Author Topic: Mike Portnoy  (Read 193592 times)

Offline Madman Shepherd

Re: Mike Portnoy
« Reply #1155 on: April 09, 2015, 08:15:36 PM »
A commentary shouldn't need moderating.  It should be guys sitting around shooting the breeze, instead of one guy controlling the entire thing.

I personally own about 2000 DVDs and of the ones that have commentaries I have listened to about 85-90%.  Occasionally you have some that don't need moderating like John Carpenter and Kurt Russell's commentaries but in that, Carpenter inadvertently acts like a moderator and brings the discussion back to whats on screen when it gets too far off track.  Sometimes you have commentaries that are just disastrous without a moderator.  The more people you have the more in danger you are of completely losing focus.  Sometimes you have one or two people by themselves with nothing to say and you forget you are watching a movie with commentary until the director chimes in by saying "Day for night" with no context whatsoever to let you know he is referring to a filming technique (i.e. the omen II or III...I can't remember).

Two of my friends just co-directed their first biggish budget film and asked for my advice on what they should do for the commentary.  I told them not to use a moderator because they typically have plenty to say and for a film that is not well known, a moderator who wasn't there in the process would just dilute the commentary with generic questions. 

Long story short, the guys in Dream Theater can sometimes not be the most talkative and other times they are.  Mike Portnoy was able to balance the commentary perfectly while keeping things focused with whats going on, using his freakishly photographic memory, and allowing others to have their say.  There were even times when he would get interrupted and yield the floor.  Sure I had a problem with him being dismissive of JM or singing "anally" during Anna Lee, but otherwise he did a great job. 

Calvin6s

« Reply #1156 on: April 09, 2015, 09:10:45 PM »
Sometimes "controlling" is actually just somebody stepping up when nobody else will.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1157 on: April 09, 2015, 09:20:19 PM »
I think its pretty clear that I am generally more critical of MP but I thought he did a great job with moderating the commentaries.  He wasn't as overbearing as everybody is claiming. 

I agree. When he jumped in, it was because there was something that warranted being mentioned, or he'd ask one of the other guys a question pertinent to what was happening on screen. I think MP was a big part of why those commentaries were so good, and I never felt he was overbearing.

I agree with Madman Shepherd's thoughts above.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1158 on: April 09, 2015, 10:31:06 PM »
I think its pretty clear that I am generally more critical of MP but I thought he did a great job with moderating the commentaries.  He wasn't as overbearing as everybody is claiming. 

I agree. When he jumped in, it was because there was something that warranted being mentioned, or he'd ask one of the other guys a question pertinent to what was happening on screen. I think MP was a big part of why those commentaries were so good, and I never felt he was overbearing.

I don't think he was intentionally being overbearing. He just has a lot to say about what was going on.  Like Madman mentioned, MP has an excellent memory for detail about what was going on during a specific show at a specific point in the show. JP and JM are a bit quiet during the commentaries, JLB seemed to offer some comic relief, and JR did about the same. Though I do remember JLB starting some story about a transvestite being in the front row and MP interrupted and went off on a tangent. I was curious about the transvestite story though.   :lol    I did think MP was sort of mocking JM's idea.  I didn't think TOO much of it though.  Then again, he "mocked' a guy who barely speaks, so when he does speak he's probably thinking to himself, "this is why I keep my mouth shut."   :lol

If you want to talk about commentaries that need a moderator, listen to the Type O Negative commentaries for After Dark and Symphony for the Devil.  They are all over the place, but are the funniest commentaries I've heard. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1159 on: April 10, 2015, 08:04:49 AM »
Oh right that one was WDADRU. My bad! Been a while since I listened to them (especially as I have no other reason to watch WDADRU besides commentary).
Still, all MP did was discuss why they didn't do it that way. There was no mocking or shutting down as some people say.

You're right he didn't mock JM but he was pretty dismissive.

I agree.  The comment actually shocked me a bit when I first heard it.   I immediately thought, "I can't believe Mike left that in!  It really makes him look kinda like a douche."
That's how I took it as well. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1160 on: April 10, 2015, 08:45:26 AM »
Did there exist any acrimony between Bruce and Ari?

Yes, there absolutely was but it was in the days before the internet really took off, of course. I'll never forget Harry's line, "Bruce would make a country record if he thought it would sell".
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1161 on: April 10, 2015, 09:00:53 AM »
I think MP was a big part of why those commentaries were so good, and I never felt he was overbearing.

I thought MP was a big part of why those commentaries were so good AND I OFTEN felt that he was overbearing.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1162 on: April 10, 2015, 02:11:47 PM »
Mike, in many things, is a great example of a double edged sword.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1163 on: April 10, 2015, 02:13:53 PM »

So you're saying Mike is like that crazy woman, whose dynamite in bed but crazy as bat shit.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 04:41:55 PM by kingshmegland »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline PetFish

« Reply #1164 on: April 10, 2015, 04:37:51 PM »
Hot Crazy Matrix:  A Man's Guide to Women
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKWmFWRVLlU

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1165 on: April 10, 2015, 04:59:05 PM »

So you're saying Mike is like that crazy woman, whose dynamite in bed but crazy as bat shit.
You were right the first time. Your edit is incorrect.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1166 on: April 10, 2015, 08:42:05 PM »

I don't think he was intentionally being overbearing. He just has a lot to say about what was going on.  Like Madman mentioned, MP has an excellent memory for detail about what was going on during a specific show at a specific point in the show. JP and JM are a bit quiet during the commentaries, JLB seemed to offer some comic relief, and JR did about the same. Though I do remember JLB starting some story about a transvestite being in the front row and MP interrupted and went off on a tangent. I was curious about the transvestite story though.   :lol    I did think MP was sort of mocking JM's idea.  I didn't think TOO much of it though.  Then again, he "mocked' a guy who barely speaks, so when he does speak he's probably thinking to himself, "this is why I keep my mouth shut."   :lol

If you want to talk about commentaries that need a moderator, listen to the Type O Negative commentaries for After Dark and Symphony for the Devil.  They are all over the place, but are the funniest commentaries I've heard.

I haven't listened to those in a while.  Don't they just make fun of Peter the whole time?  If it is how I remember, I was pretty surprised at how they would rip on a guy that is the leader, writes all the songs, makes a point of saying "All songs decomposed by Peter Steele" yet gets shit on through the whole thing.  It was a riot. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1167 on: April 10, 2015, 08:53:26 PM »

You were right the first time. Your edit is incorrect.

I fail at spelling.  It's well documented.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1168 on: April 10, 2015, 10:29:02 PM »

I haven't listened to those in a while.  Don't they just make fun of Peter the whole time?  If it is how I remember, I was pretty surprised at how they would rip on a guy that is the leader, writes all the songs, makes a point of saying "All songs decomposed by Peter Steele" yet gets shit on through the whole thing.  It was a riot.

And don't forget the fact that he was twice their size and could probably have crushed them with his fist.   :lol    But yes, they did spend a lot of the time getting on his case about one thing or another. 

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1169 on: April 11, 2015, 05:47:06 AM »
Apologies if this has been posted in the past, but it was too good not to if it hadn't.

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1170 on: April 11, 2015, 06:09:01 AM »
lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1171 on: April 11, 2015, 10:09:41 AM »
Are we playing blackout now, or are we playing to a pattern? :p

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1172 on: April 11, 2015, 10:13:25 AM »
You should make one of those boxes  "Teach Proper Social Media Behavior Class"

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1173 on: April 11, 2015, 10:34:53 AM »
Apologies if this has been posted in the past, but it was too good not to if it hadn't.

All right, to the recollection of things, here's what I got.  What's missing?

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1174 on: April 11, 2015, 10:44:11 AM »
Supergroup, G3, Collab With Son, 70's rock band fill in, bluesy hardd rock side-project, jim matheos collab, project with former DT member
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1175 on: April 11, 2015, 10:47:41 AM »
Basically everything that's gray, I just saw that :lol

But the 70's rock band fill-in can be grayed as well, and I have no idea about the DT Spinoff.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1176 on: April 11, 2015, 10:52:07 AM »
What's the 70's rock band?
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1177 on: April 11, 2015, 11:09:49 AM »
I have no idea about the DT Spinoff.

Liquid Tension Experiment?

Can we include a box for "play 6:00 live near the album tempo"?

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1178 on: April 11, 2015, 11:15:07 AM »
What's the 70's rock band?

He's joining Twisted Sister for some live dates this year.
Squ

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1179 on: April 11, 2015, 11:22:28 AM »
hmmmm

They've been active since '72 but I'd classify them in the 80's category. Idk.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1180 on: April 11, 2015, 11:32:00 AM »
Basically everything that's gray, I just saw that :lol

But the 70's rock band fill-in can be grayed as well, and I have no idea about the DT Spinoff.

LTE. All DT members except bass.

Also, shouldn't "gospel album" be filled in? Almost every Neal Morse album he's played on counts as such.

EDIT: OSI could also count towards "Electronic side project".
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 11:37:37 AM by rumborak »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1181 on: April 11, 2015, 11:42:36 AM »
BTW, provided The Winery Dogs will reveal their follow-up album some time this summer (since they go on tour in fall I think), is MP's secret metal project parked until next year, like they did with Flying Colors?
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1182 on: April 11, 2015, 08:13:13 PM »
Was at my last AHL game of the season tonight Mike/Max were there. Just noticed them as they were walking out, didn't actually talk to them.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1183 on: April 11, 2015, 09:16:21 PM »

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1184 on: April 11, 2015, 11:45:52 PM »
Was at my last AHL game of the season tonight Mike/Max were there. Just noticed them as they were walking out, didn't actually talk to them.

A fellow AHL fan!  Rockford Icehogs have made the playoffs for the first time since I started following them so I am pretty psyched.  Doesn't look like your team did so hot this season (MP just tweetsecreted from the game)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1185 on: April 12, 2015, 12:00:14 AM »
What makes that different from a regular tweet? Also, it's not a secret if you go around telling everyone. Typical "fan". :neverusethis:

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1186 on: April 12, 2015, 12:31:57 AM »
What makes that different from a regular tweet? Also, it's not a secret if you go around telling everyone. Typical "fan". :neverusethis:

:rollin

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1187 on: April 12, 2015, 01:37:01 PM »

Never pegged Mike as a hockey fan. Maybe Max is one....

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1188 on: April 12, 2015, 05:19:57 PM »
Mike at least used to be huge into Boxing.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1189 on: April 12, 2015, 05:22:10 PM »
You don't necessarily have to be a fan to go. My area only this season got their minor league hockey team. And the only other major sports option is a minor league baseball team. So really it's just a fun thing to do in the area.