Author Topic: Mike Portnoy  (Read 195575 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Mike Portnoy
« Reply #1260 on: May 13, 2015, 04:35:14 PM »
I think the Journey parts to balls out metal is what I love about DT.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1261 on: May 13, 2015, 04:35:48 PM »
That's bizarre. There's a passing similarity to Journey, I guess, but it's nowhere near the blatant "influences" they had on later albums.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1262 on: May 13, 2015, 04:39:29 PM »
Well that was MP's description, but I was so surprised by his perception of DT's fans and his close mindedness on the subject.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1263 on: May 13, 2015, 06:05:55 PM »
I kinda hear it, but that outro is more Dregs than anything else. I always liked the huge blend of styles on the early DT albums anyway. They need more of that IMO.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1264 on: May 13, 2015, 06:48:13 PM »
The guitar outro on IF is one of my all time DT highlights - maybe they need Neal Schon as a musical director.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1265 on: May 13, 2015, 09:06:07 PM »
That outro is just so bright and cheery and the way it builds up is fantastic. And they really haven't done anything like that since....  :(
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline 425

« Reply #1266 on: May 13, 2015, 09:24:53 PM »
I don't recall what he said. Jog my mind please?
During the IF Outro, he mentions that it is real Journey-ish, and says that DT fans would never let them get away with that these days. I'm paraphrasing, but when I heard it, it jumped out at me. That's a great song, and a vocal like that and a mesmerizing outro like that would be welcomed by DT fans.

I haven't heard this commentary, so I could be totally off-base, but is it possible that this was a jab at the fans who criticized songs like Never Enough and I Walk Beside You for too closely resembling their influences?
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1267 on: May 14, 2015, 06:08:18 AM »
I kinda hear it, but that outro is more Dregs than anything else.
This.  That outro has never seemed Journeyish to me.  I was confused when he said that, because it seems so blatantly in the veing of the Dixie Dregs, who were a big influence on JP.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1268 on: May 14, 2015, 06:10:13 AM »
It sounds a bit Journey-ish at the very start when it's just the chords, but as soon as the guitar breaks off into the lead, not at all.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Deathless

« Reply #1269 on: May 14, 2015, 01:53:21 PM »
So Dave Mustaine did an interview with Rolling Stone, and he admitted that he reached out to Portnoy about becoming the drummer for Megadeth after Shawn Drover left.

How does Chris Adler fit into this equation?
Our hopes were to have a permanent drummer, but the option to do a record with Chris was really exciting to me. So I thought, "Well, we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. We'll figure out what we're gonna do about live shows, who's gonna take the drum throne." And we've looked at a lot of people. I talked with my friend [ex-Dream Theater drummer] Mike Portnoy, who I think is an amazing talent. I talked to [ex-Slayer drummer] Dave Lombardo. [Current Dream Theater drummer] Mike Mangini's name has come up. But there was just something telling me to pause, saying, "Really think about who you're gonna play with, Mustaine. Make sure you're going to do something that's really going to excite people and that is not predictable." But we do have some live shows coming up and we have a drummer committed to our dates so far this year.

The funny thing is he also mentioned Mike Mangini as well.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1270 on: May 14, 2015, 02:48:50 PM »
I wonder if MP's dramatic post-DT history was a bit of a red flag for Dave.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1271 on: May 14, 2015, 03:51:25 PM »
In what way? Dave's no stranger to drama.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1272 on: May 14, 2015, 04:05:55 PM »
So Dave Mustaine did an interview with Rolling Stone, and he admitted that he reached out to Portnoy about becoming the drummer for Megadeth after Shawn Drover left.

How does Chris Adler fit into this equation?
Our hopes were to have a permanent drummer, but the option to do a record with Chris was really exciting to me. So I thought, "Well, we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. We'll figure out what we're gonna do about live shows, who's gonna take the drum throne." And we've looked at a lot of people. I talked with my friend [ex-Dream Theater drummer] Mike Portnoy, who I think is an amazing talent. I talked to [ex-Slayer drummer] Dave Lombardo. [Current Dream Theater drummer] Mike Mangini's name has come up. But there was just something telling me to pause, saying, "Really think about who you're gonna play with, Mustaine. Make sure you're going to do something that's really going to excite people and that is not predictable." But we do have some live shows coming up and we have a drummer committed to our dates so far this year.

The funny thing is he also mentioned Mike Mangini as well.

Drama aside and to MP's defense, he has a bunch of dates already lined up with Twisted Sister and The Winery Dogs. Not sure if some of the dates that Megadeth has booked already overlap with MP's. But yes, both guys are used to drama

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1273 on: May 14, 2015, 06:15:43 PM »
In what way? Dave's no stranger to drama.

*His* drama. Pretty sure he wouldn't want to divert the focus from himself :D

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1274 on: May 14, 2015, 06:19:19 PM »
That makes sense.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #1275 on: May 14, 2015, 07:23:53 PM »
Ass Sells but Who's Balling?
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1276 on: May 14, 2015, 08:39:25 PM »
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1277 on: May 14, 2015, 09:50:08 PM »
Mike Mangini's name came up? 

Imagine if MM did session drums for Megadeth...then did the first leg of the Megadeth tour...then went to the Dream Theater guys and asked for a five year break and said they could come back bigger and better than ever just like the Stone Temple Pilots. 

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1278 on: May 15, 2015, 02:21:38 AM »
 :lol
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1279 on: May 15, 2015, 06:13:51 AM »
MP could have done it...as far as I know Chris Adler is not a fixed member, but a temporary one, right? MP could have joined in a similar capacity. And how cool would that be?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1280 on: May 15, 2015, 06:17:07 AM »
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1281 on: May 15, 2015, 08:45:29 AM »
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline 425

« Reply #1282 on: May 15, 2015, 11:51:57 PM »

I would be shocked if this was the case. Absolutely stunned. Because the fact is, for as much as people in the DT fanbase like to slag on MP, no one who isn't either a fan of one of MP's projects or a Blabbermouth reader actually knows about most of his controversy, or if they do know, they don't really care or think any of it is a big deal.

Think about the specific incidents that DTF users cite as "drama" for MP. Most of it surrounds a band breakup, which was actually one of the less acrimonious band breakups in music history if you actually look at it. Look no further than Mustaine who just recently seems to have mostly gotten over being kicked out of a band in 1983. Or, if you must, look at the Queensrÿche debacle. Or the Pink Floyd dispute back in the 80s. All that happened with MP is he liked some negative Facebook comments about JLB, said some less-than flattering things about him, and had a little media spat with him that was mostly manufactured controversy by Blabbermouth and was quickly resolved.

The other incidents that constitute MP "drama" are basically all just ill-conceived social media posts. In the grand scheme of things, no one cares about ill-conceived social media posts by some drummer of a band they sorta like. Certainly Dave Mustaine, the veritable king of making ill-conceived statements in public, doesn't care about MP's Facebook page. This is the guy who had no problem talking about how he thinks that every mass-shooting is a government conspiracy. I don't think he cares that MP got mad one day and said some mean things about the speed of service he got in a hospital.

I get that MP's not a perfect human being. He's made some very public mistakes, and it's fair to call him out on those. It's also fair if you don't particularly like the guy knowing those things about him. But the whole "MP is so out of control, just a PR nightmare!" thing is overblown in the DT fanbase. As musicians go, his record is pretty clean. A family man by all accounts who is happily married with kids. Had a drug problem, yes, but turned it around and used his fame to, arguably, help others with similar problems through the 12SS. Close friends with a relatively well-renowned Christian rocker. No nasty rumors about drugs, sex, partying, no hint of bigotry, no abusive relationships. Just the occasional overreaction on Facebook. That's a pretty good record. Compared to a lot of musicians, it's practically spotless.

No well-known artist is going to look at that record and say "well, this guy is by all accounts an excellent musician, an excellent arranger, fairly good at helping with business and promotion, and he has a sizable fanbase, some of whom will buy anything he's involved in. But I just don't know, because all this Facebook business suggests that he could be quite a liability to our brand. Quite a loose cannon, this one." Dave Mustaine, a man who has done more cocaine than perhaps anyone alive and who is well known for repeatedly saying things that he shouldn't say to the press, often about Metallica, often about school shootings being false flag attacks by the U.S. government, is certainly not going to look at MP's record and think that.

Tl;dr: DT fans who criticize MP aren't necessarily wrong to criticize some particular incidents, but they are exaggerating his PR problems by a lot. There is no way that Dave Mustaine decided not to let MP play with Megadeth because of some stuff that he said on Facebook, because it's simply not that bad and because Dave himself is way more of a loose cannon than MP has ever been and will ever be.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1283 on: May 16, 2015, 05:01:09 PM »
You make a good point that a lot of this is overblown, especially for someone like Dave Mustaine who is clearly just looking for a temporary fill in drummer (even if it lasts a year or two). 

On that same token, I think you are downplaying the position MP put himself in.  Look no further than A7X and their statements regarding his "press releases" and the drama surrounding his actions.  Obviously Mike hasn't burned any bridges with the vast majority of people he has performed with (Neal Morse, Billy Sheehan, Paul Gilbert, etc) and you're right that the majority of people in the music industry don't dissect things the way people do on a message board BUT I think there probably are a lot more people than normal that might think twice before getting involved.  It makes you wonder if people like Mikael Åkerfeldt have avoided that ever demanded side project with Portnoy for that reason. 

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1284 on: May 16, 2015, 06:00:26 PM »
I don't doubt that the drama is a factor for many, but I'd have a hard time believing this is a factor for somebody like Dave Mustaine. It's pretty much a guarantee that there will be drama with whoever he works with. My guess is that MP turned it down.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1285 on: May 16, 2015, 06:20:48 PM »

I would be shocked if this was the case. Absolutely stunned. Because the fact is, for as much as people in the DT fanbase like to slag on MP, no one who isn't either a fan of one of MP's projects or a Blabbermouth reader actually knows about most of his controversy, or if they do know, they don't really care or think any of it is a big deal.

Think about the specific incidents that DTF users cite as "drama" for MP. Most of it surrounds a band breakup, which was actually one of the less acrimonious band breakups in music history if you actually look at it. Look no further than Mustaine who just recently seems to have mostly gotten over being kicked out of a band in 1983. Or, if you must, look at the Queensrÿche debacle. Or the Pink Floyd dispute back in the 80s. All that happened with MP is he liked some negative Facebook comments about JLB, said some less-than flattering things about him, and had a little media spat with him that was mostly manufactured controversy by Blabbermouth and was quickly resolved.

The other incidents that constitute MP "drama" are basically all just ill-conceived social media posts. In the grand scheme of things, no one cares about ill-conceived social media posts by some drummer of a band they sorta like. Certainly Dave Mustaine, the veritable king of making ill-conceived statements in public, doesn't care about MP's Facebook page. This is the guy who had no problem talking about how he thinks that every mass-shooting is a government conspiracy. I don't think he cares that MP got mad one day and said some mean things about the speed of service he got in a hospital.

I get that MP's not a perfect human being. He's made some very public mistakes, and it's fair to call him out on those. It's also fair if you don't particularly like the guy knowing those things about him. But the whole "MP is so out of control, just a PR nightmare!" thing is overblown in the DT fanbase. As musicians go, his record is pretty clean. A family man by all accounts who is happily married with kids. Had a drug problem, yes, but turned it around and used his fame to, arguably, help others with similar problems through the 12SS. Close friends with a relatively well-renowned Christian rocker. No nasty rumors about drugs, sex, partying, no hint of bigotry, no abusive relationships. Just the occasional overreaction on Facebook. That's a pretty good record. Compared to a lot of musicians, it's practically spotless.

No well-known artist is going to look at that record and say "well, this guy is by all accounts an excellent musician, an excellent arranger, fairly good at helping with business and promotion, and he has a sizable fanbase, some of whom will buy anything he's involved in. But I just don't know, because all this Facebook business suggests that he could be quite a liability to our brand. Quite a loose cannon, this one." Dave Mustaine, a man who has done more cocaine than perhaps anyone alive and who is well known for repeatedly saying things that he shouldn't say to the press, often about Metallica, often about school shootings being false flag attacks by the U.S. government, is certainly not going to look at MP's record and think that.

Tl;dr: DT fans who criticize MP aren't necessarily wrong to criticize some particular incidents, but they are exaggerating his PR problems by a lot. There is no way that Dave Mustaine decided not to let MP play with Megadeth because of some stuff that he said on Facebook, because it's simply not that bad and because Dave himself is way more of a loose cannon than MP has ever been and will ever be.
Great post 425.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1286 on: May 16, 2015, 07:46:04 PM »
I get that MP's not a perfect human being. He's made some very public mistakes, and it's fair to call him out on those. It's also fair if you don't particularly like the guy knowing those things about him. But the whole "MP is so out of control, just a PR nightmare!" thing is overblown in the DT fanbase. As musicians go, his record is pretty clean.

Btw, not necessarily disagreeing with you here, since it's very hard to judge how much those kinds of PR disasters travel around in musicians' circle, but I figured I'd point out that at least one band (A7X) pulled the plug on MP because the surrounding drama was untenable.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1287 on: May 16, 2015, 08:00:15 PM »
I think that case is slightly different because A7X was caught up in the middle of that drama. MP was with them right when the DT stuff was at its ugliest. Things have calmed down a ton since then. Having MP in your band wouldn't be as much of a press hazard.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1288 on: May 16, 2015, 11:01:58 PM »
I think that case is slightly different because A7X was caught up in the middle of that drama. MP was with them right when the DT stuff was at its ugliest. Things have calmed down a ton since then. Having MP in your band wouldn't be as much of a press hazard.

Not to mention he wasn't supposed to be a permanent member anyway. He was only supposed to be with them through 2010 to help them get used to doing the music thing without The Rev. Even if there was no post-breakup drama he wouldn't have stayed with A7X.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #1289 on: May 17, 2015, 07:08:06 AM »
Mike Mangini's name came up? I knew MM wasn't happy in DT, now he's started looking for other gigs. Prepare for drummer search v2.0

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1290 on: May 17, 2015, 07:57:01 AM »
MM is not happy in DT? That's news to me...

Offline 425

« Reply #1291 on: May 17, 2015, 09:02:56 AM »
Mike Mangini's name came up? I knew MM wasn't happy in DT, now he's started looking for other gigs. Prepare for drummer search v2.0

Dave Mustaine talking about asking MM =/= MM looking for other gigs.

Regarding the A7X thing: I wasn't around back then, but I always got the impression that MP and A7X mutually distanced themselves from each other because angry DT fans were blaming A7X for MP leaving, implying that MP was joining that band permanently, which was not the case.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1292 on: May 17, 2015, 09:15:03 AM »

Regarding the A7X thing: I wasn't around back then, but I always got the impression that MP and A7X mutually distanced themselves from each other because angry DT fans were blaming A7X for MP leaving, implying that MP was joining that band permanently, which was not the case.

Nah, it wasn't mutual.  It was pretty clear MP wanted to stay with the band and around the time A7X announced he wouldn't continue with the next leg MP posted something on twitter to the effect of "That just proves the only people you can trust are your family."  This was also around the time he asked to rejoin Dream Theater so it may have been more about that than A7X but he clearly was not a happy person. 

A7X distanced themselves from MP but whether it was because they didn't want to be known as "A7X with Mike Portnoy" as opposed to just A7X or because they were uncomfortable with the drama surrounding his exit from DT or a mixture of both, we can only speculate. 

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1293 on: May 17, 2015, 10:52:38 AM »
Avenged Sevenfold said they wanted the permanent replacement to be someone who wasn't famous so they could give a real opportunity to someone.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1294 on: May 17, 2015, 10:58:23 AM »

Mustaine talking about ANYONE =/= they were going to be offered the job as Megadeth's permanent drummer. I'd take with a massive grain of salt anything Mustaine says, especially since the end result of all of that is "wait a minute, let's not do the predictable." Not "MP was offered the job and turned it down" or "MM is as tired of being in DT as the people who said JR was going to leave after the last tour thought he was."  :lol

Seriously, where the fuck do people get these certainties about DT's members that aren't supported by facts from?
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.