Author Topic: Mike Portnoy  (Read 193587 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Mike Portnoy
« Reply #700 on: January 11, 2015, 05:26:49 PM »
Pretty much expected. When a lot of rock musicians reach MP's age they get to a point where they stop being adventurous and sort of stick to their typical bag of tricks. Same thing happened to Neal Morse and has even happened to Petrucci.

To bring up the obvious comparison, when did Neil Peart relearn drumming? Was he still reasonably young?

EDIT: Just answered my own question. When he was 42.
EDIT2: Whoa, and took another set of lessons in 2007, when he was 55. But, I think that's also why Neil is in the upper echelon of drummers.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #701 on: January 11, 2015, 05:43:46 PM »
In the early 90's Neil said he learned all he could on drums.  In 1996 he admitted he was wrong.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #702 on: January 11, 2015, 05:54:27 PM »
Pretty much expected. When a lot of rock musicians reach MP's age they get to a point where they stop being adventurous and sort of stick to their typical bag of tricks. Same thing happened to Neal Morse and has even happened to Petrucci.

To bring up the obvious comparison, when did Neil Peart relearn drumming? Was he still reasonably young?

EDIT: Just answered my own question. When he was 42.
EDIT2: Whoa, and took another set of lessons in 2007, when he was 55. But, I think that's also why Neil is in the upper echelon of drummers.
Yea Neil Peart is the obvious exception. Frankly I think he should be the standard though, not an exception. The popular attitude that you don't need to practice anymore when you reach a certain age is lame. Jordan Rudess is another who continues to push himself I think.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #703 on: January 11, 2015, 06:00:39 PM »
Then why would I rather listen to 1978-1981 Neal Peart than anything he's done recently?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #704 on: January 11, 2015, 06:01:37 PM »
Then why would I rather listen to 1978-1981 Neal Peart than anything he's done recently?
Just because he keeps learning doesn't mean you're automatically going to like his newer input more...

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #705 on: January 11, 2015, 06:19:08 PM »
Yeah, and you certainly can't fault the drumming for it. To me, a track like "Malignant Narcissism" runs drumming circles around MP.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #706 on: January 11, 2015, 06:32:19 PM »

Cuz you down swing.

Cuckoo baby.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Mosh

« Reply #707 on: January 11, 2015, 06:57:43 PM »
My impression was that working with Gruber helped Peart to learn restraint and how to appreciate the space in between the notes as much as the notes themselves. So not necessarily something that would enhance his technical abilities, but more a way of playing with more feel. He used to be an extremely tight player, which was fine but a bit robotic at times. These days he has more groove and plays looser.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #708 on: January 11, 2015, 07:04:18 PM »
Which is something new for him to learn at the time.  As a musician, you can always learn no matter where you are as a player.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #709 on: January 11, 2015, 10:20:48 PM »
Exactly.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #710 on: January 12, 2015, 06:34:19 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #711 on: February 12, 2015, 01:29:32 AM »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #712 on: February 12, 2015, 06:58:58 AM »
I'm not a metalhead at all so this is very likely to be uninteresting to me, I do wonder though how it will be received.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #713 on: February 12, 2015, 08:18:06 AM »
Good luck to him.  I hope it's good.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #714 on: February 12, 2015, 08:23:26 AM »
I won't get my hopes up until I find out who's doing vox , but Skolnick/Portnoy is enough to get me following developments for sure.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #715 on: February 12, 2015, 08:23:40 AM »
Sounds like something I might like if it is done well.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #716 on: February 12, 2015, 08:33:35 AM »
Sounds like something I might like if it is done well.

With musicians of that caliber you would think it would be impossible to do poorly, but then again I'm not sure how many original riffs Skolnick has left in him.

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #717 on: February 12, 2015, 08:39:03 AM »

With musicians of that caliber you would think it would be impossible to do poorly, but then again I'm not sure how many original riffs Skolnick has left in him.

I can't see that being a problem.......he's a pretty prolific muso that always seems to have new ideas , good and bad.  And in any case , the vast majority of the riffs in Testament were the work of Peterson.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #718 on: February 12, 2015, 11:09:42 AM »
I think the only danger they could run into is that it would sound like a nostalgia act, or "too close for comfort", given MP's wording of "a history of metal act" and " 'Kill 'Em All' Metallica - so there's a good chunk that's very, very much like that".  MP sometimes has a strange desire to recreate music of the bands he loves, even in original material.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 11:38:13 AM by rumborak »

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #719 on: February 14, 2015, 12:43:56 AM »
Like with every post DT MP project, I will check this out in the form of sound samples or youtube clips but like every post DT Mike Portnoy project I anticipate not being overly impressed. 

I also noticed like every post DT MP project he has to give us a rundown of what types of bands this sounds like. 

I always defended the inspiration corner or DT veering into territory where people accuse them of being a rip off of other bands but this is just to excessive. 

I really don't need people to tell me this sounds like Slipknot meets Devo mixed with Madonna and MC Hammer.  If its good, I'll listen to it.  If not...well...I've saved an awful lot of money not buying stuff over the last 5 years. 

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #720 on: February 14, 2015, 12:04:43 PM »
I won't get my hopes up until I find out who's doing vox , but Skolnick/Portnoy is enough to get me following developments for sure.

That's about where I am. The vocalist may be the tipping point for me. If it were instrumental, I'd already be 100 percent into this.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #721 on: March 07, 2015, 11:21:47 PM »
Anyone see the latest from lol Portnoy?

Offline 425

« Reply #722 on: March 07, 2015, 11:31:58 PM »
This last one was hard for me to watch. I'm one of the people who always tries to see it from his angle and cut him some slack whenever he has a PR nightmare, but this one was really really bad. The best I can give him is that I get being frustrated and not wanting to disappoint fans. Which does not in any way excuse indignation at not getting to cut the line at a hospital. If what I imagine will be the fallout from this does not convince him that he needs someone to help him with PR, I think nothing will.

Side note: When Mike says something like this on a Neal Morse tour, I can't imagine that it's good for Neal's PR either...
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #723 on: March 07, 2015, 11:35:40 PM »
Apparently someone who is a fan of MP and works at the hospital posted in the comments:

I'm a doctor that works at the Whittington hospital in london. I wasn't working in the a&e department tonight however I am sorry to hear of your plight. As much as I'd jump at the opportunity to help you if I actually was on call tonight, please try to understand. Us healthcare professionals don't want anyone to wait or suffer at all, however we encounter life threatening conditions every hour, sometimes every minute, that stop us from seeing others that may be slightly less unwell, as quickly as we'd like. The NHS is under-financed, understaffed, overworked. We do have to economise our resources.
With all the respect I have for you, it hurts when one of my idols insults an organisation I work very hard for. Waiting sucks, I know, but dying patients suck even more.
I sincerely hope you feel better and that the show goes well tonight. Gutted to be missing out due to a prior engagement. Rock on though, love the new Neal Morse album.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #724 on: March 07, 2015, 11:44:54 PM »
Gotta love MP calling that guy an idiot for something that wasn't rude, and just him pointing out the obvious.

Mike's no Kanye, but if he can't see that he was in the wrong here, there is something very wrong with him.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #725 on: March 07, 2015, 11:50:31 PM »

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #726 on: March 08, 2015, 12:14:36 AM »
Wow.  Bad form all round. 

Offline PetFish

« Reply #727 on: March 08, 2015, 12:58:08 AM »

I don't know what's worse, though, the post that started all of this or Mike Portnoy's replies to some of them.  I also work in a hospital and this is just awful.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #728 on: March 08, 2015, 01:36:31 AM »
It was hilarious (in a bad way) seeing him tell people he was banning them for shit that wouldn't even draw a verbal warning from most mods here.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #729 on: March 08, 2015, 01:37:16 AM »
This last one was hard for me to watch. I'm one of the people who always tries to see it from his angle and cut him some slack whenever he has a PR nightmare, but this one was really really bad. The best I can give him is that I get being frustrated and not wanting to disappoint fans. Which does not in any way excuse indignation at not getting to cut the line at a hospital. If what I imagine will be the fallout from this does not convince him that he needs someone to help him with PR, I think nothing will.

Side note: When Mike says something like this on a Neal Morse tour, I can't imagine that it's good for Neal's PR either...

Very well said.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #730 on: March 08, 2015, 03:11:28 AM »
His wife even started commenting on facebook. 

I think it went really well.   :|

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #731 on: March 08, 2015, 03:13:35 AM »
:wtf:

edit: incase people are wondering what's being discussed: https://lambgoat.com/blog/645/Mike-Portnoy-pissed-that-hospital-wouldnt-treat-him-like-someone-important
Just to point out that article is equally stupid. It's basically criticising MP for thinking he's important/famous enough when he isn't, which therefore still implies that it would be fine to bump important/famous people up the queue.

That's not how public healthcare works in the UK. The whole point of PUBLIC healthcare is that it is free and equal to all, and so priorities are entirely done by how much something is an emergency and the severity of the condition - who the person is is irrelevant. If you're rich, famous or important, you or your employer can pay for private healthcare and get seen straight away.

I can only assume that because MP and most of these websites reporting on it are American, they don't actually understand how healthcare works in the UK. As he's not British, he or his insurance will presumably have to pay anyway so I don't know why he went to clog up a public NHS hospital - he should have gone somewhere private.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #732 on: March 08, 2015, 03:31:14 AM »
I didn't even read the article itself. I posted it only because it quoted MP's Facebook post and his subsequent replies (which I thought were important, which is why I didn't just link the Facebook post as they've been buried by masses of other comments already).

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #733 on: March 08, 2015, 04:45:06 AM »
Mike Portnoy can fuck off, this is just unreal.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #734 on: March 08, 2015, 04:47:48 AM »
I can only assume that because MP and most of these websites reporting on it are American, they don't actually understand how healthcare works in the UK. As he's not British, he or his insurance will presumably have to pay anyway so I don't know why he went to clog up a public NHS hospital - he should have gone somewhere private.
Even here in America, if he went to any local ER, he would be seen in order of importance of illness/injury. 

I would have thought that a tour like this would have a local private doctor "on call" for emergencies like this.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.