Author Topic: Mike Portnoy  (Read 193449 times)

Offline Mladen

Re: Mike Portnoy
« Reply #980 on: April 03, 2015, 08:31:00 AM »
I don't miss him in DT, because they've got Mangini now. But I'm really glad I have him in most of Neal Morse related bands and projects, it's so cool to still follow Mike Portnoy.  :metal

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #981 on: April 03, 2015, 09:51:57 AM »
He did a good job of deflecting that last question.  I don't blame him though.

I'd actually say good on him for giving no comment on the most provocative parts of the question and for giving a diplomatic response on the rest. It seems like maybe he has learned a thing or two about PR—he managed to talk a bit about the split without re-igniting anyone's ire.

He will be back. 

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #982 on: April 03, 2015, 09:59:44 AM »
If MM ever needs to leave the band, MP will probably be the first person the band contacts.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #983 on: April 03, 2015, 10:34:38 AM »
I do not believe that at all.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #984 on: April 03, 2015, 10:34:54 AM »
If MM ever needs to leave the band, MP will probably be the first person the band contacts.

I would not be so sure of that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #985 on: April 03, 2015, 11:09:29 AM »
Can people actually still believe that Portnoy's going to come back?

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #986 on: April 03, 2015, 11:40:10 AM »
He will. And they will play a single show in Indonesia.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #987 on: April 03, 2015, 11:56:01 AM »
Durm god!
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #988 on: April 03, 2015, 12:03:41 PM »

Eventually, I think he will come back. 

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #989 on: April 03, 2015, 12:11:29 PM »

I think that the things he would need to do to make that happen are not things he will actually do.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #990 on: April 03, 2015, 12:20:13 PM »

I think that the things he would need to do to make that happen are not things he will actually do.

Maybe not now.  Somewhere down the road though, I think it's quite possible.  MP might be a control freak to some extent and a bit capricious with his words and actions, but he's also a pretty cool and outgoing guy.  I would like to think at some point he would ultimately want to reconcile with his friends of 25 plus years. 

Offline 425

« Reply #991 on: April 03, 2015, 12:23:37 PM »
I agree with Prog Snob that the day will come when he'll want to go back. It's a question of whether the band will take him, which I don't think is a hard "never" like some people do.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #992 on: April 03, 2015, 01:18:17 PM »

Maybe not now.  Somewhere down the road though, I think it's quite possible.  MP might be a control freak to some extent and a bit capricious with his words and actions, but he's also a pretty cool and outgoing guy.  I would like to think at some point he would ultimately want to reconcile with his friends of 25 plus years.
Perhaps, but that doesn't mean that they will want him back in the band.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #993 on: April 03, 2015, 01:25:30 PM »

Perhaps, but that doesn't mean that they will want him back in the band.

I think it's possible. None of the guys seem like the type to be too good for forgiveness and second chances.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #994 on: April 03, 2015, 01:29:53 PM »
Forgiveness doesn't mean that they will want him back in the band.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #995 on: April 03, 2015, 01:36:00 PM »

If they could hear their last couple albums with someone elses ears and thoughts they'd want him back already.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #996 on: April 03, 2015, 01:59:46 PM »
One thing we learned from MP's departure is that nothing is impossible. Therefore, if MP ever comes back, I'll be happy and content with it. They're doing fine whoever the drummer is.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #997 on: April 03, 2015, 02:00:14 PM »

If they could hear their last couple albums with someone elses ears and thoughts they'd want him back already.

Don't you mean with your ears? I, for one, prefer them to the latter-day Portnoy albums.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #998 on: April 03, 2015, 02:00:28 PM »
One thing we learned from MP's departure is that nothing is impossible. Therefore, if MP ever comes back, I'll be happy and content with it. They're doing fine whoever the drummer is.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #999 on: April 03, 2015, 02:08:52 PM »
There are many examples of embittered former band members returning to the fold. Ritchie Blackmore, Ozzy, Michael Schencker just to name a few.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1000 on: April 03, 2015, 02:13:15 PM »
There are many examples of embittered former band members returning to the fold. Ritchie Blackmore, Ozzy, Michael Schencker just to name a few.

Can't say Blackmore and Schenker are what I'd cite as positives in those examples.  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #1001 on: April 03, 2015, 02:18:34 PM »

Can't say Blackmore and Schenker are what I'd cite as positives in those examples.  :lol

No, but they did happen. And in Blackmore's case, we got Perfect Strangers from it, one of their best IMO.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1002 on: April 03, 2015, 02:26:06 PM »

No, but they did happen. And in Blackmore's case, we got Perfect Strangers from it, one of their best IMO.

Yeah, and in Schenker's case, we got Walk On Water from it, one of their best IMO.

And not for nothing, but A Different Kind Of Truth is pretty damned good.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1003 on: April 03, 2015, 02:29:53 PM »
I think it's kinda strange how convinced some people are that MP will never be back in the band. Some way more unlikely reunions have happened. On top of that, I can't really think of any bands who had a key member leave and never get back together in some capacity. I'd be very shocked if we don't see MP in DT again, at least for one reunion show or something.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1004 on: April 03, 2015, 02:34:01 PM »
I think it's kinda strange how people seem to think--based on absolutely NOTHING--that MP being back in DT is pretty much a done deal.

Offline 425

« Reply #1005 on: April 03, 2015, 02:36:03 PM »
I agree with both Mosh and bosk. At this point I'd say it's a toss-up. Ultimately though I'm not too worried about it because both DT and MP are doing good things right now.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1006 on: April 03, 2015, 02:39:53 PM »
I think the whole discussion is ridiculous.

Could he at some point in the future play with DT again? maybe.
Could he never play with DT again? maybe.
In 15 years, who knows what circumstances may present. At this point, however, the point seems kind of mute, doesn't it?

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1007 on: April 03, 2015, 02:40:51 PM »
If he does return to DT, I wonder if he'll be able to do Manginis drum parts, cause guaranteed the guys would want to play songs made with MM.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1008 on: April 03, 2015, 02:42:59 PM »
I agree with both Mosh and bosk. At this point I'd say it's a toss-up. Ultimately though I'm not too worried about it because both DT and MP are doing good things right now.

Although it is far from impossible, I would not remotely consider it a "toss up" either.  The members of DT have stated that they are clearly not interested.  Add to that the fact that there is no vacancy and not even the slightest indication that there is likely to be a vacancy in the foreseeable future.  Unless and until there is at least some small indication that the parties involved are even remotely interested in it happening, the default is "it ain't gonna happen."  Could that change?  Yup.  But as of right now, there is zero indication that anyone wants it to, and many indicators that they do not.  It is not even close to being a "toss up" right now.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1009 on: April 03, 2015, 02:44:23 PM »
In 15 years, who knows what circumstances may present. At this point, however, the point seems kind of mute, doesn't it?

Well, points are always mute because they don't have tongues.  But more importantly, I think this point is moot.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1010 on: April 03, 2015, 03:10:13 PM »
If he does return to DT, I wonder if he'll be able to do Manginis drum parts, cause guaranteed the guys would want to play songs made with MM.
I imagine for the most part he'd just create his own drum parts.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1011 on: April 03, 2015, 03:13:53 PM »

Well, points are always mute because they don't have tongues.  But more importantly, I think this point is moot.
:facepalm:
That's what I get for installing the Kingshmegland autocorrector app on my phone!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1012 on: April 03, 2015, 03:27:05 PM »

That's what I get for installing the Kingshmegland autocorrector app on my phone!

My D+ spelling senses went off.  BTW,  It's so fun to see someone who loves to point out my faux paux,  take one on the chin. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1013 on: April 03, 2015, 03:31:06 PM »
Many of these "let's get past members back in the band" reunions are cash-grabs. I don't see the DT guys going down that road. I imagine when they hang it up, they will hang it up for good. At least fortheir DT careers. They might, and some likely will, go on to other musical projects. And if one or more of them participate in some fashion with MP, I can see this happening.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1014 on: April 03, 2015, 03:31:39 PM »

My D+ spelling senses went off.  BTW,  It's so fun to see someone who loves to point out my faux paux,  take one on the chin. :lol
:metal
Dude, it's faux pas!  :lol