Author Topic: Mike Portnoy  (Read 193453 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Mike Portnoy
« Reply #1085 on: April 08, 2015, 02:08:34 PM »
Maybe I missed what was said, but when did it become obvious that there was bad blood between MP and JM.  I know of the issues with JLB and MP. 

It has NEVER been said.  Just an inference.  And I think the primary reasons people infer that are:  (1) JM and MP never appeared close, but especially in the latter years.  (2) People assume that MP was the primary driver behind the rule about submitting vocal melodies with lyrics, which we know primarily impacted JM as a lyric writer, and the fact that JM did not submit lyrics for a long time after that leads some to believe that perhaps JM was a bit resentful.  (3) MP said after the split that one of his examples of the band being burned out and not functioning as a unit anymore was a certain member not spending time or even eating with the band, and just hanging out on his couch (or something like that), and the inference that it was JM (which is probably correct).  (4) MP saying, indirectly (i.e., without naming names), that the only ones he left on good terms with were JP and Jordan.

Personally, I have never gotten the impression that there is any "bad blood" between them, but the circumstantial evidence would seem to indicate that they are distant and, even if they were in the same band again, would likely not have much direct interaction outside of the necessary.  But that is largely speculation on my part.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1086 on: April 08, 2015, 02:10:10 PM »
I could definitely imagine there being an Iron Maiden fan in 1997 being really really confident that Bruce would be back getting told by everyone else "it probably isn't going to happen," and coming out being right in the end.

Current DT and 90's Maiden are very different situations.  The backlash against IM without Bruce was much more prevalent and unanimous than whatever backlash there's been against DT without Portnoy.  I don't think DT sees a real reason to change the status quo as it exists now.
Maybe not at the moment, but if their popularity begins to fade significantly, then I can see them going back to MP and hyping up the reunion. For those who are doubting this ever happening, I can't help but point to the Van Halen situation. Eddie and DLR had been at each others throats for years and it seemed impossible for them ever to regroup. Even when they appeared together in 1996, it was completely hard to believe, and then it fell apart. But here we are now with them doing 2 tours, a studio album and now their ramping up for yet another tour. So anything's possible. In addition to that, VH's popularity had started to wane and many were putting pressure on them to regroup with DLR. So I could see the same thing happening with DT if they started to lose their audience.

And on that note, I wonder if it's beginning to happen already. A friend of mine in the Netherlands told me about how DT's been announced for this year's Bospop festival, which is no surprise - each time they've appeared since 2000, they've apparently headlined. This year, they're not. And who is headlining? Steven Wilson! Now if it were a bigger name, I could understand them being lower on the bill, but it seems bizarre that Steven Wilson (solo or with Porcupine Tree) would be higher up in the billing than DT. Not only that, but this same friend was commenting that he found it a bit suspicious that they played an "exclusive" club date in Tilberg, at the 013, the same venue that Neal Morse and Transatlantic have been frequenting for years. That in and of itself may not mean much, but at the following show in Gelsenkirchen, Germany, they played the Amphitheater there and according to him, "the attendance was extremely poor". Time will tell. But if this is a sign of things to come, then I can see the eventual return of MP. If these things are just a fluke, then I doubt MP will be asked to come back, even if MM eventually decides to quit DT on his own.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1087 on: April 08, 2015, 02:12:57 PM »
I frankly don't think it's a big deal. Sure, I'm absolutely certain the guy doesn't have OCD, and that he's probably rather "anal retentive" in some fashion.
Of course, who calls themselves "anal retentive" publicly, as it is almost exclusively negative in connotation. So, he uses the term OCD, sort of how people use "retarded" in a sentence like "lol, I guess I'm a bit retarded when it comes to XYZ".
While it's not something he broadcasts a lot, when I've interviewed him in the past (3 times - 2002, 2004, 2009), with the detailed questions I'd ask him and the answers he'd give, he'd comment about how each of these interviews would be the most anal retentive interviews he'd give for the year. Not that this was directed solely at me, but he was commenting about himself as well.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1088 on: April 08, 2015, 02:28:27 PM »
Maybe I missed what was said, but when did it become obvious that there was bad blood between MP and JM.  I know of the issues with JLB and MP. 

It has NEVER been said.  Just an inference.  And I think the primary reasons people infer that are:  (1) JM and MP never appeared close, but especially in the latter years.  (2) People assume that MP was the primary driver behind the rule about submitting vocal melodies with lyrics, which we know primarily impacted JM as a lyric writer, and the fact that JM did not submit lyrics for a long time after that leads some to believe that perhaps JM was a bit resentful.  (3) MP said after the split that one of his examples of the band being burned out and not functioning as a unit anymore was a certain member not spending time or even eating with the band, and just hanging out on his couch (or something like that), and the inference that it was JM (which is probably correct).  (4) MP saying, indirectly (i.e., without naming names), that the only ones he left on good terms with were JP and Jordan.

Personally, I have never gotten the impression that there is any "bad blood" between them, but the circumstantial evidence would seem to indicate that they are distant and, even if they were in the same band again, would likely not have much direct interaction outside of the necessary.  But that is largely speculation on my part.

I understand things more clearer now.  I suppose the inferences are definitely there as far as JM goes.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1089 on: April 08, 2015, 02:57:03 PM »
And on that note, I wonder if it's beginning to happen already. A friend of mine in the Netherlands told me about how DT's been announced for this year's Bospop festival, which is no surprise - each time they've appeared since 2000, they've apparently headlined. This year, they're not. And who is headlining? Steven Wilson! Now if it were a bigger name, I could understand them being lower on the bill, but it seems bizarre that Steven Wilson (solo or with Porcupine Tree) would be higher up in the billing than DT. Not only that, but this same friend was commenting that he found it a bit suspicious that they played an "exclusive" club date in Tilberg, at the 013, the same venue that Neal Morse and Transatlantic have been frequenting for years. That in and of itself may not mean much, but at the following show in Gelsenkirchen, Germany, they played the Amphitheater there and according to him, "the attendance was extremely poor". Time will tell. But if this is a sign of things to come, then I can see the eventual return of MP. If these things are just a fluke, then I doubt MP will be asked to come back, even if MM eventually decides to quit DT on his own.

My brother went to the same concert in Gelsenkirchen, and yeah, he said it was very poorly attended. I think someone from the UK said something similar about a gig there.
The gig in Boston was sold out I think, but that was achieved mostly by a very low ticket price ($55). Rush tickets go for $100 here. Also, any metric I've seen (Google Trends, DTF thread posting) shows people's interest in DT is waning.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 03:03:23 PM by rumborak »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1090 on: April 08, 2015, 03:18:46 PM »

Maybe not at the moment, but if their popularity begins to fade significantly, then I can see them going back to MP and hyping up the reunion. For those who are doubting this ever happening, I can't help but point to the Van Halen situation. Eddie and DLR had been at each others throats for years and it seemed impossible for them ever to regroup. Even when they appeared together in 1996, it was completely hard to believe, and then it fell apart. But here we are now with them doing 2 tours, a studio album and now their ramping up for yet another tour. So anything's possible. In addition to that, VH's popularity had started to wane and many were putting pressure on them to regroup with DLR. So I could see the same thing happening with DT if they started to lose their audience.

Half the reasons these bands have a big reunion is not just because their popularity is waning but because specifically their finances are waning and they need the reunion to continue to live their extravagant lifestyle.  DT doesn't have that problem.  I would bet they have their houses paid off.  They don't dig fancy cars (although James did just get a Cadillac, not that it is *that* fancy).  Since most of the guys are relatively private we don't know about any expensive vacations they go on although James does like to go skiing.  So all evidence points to them living a very stable lifestyle.  They can afford to lose some audience.

With that said, I think that is WAY overstated.  I have never been to a sold out Dream Theater show, 60% of which were with Portnoy behind the drums.  We know DT played a very poorly attended show in Columbus (???) recently which was their 3rd show in Ohio within a few months in an already small market.  I was just looking at the CiM DVD and they had audience shots from every show.  Very few seemed sold out and a handful had huge chunks of seats empty (and most pictures didnt show the balcony which it is safe to say had more empty seats than the floor). 

If anything, DT has lost some old fans (which was happening with every album while Portnoy was in the band) but they have also gained some new ones (which seems to happen with every new album too). 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1091 on: April 08, 2015, 03:27:47 PM »

My brother went to the same concert in Gelsenkirchen, and yeah, he said it was very poorly attended. I think someone from the UK said something similar about a gig there.
The gig in Boston was sold out I think, but that was achieved mostly by a very low ticket price ($55). Rush tickets go for $100 here. Also, any metric I've seen (Google Trends, DTF thread posting) shows people's interest in DT is waning.

Lets be honest also that Rush only pulls in between 9000 to 10,000 a show when they were doing 5000 more in the early 2000's.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1092 on: April 08, 2015, 03:50:24 PM »
If they start losing their audience, and kick MM out to bring in MP to try to win their fans back, all they're going to do is lose MM as a friend, and then, well, go back to roars and butt rock I guess.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1093 on: April 08, 2015, 03:58:22 PM »
I don't think the VH comparison is a good one, Scotty, for several reasons:

1) VH is far more popular than DT has ever come close to being.  Their tours are cash cows.

2) Getting Roth back was the only thing they could do that fans would accept, especially with Hagar and Anthony gone.  The Cherone experiment proved that.  I doubt DT will ever be in a situation where it is "Get Portnoy back or bust."

Also, I don't think SW headlining over DT is that unusual.  He seems to be pretty popular over in Europe and especially the Netherlands - Hand. Cannot. Erase. debuted at number 2 over there.  In the States, it might seem odd, but over there, not at all.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1094 on: April 08, 2015, 04:00:37 PM »
I enjoyed the VHIII concert more than the 2004 Sammy lead tour and the stuff I've seen now of Dave.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1095 on: April 08, 2015, 04:02:00 PM »
I would like to think that DT are above such calculated personnel changes just for the purpose of revenue. Something would have to happen to MM for DT to consider bringing back MP. And even though it would be returning to his own band, that would bring it up to #3 for "replacing departed drummer".

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1096 on: April 08, 2015, 04:05:43 PM »
Spinal Tap has them beat though.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1097 on: April 08, 2015, 04:12:28 PM »
I do wonder whether that has crossed his mind, that this is his second tour replacing a drummer who died.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1098 on: April 08, 2015, 04:25:45 PM »
I do wonder whether that has crossed his mind, that this is his second tour replacing a drummer who died.

I would think it would have.  I mean, it is such an obvious thing that it would seem odd to have NOT crossed his mind. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1099 on: April 08, 2015, 04:59:38 PM »
I'm curious as to how much that tour will actually draw.  I mean, Twisted Sister? 

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1100 on: April 08, 2015, 05:47:54 PM »
I don't think the VH comparison is a good one, Scotty, for several reasons:

1) VH is far more popular than DT has ever come close to being.  Their tours are cash cows.

2) Getting Roth back was the only thing they could do that fans would accept, especially with Hagar and Anthony gone.  The Cherone experiment proved that.  I doubt DT will ever be in a situation where it is "Get Portnoy back or bust."

Also, I don't think SW headlining over DT is that unusual.  He seems to be pretty popular over in Europe and especially the Netherlands - Hand. Cannot. Erase. debuted at number 2 over there.  In the States, it might seem odd, but over there, not at all.

Perhaps the VH analogy is that VH supported Bon Jovi in Europe , something that would never happen in the US.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1101 on: April 08, 2015, 06:09:10 PM »

There are those and a few others I can think of. In particular I seem to recall a commentary track (don't recall which one, I don't generally listen to them) when JM lamented something and Portnoy pretty openly mocked him about it, almost to the point of belittlement. Even way back then I was thinking there didn't seem to be much fondness between them. I know MP also mentioned how lucky he was to have played with some of the greatest bass players on Earth, mentioning a long list of them with JM conspicuously omitted.

However, what I was probably intending to say was that JM is almost certainly far happier now with MP out of the picture. Anybody who has had to work with overbearing coworkers knows how amazing it is when they finally leave. Nobody would want to go back to that, and I don't figure JM is any exception.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1102 on: April 08, 2015, 06:35:34 PM »
There are those and a few others I can think of. In particular I seem to recall a commentary track (don't recall which one, I don't generally listen to them) when JM lamented something and Portnoy pretty openly mocked him about it, almost to the point of belittlement.

I swear DTF has a different copy of LSFNY to me, because MP didn't do anything close to mocking on that commentary. All he did was point out that they couldn't write albums the way they used to, something which as far as I can tell hasn't changed since MP left.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #1103 on: April 08, 2015, 07:01:29 PM »
I swear DTF has a different copy of LSFNY to me, because MP didn't do anything close to mocking on that commentary. All he did was point out that they couldn't write albums the way they used to, something which as far as I can tell hasn't changed since MP left.

The comment being referred to is on the When Dream and Day Reunite commentary when John Myung said he'd love to go back to when they used to just get together and jam just to jam and see what comes out and Mike Portnoy countered with how things are different now.  On the surface it doesn't seem like anything but it did feel like MP wasn't being very nice about it.

As for things not writing the way they used to, there was also a video clip for A Dramatic Turn of Events where JM said that he and John Petrucci *were* writing how they used to (ie. jamming just to jam) and how he's enjoying that.

They don't need to jam for days and days but if they live close together I'm sure they could squeeze in a few hours every other day just letting things flow and then go into the studio to do the actual writing and recording, especially now that all of their kids are old enough to be home alone.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1104 on: April 08, 2015, 07:04:36 PM »
Oh right that one was WDADRU. My bad! Been a while since I listened to them (especially as I have no other reason to watch WDADRU besides commentary).
Still, all MP did was discuss why they didn't do it that way. There was no mocking or shutting down as some people say.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1105 on: April 08, 2015, 07:06:31 PM »
:lol

It's been 10+ years since I saw that, but I remember being somewhat surprised by it. Didn't he say something like "yeah, we could all move back into our moms' basements?" Moreover, I think he went back to it like 15 minutes later just to make another joke at JM's expense. What struck me wasn't so much MP's comments, but how JM just sounded trivialized. He doesn't appear to be one of those people that'll stand up to overbearing personalities, so it just had that really uncomfortable awkwardness.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1106 on: April 08, 2015, 07:11:44 PM »
It's been a while since I saw it too, but all I remember taking from it was "oh cool, JM is talking!" :lol

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1107 on: April 08, 2015, 07:26:06 PM »
Oh right that one was WDADRU. My bad! Been a while since I listened to them (especially as I have no other reason to watch WDADRU besides commentary).
Still, all MP did was discuss why they didn't do it that way. There was no mocking or shutting down as some people say.

You're right he didn't mock JM but he was pretty dismissive.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1108 on: April 08, 2015, 08:52:31 PM »
I'm curious as to how much that tour will actually draw.  I mean, Twisted Sister?

Goood question. I guess they were somewhat big in the US, right? From my perception it would likely be a "middle-aged people show up at the nearest casino venue to hear We're Not Gonna Take It once more" type of tour, but hey, those tours probably produce a good amount of cash.

EDIT:  Actually, I was totally unaware of TS' catalog. I just listened to their best of album, but it's pretty bad, except I Wanna Rock and aforementioned We're Not Gonna Take It. I appreciate MP's willingness to step in, but man, the music is really not good.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 09:43:01 PM by rumborak »

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1109 on: April 08, 2015, 10:22:57 PM »

Goood question. I guess they were somewhat big in the US, right? From my perception it would likely be a "middle-aged people show up at the nearest casino venue to hear We're Not Gonna Take It once more" type of tour, but hey, those tours probably produce a good amount of cash.

EDIT:  Actually, I was totally unaware of TS' catalog. I just listened to their best of album, but it's pretty bad, except I Wanna Rock and aforementioned We're Not Gonna Take It. I appreciate MP's willingness to step in, but man, the music is really not good.
As I recall they put on a pretty good show. And while I probably wouldn't expect much from their best of material, since it tends to be all the anthemic stuff that made them popular, they did have some cool tunes. I always though Burn in Hell was great. Hell, if they came through Dallas I'd probably check it out just for that with MP playing/singing background.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1110 on: April 09, 2015, 05:15:33 AM »
The tour will get a handful of fogeys. They're smart to play LV and NY, where they can probably drum up pretty good crowds.

Saw Twisted Sister in  and they were amazing. AJ Pero was a beast.
And yes Bart, Burn In Hell  :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1111 on: April 09, 2015, 07:11:49 AM »

As I recall they put on a pretty good show. And while I probably wouldn't expect much from their best of material, since it tends to be all the anthemic stuff that made them popular, they did have some cool tunes. I always though Burn in Hell was great. Hell, if they came through Dallas I'd probably check it out just for that with MP playing/singing background.

I can count the bands I really dislike on two hands (meaning I give a lot of music the benefit of the doubt) but Twisted is always at the top of the list in terms of bands that frustrate me.   I can do without the cartoonish costumes, and for me, "We're Not Gonna Take It" might as well be from another band.   That second record ("You Can't Kill Rock And Roll") is about as killer a metal record as you're going to find.  That was a bad ass record when it came out, and it is a bad ass record right now.  Thankfully, they know that, and live sets play the two hits, but dig deep as well.  For a headline show, I would expect 15 to 20 songs, equally spread across the first three records, with a cover or two.  They are known to do an AC/DC song now and again, and they regularly play "It's Only Rock and Roll" by the Stones.  There may be a lone tune from "Come Out And Play" (either "I Believe in Rock and Roll" or "The Fire Still Burns") but I wouldn't bet pinks on it. 

But the rest of the set will be just about anything from Stay Hungry (Burn In Hell and Horror-teria are givens), "The Kids are Back" and "You Can't Stop Rock and Roll" from the second album, and "Shoot 'Em Down" and "Under The Blade" from the first album, with assorted other songs thrown in.

The great thing is, this is not a $100 ticket either.    You should be able to get decent seats for $40, $45, and trust me, Dee Snider is in Mike's class when it comes to hardest working men in rock.  The guy gives 100% every time, no questions asked. 

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1112 on: April 09, 2015, 07:21:12 AM »

Perhaps DT is different because of the way it started (college buds, etc.) but the notion of a band having to be "best friends" is both over-rated and perhaps even unwanted.  Some of the greatest music in the history of rock was made under the "pressure" of a tense band relationship (Aerosmith?  The Stones?) and while I am most likely in the minority, I think some of MP's demandingness resulted in great things for the band.  FOR ME, MY OPINION ONLY, I believe James is suffering from this the most; he was the reason I initially was attracted to DT and yet the only song that I really feel he has delivered on post-MP is "This Is The Life".   Sometimes people don't like being pushed, but that is what it takes for them to achieve greatness (google "Phil Simms Bill Parcells" for more on that topic).

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1113 on: April 09, 2015, 09:11:17 AM »

Exactly.

FOR ME, MY OPINION ONLY, I believe James is suffering from this the most; he was the reason I initially was attracted to DT and yet the only song that I really feel he has delivered on post-MP is "This Is The Life".   Sometimes people don't like being pushed, but that is what it takes for them to achieve greatness (google "Phil Simms Bill Parcells" for more on that topic).

I disagree.  Since the split, I feel like there is a noticeable positive difference in James' singing. 

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1114 on: April 09, 2015, 09:27:39 AM »

FOR ME, MY OPINION ONLY, I believe James is suffering from this the most; he was the reason I initially was attracted to DT and yet the only song that I really feel he has delivered on post-MP is "This Is The Life".   Sometimes people don't like being pushed, but that is what it takes for them to achieve greatness (google "Phil Simms Bill Parcells" for more on that topic).

I disagree.  Since the split, I feel like there is a noticeable positive difference in James' singing.

I noticed during the beginning of the ADTOE tour, and I mentioned it here back then,  that he seemed much more relaxed on stage. 

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1115 on: April 09, 2015, 10:07:00 AM »
Aaabsolutely. I thought it was quite visible how much more comfortable in their skin everybody was in that new configuration.
When MP was still around, I sometimes had the feeling that he was competing with James, maybe in an attempt to compensate whatever he perceived to be lacking in live performance. In the new configuration, James is the undisputed front man, and I feel that undisputed status made him more comfortable with himself on stage.
Album-wise, can't say I have noticed much difference.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1116 on: April 09, 2015, 10:40:29 AM »
Aaabsolutely. I thought it was quite visible how much more comfortable in their skin everybody was in that new configuration.
When MP was still around, I sometimes had the feeling that he was competing with James, maybe in an attempt to compensate whatever he perceived to be lacking in live performance. In the new configuration, James is the undisputed front man, and I feel that undisputed status made him more comfortable with himself on stage.
Album-wise, can't say I have noticed much difference.

But "comfortable" doesn't necessarily mean "good" or "innovative" or "relevant" or whatever criterion you use to determine "good music".  Mick Jagger was "comfortable" on his solo records, without Keef.   Steve Tyler was "comfortable" on Rock In A Hard Place, with Perry/Whitford elsewhere.  Liam Gallagher is - well, was - presumably "comfortable" out of Oasis and in Beady Eye. 

Don't get me wrong; perhaps you feel that his performances are better, and that is fair (to be honest, I didn't see them live on either of the two Mangini tours).  But for me, I felt that when faced with a strict or demanding "boss", some people fold, and some people rise to higher levels of achievement.   

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1117 on: April 09, 2015, 10:41:33 AM »

Not a challenge, just curious to get a feel for your tastes, but what do you feel are the strong entries - purely from a singing standpoint - on the last two records?

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1118 on: April 09, 2015, 10:47:51 AM »

Perhaps DT is different because of the way it started (college buds, etc.) but the notion of a band having to be "best friends" is both over-rated and perhaps even unwanted.  Some of the greatest music in the history of rock was made under the "pressure" of a tense band relationship (Aerosmith?  The Stones?) and while I am most likely in the minority, I think some of MP's demandingness resulted in great things for the band.  FOR ME, MY OPINION ONLY, I believe James is suffering from this the most; he was the reason I initially was attracted to DT and yet the only song that I really feel he has delivered on post-MP is "This Is The Life".   Sometimes people don't like being pushed, but that is what it takes for them to achieve greatness (google "Phil Simms Bill Parcells" for more on that topic).

You honestly believe that MP pushed JLB to be a better singer? JLB did not sound that good in the last two albums with MP, and it is because he is singing songs that are not tailored to fit his voice. That video of JLB being coached to sing "Dark master..." in Systematic Chaos was so sad. I don't see "being pushed to the limits" there. I see a lack of awareness of what your bandmate's strengths are.

JLB may sound a bit safe in his vocals nowadays, but I see it more of the band being aware of writing melodies fit to the 50-year old James. He sounds much much better live now even with a lot of touring, and I think it is because they know what songs fit JLB at his age.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1119 on: April 09, 2015, 10:57:35 AM »

Not a challenge, just curious to get a feel for your tastes, but what do you feel are the strong entries - purely from a singing standpoint - on the last two records?

Pretty much all of them.  Both live and in studio, he was knocking it out of the park.