mike Narfaryus anyday, and you know he'd have fought to sing that role.

The natural progression from SC to BCSL to the next album with Portnoy still in the band would have been something cringeworthy to me. Not saying those albums are all bad, but there's plenty I don't like about them, and it's because of Portnoy and his Inspiration Corner bullshit.
You're probably correct. But while the post-MP stuff is fresher, it's also lifeless to me. Portnoy's presence wouldn't have made for better music, but his absence didn't, either.

And I'm not sure the "inspiration corner" part is fair. The best song on DT was a fucking Rush song.  :lol

While I like The Looking Glass, it certainly isn't the best song on that album. Similar riffs, and lyrical subject matter don't make it a Rush song either. Obviously Rush is influential to them, but it's hardly a rip off.
Nah. You'd have to throw in guitar tone, instrumentation, vocal melodies, backing vocals, and song structure for it to be a Rush song.  :lol Seriously, you put that between Losing It and Countdown and it's a perfect fit. I'm not bagging on them, it's a very good song in the style of one of their biggest influences, I applaud them for it, but it's no less an homage than anything MP was doing.

Oh, and 1+1-1=1. Losing an equal amount of good and bad still makes it, well, you fill in the blank.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1544 on: October 21, 2016, 01:52:42 PM »
Well, the whole "homage" part of DT was always just as much JP as it was Portnoy. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1545 on: October 21, 2016, 01:56:17 PM »
This is true. They had the controlling interest in what the band put out for the most part.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1546 on: October 21, 2016, 02:01:32 PM »
It was certainly a crippling blow to DT, but after seeing WD on the Hot Streak tour I'm pretty happy with that half of it. My prediction was that the split would lead to better music from both camps. I was half right.

I think, for me, it was fully right.  I am one of the few that loved BCSL, but post MP DT has been better IMO than the few albums before MP left.... and MP's work in WD is really really awesome and I had a blast seeing them on that same tour.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1547 on: October 21, 2016, 02:53:43 PM »
It was certainly a crippling blow to DT, but after seeing WD on the Hot Streak tour I'm pretty happy with that half of it. My prediction was that the split would lead to better music from both camps. I was half right.

I think, for me, it was fully right.  I am one of the few that loved BCSL, but post MP DT has been better IMO than the few albums before MP left.... and MP's work in WD is really really awesome and I had a blast seeing them on that same tour.
I'm alright with that as an assessment. I'm always far more concerned with the live aspect than the studio, so I don't pay much attention to albums. I honestly lump everything after ToT into one big "everything else" category. From my perspective you've got a five way tie for 13th down there, so my opinion of the pre and post albums is pretty much meaningless. It's the live side that's heartbreaking to me.
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1548 on: October 21, 2016, 03:02:46 PM »
Sadly the live side took a hit with this current tour, but I saw the ADTOE tour twice and DT12 three times and those were a blast for me.

While I certainly miss the rotating setlists, what they did with alternating setlists on the ADTOE tour was really a perfectly fine way to keep the fan base happy IMO.

I also think the added visuals from the DT12 tour (that huge screen was awesome) and TA tours were nice additions to the live show.  But they definitely are missing that MP/fan interactions that added to the live experience.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1549 on: October 21, 2016, 04:10:46 PM »
That's what happens when you have an overly bombastic member that decides to quit. You can only pick up so much of what they left.

It's the music I'm there for in all reality. Hence why I close my eyes at times to soak it in.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1550 on: October 21, 2016, 04:24:48 PM »
I think that MP had a great live presence and really took DT live to another level. I won't lie, I was intrigued to see how DT was going to turn out post-MP and I really feel like they are missing something.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1551 on: October 21, 2016, 04:44:22 PM »
I feel the opposite.  I have seen them live every tour (multiple times for the first two tours), and I thought they were fantastic live, every single time.  Yeah, there is a different atmosphere.  But I didn't feel they were missing a thing.  Only different.

In studio, the drum mix unfortunately has made the drums feel lacking, as has been discussed ad nauseum.  So even though they haven't lost a step in the drumming department at all, it can feel that way from listening to the albums because that punch is often missing.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1552 on: October 21, 2016, 04:54:36 PM »
MP was the heart and soul of Dream Theater.
Without him, they lose a hell of a lot.
I have been a fan since WDADU, but I am not longer interested in anything new from them.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1553 on: October 21, 2016, 04:59:10 PM »
I am a big fan of all three Mangini records, although I would concede that Portnoy is the more enjoyable and fun drummer to listen to.  Mangini is a beast from a technical standpoint, but his playing is a bit too clinical.  But, despite that, the songwriting since he's been in the band has been mostly great.

I think where DT misses Portnoy the most is promotion.  Portnoy was great at giving updates online and getting the fans excited about a new album, tour, etc. It seems like no one in the band right now gives a rip about having an online presence to get the fans excited.  Token updates on FB that are likely done by Roadrunner aren't even close to the same thing.  Even if Portnoy overstated things, he at least got you excited that, hey, maybe the album was gonna be awesome.

Live, I didn't notice a difference when I saw them twice on the DT12 tour.  I am seeing them in 16 days here in St. Louis, so we'll see how that goes.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1554 on: October 21, 2016, 05:50:39 PM »
I miss the spontaneity he brought, even if it didn't actually show up. When he was there you never really knew what you were going to get. It might be the exact same show as the night before. It might not. And it's not just the rotating setlists. How many various ways have they played PMU? Maybe the last song burn-out ending evolves into Damage Inc. Maybe JP has a talk-box onstage that night because they were going to play HOme later and decides to play with it elsewhere. During the big ending for PMU on his last tour, opening for Maiden, MP slipped in the drum intro to Where Eagles Dare. If I see them in a few weeks, the big JP solo in ANB will be exactly the same as it was the other times I saw it. Not one measure longer. With everything synched to the click I doubt it's even possible anymore. It feels more like going to see a movie than a rock concert. I know plenty of people prefer it this way, but to me it's a huge loss. They were really good at making things interesting, and that's one of the things MP took with him.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1555 on: October 21, 2016, 05:54:36 PM »
MP is like that chick that the sex is everything you dream of but out of the bed it's nothing but trouble.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1556 on: October 21, 2016, 10:20:13 PM »
A fun-filled Portnoy beats 5 united other guys in terms of excitement. Not even close. I saw the ADToE tour 5 times, for some reason (seriously, quite the mystery) and one show was excellent. The other four might as well have been watching the DVD version in my living room. I fully get that the other guys are happier with out him, and I don't blame them, but all of them combined lack his energy and excitement from night to night.

Suffice it to say, I miss MP tremendously as a member of DT. I'm equally glad that he's out doing his thing, which is many ways is better.

I saw them on the DT12 tour, and they played flawlessly, but it was the most dull show I've been to. Spent the entire show posting on DTF, actually. :lol Like you said, basically like watching a DVD, hearing the songs performed exactly like the CD, looked like they were going through the motions really. I'm glad the band is happier with the situation, but I'm with you as far as the live shows go with/without MP.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #1557 on: October 21, 2016, 11:04:25 PM »
During the BCASL tour in Montreal, electricity power went down. For about 15 minutes, Portnoy alone stayed on stage, playing as hard as he could his drums, driving the amazed crowd up on their feet doing a drum solo and rock classic covers. A unique, fun, entertaining person.
With all respect, sincerely yours

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1558 on: October 22, 2016, 08:14:48 AM »
During the BCASL tour in Montreal, electricity power went down. For about 15 minutes, Portnoy alone stayed on stage, playing as hard as he could his drums, driving the amazed crowd up on their feet doing a drum solo and rock classic covers. A unique, fun, entertaining person.

:metal :metal that is awesome

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1559 on: October 22, 2016, 12:05:26 PM »
For all his faults, that is one thing you've got to give Portnoy; he genuinely wants fans to come to the shows and have a great time.  Being such a big music fan, he clearly takes the "this is what I would want if I were a fan" attitude.  You cannot fault him for that.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1560 on: October 22, 2016, 01:22:51 PM »
Who's to say Mangini won't do something like that too?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1561 on: October 22, 2016, 01:23:43 PM »

Well if the electricity went out, then he wouldn't have a click track.  :biggrin:
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1562 on: October 22, 2016, 01:40:06 PM »

Is there a recording of this anywhere?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1563 on: October 22, 2016, 01:42:16 PM »

Well if the electricity went out, then he wouldn't have a click track.  :biggrin:

Ouch.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1564 on: October 22, 2016, 01:53:37 PM »
Easy fellas. :lol. We all know the click track is for the damn screen.  That's why they need to stop the videos lining up with the song. It would make MM  sound organic.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1565 on: October 22, 2016, 01:54:43 PM »
Easy fellas. :lol. We all know the click track is for the damn screen.  That's why they need to stop the videos lining up with the song. It would make MM  sound organic.

Oh I know, just making an easy joke.

I'm actually a big Mangini fan (more as a drummer though, and not quite as much as DT's drummer).

Also, the click is also for the heavy amount of backing tracks, and because JP has even said they prefer even tempos, rather than speeding up/slowing down at times throughout the night.

I'm fairly confident that even if they ditched all of the screens and backing tracks, they'd keep the click.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline dtvoices94

« Reply #1566 on: October 22, 2016, 01:58:50 PM »
     I miss the ancillary things he did while in DT plus the open and direct communication with the fans.  Musically, I felt that SC and BC&SL were not on par with their predecessors. 
     The last three DT albums could sit at the top right below the DT album Mt Rushmore (I&W, Awake, Scenes, & Six Degrees) so in that sense, it's not a deal breaker that he's gone.  Plus, he quit the band and truthfully he overplayed his hand and lost.  I'd love to see him back just for his charisma alone, but not at the expense of the current dynamic which really seems to be working like never before.
     At the end of the day, Mike played on my favorite DT albums and A Change of Seasons is probably my favorite DT song but he also quit my favorite band but his post-DT output (especially with Neal) has been stellar (A-Mob aside) so in that sense, it's a win/win.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1567 on: October 22, 2016, 02:18:07 PM »

Oh I know, just making an easy joke.

I'm actually a big Mangini fan (more as a drummer though, and not quite as much as DT's drummer).

Also, the click is also for the heavy amount of backing tracks, and because JP has even said they prefer even tempos, rather than speeding up/slowing down at times throughout the night.

I'm fairly confident that even if they ditched all of the screens and backing tracks, they'd keep the click.

When I saw him with Extreme,  he was a groove machine. There was swing in his playing and powerful.   That's what a lot of us are missing with MP.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1568 on: October 22, 2016, 03:25:42 PM »
I am a big fan of all three Mangini records, although I would concede that Portnoy is the more enjoyable and fun drummer to listen to.  Mangini is a beast from a technical standpoint, but his playing is a bit too clinical.  But, despite that, the songwriting since he's been in the band has been mostly great.

I think where DT misses Portnoy the most is promotion.  Portnoy was great at giving updates online and getting the fans excited about a new album, tour, etc. It seems like no one in the band right now gives a rip about having an online presence to get the fans excited.  Token updates on FB that are likely done by Roadrunner aren't even close to the same thing.  Even if Portnoy overstated things, he at least got you excited that, hey, maybe the album was gonna be awesome.

Live, I didn't notice a difference when I saw them twice on the DT12 tour.  I am seeing them in 16 days here in St. Louis, so we'll see how that goes.

I certainly prefer MM's playing more because of his versatility and his passion. While MP also carries that passion, The last few albums with DT his drumming became more predictable. It was a bit of a letdown. As great of a drummer as he is, he stopped impressing me with that and what is missed more is his passion for the band itself, like the online presence. However, lately his online presence has showed us how sensitive he is to a little criticism. That has became more apparent since he left the band which doesn't surprise me the slightest.

That letdown was alleviated when MM joined. MM brought a whole new side to the drumming aspect of DT. Surely his presence on the album seems a bit "robotic" as some people call it, but I've seen him live enough times to realize how much passion he puts into what his playing. Some people don't like overly technical playing while other people do. Neither one is "right" or "wrong". It's a matter of taste and curiosity.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1569 on: October 22, 2016, 03:40:05 PM »
I always thought MP was the perfect blend of technical and organic. I wouldn't have change the ratio either direction.
E.F. Benson

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1570 on: October 22, 2016, 03:46:45 PM »
I don't think that's an incorrect statement. I just feel like his technical side became predictable with the last few albums. I wasn't wow'd anymore by seeing what else he could do behind the drumkit. I don't think it caused me like the music any less. There are so many elements to a Dream Theater song that there's always something that grabs you, even if one of them is lacking.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1571 on: October 22, 2016, 03:55:19 PM »
I always thought MP was the perfect blend of technical and organic. I wouldn't have change the ratio either direction.

This is so right.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1572 on: October 22, 2016, 04:04:28 PM »
I agree with you Prog that the wow was gone towards the end with MP but with MM I didn't really see any wow to begin with. Before people lose their shit let me just say he is a mega talented drummer but he reminds me a bit of Rusty Cooley; a technical savage but that's about it.

I'm going to check out his extreme videos and see if that changes my mind.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1573 on: October 22, 2016, 04:13:57 PM »
I agree with you Prog that the wow was gone towards the end with MP but with MM I didn't really see any wow to begin with. Before people lose their shit let me just say he is a mega talented drummer but he reminds me a bit of Rusty Cooley; a technical savage but that's about it.

I'm going to check out his extreme videos and see if that changes my mind.

https://youtu.be/7a-6lma_6AY

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1574 on: October 22, 2016, 04:26:28 PM »
I went to my Dad's house one time and he was listening to a new Neal Morse album but I didn't know it at the time.

I knew it must have been having not heard a crotchet from it because I instantly recognised MP's drumming style.

That can be both a good and bad thing.

+ having a recognisable style

- being able to identify a drummer from the fills and tricks he does in every song.