Author Topic: Mike Portnoy  (Read 194335 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Mike Portnoy
« Reply #1015 on: April 03, 2015, 03:32:58 PM »
Many of these "let's get past members back in the band" reunions are cash-grabs. I don't see the DT guys going down that road. 

Yes, excellent point. I started to type out something along these lines, but couldn't figure out how to word it properly.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1016 on: April 03, 2015, 03:34:19 PM »
Damn auto correct! :rollin

God dammit.  At least I know what it means. :lol

Also, I'm with you Tim.  Why do people dwell on the past? 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1017 on: April 03, 2015, 03:56:07 PM »
I know this has been said before, but being a fan of Dream Theater is just fun again.  It became too much of the Mike Portnoy Show in the last few years from a PR standpoint, and while the others don't do as many online updates and "especially special" thinks as Portnoy used to, it's fun seeing the band be a real band again and having fun.  Hell, just look at that bloopers video of JLB and JP. :lol :lol

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1018 on: April 03, 2015, 05:16:36 PM »
There are many examples of embittered former band members returning to the fold. Ritchie Blackmore, Ozzy, Michael Schencker just to name a few.

Can't say Blackmore and Schenker are what I'd cite as positives in those examples.  :lol

No, but they did happen. And in Blackmore's case, we got Perfect Strangers from it, one of their best IMO.

And what eventually happened? Blackmore and Schenker left again, and never went back. In those cases you got two or three good albums total (depending on your opinion of House of Blue Light) and then they were gone. So, yeah...not exactly the best examples to cite for someone coming back to a band after leaving.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1019 on: April 03, 2015, 05:24:58 PM »
Jaq, what exactly are you looking for here?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1020 on: April 03, 2015, 06:48:32 PM »
He's just trying to keep the discussion going so King will post again  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1021 on: April 03, 2015, 06:48:52 PM »
In 15 years, who knows what circumstances may present. At this point, however, the point seems kind of mute, doesn't it?

In 15 years, Jordan will be 73. Hard to say what he will be doing, but I just don't see MP reunion tours being part of it.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1022 on: April 03, 2015, 06:55:39 PM »

You bastard!   :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1023 on: April 03, 2015, 09:33:33 PM »
Forgiveness doesn't mean that they will want him back in the band.
If they could hear their last couple albums with someone elses ears and thoughts they'd want him back already.

Snap! I agree with you. 

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1024 on: April 03, 2015, 09:43:07 PM »

Isn't that supposed to be "Take that Beethoven you deaf bastard?"

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1025 on: April 03, 2015, 10:04:33 PM »
If Mike Mangini left the band tomorrow, I think there would be a bigger chance of them finding another new drummer rather than bringing Portnoy back. 

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1026 on: April 03, 2015, 10:33:24 PM »
In 15 years, who knows what circumstances may present. At this point, however, the point seems kind of mute, doesn't it?

Well, points are always mute because they don't have tongues.  But more importantly, I think this point is moot.
:facepalm:
That's what I get for installing the Kingshmegland autocorrector app on my phone!

:lol

I think it's kinda strange how people seem to think--based on absolutely NOTHING--that MP being back in DT is pretty much a done deal.

History tells us nothing is impossible.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1027 on: April 03, 2015, 10:36:31 PM »

Well, points are always mute because they don't have tongues.  But more importantly, I think this point is moot.
:facepalm:
That's what I get for installing the Kingshmegland autocorrector app on my phone!

I think it's kinda strange how people seem to think--based on absolutely NOTHING--that MP being back in DT is pretty much a done deal.

Are you implying that nothing is in fact something?

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1028 on: April 03, 2015, 10:44:41 PM »

Are you implying that nothing is in fact something?

It would be something, wouldn't it?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1029 on: April 03, 2015, 10:51:41 PM »
Not if it's nothing. Nothing is Nothing.

Que?

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1030 on: April 03, 2015, 11:00:07 PM »
Not if it's nothing. Nothing is Nothing.

Que?

So then I'm glad it's something. 

Como?

Offline 425

« Reply #1031 on: April 03, 2015, 11:22:04 PM »
I agree with both Mosh and bosk. At this point I'd say it's a toss-up. Ultimately though I'm not too worried about it because both DT and MP are doing good things right now.

Although it is far from impossible, I would not remotely consider it a "toss up" either.  The members of DT have stated that they are clearly not interested.  Add to that the fact that there is no vacancy and not even the slightest indication that there is likely to be a vacancy in the foreseeable future.  Unless and until there is at least some small indication that the parties involved are even remotely interested in it happening, the default is "it ain't gonna happen."  Could that change?  Yup.  But as of right now, there is zero indication that anyone wants it to, and many indicators that they do not.  It is not even close to being a "toss up" right now.

In my mind, I guess it's somewhat close to that because of all that could potentially happen over the next little while and because of the history between those guys. Nevertheless, I totally understand what you're saying and would actually put the odds at somewhat less than 50% (but not at something ridiculously low either).

Also, I think (in Prog Snob's defense... maybe), that it's totally possible for someone to just have a sense about something and be pretty confident. Maybe he doesn't actually think it's a done deal, but he has a really strong feeling that MP will be back. He could be wrong, for sure, but... I could definitely imagine there being an Iron Maiden fan in 1997 being really really confident that Bruce would be back getting told by everyone else "it probably isn't going to happen," and coming out being right in the end. Doesn't mean it'll happen, but I guess some people just get a sense about something like this and can't easily be swayed on the subject... and sometimes they turn out to be right.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1032 on: April 04, 2015, 11:40:40 AM »

:rollin
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1033 on: April 04, 2015, 05:00:10 PM »
In a mirror universe, Portnoy, Roades and Skolnik are financial advisors:

https://ir.pennymacfinancial.com/Mobile/file.aspx?IID=4376176&FID=26400394

I am pleased to announce that Steve Skolnik, Kevin Portnoy and Bob Roades have joined the PennyMac team

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1034 on: April 04, 2015, 08:07:10 PM »
And of course his first name is Kevin.  :rollin
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1035 on: April 04, 2015, 08:50:31 PM »
MP should be made aware of this so that him and Skolnik can call their project PennyMac.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1036 on: April 05, 2015, 10:35:59 AM »
In response to fans commenting on his lack of tweet secrets and tweets Mike Portnoy posted on his board:

The whole ridiculous London Hospital backlash has left a huge sour taste in my mouth…sad really….
I'm trying to cut back on my social media to keep my sanity

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1037 on: April 05, 2015, 10:51:54 AM »
Wow, that took only, what, 5 years? :lol

But of course, still no real remorse in sight. It left a bad taste in *his* mouth.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1038 on: April 05, 2015, 10:52:45 AM »
Probably a wise move. While he brings most of it on himself, social media loudmouths are so vile and hateful that I know I wouldn't want to deal with that crap either.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1039 on: April 05, 2015, 10:57:03 AM »

I also assume that quite afew TweetSecret subscribers will unsubscribe now. Not much point to a subscription service when the artist himself says he won't create content anymore.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1040 on: April 05, 2015, 11:04:44 AM »
While he might cut back, I'm sure he will still use it. If I remember correctly he has to send something out every month or so I think.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1041 on: April 05, 2015, 11:25:12 AM »

But of course, still no real remorse in sight. It left a bad taste in *his* mouth.

Yup.  Just proves his apology wasn't a real apology.  When you only apologize to those you offended, you are not really apologizing.  This is proof he isn't remorseful for his actions...just that the situation left a bad taste in his mouth. 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1042 on: April 05, 2015, 12:40:33 PM »

But of course, still no neal remorse in sight. It left a bad taste in *his* mouth.

:neverusethis:

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1043 on: April 05, 2015, 12:41:10 PM »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1044 on: April 05, 2015, 03:05:09 PM »
Blabbermouth picked up that Fact or Fiction interview, and MP started responding to negative comments....
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1045 on: April 05, 2015, 03:11:46 PM »
:rollin. Comedy Gold Jerry ! Gold !

:corn

Offline 425

« Reply #1046 on: April 05, 2015, 03:19:45 PM »
Blabbermouth picked up that Fact or Fiction interview, and MP started responding to negative comments....

In fairness, he's not exactly over there creating problems. On 90% of them he's just saying "I'm tired of hearing about this, too, but I get asked what I get asked, and Blabbermouth posts what they post." On the rest he's basically responding to insults with jokes that basically just serve to remind people that he's a human being. He's acting way classier than most of the people in that comment section who are trashing him.
And if spirit's a sign,

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1047 on: April 05, 2015, 03:25:51 PM »
He is handling well, but overall I think it's an example of a time where he should just put down the phone or laptop and just walk away. It only brings out the negativity more when the "trolls" see that they are getting under his skin
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline 425

« Reply #1048 on: April 05, 2015, 03:28:56 PM »
I agree that it's probably not the best idea, but it's not like he's out of line or anything.
And if spirit's a sign,

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1049 on: April 05, 2015, 03:33:44 PM »
No, I guess I've just never seen an artist respond back to comments in an article about themselves on Blabbermouth  :lol
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen