Author Topic: Mike Portnoy  (Read 193490 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Mike Portnoy
« Reply #840 on: March 09, 2015, 05:22:24 AM »
Aarich, of course, the FB comments were vile. But, that's how the internet is, and to begin with, MP has kinda a certain section of his followers who have a short fuse when it comes to his public demeanor.
I think also, while the initial post was already totally out of whack, the follow-up post by him took it yet another level of aggression. First he lashes out at innocent hospital workers, then he lashes out at his followers. I think that double whammy made a lot of people think "this isn't just an exasperated guy with the flu; this guy is just a mean person".
Once people have that mindset, and they especially have a way of directly addressing the person in question, all hell breaks loose. Any person with a certain modicum of empathy would of course be aware of this; but I think empathy is the precise thing MP is lacking.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 05:30:00 AM by rumborak »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #841 on: March 09, 2015, 05:38:03 AM »
I still find it incredibly hypocritical that people will be so downright offensive when they criticise him for being offensive, but then I guess that's almost the definition of trolling.

He started it, and then escalted it even more.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #842 on: March 09, 2015, 06:00:29 AM »
Well Bangladesh just knocked England out of the Cricket World Cup and that's gotta be enough to put a smile on the dial of even the meanest Facebook "hater"   :lol   
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #843 on: March 09, 2015, 06:06:14 AM »
I still find it incredibly hypocritical that people will be so downright offensive when they criticise him for being offensive, but then I guess that's almost the definition of trolling.

Oh, come on. :lol
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #844 on: March 09, 2015, 06:15:48 AM »
I feel bad for the people who like his current music and thus have to square his persona with his output. I perceive this at an "All Rose" level of detachment, and hell, it is mighty entertaining.
I think for me, nuclear meltdown would happen if he decided to drum for my current favorite artist, Steven Wilson. Luckily, I judge that percentage to be close to zero.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #845 on: March 09, 2015, 07:00:26 AM »
My thoughts on MP since he quit Dream Theater are ban worthy :)

Calvin6s

« Reply #846 on: March 09, 2015, 07:17:45 AM »

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #847 on: March 09, 2015, 07:29:53 AM »

Yeah, seriously. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #848 on: March 09, 2015, 07:34:03 AM »
I can't help but think about this quote from Gabe Newell:

Even though it dosen't imply what MP said because he didn't lie or anything, it's true though that the internet is an entity you can't control so you'll have to be aware that whatever you write publicly and especially if you're a public figure could potentially blow out of proportion and in worst case scenario be a career breaker. I guess the solution is to simply value silence and keep certain things private even if you're cooking with rage about something because it may not be worth the blowback. You can't talk reason with the internet is basically what i'm saying.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Calvin6s

« Reply #849 on: March 09, 2015, 07:43:37 AM »
Even though it dosen't imply what MP said because he didn't lie or anything

He kinda did. 

A very special NO THANKS to the staff at the Whittington Hospital for NOT seeing me regardless of telling them that there is an audience waiting for our show to begin

I did NOT expect any special treatment

You don't have to remember this stuff.  It is there to cut and paste.

Nobody really cares about this that greatly.  It is more amusing than annoying.

Offline 425

« Reply #850 on: March 09, 2015, 07:47:08 AM »
I feel bad for the people who like his current music and thus have to square his persona with his output. I perceive this at an "All Rose" level of detachment, and hell, it is mighty entertaining.
I think for me, nuclear meltdown would happen if he decided to drum for my current favorite artist, Steven Wilson. Luckily, I judge that percentage to be close to zero.

Umm... Steven Wilson tends to have exactly the same issue with PR as Mike does. He makes very honest statements about his feelings on something without regard to how people may perceive them. Like just a couple of months ago when he said something to the effect of "Why would I want to go back to that?" with regard to a Porcupine Tree reunion and everyone was debating about what he actually meant.

To say nothing of the fact that Mike is a generally good guy who has the occasional misdirected emotional outburst (and Steven is a generally good guy who sometimes doesn't think through the ramifications of his statements), while Axl Rose is by all accounts not a very good guy.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #851 on: March 09, 2015, 08:53:13 AM »
I disagree. Steven Wilson has certain opinions he is vocal about that a lot of people seem to disagree with, but that IMO is just honesty. The example you give ("Why would I ever go back?") for example was neither accusatory nor rude nor passive-aggressive. It was simply very honest.
MP's public outbursts are something very different, IMHO.

But, I'll give you that SW probably also gets more leeway since he's an artist who is gaining more and more traction. MP is all over the place.

Offline r0cken

« Reply #852 on: March 09, 2015, 09:08:56 AM »
People are evil.
Mike's no politician, he got frustrated and vented online.  Nothing he said justifies all the outrage, the hate and name calling that went on. Fucking horrible.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #853 on: March 09, 2015, 10:21:39 AM »
Nothing he said justifies all the outrage, the hate and name calling that went on. Fucking horrible.
Well, I agree with all of that, but I don't agree that Mike was "just venting online".

Although I've said that it's irrelevant that he's a public figure, by that I mean that I don't think people who AREN'T public figures should get a free pass to say whatever they want. I find it just as annoying if a friend of mine does that sort of thing.

However, it does have a lot more impact because he posts these on his public FB page for the whole world to see. If it was him venting to his friends and that leaked, we would have no justification for commenting because loads of people do that with their friends. But I will concede that if you're a public figure, then things you say on your public social media are VERY public. Again I disagree that he should have to be any more respectful than anyone else (I think most people should be more respectful generally), but it would be wise from a PR perspective.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #854 on: March 09, 2015, 10:46:19 AM »
People are evil.
Mike's no politician, he got frustrated and vented online.  Nothing he said justifies all the outrage, the hate and name calling that went on. Fucking horrible.

I have to disagree. Showing up 45 minutes before a gig at an ER with nothing but a flu (yes, they suck, we've all had them), then lashing out publicly at the guys/women who do insane hours to save actual lives, is an all-time low. Anybody with even the slightest amount of decency would have *properly* apologized. But, all he did again was the relativization crap, with "I don't know much about the British healthcare system". We all appreciate the effort he puts into pleasing his fans, but at the same time he is a spoiled brat who fully deserved the backlash he got.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #855 on: March 09, 2015, 11:13:51 AM »
I don't think his fans turned on him until he replied to the logical guy by calling him an idiot and threatening to ban him.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #856 on: March 09, 2015, 11:19:00 AM »
People are evil.

I have to disagree. Showing up 45 minutes before a gig at an ER with nothing but a flu (yes, they suck, we've all had them), then lashing out publicly at the guys/women who do insane hours to save actual lives, is an all-time low. Anybody with even the slightest amount of decency would have *properly* apologized. But, all he did again was the relativization crap, with "I don't know much about the British healthcare system". We all appreciate the effort he puts into pleasing his fans, but at the same time he is a spoiled brat who fully deserved the backlash he got.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #857 on: March 09, 2015, 11:21:19 AM »
One of the hospital's employees posted this;

Calvin6s

« Reply #858 on: March 09, 2015, 11:23:29 AM »
We are talking about the Facebook backlash, not the DTF discussion, right?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #859 on: March 09, 2015, 11:24:03 AM »

Umm... Steven Wilson tends to have exactly the same issue with PR as Mike does. He makes very honest statements about his feelings on something without regard to how people may perceive them. Like just a couple of months ago when he said something to the effect of "Why would I want to go back to that?" with regard to a Porcupine Tree reunion and everyone was debating about what he actually meant.

To say nothing of the fact that Mike is a generally good guy who has the occasional misdirected emotional outburst (and Steven is a generally good guy who sometimes doesn't think through the ramifications of his statements), while Axl Rose is by all accounts not a very good guy.

Not at all.  It's not even close to the same thing.  Wilson says the occasional thing some disagree with, but you never see him have temper tantrums, dramatic outbusts, etc. online.  And he's online quite a bit now.  People just don't randomly decide to start "picking on" a musician; all of the heat Mike Portnoy has gotten over the years for the countless incidents he created, he brought on himself.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #860 on: March 09, 2015, 11:53:54 AM »
Agreed.  Even though SW can be a bit brusque, I've never seen him call out innocents...  and if he ever did, I would simply expect him to apologize and move on.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline 425

« Reply #861 on: March 09, 2015, 12:43:01 PM »
My intended meaning I guess was that he has the same basic problem but the specifics are different. Yes, obviously Mike tends to be more public and emotional in his statements, but both of them do have the problem of saying things that they mean but that they should not say from a PR standpoint.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #862 on: March 09, 2015, 01:23:01 PM »
Neal must have felt a bit like A7X back in the day, where your drummer-for-hire creates this shitstorm that overshadows your tour.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #863 on: March 09, 2015, 01:24:09 PM »
If Portnoy keeps having these outbursts - soon nobody will want to work with him.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #864 on: March 09, 2015, 01:46:54 PM »
If Portnoy keeps having these outbursts - soon nobody will want to work with him.

I thought that years ago after his DT departure and subsequent comments, but he's such a great drummer and prog icon that I think he'll always be a commodity.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #865 on: March 09, 2015, 01:57:38 PM »
These last few pages have been sickening, from his original comments to the constant bitching about him.

Soon after he left DT, I thought that his career is going to end in one great tragedy. These types on incidents seem to be increasingly intense, and the road that these are on concerns me.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #866 on: March 09, 2015, 03:21:49 PM »
My intended meaning I guess was that he has the same basic problem but the specifics are different. Yes, obviously Mike tends to be more public and emotional in his statements, but both of them do have the problem of saying things that they mean but that they should not say from a PR standpoint.

The specifics are different enough to where it's like comparing apples and oranges.

I can't see Neal ever not wanting to work with him.  They seem to have a bond where they are almost like brothers, and I don't see that changing ever.  Granted, you could have said that about Portnoy and Petrucci six years ago, but this is just different.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #867 on: March 09, 2015, 03:24:21 PM »

The specifics are different enough to where it's like comparing apples and oranges.
I agree.  I don't see any similarity.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline 425

« Reply #868 on: March 09, 2015, 03:34:23 PM »

Yeah, I guess you're right. I wasn't entirely awake when I wrote that originally.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #869 on: March 09, 2015, 03:38:37 PM »
Haha, it's all good.  :hat

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #870 on: March 09, 2015, 03:49:34 PM »
I can't see Neal ever not wanting to work with him.  They seem to have a bond where they are almost like brothers, and I don't see that changing ever.

I find Neal's adherence to MP a bit bewildering. Sure, he's a great drummer, but wouldn't you want to try new things musically at some point? One reason (other than the lyrics) why I don't really listen to Neal is because every album has exactly the same fricking sound.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #871 on: March 09, 2015, 03:53:50 PM »
I can't see Neal ever not wanting to work with him.  They seem to have a bond where they are almost like brothers, and I don't see that changing ever.

I find Neal's adherence to MP a bit bewildering. Sure, he's a great drummer, but wouldn't you want to try new things musically at some point? One reason (other than the lyrics) why I don't really listen to Neal is because every album has exactly the same fricking sound.

My best friends' best friend is an absolute douchebag, but he's still his best friend and was the best man at his wedding. They grew up together, are like brothers, but he's such a pompous ass it's ridiculous. I consider him a friend too, but fuck.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #872 on: March 09, 2015, 03:54:28 PM »

Yeah, seriously. :lol

I actually wasn't serious, but still he did start it.  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TL

« Reply #873 on: March 09, 2015, 06:31:56 PM »
People are evil.
Not just about Mike, but people in general;
We're in an era now where this notion really needs to die. That someone was "just venting" when they posted something online, so whatever they say should be glossed over.
The internet isn't a new thing anymore. When you put something online, whether you're putting it directly in front of a million people or a dozen people, you're putting it on the internet for potentially the whole world to see. If something is only meant for a few people, the damn internet is not the place for it, especially not on something like facebook, twitter, or a public forum. If you just need to vent a bit, do so in person with people around you who will take it for what it is, or vent to someone by phone or text one-on-one.

You don't get to publicly say something where a lot of people could reasonably see/hear it, and then use the excuse that you weren't talking to them.
Don't agree? Too bad. Whether it's right or not, that's how the internet works.

Again, not just about Mike. A hell of a lot of people out in the world could really use something akin to 'Common Sense on the Internet 101'.

Offline r0cken

« Reply #874 on: March 09, 2015, 11:59:38 PM »
Don't feel bad for me, I love most of his current projects, and I couldn't care less about his "persona". I don't live with him, I just listen to his music. Attitude problems are nothing new in the entertainment business and his are by far not the worst.
Like I said, people are just out for blood.