Author Topic: Mike Portnoy  (Read 193455 times)

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Mike Portnoy
« Reply #1225 on: May 08, 2015, 04:40:38 PM »
By the way - is it just me - or whenever this thread is updated - does anyone else immediately think " Oh, what's he said this time ? " :P

This thread has basically become the place to shit post MP. People must have a lot of frustration to get out. :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1226 on: May 08, 2015, 05:01:06 PM »
I think it's also the situation in which he would come back that makes it unlikely.
I think it's safe to assume that DT will try to stick it out with MM. So, the only scenario where they would consider going back to MP would be as a marketing gimmick because nobody goes to their shows anymore. However, would MP really want to go back to something like that, as a kind of Dave Lee Roth soap opera? I just don't see it happening.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1227 on: May 08, 2015, 08:04:04 PM »
By the way - is it just me - or whenever this thread is updated - does anyone else immediately think " Oh, what's he said this time ? " :P

Not me. But I'd imagine I'm in the minority as usual

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1228 on: May 08, 2015, 08:04:19 PM »
One thing nobody has mentioned is that even if they did get along with MP alright, would they really want to deal with all the gossip that came along with it? 

-You can tell James is pissed because Mike keeps stealing the spotlight.-

-Their latest album was great thanks mostly to Portnoy!-

-John Myung isn't writing lyrics again because of Portnoy. -

The situation is pretty toxic.  It's not like they would go from playing theatres to playing arenas with a reunion so there isn't a whole lot of reason to do it unless DT's popularity dwindles so much that they have to resort to clubs.  Doesn't look like that will happen though. 

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1229 on: May 08, 2015, 08:34:44 PM »
I don't think James was ever pissed that Mike was stealing the spotlight, but that he was almost trying to take over as vocalist. I still think James' original takes on the Forsaken chorus are better than what made it to the album. Backing vocals are fine, but Mike kept adding more and more lead parts and they kept getting more ridiculous.

Offline 425

« Reply #1230 on: May 08, 2015, 09:24:47 PM »
The situation is pretty toxic.  It's not like they would go from playing theatres to playing arenas with a reunion so there isn't a whole lot of reason to do it unless DT's popularity dwindles so much that they have to resort to clubs.  Doesn't look like that will happen though. 

But you can't tell me they wouldn't consider it if Mangini left for some reason. I'm not saying they 100% would do it, but if Mangini quit the band they would absolutely consider bringing MP back.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1231 on: May 09, 2015, 06:38:06 AM »

But you can't tell me they wouldn't consider it if Mangini left for some reason. I'm not saying they 100% would do it, but if Mangini quit the band they would absolutely consider bringing MP back.

I love how people accept this as a given, even though there's little to no proof that the band would do it.

Dream Theater's moved on. MP seems to have moved on. The people who back this the most aren't either DT or MP, it's the fans. I genuinely think if MM left the band for whatever reason, they'd just replace him with another drummer. Bringing MP back just feels like taking a backwards step for the band. It is not a 100% impossibility-hell, the Eagles got back together and their break up made the split between DT and MP look positively sunny-but so many MP fans just seem to think DT is sitting around constantly behind MM's back thinking "dead man walking" just waiting for the excuse to bring MP back. And I just don't think they are.

I lean far more towards "one more big line up change would make the band retire" than I do "MP is going to come back" myself, but that's just as speculative as the assumption his return is inevitable.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1232 on: May 09, 2015, 08:14:31 AM »

They'd consider it inasmuch as it would be a possibility. The same as getting a new drummer or splitting up would also be possibilities.

None of can say for certain that if mangini left then they'd absolutely hire Portnoy back. And nobody can say for certain that they'd outright reject that idea

immediately.

But the only people who have made any noises about the possibility of Portnoy returning are the fans.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1233 on: May 10, 2015, 08:41:07 AM »

This thread has basically become the place to shit post MP. People must have a lot of frustration to get out. :lol

I used to come here for MP updates but it HAS become the place for MP bashing from time to time. 

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1234 on: May 11, 2015, 06:31:55 AM »
I got a chuckle out of this week's That Metal Show.  Billy Sheehan was the musical guest.  They were discussing the Winery Dogs and how well they're doing and the hectic nature of their schedules and so on and so on.  They got to joking about Mike and being in side projects.  After a bit of conversation with Billy, someone mentioned that in that short a period of time, Mike had just joined three new side projects.  :lol

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1235 on: May 11, 2015, 07:22:41 AM »
I got a chuckle out of this week's That Metal Show.  Billy Sheehan was the musical guest.  They were discussing the Winery Dogs and how well they're doing and the hectic nature of their schedules and so on and so on.  They got to joking about Mike and being in side projects.  After a bit of conversation with Billy, someone mentioned that in that short a period of time, Mike had just joined three new side projects.  :lol
lol

For that matter, Billy has a lot of juggling, as well.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1236 on: May 11, 2015, 08:48:40 AM »
I for one am always slightly dissapointed when there is no update regarding his music. If I look at the list of studio recordings he participated in and with what artists he tours/toured, I have to do my best to name something I regard as bad.

Sure, Adrenaline Mob was a wasted oppertunity and bland (namely lyrics and guitars dissapointed me), but even there were still some nice moments for me. As for the other major collab material since he left DT: Winery Dogs was very nice and fun, Flying Colors is very good and Transatlantic was great too. And all of them got recent good and entertaining live releases as well. There are not much artist that I can buy almost anything if his/her name is slapped on it, but MP is amongst those. Even if the guy does not practice/train anymore and relies a lot on his signature style, I usually love his drumming.

The sad thing is I sometimes feel like some rabid MP warrior for being positive in a MP thread/article/comment section at this point, heh. That said, DT talk/rumors/relations is expected around here, offcourse. And most project got their own thread anyways. I do not want to see him back in DT or anything, nor do I really expect it to happen aside from a reunion thing around retirement or something like that (guesting on a live release would be rad I think, if all relationships are good).

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1237 on: May 11, 2015, 09:49:23 AM »
Speaking of AMob, Mike Orlando was the guest musician on last week's TMS.  If the little bit I saw of him on there is indicative of how he always plays, then I DO NOT care for his style at all.  After two minutes of watching him rip, I'd be bored out of my skull.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1238 on: May 11, 2015, 09:53:21 AM »
Sounds like it was indicative  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline comment

• Custom Title
  • What’s on your mind Facebook?
« Reply #1239 on: May 11, 2015, 10:06:07 AM »
Signature

Offline emtee

« Reply #1240 on: May 12, 2015, 10:53:54 AM »
Mike just posted the formal announcement about the Metal Allegiance album on his site. Nine original songs ranging in style from
early Sabbath to full on Metallica thrash, with a list of special guest performers and vocalists.

Looking forward to this one!

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1241 on: May 12, 2015, 09:57:50 PM »
I'm actually quite looking forward to hearing this.  MP's career is on a far more interesting trajectory than DT's. 

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1242 on: May 12, 2015, 10:55:17 PM »
Gotta say, he plays in the stuff he loves. Not my thing really, particularly this new one, but he's pulling together the music he likes.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #1243 on: May 13, 2015, 01:48:08 AM »
Gotta say, he plays in the stuff he loves. Not my thing really, particularly this new one, but he's pulling together the music he likes.

Totally. And you know what? Even with this new thing, I'm really not the metal type, but I will check it out. Especially if the special guests are interesting. There's something about MP's plans that always get my attention. (Well actually except Adrenaline Mob, that's the only thing I've never been really interested in)
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1244 on: May 13, 2015, 06:40:17 AM »
I think the name "Metal Allegiance" is kind of silly, but I look forward to hearing it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1245 on: May 13, 2015, 07:28:02 AM »
Yep, namepicking doesn't seem to be his strong suit, does it?
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1246 on: May 13, 2015, 07:55:19 AM »
 He had a different name for The Winery Dogs, but the three of them decided not to use it. Does anyone know what it was?

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1247 on: May 13, 2015, 08:00:21 AM »
I'm OK with The Winery Dogs.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1248 on: May 13, 2015, 08:02:34 AM »
I'm OK with The Winery Dogs.

Kotzen came up with the name, so no points for MP there  :)
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1249 on: May 13, 2015, 08:10:37 AM »
Someone mentioned before that "Winery Dogs" sounded like a nicer way of saying "Booze Hounds".

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1250 on: May 13, 2015, 08:25:30 AM »
I'm actually quite looking forward to hearing this.  MP's career is on a far more interesting trajectory than DT's.

This. Five years later and I can now see why he left/wanted a break. He seems so happy to be doing all of these different projects that all have very different styles from each other. Looking at his last two DT albums and what he's doing now, it's so apparent that he's not happy playing just one style of music even if it's a style that offers a bit more creative freedom like prog.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1251 on: May 13, 2015, 03:12:19 PM »
it's so apparent that he's not happy playing just one style of music even if it's a style that offers a bit more creative freedom like prog.

That's a somewhat sad state of affairs for DT I would say. They play in arguably the most open genre of music, but their drummer leaves (to some degree) because he can't explore other styles of music in that band.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1252 on: May 13, 2015, 03:18:08 PM »
it's so apparent that he's not happy playing just one style of music even if it's a style that offers a bit more creative freedom like prog.

That's a somewhat sad state of affairs for DT I would say. They play in arguably the most open genre of music, but their drummer leaves (to some degree) because he can't explore other styles of music in that band.
That's overstating it a bit. Any stagnation in what MP played in DT was self imposed.

He certainly didn't leave DT to explore other styles of music.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1253 on: May 13, 2015, 03:27:40 PM »
Did he not? I mean, he said he was burned out with DT, and the band he played in (A7X) was vastly different music. And from the on he's done all kinds of music. I don't think it's too far-fetched that, after trying to move DT into new areas (Metallica, Muse etc) and that not working, that he started to burn out.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1254 on: May 13, 2015, 03:30:30 PM »
But his side projects have always been different from DT. Now, he just does more of them. He may find this variety refreshing, and maybe he needed it, but I got the feeling he was burned out by the DT machine, and not DT music.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1255 on: May 13, 2015, 03:33:28 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if it was both. Particularly considering how he had really tried to shoehorn new music into DT from time to time.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1256 on: May 13, 2015, 03:35:53 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if it was both. Particularly considering how he had really tried to shoehorn new music into DT from time to time.
But while JP and JR "wrote" the music, it seemed that MP was the musical "director".
And that's why his comment on his Score documentary regarding Innocence Faded were startling. Like why paint yourself into a corner like that?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1257 on: May 13, 2015, 04:28:33 PM »
Sometimes you are you own worst enemy.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1258 on: May 13, 2015, 04:30:17 PM »
I don't recall what he said. Jog my mind please?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1259 on: May 13, 2015, 04:33:24 PM »
I don't recall what he said. Jog my mind please?
During the IF Outro, he mentions that it is real Journey-ish, and says that DT fans would never let them get away with that these days. I'm paraphrasing, but when I heard it, it jumped out at me. That's a great song, and a vocal like that and a mesmerizing outro like that would be welcomed by DT fans.