Author Topic: Mike Portnoy  (Read 193508 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Mike Portnoy
« Reply #665 on: December 08, 2014, 01:29:58 PM »
It'd be Portnoy's step baby.

Don't cross the crooked step!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #666 on: December 08, 2014, 04:03:39 PM »
I don't think Mustaine or Portnoy would want such a thing. DM doesn't really want creative people around him, nor does he want the headstrong. However, the Mustaine, Ellefson, Skolnik, Portnoy thing as a one off project would be really damn cool. Just don't treat is as Megadath 18, or whatever it would be.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #667 on: December 08, 2014, 04:07:56 PM »
However, the Mustaine, Ellefson, Skolnik, Portnoy thing as a one off project would be really damn cool.
Yes it would!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #668 on: December 08, 2014, 06:36:32 PM »
I don't think Mustaine or Portnoy would want such a thing. DM doesn't really want creative people around him, nor does he want the headstrong. However, the Mustaine, Ellefson, Skolnik, Portnoy thing as a one off project would be really damn cool. Just don't treat is as Megadath Hangar 18, or whatever it would be.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #669 on: December 08, 2014, 09:22:41 PM »
Yeah, MP night not want to join Megadeth. I think he would like to create "a Megadeth" though.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #670 on: December 08, 2014, 09:58:10 PM »
Yeah, MP night not want to join Megadeth. I think he would like to create "a Megadeth" though.

I just can't imagine why he'd want to join A7X but not Megadeth.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Calvin6s

« Reply #671 on: December 09, 2014, 01:35:06 AM »

Because A7X is currently (back then more so) a bigger band than Megadeth?

Portnoy and Chris Poland would be pretty cool in Megadeth though.  Even if it only lasted one album.  Only if they revisted the Peace Sells to Rust in Peace vibe though.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #672 on: December 09, 2014, 03:28:30 AM »

It's mainly cause The Revs' main influence in drumming is MP. Ax7 chose MP, to show their respect to fallen brother by having his inspiration to finish his parts and play The Revs written drum  parts. 

Honestly that's pretty great MP chose to do that.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #673 on: December 09, 2014, 04:49:28 PM »
I could see MP joining in a limited capacity.  For a tour and maybe even one album but if anybody thinks it would last longer than that, they're lying to themselves...and Jesus. 

I do think its funny that MP always puts Megadeth in his yearly top ten whenever they have an album out.  He never says anything about the album though.  Every other band he can tell you exactly what he likes about it (It's Beatles meets Chumba Wumba meets Raffi meets Louis Armstrong) but with Megadeth its always, "Oh yeah, and I guess Megadeth"

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #674 on: December 10, 2014, 09:37:34 AM »
It's mainly cause The Revs' main influence in drumming is MP. Ax7 chose MP, to show their respect to fallen brother by having his inspiration to finish his parts and play The Revs written drum  parts. 

Honestly that's pretty great MP chose to do that.

Yeah, but once that was done, and once the tour was done, he actually wanted to join them full time.

Maybe Dave Mustaine should tell MP that Gar Samuelson saw MP as an inspiration.  :lol
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #675 on: January 06, 2015, 05:53:23 AM »
MP posted this on FB:
I just layed down the most brutal drum performance of my career! Picture Angel Of Death meets Dyers Eve…I FINALLY have my metal outlet! \m/
- Which btw reminds me of how he hyped BCSL.
It's not The Winery Dogs (...) More info soon…. : )
The Megadeth speculation ensues... :corn

« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 06:41:28 AM by Sycsa »

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #676 on: January 06, 2015, 06:49:56 AM »
Steve Morse era Deep Purple is pretty poor, but it's still 10 times better than that first Flying Colors album.

For me, all of Purpendicular and selected songs from their other albums with Morse are great.
Yep, plus Now What?! for me is like lighting in a bottle, an unexpected home run, one of Purple's best ever.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #677 on: January 06, 2015, 08:52:42 AM »
That sound waaaaay too brutal to be Megadeth, although I'm having fun with this speculation and would actually like to see Mike in Megadeth.  :metal

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #678 on: January 06, 2015, 12:12:50 PM »
I'm putting my money on the Ellefson/Skolnick project.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online The Letter M

« Reply #679 on: January 06, 2015, 12:21:12 PM »
Whatever it turns out to be, I'll be interested. Whatever Mike is usually in, if it's NEW, then I try to check it out. If he just sits in with a band, like Avenged Sevenfold or Big Elf, I don't really go for it unless I'm already familiar with the band. I like Mike, but I'm not a slave to all he does - I have to like the music of the band he joins if I want to check that out first.

Either way, if this is something with Ellefson and Skolnick, then I'll be slightly interested. I'm not much into thrash metal and traditional heavy metal, but if it sounds good, I might buy it.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #680 on: January 06, 2015, 12:24:05 PM »
I am hoping it will be good.  I liked what Mike did with A7X, so I picked up that album even though they are not a band I am normally into.  He was a good fit for what they were doing on that album.  Never liked any of the Adrenaline Mob stuff, so I skipped that.  But Mike tends to do metal well, as do Ellefson and Skolnick, so I am hopeful if that is what it is.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online The Letter M

« Reply #681 on: January 06, 2015, 12:31:49 PM »
I am hoping it will be good.  I liked what Mike did with A7X, so I picked up that album even though they are not a band I am normally into.  He was a good fit for what they were doing on that album.  Never liked any of the Adrenaline Mob stuff, so I skipped that.  But Mike tends to do metal well, as do Ellefson and Skolnick, so I am hopeful if that is what it is.

Funny because I was the opposite. Well, I checked out AMob because the line-up sounded good, and I liked MP and RA, and the first album isn't bad. Not my typical cup-of-tea, but it's mildly enjoyable. I never checked out A7X since I was never much of a fan of them, so I never thought to check them out, even if MP was on their album. Same goes with Big Elf, although I hear a lot of good things about Big Elf.

I think my main problem with those 1-off album appearances is that he's just a guest member, and probably didn't have much to contribute musically (or lyrically) to the album, so I feel like it's just him drumming along. Somehow I feel like the music stands out better for me if I can get a sense of his creative input, especially since his drummer alone has become rather predictable over the years. If he can at least provide creative input on the music and/or lyrics, then I feel like it's truly an MP project and not just a guest-session.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #682 on: January 06, 2015, 12:39:14 PM »
I think BigElf and Amob are the only projects/appearances I did not end up buying.  To me, it just comes down to what I like, and I have liked what he has done in his other projects/appearances.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online The Letter M

« Reply #683 on: January 06, 2015, 12:48:38 PM »
I think BigElf and Amob are the only projects/appearances I did not end up buying.  To me, it just comes down to what I like, and I have liked what he has done in his other projects/appearances.

:tup

Regardless of what this upcoming project is, I may or may not check it out, but I tend to pass up his heavier projects and album appearances, unless the line-up really intrigues me. Honestly, I wish he had made a studio album is PSMS, as they had a lot of talent and musical prowess.

Either way, it looks like MP will be busy this year with his "mystery project", a second Winery Dogs album, a tour for the new Neal Morse Band album, and probably more touring for the Winery Dogs.

-Marc.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #684 on: January 07, 2015, 02:49:00 AM »
btw reminds me of how he hyped BCSL.

Hey everyone our new album is like all our best songs on one album  ! !!! !! : ) : ) : )

... no mike it wasn't.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #685 on: January 07, 2015, 08:53:31 AM »
A super-heavy project is likely not going to tickle my fancy.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #686 on: January 07, 2015, 08:57:00 AM »
It will mine! :metal

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #687 on: January 07, 2015, 08:58:21 AM »
Am I getting the progressive death and/or thrash project I want from him?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #688 on: January 07, 2015, 08:59:57 AM »
Well, if it's progressive death, I'm out. If it's thrash, I'm in.

I'd be happy with progressive thrash! ;D

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #689 on: January 07, 2015, 09:56:46 AM »
Reading your other posts on this subject matter, I get the impression that what most people around here would refer to as super-heavy would not be your cup of tea.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #690 on: January 07, 2015, 11:45:12 AM »
Well, if it's progressive death, I'm out. If it's thrash, I'm in.

Given how I view Opeth as progressive death metal, I would have no problems with that. I don't have high hopes though; MP seems to really like straightforward metal, so my guess is that's what it will be.
Sometimes I wonder when (or whether) he kinda lost interest in prog metal. He stopped practicing his craft, started introducing stuff like straight metal (ToT) and Muse into DT... It always struck me that for a long time MP tried to change DT to align now with his musical tastes, and when that didn't work out, he pulled the chute. And now that he's out, he can do all that music.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #691 on: January 07, 2015, 12:32:55 PM »
Sometimes I wonder when (or whether) he kinda lost interest in prog metal. He stopped practicing his craft, started introducing stuff like straight metal (ToT) and Muse into DT... It always struck me that for a long time MP tried to change DT to align now with his musical tastes, and when that didn't work out, he pulled the chute. And now that he's out, he can do all that music.
There certainly seems to be an element of this.

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #692 on: January 07, 2015, 12:44:59 PM »
Reading your other posts on this subject matter, I get the impression that what most people around here would refer to as super-heavy would not be your cup of tea.
As always with me, it would depend on the vocals.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #693 on: January 10, 2015, 10:44:13 AM »
I'm putting my money on the Ellefson/Skolnick project.

I'd probably enjoy this given that I'm a Skolnick fan

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #694 on: January 10, 2015, 02:23:14 PM »
There certainly seems to be an element of this.

He doesn't seem to have much loyalty to genres of music or bands.  If you look at his top albums they are all over the place which is a cool thing if you ask me (I actually just had two CDs come in the mail that are very opposite from each other: Air (french electronic mellow pop) and Halford).  But he doesn't seem to stand by a band or genre once his phase of interest is over.  For instance, he named two Public Enemy albums in his top 100 but appears to not give a shit about anything else they've done.  I love Public Enemy and have every one of their albums.  Some I like more than others but I am loyal to the group and will always buy whatever album they put out.  Sometimes I am underwhelmed (New Whirl Odor) and sometimes I am blown away (How You Sell Soul to a Soulless People Who Sold Their Soul?) but I am always interested in what they do next. 

His musical tastes are always changing so dramatically it has made his career sort of uninteresting to follow.  It actually used to be one of the things I loved to follow about his career.  I don't care much for The Who and I am not a huge Zeppelin fan but I bought those tribute albums just to discover new things about bands I only had a minor interest in.  Now it just seems like he does stuff to check off his list. 

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #695 on: January 10, 2015, 06:59:07 PM »
I think I would be more interested also if he was a highly versatile drummer who morphed into whatever style he plays in. I was listening to the new Neal Morse track the other day, and his drumming was just so predictable. Exactly the same sounds he's had for decades, same fills, even the stick twirl he does at the beginning of every single music video (or so it seems to me).
Like, I'm not saying he's phoning it in, but drumming seems to be an exercise in muscle memory for him a lot.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 07:07:09 PM by rumborak »

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #696 on: January 10, 2015, 10:37:39 PM »
I haven't listened to much post-DT Portnoy output but a month or two ago someone posted a Winery Dogs show or something and I decided i was going to force myself to listen to several songs.  For many of those songs he used the same drum pattern.  Thing is, it wasn't just a common drum pattern you might hear in any other band...it was one that I loved that MP had done for a few DT songs (and was very subtle) but now that it was for music that didn't interest me, it stood out terribly and seemed pretty uninspired.   

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #697 on: January 10, 2015, 11:30:32 PM »
Pretty much expected. When a lot of rock musicians reach MP's age they get to a point where they stop being adventurous and sort of stick to their typical bag of tricks. Same thing happened to Neal Morse and has even happened to Petrucci. Though to JP's credit he had least tried to take influence from djent stuff on some of DT12.

Not that it's a good thing, but this is definitely not something unique to MP.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #698 on: January 11, 2015, 07:42:24 AM »
I think I would be more interested also if he was a highly versatile drummer who morphed into whatever style he plays in. I was listening to the new Neal Morse track the other day, and his drumming was just so predictable. Exactly the same sounds he's had for decades, same fills, even the stick twirl he does at the beginning of every single music video (or so it seems to me).
Like, I'm not saying he's phoning it in, but drumming seems to be an exercise in muscle memory for him a lot.

This is largely a reason I don't really care for MP's drumming. It's impressive but it isn't really fresh.

Pretty much expected. When a lot of rock musicians reach MP's age they get to a point where they stop being adventurous and sort of stick to their typical bag of tricks. Same thing happened to Neal Morse and has even happened to Petrucci. Though to JP's credit he had least tried to take influence from djent stuff on some of DT12.

Not that it's a good thing, but this is definitely not something unique to MP.

I agree with this 100%, it's not just MP who does this.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #699 on: January 11, 2015, 09:04:50 AM »
I think this is a fair statement.