Author Topic: Mike Portnoy  (Read 193458 times)

Offline 425

Re: Mike Portnoy
« Reply #805 on: March 08, 2015, 06:16:43 PM »
Quote from: Mike Portnoy
I'd just like to apologize to anybody I offended with yesterday's post…it was not a personal attack or rage against England's health care system in general (of which I know nothing about)…Yesterday I was the sickest I've EVER been in my life.
The paramedics came to see me at the gig and then decided to take me to the emergency room, only for the ambulance to run out of gas and I was then driven to the hospital by a very kind fan who offered to help. Neal & I calmly waited in the A&E without any indication from any of the staff of when I would be seen. I did NOT expect any special treatment or wanted to be put ahead of anybody else in need. (as I have been so wrongly accused)…we only wanted some (ANY!) answers as the clock was ticking until showtime...
At 7:45, I had to make the decision to continue to wait and cancel the show…or leave without being seen in order to make the 8pm show. I desperately did NOT want to disappoint the fans and made the decision to leave in order to make the show. I played the show in the worst physical condition of my life.
I'm sure you can imagine how frustrating this experience was and I stupidly posted about it on my social media. I am shocked and appauled at some of the rude and downright nasty comments that have been posted in the wake of this…really, 10x worse than my post. It's sad to see such hatred…but whatever, I can suck it up and take it. I surely never meant for such attention and controversy.
Thank you to everybody that cared and sent me well wishes and prayers…the positive vibes will help me on the road to recovery.
In any case, I really need to crawl back in my bunk, get off the internet to try and recooperate...but I wanted to address this issue and explain what happened and apologize to whomever I offended.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 10:52:46 PM by 425 »
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #806 on: March 08, 2015, 06:20:40 PM »
As has been stated many times before, he should probably not have access to social media.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #807 on: March 08, 2015, 06:22:14 PM »
I do follow Neal on FB and twitter (I do not follow Portnoy), and he posted this a short time ago:

Regarding last night in London, the paramedics came around 6:00 and THEY said Mike should go to the hospital, loaded him in the ambulance (I got in with him). They ran vitals. Then, after some time the driver said they were too low on fuel and suggested alternate transport. Shocked and in a bit of a panic, I ran into the venue and asked if anyone had a car. We got a ride from a very kind fan and it took us 30 minutes because of traffic that the ambulance probably could've avoided. It was now about 7:15 and we were supposed to go on around 8:00. The women at emergency told us to sit and wait though we gave them the ambulance papers and told them the situation. No one would tell us anything about how long it might take or any info at all. I did most of the talking as Mike was pretty out of it. No one made a scene at all. We were all very polite to one another. So we waited...Not sure what to do, at around 7:45, I went back where it said no admittance and found a nurse who kindly looked him up in the computer to see where he was in the queue and said he wouldn't be seen for quite awhile and there was no way to change that. So, Mike opted to go back and do the gig untreated.That's what happened as best I can tell it.
My only comment is that Mike was never rude to anyone at all during the whole process. This is being blown way out of proportion. There was no rage at all. The fact that he did the gig as well as he did is a testimony to what a workhorse kind of guy he is! I had the same thing and went to the doctor (I've never been to the doctor on tour in my life!) in Zurich 2 days before and I can tell you it's nasty. Anyway, I just wanted everyone to know how it all went down.
Thank you,
Neal

----

I think Neal missed the main problem, which was his pal trashing the hospital on social media.
Yeah, pretty much.

Also, if you get into an ambulance at T-120 your gig is cancelled, mate. That's just all there is to it. If It'd been in Dallas and I'd been the helpful fan, I'd have gotten him to a Dr. in 15 minutes, tops, but the outcome wouldn't have been much different. And I still maintain that the Dr's treatment would have been a prescription for bed rest, which he would have blown off with extreme prejudice.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #808 on: March 08, 2015, 06:27:40 PM »
Given that they both posted their comments within minutes of each other, I am guessing Neal got in his ear, they talked it out, and put out their joint posts. Call it damage control, if you will.

Sadly for him, when I read some of the comments on his status earlier, some of the comments were pretty awful.  I am sure he would think we here were too critical of him, but we looked like choir boys compared to some of those people on FB, which is usually how it goes with social media.  People look at it as a license to say the most outrageous things possible. 

Calvin6s

« Reply #809 on: March 08, 2015, 06:28:28 PM »
Neal Morse explained it way better than MP.  If MP was sick enough to not be in the right state of mind to post, then he should have friends to ask "should I post this?". 

Personally, I have worked physical work while being f*d up from a virus and if the job is simple enough, I can do it.  But if you stop to talk to me, I sound drunk.  Lots of pauses.  Wait ... wait ... let me collect my thoughts ... irritated.  Definitely wouldn't run to post something seen round the world by thousands of people.

But talk about missed opportunities.  Instead of starting it out with blame, how about talking about how great that fan was and how lucky you are to have people like that.  If a guy I didn't really know well looked sick and asked to get in my car, I'd probably swallow my keys.

This is so funny because I'm very aware of how "high and mighty" we sound when we are handing out life lessons to MP.

Offline 425

« Reply #810 on: March 08, 2015, 06:30:30 PM »
Quote from: Mike Portnoy
I am shocked and appauled at some of the rude and downright nasty comments that have been posted in the wake of this…really, 10x worse than my post. It's sad to see such hatred…but whatever, I can suck it up and take it. I surely never meant for such attention and controversy.

Out of the MP apology I quoted a few posts up, I think this is perhaps the most important fragment. I believe the last sentence, and I at least believe that he somewhat justly holds the debatable opinion in the first sentence (honestly, for as poorly as he uses social media at times, there are a lot of Facebook commenters that are pretty needlessly rude to him). The second sentence is where he runs into trouble, because I think he doesn't do as well as he thinks he does at "sucking it up and taking it," which is one very good reason for him to get some kind of PR consultant.

Partially retracted. See below.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 10:51:51 PM by 425 »
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #811 on: March 08, 2015, 06:31:40 PM »
lol this whole thing

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #812 on: March 08, 2015, 06:33:41 PM »
Hopefully he's picked up a few secret rules about keeping certain feelings secret.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline 425

« Reply #813 on: March 08, 2015, 06:34:37 PM »
But talk about missed opportunities.  Instead of starting it out with blame, how about talking about how great that fan was and how lucky you are to have people like that.  If a guy I didn't really know well looked sick and asked to get in my car, I'd probably swallow my keys.

To be fair, if it was Neal Morse asking you to take him and Mike Portnoy in your car, that would be a slightly different situation than some random acquaintance. At least for me ("hell yes, I'll drive half of Transatlantic anywhere they want to go").
And if spirit's a sign,

Calvin6s

« Reply #814 on: March 08, 2015, 06:37:01 PM »
there are a lot of Facebook commenters that are pretty needlessly rude to him

And it is why I'm not a big fan of Facebook.  Even though I don't know El Barto in real life or very well, him being rude to me on this forum would carry infinitely more weight than some Facebook douche.  So you have to take everything in the form it is presented.  YouTube comment bashing ... who gives a crap.  A forum of individuals that share common interests and post back and forth to each other frequently on a forum, take heed ... but don't lose sleep over it.  An actual real life friend:  you know them well enough to know when they are right about you and when they are demonstrating their own personal flaws.

If you curl up in the fetal position and cry from Facebook posts, then .... yeah.

Calvin6s

« Reply #815 on: March 08, 2015, 06:39:06 PM »

To be fair, if it was Neal Morse asking you to take him and Mike Portnoy in your car, that would be a slightly different situation than some random acquaintance. At least for me ("hell yes, I'll drive half of Transatlantic anywhere they want to go").

But that was my point.  Recognize the positives of celebrity instead of whining that your celebrity isn't big enough to push the commoners aside.

Offline 425

« Reply #816 on: March 08, 2015, 06:42:52 PM »
Ah, I get that. Yeah, that's honestly pretty special. That would have been a great Facebook post for MP to make last night.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline 425

« Reply #817 on: March 08, 2015, 06:48:11 PM »
Also, just wanted to share kind of an interestingly timed Facebook post from Mike Mangini related to Mike Portnoy (though unrelated to the particular incident at hand):

Quote from: Mike Mangini
I played onstage with DT in Boston during this "6 Degrees" tour on the kit with two stools. I had no idea that was going to happen. Mike Portnoy stuck his back up headphones on me and said "just follow me." I did. I smiled the whole time! What are the favorites from this album?
And if spirit's a sign,

Calvin6s

« Reply #818 on: March 08, 2015, 06:54:54 PM »
My understanding of Portnoy is he is genuinely a nice guy with some personality flaws as opposed to a dick that fakes being nice.

But like I said, I'm totally aware that our postings are coming off as know it all or high and mighty.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #819 on: March 08, 2015, 07:00:14 PM »
They're a little blunt but I hardly think they're unwarranted considering the way most of this rants are worded. I have met him in person before and had a small chat and can confirm that he is a nice guy but from what I've seen online he's just a little too thin skinned to make the type of comments he makes

Offline 425

« Reply #820 on: March 08, 2015, 07:33:50 PM »
My understanding of Portnoy is he is genuinely a nice guy with some personality flaws as opposed to a dick that fakes being nice.

My understanding of Portnoy is that there is nothing "fake" about him. I don't think the guy has ever faked a thing.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #821 on: March 08, 2015, 07:36:05 PM »

My understanding of Portnoy is that there is nothing "fake" about him. I don't think the guy has ever faked a thing.

Except his apologies. 

I'm sorry *if* I offended anybody.  If I didn't then fuck'em!

Offline PetFish

« Reply #822 on: March 08, 2015, 09:10:04 PM »
I wonder how the fans feel about this, and other times, when MP has used the "all for the fans" reasons behind what he does?  I know I wouldn't appreciate being used as a reason for this type of behaviour.

Personally, if it's that bad I'd rather have them cancel the show and get well.  Worst-case scenario:  What if MP dies on-stage cuz he didn't want disappoint the fans?  I'd be pretty upset to know that he'd put his own health/life in danger just to please me and the other fans rather than get things taken care of.  We're not going to riot, he's not Axel Rose not showing up for no reason, we would understand and we would be there for the re-schedule.

It seems like they're trying to blame everyone else but themselves for this.  Trying to find any way to justify an un-justifiable situation.  Now they're saying the paramedics told MP to go to the hospital, so it's their fault.  What if they said to just give you fluids and you'll be ok and then you get seriously sick cuz you should have gone to the hospital?  Then it would be their fault also since they should have erred on the side of caution.

I'd be willing to bet most of us have been to an ER and been upset about something there, gone home and bitched to friends and family a little, then gotten over it.  It took time, thought, and effort for MP to make the original post which means there was time for second thoughts and personal review so it was 100% pre-meditated.  And then to retaliate against others takes more time, thought, and effort and now his wife and Neal Morse and even people that work at the hospital are also involved.

There are many great posts in this thread of how MP *could* have respectfully vented and nobody would be saying anything so it's not like MP had to keep it shut altogether.

"It's not *what* you say, it's *how* you say it."

Just when I think MP has moved on or chilled-out something always seems to happen.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #823 on: March 08, 2015, 09:25:41 PM »
All I ever wanted was for him to step up and apologize.

He did.

It's over now.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 09:32:48 PM by jammindude »
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Calvin6s

« Reply #824 on: March 08, 2015, 09:31:40 PM »

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #825 on: March 08, 2015, 09:32:50 PM »
All I ever wanted was for him to step up and apologized.

He did.

It's over now.
Yep. This is starting to reach the "DTF nitpicks MP to death" territory.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #826 on: March 08, 2015, 09:38:45 PM »

He did.

Ummm, no he didn't.  What he did is referred to as a "non-apology apology".

He is not sorry for what he said, he is simply sorry only in the event that someone was offended.  He absolved himself of the responsibility to apologize and placed the burden on those who got their feelings hurt. 

It happens all the time in politics and it is no less lame. 

Offline jammindude

« Reply #827 on: March 08, 2015, 10:11:44 PM »
I've never taken a vacation from any site ever...at all....in my 20 years OL.

This is the closest I've ever come to saying something that would earn me my first....   All mods...I want this noted.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #828 on: March 08, 2015, 10:16:49 PM »

He did.

It's over now.

This

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #829 on: March 08, 2015, 10:41:55 PM »
Mike Portnoy can fuck off, this is just unreal.
None of this, please. If you want to criticise someone for being disrespectful, at least be respectful yourself while doing so.

Just want to say that I really don't think my comment is that bad, but whatever, I'll move on and try and be respectful about someone is totally disrespectful.  :P
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline 425

« Reply #830 on: March 08, 2015, 10:51:24 PM »
All I ever wanted was for him to step up and apologized.

He did.

It's over now.
Yep. This is starting to reach the "DTF nitpicks MP to death" territory.

Yeah, I agree, and I think I got too nitpicky earlier, particularly in my post #810. Picking apart his apology line-by-line like that wasn't really needed. Mike, if you still read this forum, sorry about that post. I'm a huge fan and I wouldn't want you to think that I'm someone who's out looking for your every flaw and error. Get well soon.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #831 on: March 08, 2015, 10:59:30 PM »
Whatever, PetDick

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #832 on: March 08, 2015, 11:06:24 PM »
Whatever, PetDick

Now you're just acting like MP's original post. 

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #833 on: March 08, 2015, 11:28:15 PM »
Damn, he apologized. I guess I'll put his poster back up.

Nah

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #834 on: March 08, 2015, 11:32:16 PM »
Whatever, PetDick
Whatever, Prog Knob.

:neverusethis:

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #835 on: March 08, 2015, 11:39:41 PM »
Whatever, PetDick
Whatever, Prog Knob.

:neverusethis:

I was trying to come up with something clever for your name but it's too late.  :lol

However, I do HAVE a prog knob. In Italian, I believe it's called salsiccia.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #836 on: March 08, 2015, 11:59:24 PM »
I'll be honest, for a while it seemed as if MP was trying to lose fans. His attitude and public bashing toward DT (mainly JLB and the hints toward JMx) during the split, the whole ADTOE t-shirt incident... stuff like that made me start to think that he was a complete dick (which may not be too far off), but this time I honestly think he's getting too much shit over a comment he made (that he still probably shouldn't have made in the first place, but...) about a situation he was unhappy with. This is the first time I actually feel bad for the guy. I get that people feel betrayed that he left DT because he thought he had a place in A7X, I get it. But there comes a time where you just let it go, and move on and let him move on and that's it. Decisions were made, there's no going back. Bottom line. I wish people would give him a break. After all, he does only do it for the fans... he just needs a damn PR rep.
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Mladen

« Reply #837 on: March 09, 2015, 04:17:59 AM »
I think Neal missed the main problem, which was his pal trashing the hospital on social media.
True, but he never intended to address that problem. He wanted to explain Mike's condition and that happened behind the whole internet drama.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #838 on: March 09, 2015, 04:33:10 AM »
Also, what some people here (where we are, for the most part, reasonable) don't seem to be realising is that a lot of the backlash on Facebook was at least as unreasonable as MP was in the first place, downright rude and much of it based on assumptions. As far as I can tell, Neal and Mike in his apology have been addressing that side of things.

Part of the problem, I think, is that there is so much of that crap that those of us who try to make constructive points (like most of us have in this thread) get muddled in with the genuine "haters", and I think Mike struggles to distinguish between the two.

I still find it incredibly hypocritical that people will be so downright offensive when they criticise him for being offensive, but then I guess that's almost the definition of trolling.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #839 on: March 09, 2015, 05:02:41 AM »
Hey guys, saw this thread being active. His new music must be rea..... Oh, wow  :facepalm:

Ugh, seriously, why does this guy always have these meltdowns surrounding him. I like him better when he gets a root canal procedure.

(still love his work! And while tactless, I do think he is a good guy and means well).