Author Topic: Mike Portnoy  (Read 193480 times)

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
Re: Mike Portnoy
« Reply #1050 on: April 05, 2015, 03:34:58 PM »
No, I guess I've just never seen an artist respond back to comments in an article about themselves on Blabbermouth  :lol
I see it sometimes, usually most other artists I see just handle it better. But to Mike's credit he's handling it decently enough so far on blabbermouth.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1051 on: April 05, 2015, 03:44:12 PM »
While he's keeping it together this time, the very fact that he's entertaining the trolls gives him bad publicity. Just like with the KM stuff back in the day, he still thinks that if he pushes his viewpoint enough, people will follow.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1052 on: April 05, 2015, 06:27:47 PM »
While he's keeping it together this time, the very fact that he's entertaining the trolls gives him bad publicity. Just like with the KM stuff back in the day, he still thinks that if he pushes his viewpoint enough, people will follow.
Rumbo, I get criticizing MP from time to time, and I consider you one of the more intelligent posters here, but your constant badgering is kind of off putting.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1053 on: April 05, 2015, 06:30:53 PM »
wow! I just checked it out.  He literally just went down the list of comments and pasted a stock answer about 10 different times.  How very effective. 

Offline 425

« Reply #1054 on: April 05, 2015, 07:28:39 PM »
I'm with TAC. What he did on Blabbermouth may not be your (speaking broadly here, not just at one person) style and it may not be what you would have done, but it was perfectly legitimate and harmless. Jumping on the guy over this just seems petty to me.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1055 on: April 05, 2015, 07:44:01 PM »
Rumbo, I get criticizing MP from time to time, and I consider you one of the more intelligent posters here, but your constant badgering is kind of off putting.

Sorry, I actually realized the same thing after I posted that. Been a long week with not-so-great sleep in mediocre hotels. I apologize.

BTW, I was actually pleasantly surprised at how levelheaded he responded to the interview questions. It's just that he has a knack for undermining his own PR achievements a minute later, this time by responding to Blabbermouth posters. I don't know how much MP is familiar with Blabbermouth, but one should never engage with Blabbermouth posters. Like, ever :lol

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1056 on: April 05, 2015, 09:26:36 PM »
I don't understand why he thought any of that was a good idea.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1057 on: April 05, 2015, 10:27:04 PM »
*edited for my capriciousness* 
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 07:48:46 AM by Prog Snob »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1058 on: April 06, 2015, 05:34:03 AM »
Ouch, dude.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1059 on: April 06, 2015, 05:36:16 AM »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1060 on: April 06, 2015, 07:30:52 AM »

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #1061 on: April 06, 2015, 07:42:09 AM »
That's an insult to anybody who participates at the Special Olympics.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1062 on: April 06, 2015, 07:49:31 AM »

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1063 on: April 06, 2015, 08:02:49 AM »
Don't you mean with your ears? I, for one, prefer them to the latter-day Portnoy albums.

Not just mine, I'd say a majority of the DT fans probably feel similar. At least most of the comments I've read since his departure have lead me to believe that.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1064 on: April 07, 2015, 06:55:38 AM »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1065 on: April 07, 2015, 07:04:47 AM »
In before the DTF couch doctors
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1066 on: April 07, 2015, 07:12:57 AM »
People who like to make lists are really annoying  :lol
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1067 on: April 07, 2015, 09:31:01 AM »
A few years back I went to a museum in Boston, and they had this banner saying "Monomania is the key to success". Kinda rung true (or maybe I just liked using it as an excuse why I'm not famous :lol )

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1069 on: April 07, 2015, 07:43:35 PM »
no way

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1070 on: April 07, 2015, 07:48:09 PM »
MP: 'My OCD is a blessing and a curse'.

"I don't need to be professionally diagnosed to know there's something going on there!"

That just confirms what many of us suspected all along: he has never been diagnosed as OCD, which makes it insulting for him to say he has it, since there are people out there with actual mental disorders who need help.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1071 on: April 07, 2015, 08:17:18 PM »
It's not OCD. He just has control issues. My daughter, who goes to a special school, has habits that could be considered OCD.  She can't leave the house without the television being shut off, even if someone else is still home watching it. She goes into a fit like Rainman did when he couldn't fly Qantas and she's only 5. Things need to be a specific way with her or she has a fit.  So yeah, Mike doesn't have OCD issues. He has control issues. Being a perfectionist has nothing to do with OCD. Besides if Mike is such a perfectionist, can he explain Never Enough?

Offline 425

« Reply #1072 on: April 07, 2015, 08:48:03 PM »
He also says "I have discussed it with doctors." He does not divulge the contents of those conversations.

As someone with professionally diagnosed (albeit mild) OCD, can I say that I don't mind if he says he has it, and that I believe that it's certainly possible that he does? OCD can vary dramatically in severity and often has symptoms that would not be readily visible to fans of a rock musician. In fact, it would be totally possible for someone to have mild OCD and not even have anyone besides their family suspect it.

Edit: Forgot to mention that another good reason for me to believe him is the accuracy of Constant Motion.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1074 on: April 08, 2015, 04:16:59 AM »
In before the DTF couch doctors

Congratulations. It appears you just snuck in!
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #1075 on: April 08, 2015, 04:21:57 AM »
Sooo don't know if it actually belongs here, but Next To None signed with Inside Out and announced their debut.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1077 on: April 08, 2015, 05:49:07 AM »
I'm always skeptical of anybody that self diagnosis a mental disorder then proceeds to use it as a peg on which to hang things that would otherwise be considered major personality flaws.
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1079 on: April 08, 2015, 08:29:04 AM »
I'm always skeptical of anybody that self diagnosis a mental disorder then proceeds to use it as a peg on which to hang things that would otherwise be considered major personality flaws.

That's what I was thinking, too.  I say I have OCD tendencies but I don't think I have full-blown OCD.  I look at my daughter and I see someone having OCD to the point where any deviation from her ways causes uncontrollable outbursts. This is why she is in a special school that caters to her needs. So someone who cannot function beyond what is familiar to them is someone with severe OCD.  I think, like I mentioned above, MP just has control issues. Things have to be his way. He tries to sugarcoat it and say he's a perfectionist but I don't see it that way. 

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #1080 on: April 08, 2015, 11:18:33 AM »
I could definitely imagine there being an Iron Maiden fan in 1997 being really really confident that Bruce would be back getting told by everyone else "it probably isn't going to happen," and coming out being right in the end.

Current DT and 90's Maiden are very different situations.  The backlash against IM without Bruce was much more prevalent and unanimous than whatever backlash there's been against DT without Portnoy.  I don't think DT sees a real reason to change the status quo as it exists now.

Offline 425

« Reply #1081 on: April 08, 2015, 12:25:04 PM »
I'm not saying they'll fire Mangini to bring back Portnoy like Maiden did with Blaze. I'm saying that in both situations there existed a point where it seemed impossible that the old guy would come back into the band, but that with Maiden it did—and that's why I wouldn't exactly count out Portnoy coming back someday.

As for OCD, I won't say anything more on the subject because there's no way this results in a fruitful conversation. I just wanted to throw my chip in earlier as "guy diagnosed with mild OCD who believes MP could also possibly have mild OCD."
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1082 on: April 08, 2015, 01:23:22 PM »
I frankly don't think it's a big deal. Sure, I'm absolutely certain the guy doesn't have OCD, and that he's probably rather "anal retentive" in some fashion.
Of course, who calls themselves "anal retentive" publicly, as it is almost exclusively negative in connotation. So, he uses the term OCD, sort of how people use "retarded" in a sentence like "lol, I guess I'm a bit retarded when it comes to XYZ".

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1083 on: April 08, 2015, 01:39:40 PM »
I'm not saying they'll fire Mangini to bring back Portnoy like Maiden did with Blaze. I'm saying that in both situations there existed a point where it seemed impossible that the old guy would come back into the band, but that with Maiden it did—and that's why I wouldn't exactly count out Portnoy coming back someday.
Did there exist any acrimony between Bruce and Ari? Much less, acrimony to the degree there seems to be between MP and a couple of members of DT? I told a chum the other night that if there were to be some sort of reunion it'd be LTE, since there seems to be no ill-will between him and JR, and certainly far less (if any) with JP. Just a hunch, but I suspect JM and JLB would rather pack it up than get back into a band situation with MP.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1084 on: April 08, 2015, 01:59:51 PM »
Maybe I missed what was said, but when did it become obvious that there was bad blood between MP and JM.  I know of the issues with JLB and MP.