Author Topic: Mike Portnoy  (Read 193510 times)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Mike Portnoy
« Reply #735 on: March 08, 2015, 04:53:13 AM »
I can only assume that because MP and most of these websites reporting on it are American, they don't actually understand how healthcare works in the UK. As he's not British, he or his insurance will presumably have to pay anyway so I don't know why he went to clog up a public NHS hospital - he should have gone somewhere private.
Even here in America, if he went to any local ER, he would be seen in order of importance of illness/injury. 

I would have thought that a tour like this would have a local private doctor "on call" for emergencies like this.

I thought this is how ER's work, regardless of which country you're in.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #736 on: March 08, 2015, 05:36:02 AM »
Reading this all now...good grief. 

So, let me get this straight: he was too sick to even raise his arms, but those arms were apparently well enough to type out of a message on social media...that criticized people who work in a hospital saving lives...hours before playing a concert for his friend, who writes music about God and Jesus. 

There is simply no defending these actions.

If what I imagine will be the fallout from this does not convince him that he needs someone to help him with PR, I think nothing will.

Considering what his wife posted about it on FB, it seems clear that those close to him enable his diva behavior, so I doubt he's gonna get it this time either. 

I think he has now officially Axl Rose/Geoff Tate/Eddie Van Halen/Phil Anselmo territory.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #737 on: March 08, 2015, 06:07:46 AM »
he was too sick to even raise his arms, but those arms were apparently well enough to type out of a message on social media
I don't think this is at all relevant - you only need to have one dexterous finger to be able to type something on your phone.

But I agree that there's no defending his behaviour.

However:

Mike Portnoy can fuck off, this is just unreal.
None of this, please. If you want to criticise someone for being disrespectful, at least be respectful yourself while doing so.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
« Reply #738 on: March 08, 2015, 06:39:44 AM »
Gonna say, even if he can't lift his arms, A&E won't see him faster than some because it's not major. It's still minor.
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #739 on: March 08, 2015, 06:58:47 AM »
I thought MP's original post was pretty bad, but his responses to the comments... :facepalm:

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #740 on: March 08, 2015, 07:01:03 AM »
I've said it before (and probably in this thread) but someone just needs to take MP's hands off the social media tools the world has. He simply doesn't use them very well and never comes off the way he intends to, resulting in a lot of people just shaking their heads and saying "Dammit, Mike."
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #741 on: March 08, 2015, 07:02:39 AM »
Well, social media often results in many people unwittingly outing their true selves.  Take that for what it's worth.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #742 on: March 08, 2015, 07:14:16 AM »
Lol Portnoy.

He used to be my favourite member of the band and I wanted his DVDs until he quit the band and he revealed his true colours.

Mangini 100% deserves to be in the band. He knows he's really blessed to be in a band like Dream Theater and he doesn't take it for granted AT ALL.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #743 on: March 08, 2015, 07:27:36 AM »
I saw the post he made last night and was honestly glad that most of the comments were people just honestly telling him how hospitals work, rather than encouraging his behavior. I try to take the man's posts in stride, but he was just flat out wrong on this one, show to play or not.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Calvin6s

« Reply #744 on: March 08, 2015, 08:02:53 AM »
regardless of telling them that there is an audience waiting for our show to begin
:facepalm:

Cringetacular.  That would make me want to serve him that much less. 
Hospital order:
1.  The truly dying
2.  Not dying but in risk of irreversible damage
20.  The mother that has to pick up her kid from school
76.  The man with the sniffles
99.  The kid with tickets to tonight's Neal Morse concert
100.  The drummer at tonight's Neal Morse concert

I do kind of wonder how different the response would have been if he never left Dream Theater and this was a DT gig he was missing.

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #745 on: March 08, 2015, 08:27:26 AM »
I do kind of wonder how different the response would have been if he never left Dream Theater and this was a DT gig he was missing.

It's not uncommon for a big touring band to have a doctor or a medic on board for the tour, or at the very least available on the various locations. I think with Dream Theater, this would never have happened, as they have the means to be able to afford stuff like that. I don't think The Neal Morse Band can afford to have a doctor travel along as well. So, I don't think it ever could have happened had he still been in DT.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #746 on: March 08, 2015, 08:34:44 AM »

Offline Skeever

« Reply #747 on: March 08, 2015, 08:48:24 AM »
Cool video from the show last night: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqCS8-DTLSw

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #748 on: March 08, 2015, 08:59:48 AM »
Bringing out this classic again  :biggrin:

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #749 on: March 08, 2015, 09:29:12 AM »
He surely crossed the crooked step. :P

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #750 on: March 08, 2015, 09:57:48 AM »
He's failed this PR debacle with flying colors since he hobviously has no remorse about it.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #751 on: March 08, 2015, 10:01:47 AM »
My favorite comment so far:

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #752 on: March 08, 2015, 10:13:43 AM »
Given how I totally am no longer invested in any of his musical output, I find all this highly amusing.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #753 on: March 08, 2015, 10:52:19 AM »
Reading this all now...good grief. 

So, let me get this straight: he was too sick to even raise his arms, but those arms were apparently well enough to type out of a message on social media...that criticized people who work in a hospital saving lives...hours before playing a concert for his friend, who writes music about God and Jesus. 

There is simply no defending these actions.

If what I imagine will be the fallout from this does not convince him that he needs someone to help him with PR, I think nothing will.

Considering what his wife posted about it on FB, it seems clear that those close to him enable his diva behavior, so I doubt he's gonna get it this time either. 

I think he has now officially Axl Rose/Geoff Tate/Eddie Van Halen/Phil Anselmo territory.

Mike Portnoy is a royal cunt, but I just want to point out that Phil Anselmo has really turned himself around and is one of the coolest dudes in metal these days.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #754 on: March 08, 2015, 11:11:08 AM »
What if he was really sick, guys? After all, he just wanted to perform for the fans. And to see the fans being negative basically towards him being afraid that he won't be able to perform for them, well, it must have been hard. But yeah, Mike has been around social media for a while, he knows his honesty will lead to angry comments.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #755 on: March 08, 2015, 11:14:11 AM »
Mike Portnoy is a royal cunt, but I just want to point out that Phil Anselmo has really turned himself around and is one of the coolest dudes in metal these days.
Can you not read?

None of this, please. If you want to criticise someone for being disrespectful, at least be respectful yourself while doing so.
Next post like that will see a ban.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #756 on: March 08, 2015, 11:16:00 AM »
What if he was really sick, guys? After all, he just wanted to perform for the fans. And to see the fans being negative basically towards him being afraid that he won't be able to perform for them, well, it must have been hard. But yeah, Mike has been around social media for a while, he knows his honesty will lead to angry comments.

I'm sure he is.  And I'm sure his lack of judgment came from being extremely sick, tired and frustrated beyond belief.   I've done it.  I'm sure we all have.

That doesn't mean he doesn't owe the hospital a big apology.   

If I'm sick, and I act like a prick because I'm not feeling well, I fess up and apologize. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #757 on: March 08, 2015, 11:21:37 AM »
Yes, but when you're a public figure, it doesn't matter how sick you are. You don't act like a spoiled brat, badmouthing another country's hospital because they wouldn't put you to the front of the line because you had to play a show for your fans, ESPECIALLY if you're over 40 years old. What kind of example is that setting?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #758 on: March 08, 2015, 11:45:06 AM »
I'm not defending his behavior, but I also hate this "public figure" metality.   He's a human being with a job.   I don't buy that "public figures" are somehow supposed to be better than human.   

He's an imperfect person who got ticked off and screwed up.   He needs to apologize. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #759 on: March 08, 2015, 12:06:11 PM »
I would think British emergency room doctors have a DAMN good idea how sick a person is. If MP wasn´t prioritized, he simply wasn´t sick enough to warrant it.

Also, believe it or not, some people send follow-up posts to questionable posts of theirs, relativizing their previous outburst ("sorry guys, and I apologize, this was in the heat of the moment."
I believe the only follow-up post MP did was telling a poster "Keep it coming, and you can see how fast I ban you."

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #760 on: March 08, 2015, 12:17:33 PM »
I would think British emergency room doctors have a DAMN good idea how sick a person is. If MP wasn´t prioritized, he simply wasn´t sick enough to warrant it.

Also, believe it or not, some people send follow-up posts to questionable posts of theirs, relativizing their previous outburst ("sorry guys, and I apologize, this was in the heat of the moment."
I believe the only follow-up post MP did was telling a poster "Keep it coming, and you can see how fast I ban you."

You forgot, "show everyone how much of an idiot you are".

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #761 on: March 08, 2015, 12:23:34 PM »
I'm not defending his behavior, but I also hate this "public figure" metality.   He's a human being with a job.   I don't buy that "public figures" are somehow supposed to be better than human.   

He's an imperfect person who got ticked off and screwed up.   He needs to apologize. 
Completely agreed on all counts. The fact that he's a public figure is entirely irrelevant, which is surely the point here anyway!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #762 on: March 08, 2015, 12:40:32 PM »
Either way, he should know better by now.

He's just destroying his image even further. I actually just replaced his signed poster on my wall.

My new poster:

Fits more with the rest of my room anyway. Nerd Central.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #763 on: March 08, 2015, 12:47:01 PM »
Who knows, maybe this was one of those painful moments in one's career where you realize "my current status is a shadow of its former self". Like, yeah, when in DT, a moment like this would have been resolved by management and the flow of sufficient money. Now he found himself being put to the back of the line like every Joe Shmoe who feels sick.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #764 on: March 08, 2015, 12:52:46 PM »
His apology:

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #765 on: March 08, 2015, 12:55:04 PM »
Funny to post a slogan like that when he's touring with an uber-Christian. The above sentiment is the violent opposite to Jesus' teachings.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #766 on: March 08, 2015, 12:55:57 PM »
Who knows, maybe this was one of those painful moments in one's career where you realize "my current status is a shadow of its former self". Like, yeah, when in DT, a moment like this would have been resolved by management and the flow of sufficient money. Now he found himself being put to the back of the line like every Joe Shmoe who feels sick.
But did he really need that much label support? I don't gather MP is gonna show up on some Robin Leech program or anything, but surely the guy could write a check to a private doctor somewhere. Granted I'm not familiar with UK healthcare, but isn't it possible to see a private doctor on your own dime? Hell, I'd expect the venue to actually have the number of one on hand. It's not like he needs a surgeon as part of the tour staff.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #767 on: March 08, 2015, 12:59:08 PM »
regardless of telling them that there is an audience waiting for our show to begin
:facepalm:

Cringetacular.  That would make me want to serve him that much less. 
Hospital order:
1.  The truly dying
2.  Not dying but in risk of irreversible damage
20.  The mother that has to pick up her kid from school
76.  The man with the sniffles
99.  The kid with tickets to tonight's Neal Morse concert
100.  The drummer at tonight's Neal Morse concert

:rollin

Well, if some dude that works on Starbucks bitches on facebook to his 350 facebook friends, it is going to have a much different impact than a popular musician bitching to his 1.3 million fans.  Nobody (well, most people) are pissed that he was upset that he was sick and didn't get treated right away.  They are pissed that he said something stupid and then doubled down instead of walking back.  Nobody is saying he should be a better human being but he should definitely be better at understanding the impact his words have. 

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #768 on: March 08, 2015, 01:11:51 PM »
But did he really need that much label support? I don't gather MP is gonna show up on some Robin Leech program or anything, but surely the guy could write a check to a private doctor somewhere. Granted I'm not familiar with UK healthcare, but isn't it possible to see a private doctor on your own dime? Hell, I'd expect the venue to actually have the number of one on hand. It's not like he needs a surgeon as part of the tour staff.

Well, the fact that he had to "resort" to the measly front entrance of the building seems to indicate that he either doesn't have to funds or the connections to cut the line.
To my understanding, Neal's concerts are sorta club concerts. That's the "sustainable" level of musicianship, but you're barely breaking even. Meaning, MP will likely not walk away with a lot of money from this, and management is probably mostly Neal himself.
So, when MP felt sick in DT, it was probably somebody like Frank Solomon making calls and doing the bribes to get him to a doctor. With Neal's band it's probably "dude, google for the nearest hospital. You got travel insurance, right?"

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #769 on: March 08, 2015, 01:22:31 PM »
^ That sums it up nicely I suppose.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey